VOLUME THE FOURTH.
P. 10.—The mansion mentioned in this page was purchased by
Mr. Trevor, in 1732, of John Moore, Gent. Richard Trevor,
Lord Bishop of St. David's (devisee of the real estates of Thomas
Trevor, Esq. deceased), Arabella and Harriot Montagu, spinsters,
(nieces and residuary devisees of the said Mr. Trevor), and others,
conveyed it, in 1744, to John Thomlinson, Esq. It does not appear
by the title-deeds (fn. 1) that Lord Binning was ever the proprietor. He
resided there several years.
Fairlop fair; and anecdotes of Mr. Day.
P. 56.—Since the account of this parish was written, I have seen
a small pamphlet called "the Origin of Fairlop Fair, annually held
round the great Oak on Hainault Forest in Essex, on the first
Friday in July; with an Account of the Founder Mr. Daniel
Day."—The author informs us that Mr. Day, (who was a block
and pump-maker in the parish of St. John, Wapping,) had a small
estate near Fairlop-oak, whither he used to repair annually on the
first Friday in July; when it was his custom to invite a select
party of his neighbours to accompany him and dine under the
shade of the oak on beans and bacon. In the course of a few years,
other parties were formed on Mr. Day's anniversary, and sutlingbooths erected for their accommodation; these increasing progressively, booths were erected also by persons who brought various
articles for sale; and, about the year 1725, the place began to
exhibit the appearance of a regular fair. Mr. Day continued to
resort annually to his favourite spot, as long as he lived; and, in
memory of its origin, never failed to provide on the day of the
fair several sacks of beans, with a proportionate quantity of bacon,
which he distributed, from the trunk of the tree, to the persons there
assembled. For several years before Mr. Day's death, the pump
and blockmakers of Wapping, to the number of about thirty or
forty, went annually to the fair, in a boat made of one piece of
entire fir, covered with an awning, mounted on a coach-carriage,
and drawn by six horses, attended with flags and streamers, a band
of music, and a great number of persons, both on foot and on horseback. This custom is still continued. A few years before Mr. Day
died, his favourite oak lost a large limb, out of which he procured a
coffin to be made for his own interment. His death happened on
the 19th of October 1767, at the age of 84. His remains were
conveyed to Barking by water, pursuant to his own request (fn. 2) ,
accompanied by six journeymen pump and block-makers, to each of
whom he bequeathed a new leathern apron and a guinea. There is a
tombstone in the churchyard at Barking to his memory, and another
to that of his sister, Mrs. Sarah Killick, who died in 1782, in the
93d year of her age.
Site of Barking Abbey.
P. 70.—The site of Barking Abbey was sold, in 1631, by Matthew Stilte, citizen of London, to William Fanshaw, Esq. and continued for several generations in that family. An estate called
Cricklewood, situated near the eight mile-stone on the Rumford road,
has passed with it (fn. 3) .
Manor of Wyfield.
P. 79.—The manor or farm of Wythefield, otherwiseWythfield,
otherwiseWyfield, containing 202 acres, (which had been purchased
by Dr. Bamber of John Brewster,) was sold pursuant to an Act of
Parliament, in 1767, to Charles, afterwards Sir Charles Raymond.
Since the account of this estate, in p. 79, was printed, I have been
informed that it was not sold with Cranbrook to Mr. Moffat, but continued to be the property of Sir Charles Raymond till his death, and
was purchased of his representatives, by Donald Cameron, Esq. who
is the present proprietor. A mansion called, in old writings, Rayfieldhouse, the site, I suppose, of the estate mentioned in p. 85 of this
volume, as Ray-house
(fn. 3) , diddescend with Cranbrook, and was included in Mr. Raikes's late purchase. It is now called Wyfieldhouse, which led to the mistake.
P. 81.—The manor-farm of Newberry is now, under the will of
the late Richard Benyon, Esq. who died Aug. 22, 1796, the property of his second son Edward.
Manor of Cranbrook.
