Survey of London: volume 23 - Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall

Year published

1951

Author

Sir Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (editors)

Description

Published to coincide with the Festival of Britain Exhibition of 1951, this volume covers the northern, riverside portion of Lambeth, between Waterloo and Vauxhall Bridges. As well as giving the history of the Festival site itself, the book focuses on the venerable buildings and monuments then scattered among the mostly nineteenth-century houses, dwellings and factories. Chief of these is the Archbishop of Canterbury’s residence, Lambeth Palace, which is described and illustrated in detail. Other buildings covered include the Church of St John, Waterloo Road, and some of the eighteenth-century terrace-houses in Kennington Road and Lambeth Road.

Sponsor

English Heritage

Source

Survey of London (Secondary texts)

Places

Subjects

Periods

Showing records 1 - 50 of 170

1
V-VIII
2
XI-XVIII
3
XIX-XXI
4
XXIII-XXIV
5
6
1-11
7
12-17
8
18-22
9
23-24
10
25-31
11
32-36
12
37-39
13
40-44
14
45-46
15
47
16
48-49
17
50
18
51-54
19
55
20
56-57
21
58-61
22
62-65
23
66-68
24
69-74
25
75-76
26
77-78
27
79-80
28
81-103
29
104-117
30
118-121
31
122-124
32
125-127
33
128-136
34
137-140
35
141
36
142-143
37
144
38
145
39
146-147
40
148-149
41
150
42
151-155
43
156-170
44
45
1
46
2
47
3
48
4
49
5
50
6
  1 2 3 4