VOLUME THE SECOND.
P. 1.—The water of Acton-wells is clear, and rather of a bitter
flavour; impregnated mostly with calcareous glauber (fn. 1) .
Battle of Acton.
P. 2.—Among the collection of pamphlets in the British Museum,
is an account of a battle fought at Acton between the King's army
and the Earl of Essex's forces (fn. 2) ; but it appears by other publications
of that time, that it was fought at Turnham Green.
P. 32.—The late Mr. Mussell's house is the property of John
Gretton, Esq. who married his widow. It was built by Lord Wentworth, lord of the manor of Stepney (fn. 2) , and is now called Aldgatehouse. The removal of Aldgate took place in 1756.
Battle of Brentford.
P. 41.—Among the collection of pamphlets in the British Museum, is a true relation of the battail at Branford, the 12 of
November, between his Majesty's army and the Parliament's
forces; and how the cavaliers swore God damn them, the devil
was in their powder." London, 1642. The account of the battle
at Brentford is as follows: "Prince Rupert, taking advantage of a
thick mist, brought up his forces to Brentford, where he was most
valiantly opposed by my Lord Roberts's regiment, on the bridge,
who beat them off, and with great resolution maintained the
bridge till they had spent all their powder and shot; at which
time it pleased God that Col. Hampden and Col. Holles's
regiments came in, who very manfully set upon them and slew
many of them, with the loss of a very few on our side." There
is another pamphlet, intitled, "A true and perfect Relation of the
chief Passages in Middlesex, between the Forces of the Malignants,
and those assembled for the Defence of the Kingdom; shewing
the Approaches of Prince Rupert into those Parts, as far as Turnham Green, on this Side Branford; where, on Saturday last, the
12 of November, and on Sunday, they had a Skirmish; with the
Defeat happening to the said Prince, and his Cavaliers, by our
Forces, there being slain at least 800 of those Malignants; with
the Manner of their Retreat towards Kent, to the great rejoicing
of this honourable City, and all good People that love the High
Court of Parliament."—London, 1642.
P. 53, 54.—Chetwynd's date of Mr. Giffard's birth must be
erroneous, unless, what is not so probable, there is a mistake on his
tomb: if he was born in 1699, he would have been only 73 in
BROMLEY ST. LEONARD.
Manor of Bromleyhall.
P. 62.—The manor of Bromley-hall was sold by Sir William
Cecil, (afterwards Lord Burleigh,) in 1552, to Julius (fn. 3) Morgan. It
afterwards came to the family of Hare (fn. 4) . In 1606, Hugh and John
Hare conveyed it to Arthur (afterwards Sir Arthur) Ingram. From
him it passed to William Ferrers, Esq. who died seised of it in 1625,
and lies buried at Bromley. In 1661, it was purchased of the
Ferrers family by John Samine; who, in 1678, conveyed it to
Isaac Honeywood. From the latter, it passed, in 1686, to Adam
Woolley, and his heirs. In 1717, it was sold by William Woolley,
sen. and William Woolley, jun. to Richard Nicholls, Esq. grandfather of George Nicholls, Esq. the present proprietor (fn. 5) .
Manor of Chelsca.
P. 73.—It appears, by a record in the Tower (fn. 6) , that a partition
was made, in the year 1315, of the lands which had been the pro
perty of Thomas, son of Ralph de Septemfontibus. In this partition
the manor of Chelsea, and lands there called Kingsholt, fell to the
share of Cecilia, wife of Richard de Heyle, sister and coheir of the
P. 92.—To the persons of eminence mentioned in this page may
be added, Dr. Smollet, who resided at Chelsea in 1759 (fn. 6) .
Sir John Munden.
P. 111.—Sir John Munden was made Rear Admiral of the Blue,
in 1701. He was knighted upon having the command of a squadron
appointed to convoy King William to Holland. In Queen Anne's
reign, he incurred much popular censure, by his failure in an expedition destined to intercept a French squadron, for which he was tried
by a court-martial and honourably acquitted; yet the Queen dismissed
him from her service with disgrace, by a public notification in the
Gazette (fn. 7) ; after which he spent the remainder of his days in retirement at Chelsea.
P. 131.—Lady Katherine Persivalwas Catherine, daughter of Sir
Edward Deering, Bart. wife, first, of Sir John Perceval, Bart. (father
of Sir Edward Perceval, Bart. and John Earl of Egmont); and
afterwards of Col. Butler. There is a print of her in the genealogy
of the House of Yvery.
P. 132.—There is no doubt that Sir George Pearce or Pearse
mentioned in this page was Sir George Picrs, Bart. whose Principal seat was at Stonepitt in Kent. He appears also to have had a
residence at Chelsea. There is a print of Sarah Lady Piers his wife,
who published a poem on the accession of George I. Sarah Lady
Pearcewas buried at Chelsea Sept. 8, 1719 (fn. 8) .
P. 149.—A new manufactory, for floor-cloths, has been built in
the King's Road, by Mr. Morley; who is about to introduce, in that
manufacture, patterns from the Mosaic pavements discovered in the
Roman building at Woodchester in Gloucestershire. Mr. Morley
has a manufactory also at Knightsbridge.
P. 157, note 241.—The present Governor of Chelsea Hospital
is Sir William Fawcett, K. B.
Farther particulars relating to Hyde-park.
P. 182, 183.—It is most probable that Hyde-park was inclosed by
the abbot and convent of Westminster; in various records and
surveys, an ancient charter is mentioned, by which the franchise,
free-board, or liberty, was extended to nine feet in breadth beyond
the paling. The first keeper on record, after Hyde-park became
vested in the Crown, was George Roper; who was succeeded by
Francis Nevill (fn. 9) . Sir Charles Harbord, the Surveyor-general, in a
report, dated 1664, observes, that King Charles I. was very earnest
with him for walling Hyde-park, "as well for the honor of his
palace and great city, as for his own disport and recreation." On
the sale of the Crown lands, Hyde-park was sold in three lots; the
Kensington division to John Tracey, for 3906l. 7s. 6d; the gravelpit division to Richard Wilcox, for 4141l. 11s.; and the middle
division, to Anthony Dean, Esq. for 9020l. 8s. 2d.; making in the
whole 17,068l. 6s. 8d. For several years after the Restoration, the
park was let out, by Mr. Hamilton the ranger, in farms; and it
was not, till after the year 1670, that it was replenished again with
deer, and surrounded with a wall. During the usurpation, several
houses were built on the skirts of the park, near Hyde-park-corner
and Park-lane. These were afterwards granted on lease to James
Hamilton, Esq.; and the lease was renewed to Mrs. Elizabeth
Hamilton (fn. 10) , for 99 years, in 1692. This lease, which has been
again renewed, is now vested in Sir John Smith Burgess, Bart. and
Drummond Smith, Esq. who have lately built, for their own
residence, two very handsome houses near Hyde-park-corner.
Apsley-house, built by the late Earl Bathurst, (when Lord Chancellor,) and now the property and town residence of the present
Earl, stands on the site of the old lodge, and is held under the Crown.
Grosvenor-gate was made in 1724, in compliance with a petition of
the inhabitants of Hanover-square and the streets adjacent, on condition of their keeping the lodge in repair, and paying the keeper's
wages. The reservoir, which nearly adjoins to it, was made the same
year, by the corporation of the Chelsea waterworks, for supplying
Kensington palace and gardens, the upper parts of Westminster,
and the buildings near Oliver's Mount (fn. 11) .
P. 186.—A pamphlet (among the collection in the British
Museum), published in 1642 (fn. 12) , states, that Prince Rupert, having
traversed the county of Middlesex, leaving Harrow on his right,
came to Turnham Green, where he encamped his army; that a
battle (fn. 13) ensued, (which is stated to be on the 12th of November, the
same day in which the battle of Brentford happened,) that it continued with doubtful success till night, when Prince Rupert retreated
towards the inclosed grounds on the right side of the green; and
that the next morning 800 of the Cavaliers were found slain on
P. 224.—The lease of the royalties is now vested in Mrs. Cheap,
widow of the late Thomas Cheap, Esq.
Alterations of property at Ealing.
P. 226.—Gunnersbury is now the property of Henry Crawford,
P. 228.—Hickes-on-the-Heath, now called Elm-Grove, has been
sold by Mr. Barnard to Lord Kinnaird. Ealing-house is now the
property of the Earl of Galloway. Ealing-Grove is still the property
of Mr. Baillie's family. Place-house at Little Ealing was bought by
Cuthbert Fisher, Esq. of Mr. Holmes. Ford Hook is the property
of the Miss Crowchers. It is newly fitted up, and is at present in
the occupation of Lord Hugh Seymour. This is supposed to have
been the house where Henry Fielding lived.
P. 229.—The present church was opened on Trinity Sunday,
P. 233.—A picture, by Zoffani, representing "the Lord's Sup"per," has lately been presented to the chapel at Old Brentford by
that artist, who resides in the neighbouring hamlet of Strand-on-theGreen.
P. 238.—Eight tenements or alms-houses for the habitation of
poor persons were built at Old Brentford in the year 1794, with a
sum of money given by the late Henry Beaufoy, Esq. as a compensation for inclosing some waste.
P. 239.—Courayer resided principally at the Princess Amelia's at
Gunnersbury, and with Mr. Gulston's family at Ealing-Grove.
P. 258.—The present lessee of the manors of Bowes and Dernford is the Rev. Julius Hutchinson.
P. 259.—Wyer-hall is now in the tenure of Mr. Jones.
P. 267.—Mrs. Sarah Peach in the present lessee of the parsonage.
P. 267.— Dr. Owen, the late learned vicar of this parish, who
died on the 14th of October 1795, was a native of Merionethshire,
and received his education at Jesus College, Oxford; having proceeded to the degree of M. D. he practised for three years as a
physician; but his health not allowing him to continue that profession, he entered into holy orders, and both by his writings and
the amiableness of his manners became a distinguished ornament of
the church. His literary labours were chiefly directed, and with
much success, to Biblical criticism and the illustration of the Scriptures (fn. 14) ; with this view he published his Critica Sacra; his Examinations of the Septuagint Version of the Old Testament; his work
on the Scripture Miracles; his Observations on the Four Gospels;
and other works of a like nature. Dr. Owen (by a daughter of Bishop
Butts) left a son, now rector of St. Olave, Hart-street, and five
daughters, for whom he was unable to make any adequate provision.
A volume of their father's practical sermons, written for the use of
a mixed congregation, is about to be published for their benefit.
The present vicar of Edmonton is the Rev. Dawson Warren, M. A.
who succeeded Dr. Owen.
P. 275.—The site of Arnolds is now the property of Isaac Walker,
Esq. and is called Arno's Grove. It descended from Sir John Weld
to Sir William Acton, who married his grand-daughter. Sir William Acton's daughter married Sir William Whitmore, who sold
Arnolds to Thomas Wolstenholme, Esq. in 1699. Sir Thomas
Whitmore, grandson to Sir William, afterwards became possessed of
it, and sold it to James Colebrooke, Esq. who in 1720 began the
present mansion, which was much enlarged and improved by his son,
Sir George Colebrooke, Bart. It was afterwards in the successive
possession of Sir Abraham Hume, Bart., Sir William Mayne, Bart.
(created Lord Newhaven (fn. 15) in 1776), and James Brown, Esq. It was
purchased of the latter in 1776 by the present proprietor (fn. 16) .
P. 285.—An account of the cedar at Enfield was printed in
1788, in four pages, small folio. The loss of the leading branch is
attributed to the high wind in 1703.
P. 287.—The measure of inclosing Enfield Chace was suggested,
and the bill drawn up, by the late Francis Russell, Esq. F. R. A. S.
Secretary of the Duchy Court of Lancaster, who purchased a part of
the inclosure called Beech-hill, where he built a commodious mansion for his own residence, and planted an extensive shrubbery (fn. 17) .
Mr. Russell was appointed, in 1784, Solicitor to the Commissioners
for the affairs of India; and in 1793 published a short History of
the East India Company.
P. 322.—The baronetage of Nightingale is not extinctbut dormant.
P. 348.—Bishop Terrick contributed also to the improvement of
the palace, by building several new rooms.
P. 350.—Bishop Osbaldeston was buried at Hutton Bushel, in
Yorkshire, where there is a monument to his memory (fn. 18) .
P. 363.—Peterborough-house has been pulled down, and an elegant modern mansion erected on its site by the present proprietor,
John Meyrick, Esq.
P. 365.—Munster-house is now in the occupation of William
P. 366.—The late Mr. Woodcock's villa is now the property and
residence of Sir Andrew Snape Hamond, Bart.
P. 367–377.—To the tombs in the church add those of John
Batchellor, merchant, 1766; John Ashurst, Esq. 1792; Samuel
Lanclott Jarvis, Esq. "a distinguished officer in North America,"
aged 39, 1795; Elizabeth, widow of Philip Laurents, M. A. 1796;
and in the churchyard that of the Rev. William Waring, M. A.
Lisabetta Du Pare; cognom. Francesina.
P. 412.—A. M. Elizabeth R. Du Parc, La Francesina, mentioned
in this page as buried at Hammersmith, was in the early part of the
century a celebrated singer. There is a print of her done by Faber
in 1737, which is inscribed Lisabetta Du Parc, cognom. "Francesina."
P. 421.—The nunnery at Hammersmith has of late been occupied
by some of the refugees driven from the continent by the late
troubles. A convent from Louvaine settled there in 1794, but quitted
it early in the next year: they were succeeded by the English
Benedictine dames, who now inhabit it.
Manor house of Stickleton.
P. 439.—The fee of the manor of Stickleton Greenford is vested
in General Craig; but the widow of the late James Craig, Esq. has
a life interest in it. The manor house is now inhabited by the Rev.
Mr. Dodd, who succeeded Dr. Glasse in the conduct of a seminary
for private pupils, long since established at that place.
Well sunk by Dr. Glasse.
P. 443.—Among the most important benefactions to this place
should be mentioned a well sunk in the village in 1791 for the benefit
of the poor by Dr. Glasse, who laid pipes also to communicate
with the house he now inhabits, and with Stickleton-house abovementioned.
P. 453.—Mr. Benyon, one of the trustees in fee of the manors
of Lord's-hold and King's-hold in Hackney, is lately deceased.
Brooke house the manor house of King's hold.
P. 456, 496.—The manor house of King's-hold, or the King'splace, was undoubtedly that which is now called Brooke-house. It
was reserved by Lord Brooke, when he sold the manor, for his own
residence; and has continued ever since in his family, being now
the property of the Earl of Warwick. The remainder of a long
lease was assigned to the late Dr. Monro, and is now vested in his
sons. The house is in the immediate tenure of Robert Jacob, Esq.
The old part consists principally of an oblong quadrangle, round
which are galleries; those on the north and south sides being 174
feet in length. It appears that the house was rebuilt, or perhaps
the quadrangle only, by Lord Hunsdon, whose arms and quarterings, with those of his lady (fn. 19) , and the crests of the two families (fn. 20) ,
are frequently repeated upon the ceiling of the south gallery.
P. 457.—The manor of Wyke, which was the property of the
late Mrs. Woodcock, was advertised for sale in the month of November 1796, but is as yet unsold.
P. 473.—The new church is as yet unfinished, but it is expected
that it will be opened early in the spring of 1797.
P. 478.—" Elizabeth Newcome, youngest daughter and last
surviving child of the Rev. Peter Newcome, formerly vicar of
this parish, was buried April 5, 1787, in the 93d year of her
age (fn. 21) ."
P. 480.—The establishment of the Dissenters College is broken
up. The building is at present unoccupied. It was sold a few
months ago to Thomas Boddington, Esq. and — Curtis, Esq.
P. 484.—"Lee" in 1. 6. is meant for Lees, in Essex.
P. 526.—The munificent benefactor to the alms-houses at Hadley,
was the late benevolent Samuel Whitbread, Esq.; who, in 1791, gave
250l., in 1793 the same sum, and in 1795 (after the account of
that parish was printed) a further benefaction of 500l.: which sums,
together with 10l. bequeathed by Mrs. Mary Horton in 1795, purchased 1639l. 5s. 10d. 3 per cent. consol., purchased in the names
of the Rev. Charles Jeffryes Cottrell, Culling Smith, and other
trustees. The Rev. David Garrow, (father of William Garrow, Esq.
one of his Majesty's council,) who died in 1796, gave by will a sum
of money (laid out in the purchase of 333l. 6s. 8d. 3 per cents.),
the interest of which is to be thus appropriated: 6l. 10s. as a salary
for the master of a Sunday school, to teach 20 boys; 2l. for a proper person to instruct the said boys, and such girls as the trustees
(of whom the rector of Hadley is always to be one) shall recommend, in church music; and 1l. 10s. to be laid out in bread,
books, or apparel, and given by the trustees as a reward to
such of the boys as shall be most deserving. Mrs. Mary Horton
bequeathed also 10l. (laid out in the purchase of 14l. 10s. 11d.
O. S. S. A.) to the girls' school.
P. 528.—The water of Hampstead-wells is a transparent chalybeate; its property diuretic. An account of these wells was published by Dr. Soame in 1734 (fn. 22) .
Dr. Johnson at Hampstead.
P. 536.—The house where Booth, Wilkes, and Cibber used to
reside was at Frognall. It is now the parish work-house. In the
year 1748, Dr. Johnson had lodgings at Hampstead, where he wrote
the greater part, if not the whole, of his Imitation of the 10th
Satire of Juvenal (fn. 23) .
P. 541.—In the account of Mr. Pierce's benefaction, there is an
omission of 10l. per annum to the Tabernacle, or Methodists'
Meeting. This makes the whole 45l. per annum. The overplus
of the money, over and above what was sufficient to establish the
annual donations directed by his will, went (after defraying incidental expences) to his residuary legatee.
P. 553.—The inscription (fn. 24) on Mr. Anguish's tomb is as follows:—H. S. E. Quod mortale suit Thomæ Anguish Arm. S. S. R. et
A. socii Cancellariæ Magistri et Protonumerarii: inter præclari
nominis viros ad publicos Britanniæ sumptus indagandos comitiali
decreto constituti: qui annum agens sexagesimum, cum naturæ
et gloriæ satis vixisset, suis et rei publicæ, heu! parúm, repentino
correptus morbo ad beatiora contendit die Decembris XXXI. A. D.
MDCCLXXXV.—Abi benigne lector, haud vulgari laude prosequens hujusce præstantissimi viri pietatem ac fidem veré Christianam, amorem patriæ singularem; mirum et exquisitum ingenii
acumen, simplicem morum elegantiam; quæque amicum, conjugem, parentem exornant, pulcherrimas virtutes."—Mr. Anguish's
house at Hanwell is now the property and residence of William
Baldwin, Esq. M. P.
P. 557.—A manufacture of gloves has lately been established at
Hanwell by Mr. John Fownes, which affords complete employment
to the women and children of the poor.
HARROW ON THE HILL.
P. 560.—The villa lately belonging to Thomas Orde, Esq. is
now the property and residence of Col. Ironside.
HARROW ON THE HILL.
P. 565.—John Asgill Bucknall, Esq. proprietor of the manor of
Headstone, is lately deceased. It is now the property of his nephew,
the Hon. William Grimston.
P. 581.—Mr. Bucknall was one of the governors also of Harrow
P. 589.—It is a sixthpart only of the common fields which lies
fallow. The fields are divided into two sets, one of which is cropped
every year. In the other set the custom of fallowing every third
year is continued.
P. 595. 1. 21.—It would perhaps be more correct to say, that
the rectory of Hayes has been long considered as a sinecure; for I
am informed that a suit in Chancery is now pending, the issue of
which may determine it not to be a sinecure.
VOLUME THE THIRD.
P. 24.—The Earl of Westmoreland's daughter, who is heir to
the Osterley estate, does not take the name of Child till she comes
of age. She is at present Lady Sarah Fane.
Camp at Hounslow.
P. 44.—Dalrymple, in his Memorials (fn. 1) , mentions James the Second's measure of establishing and regulating a perpetual encampment of 1200 men on Hounslow-heath, as a means of rendering
himself independent of his parliament. "He caressed, says he, the
officers, he flattered the soldiers, and, in the plenitude of his joy, he
could not refrain from carrying the Queen and the Princess to dine
in the camp, and from descanting, in his letters to the Prince of
Orange, on the beauty of his troops, not perhaps without a
secret pleasure from the reflection that his exultation could give
no great pleasure to the Prince."
P. 65.—RichardWilbraham Bootle, Esq. one of the Governors
of Highgate school is since deceased.
Ibid. (note 68.)—The rent-charge of 40s. per annum was given
by John Dudley, Esq. some time lord of the manor of Newington.
P. 69.—Sir Francis Pemberton was buried in 1699, as appears
by the parish register; the date of 1697 in the epitaph is an error
of the sculptor.
The bloody post on Hounflow-heath.
P. 81.—On the heath between Whitton and Hownslow, in this
parish, is a post commonly known by the name of the Bloody
Post. It is thus inscribed on each of the four sides: "Buried here,
with a stake drove through his body, the wicked murderer John
Pretor, who cut the throats of his wife and child, and poisoned
himself, July 6th, 1765." Underneath is a bloody hand grasping a knife.
P. 83.—Among the Gilbertines, also, the nuns and monks lived in
separate cloisters under the same roof (fn. 2) .
P. 85.—Agnes Jordan, who was abbess of Sion at the dissolution
of that monastery, died in the month of January 1544-5, and was
buried at Denham in Buckinghamshire, where there is an inscription
to her memory, with her effigies on a brass plate.
P. 93.—In deepening the bed of the river for the Grand Junction
Canal, the piles of the old wooden bridge were found; they appeared very black, but quite found.
P. 93.—It has been suggested to me, that Sir Nathaniel Duckenfield was only the occupier of the house formerly Sir Richard
Wynne's, and that it is the property of his uncle, General Ward;
but I have not had an opportunity of ascertaining the fact. This
house was built by George Walkins in 1592, who soon afterwards granted it to Sir Francis Darcy, for the lives of himself
and his Lady, and Lady Wynne, his daughter. Glover's survey
of Isleworth, in 1653, describes two houses nearly adjoining;
one of which is called Sir Francis Darcy's, the other Sir Richard
Wynne's. They continued for a considerable time in the Wynne
family. The house in which Sir Nathaniel Duckenfield lately lived
is now in the tenure of the Earl of Glasgow.
P. 99.—Mr. Godfrey's house has lately been sold piecemeal, and
is now pulled down.
P. 101. (note 87.)—In the description of the arms of Chilcot,
read "a pile of the secondcharged with three garbs of the first."
P. 107.—The modusallotted to the vicar, in lieu of the small
tithes of the Sion demesnes, was 101. The remainder (11. 7s. 4d.) is
paid as a compensation for the tithes of a piece of ground added to
the kitcher-garden, which was not parcel of the said demesnes.
P. 108. (note 118.) Mr. Grant published a reply to "the Petition
of the Inhabitants of Isleworth," intitled, "the Vindication of
the Vicar of Isleworth in the County of Middlesex, from a scandalous Pamphlet, containing 21 Articles, invented by some
closely, subscribed unto but by six publickly, presented but by
one openly, and now vented in Print surreptitiously (in the Name
of the whole Parish) by a Nobody."—By William Grant,
Vicar of Isleworth." 1641.
P. 109.—Mr. Grant, in the pamphlet above mentioned, says,
that there were (in 1641) 1000 communicants in Isleworth.
P. 122.—The sum of one pound per annum paid to the parish
by Mr. Robinson is for the rent of a piece of land called Franklins,
supposed to have been a benefaction of one of the Wynne family.
The copper-mills mentioned by Norden were not those now employed on Hounslow-heath, but were situated where Mr. Hill's
flour-mill now is, in the lane leading from Isleworth to Smallbury-green. The mills lately occupied by the corporation of the
mines-royal were in Norden's time powder-mills. They are now
occupied as a sail-cloth manufactory.
P. 136.—Sir Henry Paulet St. John Mildmay was the son of
Sir Paulet St. John, Bart. He took the name of Mildmay in consequence of marrying Jane, daughter and coheir of Carew Mildmay,
Esq. of Shawford. The estate at Newington-green was Alderman
Halliday's, whose daughter and heir married Sir Henry Mildmay
mentioned in the page here referred to; she preserved it therefore as
being her own inheritance. The arms of Halliday were lately in
the old mansion.
P. 140.—It was James Colebrooke, Esq. father of Sir James
Colebrooke, Bart. who laid the first stone of Islington church.
P. 159.—I have been since informed that Magelhaens enjoyed a
canonry in the Austrian Netherlands, at the time of his death, or at
least not long before it.
P. 161, 162.—A gentleman who has had the means of being accurately informed upon the subject has favoured me with the following particulars, which in some instances correct the account
of the New River given in these pages, principally from the Biographia Britannica.
"The first act, empowering "the Lord Mayor, commonalty, and
citizens of the city of London to form a new river," was intitled,
An Act for the bringing in of a fresh stream of running Water to
the North Part of the City of London. 3 Jac. cap. 18. This was
followed by an act for explaining the said statute, 4 Jac. cap. 12.
Hugh Middelton, goldsmith, made an offer to the Court of Common Council, on the 28th of March 1609, that he would begin
this work within two months, they transferring to him the
powers vested in them by the said two acts: whereupon the Court
accepted his offer, and ordered that a letter of attorney should be
made out from the Mayor and Common Council, (which was
done the 1st of April following,) and that indentures should be
made and passed between them and him; which was also done the
21st of the same month.
"The Company's charter is dated June 21, 1619 (fn. 3) . The dividend for the year 1633, which is believed to have been the first,
was 15l. 3s. 3d. at which time a call on the proprietors was expected. The dividend for the year 1794 was 431l. 5s. 8d.
"King Charles I. re-granted to Sir Hugh Middelton, Bart. his
heirs and assigns, the moiety of the New River, which had been
conveyed to his father King James, on condition that they should
for ever pay to the King's Receiver-general, or into the receipt
of the Exchequer for his Majesty's use, the yearly rent of 500l.
which is still paid and almost entirely out of the King's shares (fn. 4) ."
Maitland, in his History of London, says, that by an exact mensuration of the course of the river, taken by Henry Mill, surveyor
to the Company in 1723, it appeared to be 38 miles, 3 quarters,
and 16 poles in length.
P. 168.—Monro calls the water of Islington Spa a light chalybeate,
and speaks of it as one of the best near London (fn. 5) . It was formerly
in much repute.
P. 171.—Monro, in his Treatise on Mineral Waters (fn. 6) , speaks of a
spring of a cathartic quality at Kensington,
P. 178.—Holland-house is now fitting up for the residence of
P. 195.—Dr. Waller, late vicar of Kensington, died at Great
Waltham in Essex, Nov. 10, 1795, in consequence of the bruises he
received by the fall of a stack of chimnies during the high wind in
the night of the 6th of the same month. He was succeeded in
the vicarage of Kensington by Richard Ormerod, M. A.
P. 297.—Lady Eleanor Davis was daughter of George Earl of
Castlehaven, and relict of Sir John Davis, Attorney-general for Ireland.
P. 315.—Sir John Hotham, Bart. Bishop of Clogher, is lately
Act for granting long leases of the site and demesnes of the manor of Paddington.
An Act of Parliament passed in 1795, enabling the Bishop of
London to grant a lease of the site and capital messuage of the manor
of Paddington, with the demesne lands, to the present lessees and
their heirs, for the term of 99 years, and his successors, at the end
of 50 years, to renew the said lease for a fine of 20s. only, for a
further term of 99 years, on the following conditions: that the ancient reserved rent of 43l. 6s. 8d. be paid to the Bishop and his
successors; that a stipend of 120l. be paid to the curate of Paddington, instead of 80l. before payable; that 15l. per annum be paid to
the parish in lieu of right of common on certain small parcels of
waste included in the lease; and that after all these deductions, onethird of the rents, ground-rents, and increased profits of the lands
so leased, (clear of taxes,) be appropriated to the Bishop of London
and his successors. Powers are given by the said Act to make under
leases (in which the Bishop of London for the time is to be a party)
P. 347.—Fitzroy-farm, the seat of Lord Southampton (lord of the
manor of Totenhall, or Tottenham-court), situate at Highgate,
within the parish of Pancras, has been rebuilt within a few years.
The grounds are laid out with much taste, and the surrounding
scenery is extremely picturesque. In the house are portraits of Henry,
the first Duke of Grafton; George Earl of Euston; Charles Duke
of Grafton (grandfather of the present Duke, and of Lord Southampton), and the late Countess of Abingdon, by Angelica Kauffman.
The farm, which his Lordship keeps in his own hands, consists of
about 100 acres.
P. 349.—The Earl of Mansfield being lately deceased, Caen Wood
is now the seat of the Countess Dowager.
P. 381.—The water of Bagnigge-wells is impregnated with sea
salt, and a bitter salt of a cathartic quality, blended. Near it is a
chalybeate spring. The water of Pancras-wells is a mild cathartic. It is clear and almost tasteless, impregnated with a calcareous
glauber, and a small portion of sea salt (fn. 7) .
P. 389.—Monro says, that the water of Shadwell Spa is more
strongly impregnated with vitriol than any hitherto discovered in
England. It is more commonly used, he says, externally than internally. When taken internally it operates both as a cathartic and
emetic (fn. 8) .
