Queene Hithe Warde
Queene Hithe Warde.; Knightriders streete.; Trinity lane.; Spuren lane, or Huggen lane.; Finimore or fiue foote lane.; Desborne lane
Next vnto Bredstreete Warde on the south side thereof, is
Queene Hithe warde, so called of a water gate, or harborow
for boates, lighters, and barges, and was of old time for
shippes, at what time the timber bridge of London was
drawne vp, for the passage of them to the said Hithe, as to
a principall strand for landing and vnlading against the
middest and hart of the Citie. This Warde beginneth in
the East, in Knightriders streete, on the south side thereof,
at the East end of the parish church called the holy Trinity,
and runneth west on the south side to a lane called Lambert
hill, which is the length of the warde in Knightriders streete,
out of the which streete are diuers lanes, running south to
Thames streete, and are of this warde: the first is Trinity
lane, which runneth downe by the west end of Trinity Church.
Then is Spuren lane, or Spooners (fn. 1) lane, now called Huggen
lane. Then Bredstreete hill. Then S. Mary Mounthaunt:
out of the which streete are diuers lanes, running south to
lane, turning East, through S. Nicholas Olaues church yard, to
Bredstreete hill. This lane is called Finimore lane, or fiue
foote lane, because it is but fiue foote in breadth at the west
end: In the middest of this lane, runneth downe one other
lane broader, south to Thames streete, I thinke the same to
bee called Desboorne lane, for I reade of such a lane to haue
beene in the parish of Mary Summerset, in the 22. yeare of
Edward the third, where there is sayde to lye betweene the
Tenement <of> Edward de Mountacute knight, on the East
parte, and the Tenement sometime pertayning to William
Gladwine on the west, one plot of ground, contayning in length
towards Thames streete 25. foote, &c.
Last of all, haue you Lambart hill lane, so called of one
Lambart owner thereof: and this is the furthest west part of
On the north side comming downe from Knightriders street,
the East side of Lambart hill is wholly of this warde: and
the west side, from the north end of the Blacke-smithes Hall
(which is about the middest of this lane) vnto Thames streete.
Then part of Thames streete is also of this warde, to wit,
from a Cooks house called the signe of King Dauid, three
houses west from the old Swan Brewhouse in the East, vnto
Huntington house, ouer against Saint Peters Church in the
west, neare vnto Powles Wharffe. And on the lane side,
from a Cookes house called the blew Boore, to the west end
of Saint Peters Church, and vp Saint Peters hill, two houses
North aboue the said Church. And these be the bounds of
this ward: in which are Parrish churches seuen, Halles of
companies two, & other ornaments as shall be shewed.
Parish church of the Trinity.
First, in Knightriders streete, is the small parish church of
the holy Trinity, very old, and in danger of downe falling:
collections haue beene made for reparing thereof, but they
will not stretch so farre, and therefore it leaneth vpon proppes,
or stilts. Monuments as followeth.
Iohn Brian, Alderman in the raign of H. the fift, a great
benefactor. Iohn Chamber had a Chauntrie there. Thomas
Rishby Esquier, and Alice his wife, within the Chauncell.
Iohn Mirfin, auditor of the Exchequer 1471. Sir Richard
Fowlar of Rycote (fn. 2) in Oxfordshire, 1528. George Cope second
sonne to sir Iohn Cope of Copesashby in Northamptonshire, 1572.
Parish church of S. Nicholas Cold Abbey.
Towardes the west end of Knightriders street is the parish
church of S. Nicholas Cold Abbey, a proper church, somewhat
ancient, as appeareth by the wayes raysed thereabout, so that
men are forced to descend into the body of the church: it
hath bin called of many Colden (fn. 3) Abbey, of some, Cold Abbey (fn. 3)
or Cold Bey, & so hath the most ancient writings, as standing
in a cold place, as Cold harbor, and such like. The steeple or
tall tower of this church, with the south Ile, hath beene of
a later building, to wit the I. of R. 2. when it was ment the
whole old church should haue bin new builded, as appeareth
by the arching begun on the east side the steeple, vnder ye
which, in the stone work, the armes of one Buckland Esquier
and his wife, daughter to Beaupere, are cut in stone, & also
are in the glasse windowes, wherby it appeareth he was the
builder of ye steeple, & repairer of the residue. The 26. of
E. the 3. An(drew) Aubery being Maior, T. Frere Fishmonger gaue one peece of ground to the said parish church of
S. Nic. contayning 86. feete in length, & 43. feete at one end,
and 34. at the other in bredth, for a Cemitorie or churchyeard.
