A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Mrs. Capel, perhaps the wife of Richard Capel, vicar 1679-1712, (fn. 1) gave £20, and Daniel Niblett by will dated 1772 gave £100, for teaching poor children; in 1773 the interest was £4 4s. 6d. (fn. 2) The master of the charity school was mentioned in 1785 and the school-house in 1789. (fn. 3) In 1818 5 children were being taught in the day school, and there was also a Sunday school; (fn. 4) by 1833 there were 5 charity children and 15 paid for by their parents. (fn. 5) In 1847 31 children were being taught by a paid mistress, an unpaid assistant, and a paid monitor; there were then also two dame schools with 7 and 6 children respectively. (fn. 6) A new Church of England schoolroom was built in 1873. (fn. 7) Attendance was 53 in 1904, (fn. 8) 65 in 1936, (fn. 9) and in 1967, when the elder children went to schools in Stroud and Quedgeley, the Haresfield C. of E. Primary school had an attendance of c. 28. (fn. 10)