LVIII.—LXIV.—Nos. 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11,
The ground landlord of No. 5 is Archibald Lawrence Langman,
Esq.; of No. 6, Messrs. E. E. Belfour and C. H. Turner; of No. 7, the
Combined Estates Company; and of No. 11, the Rev. R. N. Buckmaster.
General description and date of structure.
From the description which has been given of the sites of the
buildings appurtenant to the Hospital, it would seem that Denmark Street
occupies the site of one or perhaps two of those immediately north of the
Master's house. The street appears to have been formed a little before
the year 1687. It is not shown in Morden and Lea's Map of 1682, but is
referred to in a deed of the former year (fn. 1) as containing plots unbuilt on.
Its name was apparently given in honour of Prince George of Denmark,
who had in 1683 married the Princess (afterwards Queen) Anne.
Nos. 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10, Denmark Street seem all to be the original
houses erected towards the end of the 17th century, but have been considerably altered both externally and internally.
No. 4 retains its original deal doorcase with carved consoles; it has a
lion's head in the centre over the doorway. The staircase has a continuous
newel with winders housed into it.
No. 5 still has its original deal staircase with panelled walls, close
strings and twisted balusters, a detail of which is given on Plate 56.
No. 6 is somewhat similar.
No. 7 has a doorcase somewhat similar to that of No. 4, but with a
pediment (Plate 57). The interior is of interest, as the original staircase
remains (Plate 58). It has close moulded strings, square newels and turned
and twisted balusters.
No. 9 has the original staircase with turned and twisted balusters.
No. 10 has a somewhat similar staircase, but the doorcase shown on
Plate 59 is an 18th-century addition.
No. 11 has been demolished. It was an 18th–century building. The
stone doorhead is shown on Plate 59.
Hidden behind the rear of No. 27, Denmark Street is the old-fashioned
smithy shown on Plate 60. It is not a little surprising to discover an
example of such manual labour surrounded by firms using modern
mechanical labour-saving devices.
Dr. John Purcell, a prominent London physician, who published A Treatise on
Vapours or Hysteric Fits and A Treatise of the Cholick was living at No. 10 in 1730.
He died in the same year.
The "Rev. Mr. Majendie," afterwards "Rev. Dr. Majendie," is shown by the
ratebooks as occupying No. 10 from 1758 to 1771. He was probably John James
Majendie, son of the Bishop of Chester and Bangor. He was the author of several
religious works in English and French, and in 1774 became Canon of Windsor. He
died in 1783
In the Council's collection are:—
Denmark Street. View of south side from the east (photograph).
(fn. 2) No. 5, Denmark Street. Details of staircase (measured drawing).
No. 7, Denmark Street. Entrance doorway (photograph).
(fn. 2) No. 7, Denmark Street. Entrance doorway (measured drawing).
(fn. 2) No. 7, Denmark Street, Details of staircase (measured drawing).
(fn. 2) Nos. 10 and 11 Denmark Street. Doorcases (photograph).
(fn. 2) Blacksmith's forge (photograph).