P. 392.—In a collection of drawings, formerly belonging to Smart
Lethieullier, Esq. and now in the library of the Earl of Orford at
Strawberry Hill, are figures of two antique bronzes, the one representing a small lion, the other the head of an Apollo, found several
years ago on the estate of Mr. West near Brockley-hill.
P. 394.—Lady A. C. Brydges was married in May 1796, to Earl
Temple, eldest son of the Marquis of Buckingham. The same ob
servation is necessary also for p. 406, in Stanmore Parva, and
p. 629, note 69, in Wilsdon.
P. 397. note 36.—The coat impaled by Collins is that of Clerke.
P. 418.—Hackney is not now to be reckoned among the boundaries of Stepney; since the separation of Stratford-Bow and Bethnal Green, those parishes intervene. The general description of the
parish of Stepney is more applicable also to its former state, although
the parishes of St. George in the East, and Shadwell, have a very
small portion of land, except what is occupied by buildings.
Sir John Berry.
P. 429.—Sir John Berry was knighted at the battle of Solebay in
1672. In 1680, he was made Rear-Admiral of the fleet; in 1684,
Commissioner of the Navy. After the landing of King William,
he had the chief command of the fleet. His death is said to have
been attended by some mysterious circumstances, and it was suspected from the appearance of his body when opened, that he had
been poisoned: but nothing ever transpired to justify the suspicion,
nor was it easy to account for so horrid an action, or who could
have been the authors of it (fn. 9) .
Thomas Saffin's epitaph.
P. 434.—The two following epitaphs are printed in N° 518 of
the Spectator, having been communicated by a correspondent, who
introduces them thus: "They are written in a different manner;
the first being in the diffused and luxuriant, the second, in the
close and contracted stile; the first has much of the simple and
pathetic, the second is something light and nervous."
Here Thomas Saffin (fn. 10) lies interr'd, ah why ?
Born in New England, did in London die;
Was the third son of eight, begat upon
His mother Martha, by his father John;
Much favour'd by his Prince he 'gan to be,
But nipt by death at the age of twenty-three.
Fatal to him was that we small-pox name,
By which his mother and two brethren came
Also to breathe their last, nine years before;
And now have left their father to deplore
The loss of all his children, with that wife
Who was the joy and comfort of his life."
"Deceased June the 18, 1687."
"Here lies the body of Daniel Saul,
Spittlefields weaver, and that's all."
The latter is not now to be seen; but Saffin's tomb still remains,
and the epitaph is legible. Dr. Johnson's observation, upon reading the second line of this epitaph, was, "I do not wonder at this;
it wouldhave been strange if, born in London, he had died in New
England (fn. 11) ."
P. 444.—The Rev. Samuel Brewer, who had been fifty years
pastor of the independent meeting-house at Stepney, died June 11,
1796. I have been informed on good authority, since the last
volume was printed, that his only publication was a sermon preached
at the funeral of the Rev. Mr. Hitchin. Mr. Brewer was succeeded
at Stepney by the Rev. George Ford.
Plague at Stepney.
P. 449.—The writer of Lord Clarendon's Life (fn. 12) , says, that "the
plague had swept away so many seamen, (Stepney, and the places
adjacent, which were their common habitation (fn. 13) , being almost
depopulated,) that there seemed an impossibility to procure sailors
enough to set out the fleet."
Sir Thomas Bludder.
P. 451.—It appears that the conjecture in note137 is erroneous;
Sir Thomas Bluddermentioned in this page, was knighted at
Chatham in 1604 (fn. 14) : he presided for some time over the victualling department in the Navy (fn. 15) ; and dying in 1618, was buried at
Ryegate in Surrey. He married Mary, daughter of Christopher
Herris, Esq. of Shenvils in Essex. His daughter Mary's marriage
with Sir Roger Nevinson is mentioned in his epitaph (fn. 16) .
P. 452.—The site of Lord Morley's mansion in Mile-end roadis
the propertyof Mr. Thirlwall. The house which he himself occupies formed a part of it.
P. 456.—Sir Atwell Lake, Bart. married Mary, only daughter of
Captain James Winter of Mile-end, by whom he was father of Sir
James Winter Lake, the present Baronet.
P. 464.—To the tombs in this page add Angus McNeal, Esq.
Captain of the Henry Dundas East-Indiaman, 1796; and Matthew
Bell, aged 96 (no date).
P. 467.—The breach mentioned in this page, was within the
Bishop's manor of Stebbenheth; but not within Stebbenheth marsh.
It was between St. Katherine's and Shadwell (fn. 17) .
P. 492. Chaucer, in his prologue to the Canterbury Tales, mentions Stratford Bow as a place where the French language was
taught (fn. 18) .
"—French she spake full fayre and fetisly,
After the scole of Stratford atte Bowe,
For French of Paris was to hire unknowe."
P. 528.—Bruce-castle has been sold by Mr. Smith to —Ayton, Esq. who conveyed it to Richard Lee, Esq. the present proprietor and occupier.
