Survey of London: volume 6: Hammersmith
James Bird and Philip Norman (general editors)
Sketch plan of Hammersmith
'The 'Cock and Magpie', No. 170 King Street', Survey of London: volume 6: Hammersmith (1915), pp. 116. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=98072 Date accessed: 24 July 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
XLIV.—THE COCK AND MAGPIE, No. 170 KING STREET
Old prints, drawings, Etc.
In the Council's Ms. collection are:
Hammersmith has long been famous for its old coaching inns and
taverns, and an interesting set of water-colour drawings of sixteen of them
by J. T. Wilson, in the middle of the last century, is preserved in the Coates
Collection. Few have remained to the present day. The Cock and Magpie
is a pleasant, long and low building with tiled roof, set well back from the
road, part of the forecourt being now occupied by the bar.
Water-colour drawing by J. T. Wilson (1870), in the Coates Collection.
(fn. 1) View from King Street (photograph).
Another view (photograph).
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd