Survey of London: Volume 4, Chelsea, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Ground landlord, leaseholder, etc.
General description and date of structure.
The present house, as far as can be judged from the existing features, includes the main part of a substantial early Georgian building, but so many alterations and additions have been made that it would be difficult to reconstruct the original plan. Two large rooms with a passage room between them on the ground floor, retain their doors and to a certain extent their chimney-pieces, which agree with the same features found elsewhere in Chelsea of a date about 1725. The bedrooms above also have their old fireplaces. Two large semi-circular bay windows in brickwork were added to the house on its eastern side later in the 18th century. Considerable additions have been made by Archdeacon Bevan—particularly the two western wings, which have been treated in a style that harmonises with the late 18th-century character which the house had acquired. In the outhouses to the north is a certain amount of brickwork of 17th-century appearance, but beyond this there is no trace of the earlier buildings.
Condition of repair.
From the MS. of Dr. King, the rector to whom Chelsea is so much indebted for much of its history, we learn that the present site of the Rectory was given by the Marquis of Winchester in 1566 in exchange for the ancient Parsonage House "west of the Duke of Beaufort's." Mr. Randall Davies says (fn. 1) "the description of the old glebe in the Royal Charter quoted by Faulkner clearly identifies it as the land now bounded by the King's Road on the north, Milman's Row on the east, the Thames on the south and Dartrey Street on the west."
Robert Richardson had been Rector in 1554 when he succeeded John Larke, the friend and fellow sufferer of Sir Thomas More, for like him he was beheaded for denying the King's supremacy. Richardson, who had been reproved for "light behaviour in matters of religion,"was ejected by Queen Mary, but re-instated by Elizabeth.
Samuel Wilkinson was the fourth and last provost of Chelsea (Theological) College, which stood on the site of the Royal Hospital. His rather questionable habit of collecting other people's books against their will are described by Beaver. He was buried at Chelsea in 1669.
Dr. Adam Littleton, the author of the Latin Dictionary (published first in 1673) is a name well known to scholars. He was chaplain to Charles II., who promised that he should succeed Dr. Busby as headmaster of Winchester, where he had held the second position. He published a volume of sixty-one sermons which he dedicated to his parishioners. He was buried at Chelsea in 1669.
Dr. John King, "the antiquarian Rector of Chelsea," is best known to students of the history of the parish by his MS. account of the district and particularly the glebe. This MS., with its valuable maps, is now preserved in the Public Library. Dr. King found the Rectory in very bad repair and resided for some time in another house in Church Street. He tells us he let "the parsonage" until 1703.
William Bromley Cadogan, second son of Charles, third Baron Cadogan of Oakley, took his duties as rector very seriously, and by his almost fanatical attempts to regenerate the parish incurred great opposition and was in no little peril of suffering personal harm. He spent a considerable sum of money in repairing the Rectory. He died in 1797 and was buried at Reading, where he held the Vicarage of St. Giles.
Charles Kingsley was the father of the well-known author, Charles Kingsley, and his brothers George Henry Kingsley, the traveller and writer, and Henry Kingsley, the novelist and essayist. In Henry Kingsley's The Hillyars and the Burtons is a picture of the Chelsea of the period.
A. Gerald W. Blunt was the son of Henry Blunt, senior curate of Chelsea Parish (1824–1830) and later Rector of Holy Trinity, Chelsea (1832–1835). Several additions were made to the Rectory during Mr. Gerald Blunt's residence there.