P. 528. 537.—Stephen Jermyn, Esq. died in the month of February
1796; when Pembrokes-house, being a freehold, devolved on George
Tyson, Esq. and the rectory of Tottenham, being a leasehold estate,
was inherited by Mrs. Mary Udney, and Harriot, wife of JamesEyre, Esq.
P. 559.—A corning-house, for graining gunpowder, belonging to
Mr. Hill, has had the singular ill-fortune to be thrice blown up in
the year 1796; in the months of January, July, and November.
By the three explosions fourteen lives were lost.
P. 564.—York-house is now the property and residence of his
Excellency Count Starhemberg, Envoy Extraordinary and Minister
Plenipotentiary from the Court of Vienna.
P. 575.—Lord Mendip's firstwife was daughter of Sir William
Stanhope; Lady Mendip is sister of the late Hans Stanley, Esq. and
grand-daughter of Sir Hans Sloane.
—The Countess-dowager Poulett's house is now in the tenure
of Mrs. Osbaldeston of Hutton Bushel in Yorkshire.
P. 577.—Marble-hill, now the property of Miss Hotham, is in
the occupation of Sir James Pulteney and his Lady, Henrietta Laura,
P. 578.—The villa of the late celebrated architect Sir William
Chambers at Whitton, is now the property and residence of Mrs.
John Lord Berkeley.
P. 593.—John Lord Berkeley was successful in an expedition
against St. Maloes and Granville, in 1695, and in some other
offensive operations against the enemy. There is scarcely an instance
in the annals of naval history, of any other officer who attained such
high rank so early in life. He was only 34 years of age when he
died, yet he had been eight years an admiral (fn. 19) .
P. 594, note139.—Kenneth Lord Duffus, on the 27th of June
1711, (having the command of a frigate mounting 46 guns,) maintained a most desperate engagement for some hours with eight French
privateers. At length, having received five balls in his body, his
ship was taken by the enemy. After his attainder (for being concerned in the rebellion of 1715), he became a flag-officer in the
Russian fleet (fn. 20) .
P. 610.—There is now no incumbent at this place; and divine
service has been for some time discontinued.
Prebendal manor of Neasdon.
P. 613.—By a MS. (fn. 21) in the library of Thomas Astle, Esq. F.R.A.S.
at Battersea Rise, it appears that the quitrents due to the manor of
Neasdon, as stated in a rental of that manor, dated 1510, amounted
to 2l. 18s. 4½d. per annum. In the year 1624, Thomas Wilson,
prebendary of Neasdon, leased the prebendal manor (fn. 22) , to which a
court-baron, with a view of frank-pledge is stated to have belonged,
to Francis Roberts, Esq. his executors and assigns, for the term of
21 years, and at the yearly rent of 2l. 13s. 9d. There is a clause
in this lease, by which the tenant covenants to repair all bridges
within the prebend, which had usually been "upholden, repaired,
maintained, or amended, by the prebendaries of Neasdon."
Neasdon house, or Catwoods.
The capital messuage at Neasdon, formerly belonging to the
Roberts's, was called Catwoods, from John Attewode, it is supposed,
who was the proprietor of its site in the reign of Richard the First.
His descendant of the same name, described as John Attewode of
Neasdon, in the year 1403, sold all his lands in the parish of Wilsdon to John Roberds, or Roberts, whose great-grandson Thomas
Roberts built Neasdon-house on the site of Catwoods, in the reign
of Henry VIII. It was enlarged by Francis Roberts, Esq. in the
reign of Queen Elizabeth; and again by Sir William Roberts, about
the year 1650. This Sir William afterwards inclosed about two
acres of the waste belonging to the prebend of Neasdon, for which
his son, Sir William Roberts, Bart. paid an annual rent, after the
Restoration, to the prebendary.
Manor of Middletons.
In the year 1295, John de Middleton, citizen and draper of
London, purchased of William de Bredestrete, and others, a messuage,
a mill, 203 acres of land, three acres of meadow, two acres of
wood, and 6s. rents, in Wilsdon and Hendon; which estate,
increased by subsequent purchases, was called afterwards the manor
of Middletons; and is supposed to have passed to Robert Curson
and William Benyngton, as coheirs, by marriage, of William de
Middleton, heir of John above mentioned. Robert Curson, having
purchased the other moiety for an annuity of eight marks, became
possessed of the whole. Robert Curson the younger, clerk, built a
mansion upon this estate, and called it Bedewell-hall. He was succeeded in the possession of the manor of Middletons by John
Gloucester, clerk of the King's Exchequer, whose daughter and heir,
Joan, married, first, John Staunton, Gent.; and afterwards Thomas Barlee, Gent. From the latter this manor descended to Richard
Barlee, Esq. who, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, sold it to
Edmund Roberts, Esq. It continued in the family of Roberts till
the beginning of this century. I have not been able to learn who is
the present proprietor.
There is a quitrent of 1l. 16s. 8d. due from this estate to the
prebend of Neasdon, which was recovered of Thomas Barlee, in
the reign of Henry VII., by John Carver, then prebendary.
P. 617.—The present prebendary of East Twyford is the Rev.
Henry Meene. He succeeded the Rev. Henry Waring, who died