An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 9. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Was held of the fee of Norwich, by the family of De Melton, of Melton Constable. Jeffrey de Melton, Peter de Melton, or De Constable, his son, and Jeffrey his son, were lords. On the death of Geffrey, it was, on a division of his estate, in the possession of the Cockfelds, and Astleys, by the marriage of two of his sisters and coheirs, as may be seen in Melton and Blakeney.
Soon after the interest of the Cockfelds was conveyed to the family of Bacon, and Sir John Bacon held it in 1340, and Sir Bartholomew Bacon presented to the church in 1378, and his widow Joan in 1397, and Sir Thomas Astley held his part or right herein, in the 5th of Richard II. Sir Bartholomew Bacon's sister and heir brought it by marriage to Sir Oliver Calthorp, and his second son, Richard Calthorp, Esq. was lord of it, and of Cockthorp, and so descended to his heirs, as may be there seen, Sir Henry Calthorp of Ampton in Suffolk dying lord of it, and patron in 1637, and James was then found to be his son and heir. Astley's part remained in the family till sold in the 31st of Elizabeth, by Isaac Astley, Esq. to James Calthorp of Cockthorp, who conveyed it to Sir Henry Calthorp, whose descendant, James Calthorp, Esq. was lord in 1697, and in that family it now remains.