Cleveland Street

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

J. R. Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (editors)

Year published

1949

Supporting documents

Page

40

Citation Show another format:

'Cleveland Street', Survey of London: volume 21: The parish of St Pancras part 3: Tottenham Court Road & neighbourhood (1949), pp. 40. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=65164 Date accessed: 22 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

XLIX—CLEVELAND STREET

The western boundary of the parish now runs through the centre of Cleveland Street from the junction of Mortimer Street and Goodge Street to the Euston Road. Formerly the east side of the street, from Goodge Street to a little short of the Outpatients Department of the Middlesex Hospital, lay in St. Marylebone and it is therefore excluded from this volume. The east side is numbered from south to north and contains the even numbers.

The Outpatients Department of the Middlesex Hospital which was built as a workhouse to serve the parish of St. Paul Covent Garden is a large block, four storeys in height, built of plain stock brick, set well back from the road behind a wall with lofty piers and two gateways. At each end of the wall is a side building of two storeys fronting on the street. The centre block is arranged with two projecting wings, each having two sash windows to a floor, the recessed portion between being five windows in width. The entrance is in the centre with a large porch having three slender wood columns at each corner. The building remains substantially as built in 1788. (ref. 41) Adjoining the northern flanking building is No. 46, a house with a plain front of two storeys in stock brick.

North of Howland Street four old houses remain (Nos. 54 to 60), but of these No. 60 alone retains features of interest. It has an early shop front, with two doors possessing square fanlights above them.

Farther north beyond Maple Street a row of early 19th-century houses still stands (Nos. 66 to 82). The first three are of three storeys, as is No. 82, the remainder having an additional floor. All except No. 76 have shops, those to Nos. 66 and 68 being old. No. 76, which is fronted with stucco on the ground floor, has a door with a semi-circular head and fanlight. All have two windows to each floor except No. 82, which has three windows and a modern cement front. The Bromley Arms at the south corner of Grafton Way is a late building of no interest.

From Grafton Way to Fitzroy Mews the houses have been rebuilt, but north of the Mews as far as Cleveland House at the south corner of Warren Street, is a row of old houses (Nos. 92 to 126). They are mostly three storeys in height and from 94 to 106 are three windows in width. No. 92, at the north corner of Fitzroy Mews, has only a single window to each floor, with an iron balcony to the first floor. Nos. 94 to 100 have old shops and No. 106 possesses an elaborate bowed shop front, with old work apparently brought from elsewhere. There is a good door in the centre with pediment and pilasters with urns and carved enrichment. Nos. 108 to 126 are narrower houses with two windows to each floor. Nos. 108 and 116 have late shops with the shop door and house door adjoining each other. Nos. 112 and 114 have modernized shop fronts, but the doorway of the latter is fitted with a dwarf iron gate with cast masks at the angles. No. 120 is the only house in this row that has not been fitted with a shop, and has on the ground floor an arched door, with fanlight. It has kept its old railings. No. 122 has a modern shop but Nos. 124 and 126 retain their old fronts.

References

41. M.L.R. 1788/7/204.


<--Previous:
Tottenham Street
Next:-->
Chitty Street