The 20. of Richard the second, Thomas Barnarde-Castle,
Clearke, Iohn Sonderash Clearke, and Iohn Nouncy, gaue to
the Parson and Churchwardens of the saide church and theyr
successors, one messuage and one shoppe with the appurtenances in Distaffe lane and olde Fishstreete, for the reparation
of the body of the saide church, the Belfrey or steeple, and
Buried in this church, Iohn Calfe, & William Cogeshall,
1426. Waltar Turke Fishmonget, Mayor 1349. Richarde
Es<g>astone Fishmonger, 1330. Nicholas Wolberge Fishmonger, 1407. Thomas Padington Fishmonger, 1485. Robert Hary,
Fishmonger, Iohn Suring, 1490. Roger Darlington Fishmonger, 1557. Richard Lacty, Parson, vnder a fayre tombe
on the North side the Quire, 1491. Richard Bradbrudge, 1497.
William Clarke, 1501. Iames Picman, 1507. Richard Farneford, 1525. Thomas Nicholas, Fishmonger, 1527. William
Barde Fishmonger, 1528.
On the North side of this church in the wall therof, was of
late builded a conuenient cistern of stone and lead, for receit
of Thames water, conueyed in pipes of lead to that place, for
the ease and commoditie of the Fishmongers and other inhabitantes, in and aboute old Fishstreete. Barnard Randolph,
common sergeant of the citie of London, did in his life time
deliuer to the Company of Fishmongers the summe of nine
hundred pound, to be imployed towardes the conducting of
the said Thames water, and cesterning the same, &c. in the
parishes of S. Mary Magdalen, and saint Nicholas Cold Abbay,
neare vnto Fishstreete, seuen hundred pound, and other two
hundred pound to charitable deedes: he deceased 1583. and
shortly after this conduit with the other was made and
Painter stayners hall.; Earle of Cornwel his house.; Parish church of S. Nicholas Oliue.; Old Fishstreete hill.; Bishop of Herefords house.
In Trinity lane, on the west side thereof, is the Painter
stayners hall, for so of olde time were they called, but now
that workemanship of stayning is departed out of vse in
England. Lower down in Trinity lane on the east side thereof,
was sometime a greate Messuage pertayning vnto Iohn Earle
of Cornwell, in the fourteenth of Edward the 3. On Bredstreet hill down to the Thames on both sides, bee diuers
faire houses, inhabited by Fishmongers, Cheesemongers, and
Marchantes of diuers trades. On the West side whereof is the
parish church of S. Nicholas Oliue, a conuenient church,
hauing the monumentes of W. Newport, Fishmonger, one of
the shiriffes, 1375. Richard Willowes Parson, 1391. Richard
Sturges Fishmonger, 1470. Thomas Lewen, Ironmonger, one
of the shiriffes, 1537. who gaue his messuage with the appurtenances, wherein hee dwelt, with foureteene Tenementes in the
said parrish of saint Nicholas, to be had after the decease of
Agnes his wife, to the Ironmongers, and they to giue stipendes
appointed to Almes men, in fiue houses by them builded in
the church yeard of that parrish, more to poore schollers in
Oxford and Cambridge, &c. Blitheman, an excellent Organist
of the Queens chappell, lyeth buried there with an Epitaph,
1591. &c. The next is old Fishstreete hill, a lane so called,
which also runneth downe to Thames streete. In this lane, on
the east side thereof, is the one end of Finimore, or Fiue foote
lane. On the west side of this old Fishstreete hill, is the
Bishoppe of Herefordes Inne or lodging, and auncient house
and large roomes builded of stone and timber which sometime
belonged to the Mounthauntes in Norfolke. Radulphus de Maydenstone Bishoppe of Hereford, about 1234. bought it of the
Mounthauntes, and gaue it to the Bishoppes of Hereford, his
successors. Charles Booth (fn. 4) , Bishoppes of Hereforde and Chauncellour of the Marches, about the yeare 1517. repayred it, since
the which time, the same is greatly ruinated, and is now diuided
into many small tenementes: the Hall and principall rooms are
an house to make Suger loaues, &c.
