XXXVIII.-XL.—NOS. 15, 16, AND 17 CHARLES SQUARE.
The freeholder and occupier of No. 15 is Mr. Isaac Sklanowitz. The
freehold of No. 16 is owned by the Trustees of the marriage settlement of
Sir S. F. Mendl, K.B.E., and Frances, Lady Mendl, and that of No. 17 by
the Trustees of the late C. Hardy.
General description and date of structure.
On 13th January, 1726–7, Sarah Webster mortgaged to William Guy
"all that messuage or tenement lately built and yet uninhabited, scituate
on the west side of Charles Square," as well as another messuage lately
built adjoining it on the north. (fn. 1) The only portion of the west side of the
square belonging to the Websters comprised the sites of Nos. 15 to 17 (fn. 2)
and it can hardly be doubted that the houses mentioned in the indenture
were Nos. 16 and 17. No. 15 had probably not yet been built. All three
are referred to in 1759 in a demise by John Webster to Jonathan Miles of
three tenements or messuages on the west side of the square, then or late
in occupation of James Praed, Jane Courant and Alexander Eynard.
Nos. 15 and 17 were designed as wings to No. 16, and consist of three
storeys and basement. The walls are lined with deal panelling with
moulded cornice and chair rail. The majority of the rooms in No. 15,
however, have been stripped and lined with matchboarding. The staircases
have well-turned balusters and shaped brackets to the lower flights
(Plates 65, 66 and 79).
No. 16 is used for the accommodation of the Shoreditch County Court,
and before the present Court House was built in the rear of Old Street, the
front room on the first floor was utilised for that purpose. The premises
have a brick front of three storeys and basement, with a moulded brick
cornice at second-floor level. The top storey has probably been rebuilt.
The central doorcase, which is in deal, is enriched with carved consoles
and a foliated frieze (Plate 79). The iron railings to the front area have
well-designed cast-iron standards similar to those at No. 15 (Plate 42).
Within, the walls are lined with square panelling, with a moulded cornice
of good proportions. The main staircase has turned spiral balusters, fluted
circular newels, and carved stair brackets. The wall dado has moulded
panels, with fluted pilasters as newels (Plate 79).
Condition of premises.
Good. Nos. 15 and 17 are utilised for factory purposes and have been altered
In the Council's collection are:—
(fn. 3) Nos. 15–17, general exterior (photograph).
(fn. 3) No. 16, entrance doorway do.
(fn. 3) No. 16, staircase, general view (photograph).
(fn. 3) No. 16, do. (measured drawing).
(fn. 3) No. 16, front railings, details (measured drawing).
(fn. 3) No. 17, ground floor, front room, interior (photograph).
(fn. 3) No. 17, staircase, details of balustrading (measured drawing)
(fn. 3) No. 17, do. do. balusters do.