Parish church of Saint Mary Monte alto.; Robert Belkenape his house giuen to W. Wickham.
Next adioyning is the parrish church of S. Mary de Monte
Alto, or Mounthaunt, this is a very small church, and at the
first builded to be a Chapple for the said house of the Mounthaunts, and for Tenementes thereunto belonging. The Bishop
of Hereforde is Patron thereof. Monumentes in this church
of Iohn Glocester Alderman, 1345, who gaue Salt wharfe for
two Chaunteries there, Iohn Skip Bishoppe of Hereford 1539.
sate xii. yeares, died at London in time of Parliament, and
was buried in this church. There was sometime a fayre house
in the saide parrish of Saint Mary Mounthaunt, belonging to
Roberte Belkenape, one of the Kinges Iustices, but the saide
Belkenape being banished this Realme, King Richarde the
second, in the twelfth of his raigne, gaue it to William Wickham Bishoppe of Winchester.
One old hall of the Fishmongers.; Fishmonger Hallmotes, six in number.; Pattents.
On the east side of this olde Fishstreete hill, is one greate
House, now letten out for rent, which house sometime was one
of the Halles, pertayning to the Company of Fishmongers, at
such time as they had sixe Hallmotes or meeting places:
namely, twaine in Bridgestreete, or new Fish streete, twaine
in old Fish street, whereof this was one, and twain in Stockfishmonger row or Thames street, as appeareth by a Record,
the 22. of Richarde the second.
Lambard hill.; Blacksmithes hall.
Next westward, is one other lane called Lambard hill, the
East side whereof is wholy of this Warde, and but halfe the
west side, to wit, from the north end of the blacke Smithes hall.
Parish church of S. Michaell at Queene Hith.
Then in Thames street of this ward, and on the north side
ouer against the Queens Hith, is the parrish church of saint
Michaell, a conuenient Church, but all the Monumentes therein
I finde that Stephen Spilman, Gentleman, of that Family in
Norfolke, sometime Mercer, Chamberlaine of London, then
one of the Shiriffes and Alderman, in the yeare 1404. deceasing without issue, gaue his landes to his Family the Spilmans,
and his goodes to the making or repayring of bridges and
other like godly vses: And amongst others in this church
he founded a chauntrie, and was buried in the Quire.
Also Richard Marlowe, Ironmonger, Mayor 1409. gaue
twenty pound to the poore of that Warde, and ten markes to
Pyellane. Parrish church of Saint Mary Summerset.; Summers Hithe.
Richard Gray Ironmonger, one of the shiriffes, one thousand
fiue hundred and fifteene, gaue forty pound to that church,
and was buried there. At the West end of that church goeth
vp a lane, called Pyellane. On the same North side, at the
South end of Saint Mary Mounthaunt Lane, is the Parrish
Church of Saint Mary Summerset, ouer against the Broken
Wharfe: it is a proper church, but the monumentes are all
defaced. I thinke the same to bee of olde time called Summers
Hith, of some mans name that was owner of the grounde neare
adioyning, as Edreds Hithe was so called of Edred owner
thereof, and sithence called Queene Hith, as pertayning to the
Parish church of S. Peter parua by Powles wharfe.
Then is a small Parrish church of Saint Peter, called parua
or little, neare vnto Powles wharfe: In this Church no Monumentes doe remaine. At the West ende thereof, is a Lane
called Saint Peters Hill, but two houses vp that Lane on the
east side is of this warde, and the rest is of Castle Baynarde
Townes ende lane.
On the South side of Thames streete, beginning againe in
the East, among the Cookes: The first in this warde, is the
signe of Dauid the king: then is Townes end lane, turning
downe to the Thames. Then is Queene Hith, a large receptacle for shippes, lighters, barges and such other vessels.
Edreds hith or Queene Hith. Lib. Trinitate.
Touching the Antiquitie and vse of this gate and Hith,
first I finde the same belonged to one named Edred, and
was then called Edreds Hith, which since falling to the handes
of King Stephen, it was by his Charter confirmed to William
De Ypre: the Farme thereof in Fee and in Heritage, William
De Ypre gaue it vnto the Prior and Couent of the Holy Trinitie
within Aldegate, as appeareth by this Charter: To Theobalde
by the grace of God Archbishop of Canterbury, primate of
England, and Legate Apostolike, to the Bishoppe of London,
and to all faithfull people, Clarkes and Laye men, William
de Ypre sendeth greeting.
Know ye me to haue giuen and graunted to God, and to
the Church of the Holy Trinitie of London, to the Prior and
cannons there seruing God in perpetuall almes, Edreds Hith
with the appurtenances, with such deuotion, that they shall
send euery yeare twentie pound vnto the maintenance of the
Hospital of S. Katherens, which hospitall they haue in their
hands, & 100. shillinges to the monkes of Bermondsey, & 60.
shillinges to the brethren of the hospitall of saint Giles, and
that which remayneth, the said Prior and Canons shall enioy
to themselues: Witnesses Richard de Lucie, Raph Picot, &c.
This Edreds Hithe after the aforesaid grantes, came againe
to the Kinges handes, by what meanes I haue not read, but
it pertayned vnto the Queene, and therefore was called Ripa
reginæ, the Queenes banke or Queens Hith, and great profite
therof was made to her vse, as may appeare by this which
Ships of the ports arrested, and forced to bring their corne to Queene Hith.; Liberty of the Queens Hith from the Stilyeard to the Black Fryers.; Soke is court.
King Henry the third, in the ninth of his raigne, commaunded the Constable of the Tower of London to arrest
the shippes of the Cinque portes on the Riuer of Thames,
and to compell them to bring their corne to no other place
but to the Queens Hith onely. In the eleuenth of his raigne,
hee charged the sayde Constable to destraine all fish offered
to be sold in any place of this cittie, but at the Queene Hith.
Moreouer in the twentie eight of the said kings raign, an
inquisition was made before William of Yorke, Prouost of
Beuerley, Henry of Bath, and Hierome of Caxton, Iustices
Itenerantes, sitting in the Tower of London, touching the
customs of Queen Hith, obserued in the year last before the
wars betweene the king and his father, and the Barons of
England, and of olde customes of other times, & what customes
had beene changed, at what time the taxe and payment of al
things comming thether, and between woorepath, and Anede
Hith, were found and ceased, according to the olde order,
as well corne and fish as of other thinges: all which customes
were as well to be obserued in the parte of Downegate, as
in Queen Hith, for the King vse. When also it as found,
that the corne arriuing between the gate of the Guild hall of
the Merchantes of Colleyne, and the soke of the Archbishop
of Canterbury (for he had a house neare vnto the Blacke
Fryers) was not to be measured by any other quarter, then
by that of the Queenes soke.
After this, the Baliffes of the said Hith complayned, that
since the said Recognision, foureteene forraine ships laden
with Fishe, arriued at Belinges gate, which shippes should
haue arriued at the saide Hith: And therefore it was ordered,
that if any forraine shippe laden with fish, should in forme
aforesaid arriue else where then at this Hith, it should bee
at the Kinges pleasure to amerce them at fortie shillinges.
Notwithstanding, the shippes of the Citizens of London
were at libertie to arriue where the owners would appoynt
Queen Hith let to farme to the Maior and Comminaltie of London.
After this, the saide Henrie the third confirmed the graunt
of Richard Earle of Cornwell, for the Farme of the Queene
Hithe, vnto Iohn Gisors then Maior, and to the Comminaltie
of London, and their successors for euer, as by this his Charter
Lib. Trinitate Lon.
Henry by the grace of God, king of England, Lord of
Ireland, Duke of Guien, and Earle of Aniow, to all Archbishops, &c. Bee it knowne, that we haue seene the couenant
betweene our brother Richard Earle of Cornwell, of the one
partie, and the Maior and Comminaltie of London on the
other partie, which was in this sort. In the 30. yeare of
Henry the sonne of king Iohn, vpon the feast of the translation of S. Edward at Westminster, this couenant was made
betweene the honorable lord Richard Earle of Cornwel, and
Iohn Gisors then Maior of London, and the Commons thereof,
concerning certaine exactions and demands pertaining to the
Queen Hithe of London. The said Earle granted for himselfe
and his heires, that the said Maior, and all Maiors insuing,
and all the Commons of the citie, should haue and holde the
Queene Hithe, with all the liberties, customes, and other appurtenances, repaying yearly to the said Earle, his heires and
assignes, 50.li. at Clarken well, at two seuerall tearmes: to
wit, the Sunday after Easter 25. pound, and at Michaelmas
25. pound. And for more suretie hereof, the said Earle hath
set thereunto his seale, and left it with the Maior, and the
Maior and Comminaltie haue set to their seale, and left it
with the Earle. Wherefore we confirme and establish the
saide couenant for vs, and for our heyres, Witnesses, Raph
Fitz Nichol, Richard Gray, Iohn and Wil. Brithem, Paulin
Painter, Raph Wancia, Iohn Cumband, and other: at
Windsor the 26. of Februarie, the 31. of our reigne.
Rob. Fabian.; Li. Constitut.; Custome of Queen Hithe.; A corne meater, 8. M. porters, and 24. porters vnder them, at queen hithe.
The charge of this Queene Hithe was then committed to
the Shiriffes, and so hath continued euer since, the profits
whereof are sore diminished so that (as writeth Robert Fabian)
it was worth in his time little aboue 20. markes, or 15. pound
one yeare with an other. Now for customs of this Queene
Hithe, in the yeare 1302. the 30. of Edward the first, it was
found by the oath of diuerse men, that Bakers, Brewers, and
others buying their corne at Queene Hithe, should pay for
measuring, portage, and carriage for euery quarter of corne
whatsoeuer, from thence to west Cheap, to Saint Anthonies
Church, to Horshew Bridge, and to Woolsey streete in the
Parish of Alhallowes the lesse, and such like distances, one
ob. q.: to Fleete bridge, to Newgate, Cripplegate, to Bercheouers lane, to Eastcheape and Billingsgate, one pennie. Also
that the measurer (or the meater) ought to haue 8. chiefe
Master Porters, euery master to haue three porters vnder
him, and euery one of them to finde one horse, and
sackes, and he that so did not, to loose his office. This
Hithe was then so frequented with vessels, bringing thither
corne (besides fish, salt, fewel, and other marchandizes) that
all these men, to wit, the meater, and porters, 37. in number,
for all their charge of horses and sackes, and small stipend,
liued well of their labors: but now the Bakers of London
and other Citizens trauell into the Countries, and buy their
corne of the Farmers, after the Farmers price.
Liber Guild.; Romeland at Queen Hithe.
King Edward the second in the first of his raigne, gaue to
Margaret, wife to Peter de Gauestone, fortie three pound,
twelue shillings nine pence ob. q. out of the rent of London,
to be receiued of the Queenes Hithe. Certaine Impositions
were set vpon ships and other vessels comming thither, as
vpon corne, salt, and other things, toward the charge of
cleansing Roomeland there, the 41. of Edward the 3.
Queene Hithe to be more frequented of ships & boats then Billingsgate.
The third of Edward the fourth, the Market at Queene
Hithe being hindred by the slackenesse of drawing vp
London bridge, it was ordained, that all maner of Vesselles,
Shippes, or boats, great or small, resorting to the Citie with
victuall, should bee solde by retaile, and that if there came
but one vessell at a time, were it salt, Wheate, Rie, or other
Corne from beyond the Seas, or other graines, Garlicke,
Onions, Hearings, Sprattes, Eles, Whiting, Place, Cods,
Mackarell, &c. then that one vessell should come to Queene
Hithe, and there to make sale: but if two vessels come, the
one should come to Queene Hithe, the other to Billingsgate:
if three, two of them should come to Queene Hithe, the third
to Belingsgate, &c. alwaies the more to Queene Hithe: if the
vessel being great, comming with salt from the Bay, and could
not come to these keyes, then the same to be conueyed by
lighters, as before is ment.
A garner for corne & stowage-house for malt at Queene Hithe.
One large house for stowage of corne craned out of Lighters
and Barges, is there lately builded: sir Iohn Lion, Grocer,
Maior 1554. by his testament gaue an hundred pounde towardes it, but since increased and made larger at the charges
of the citie, in the yeare 1565.
Corne Mill vpon barges or lighters on the Thames.; Two corne mils in one barge giuen to this citie, 1525.
Against this Queenes Hithe, on the riuer Thames of late
yeres was placed a corne Mill, vpon, or betwixt two barges or
lighters, and there ground corne, as water Milles in other
places, to the wonder of many that had not seene the like,
but this lasted not long without decay, such as caused the
same Barges and Mill to bee remooued, taken asunder, and
soone forgotten. I reade of the like to haue beene in former
time, as thus: In the yeare, 1525. the sixteene of Henrie the
eight, Sir William Bayly being Maior, Iohn Cooke of Glocester,
Mercer, gaue to the Maior and Comminaltie of London and
theyrs (fn. 5) for euer, one great Barge, in the which two corne Milles
were made and placed, which Barge and Milles were set in, and
vpon the streame of the Riuer Thames, within the iurisdiction
and libertie of said citie of London.
And also he gaue to the Cittie all such Tymber, Bourdes,
Stones, Iron, &c. prouided for making, mending, and repayring of the sayde Barge, and Milles, in rewarde whereof, the
Maior gaue him fiftie pounde presently, and fiftie pounde
yearely during his life, and if the sayde Cooke deceased before
Iohan his wife, then shee to haue fortie Markes the yeare
during her life.
Stew lane.; Timber hithe.; Brooks wharff.; Broken wharff.; Bygots house by broken wharfe.
Next adioyning to this Queene Hithe, on the West side
thereof, is Salt Wharffe, named of Salt taken vp, measured
and sold there. The next is Stew lane, of a stewe or hotte
house there kept. After that is Timber Hithe, or Timber
street, so called of Timber or Boordes there taken vp and
wharffed: it is in the parrish of saint Marie Somershithe, as
I reade in the fiftie six of Henrie the third, and in the ninth
of Edward the second. Then is Brookes wharfe & broken
wharfe, a watergate or key, so called of beeing broken and
fallen downe into the Thames. By this broken Wharffe,
remayneth one large olde building of stone, with Arched
Gates, which Messuage as I finde in the raigne of Henry the
third the 43. yeare, pertaining vnto Hugh de Bygot, and in the
xi. of Edward the third, to Thomas Brothertun the kings
brother, Earle of Norffolke, Marshall of England. In the xi.
of Henry the sixt. to Iohn Mowbray Duke of Norffolke, &c.
An engine for enforcing of Thames water.; Trigge lane, Bosse lane.
Within the gate of this house, (now belonging to the citie
of London) is lately, to wit, in the year, 1594. and 1595.
builded one large house of great height, called an engine,
made by Beuis Bulmar Gentleman, for the conueying and
forcing of Thames water to serue in the middle and West
parts of the Citie. The auncient great hall of this messuage
is yet standing, and partayning to a great Brew-house for
Beere. West from this is Trigge lane, going downe to the
Thames. Next is called Bosse lane, of a Bosse of water, like
vnto that of Belingsgate, there placed by the executors of
Richard Wittington. Then is one great messuage somtime
belonging to the Abbots of Chartsey in Surrey, and was their
Inne, wherein they were lodged when they repayred to the
Citie: it is now called Sandie house, by what reason I haue
not heard. I thinke the Lord Sands haue beene lodged there.
And this is an end of this Queene Hithe ward: which hath
an Alderman, and his Deputie, common Counsell sixe, Constables nine, Scauengers eight, Wardmote Inquest thirteene,
and a Beedle. It is taxed to the fifteene in London twentie
pound, and in the Exchequer at xix. pound xvi.s. two pence.