P. 84, 85.—Lady Montagu, widow of Sir Charles, was in possession of the manor of Cranbrook in 1630 (fn. 4) . Lady Boreman enjoyed this manor till her death, in 1700, when her residuary legatees,
Henry Gibbs and Henry Davies, took possession, on account of a large
debt due for the arrears of her jointure. In 1721, Mary Townson,
the heir at law, under a decree of Chancery, foreclosed her right and
equity of redemption. In 1730, a partition of the estate was made
between Davies and Gibbs. In 1757, Samuel Wade, the devisee of
Davies, sold his share to Charles Raymond, Esq. (afterwards a
baronet). The purchase was confirmed by Mr. Lethieullier, who
had bought the perpetuity of Mrs. Townson, but never was in possession. Thomas Spencer, assignee of Gibbs, aliened the other
share to Mr. Raymond in 1760. This alienation was never con
firmed by the Lethieullier family till 1796, when Robert Raikes,
Esq. purchased the manor of Cranbrook of Andrew Moffat Mills,
Esq. and Gibbs's share was confirmed to him by Mary wife of Edward Hulse, Esq. (niece and heir of Smart Lethieullier, Esq.) (fn. 4)
P. 88.—Little Geries and Fulham-hatch, the same, it is probable,
which was formerly called Fulwell-hatch (see p. 88.), seem to have
descended with Wyfield, and were sold under the same Act. The
purchaser was Philip Jacob Lord Rhynwick. In 1781, they were
inherited by his grandson, Critoffel Van Denburgh of Great Geries,
who, in p. 88, is erroneously called Vandeburgh.
P. 92, note 167.—The arms of Gascoyne are, A. on a pale S. a
demi-lucy erect, couped, O. The coat of Bamber is on an
escutcheon of pretence.
Epitaph of Sir John Smyth.
P. 110.—The following epitaph, formerly in the chapel at Ilford,
is printed in the second volume of Mr. Gough's Sepulchral Monuments (fn. 5) .
"Here lyeth the body of Sir John Smyth, fu[?] tyme maister of this place, a good householder, a syne man, large in almys, he did worshyp to all his kynne, all the feloship was
the meryer that SrJohn Smyth was ynne. I pry to God have mercy on his soule, and
all christen. He passed to God the 11th day of Noveber in the yere of grace A.
MCCCCLXXV.—For charite say a pat nostrand av."
— The first mentioned coat in note218 is that of Mr. Allen,
who was owner of the Hospital after Lord Dromore. Mrs. Waldron, widow of Christopher, rebuilt the alms-houses, and repaired the
chapel, in 1719 (fn. 6) .
P. 114.—Henry Jackson, Esq. was lord of the manor of Barringtons in 1634 (fn. 7) .
Sir Joseph Jordan.
P. 125.—Sir Joseph Jordan was a naval officer of great gallantry.
He was knighted in 1665, after the engagement with the Dutch
fleet, in which the command of Sir John Lawson's ship was entrusted to him after that officer was wounded. Sir Joseph Jordan
was about the same time made Rear-Admiral of the White (fn. 8) .
P. 139.—Sir Thomas Draper (then Thomas Draper,) Esq. had the
manor of Eastham-hall as early as 1670. It was sold, in 1764, by his
grandson, Thomas Draper Baber, Esq. to the present proprietor (fn. 9) .
P. 141.—The form of Eastham church (the ground plan of which
resembles that of Dunwich in Suffolk, engraved in the 12th volume
of the Archæologia, pl. xxxvii.) denotes it to be of great antiquity,
since it consists, like the churches of the Primitive Christians,
(most of which were formed out of Pagan temples or basilicæ,) of
a sanctuary, the walls of which are semi-circular, a temple and
ante-temple, which we now call the nave.
P. 164.—The lease of Walwood is now vested in the assignees of
Mr. Adams, who inherited it from Mrs. Owsley.
P. 185, 186. 188, 189, 190. 193, 194, 195. 198.—The name of
Cokewherever it occurs in these pages should be Cooke.
P. 186.—The estate and house of Gidea-hall was devised by the
late Richard Benyon, Esq. in trust, to be sold.
P. 187.—Queen Elizabeth, in 1602, granted to Sir George Hervey of Marks, the right of cutting twelve loads of forest wood;
twelve loads of rushes, a buck, and a doe, yearly, and freewarren in
his manor of Marks, in lieu of an extensive sheepwalk in the
forest (fn. 10) . King James, in 1614, granted to Sir Gawen Hervey, and
his successors, lords of the manor of Marks, " a good fat buck, and
"a good fat doe," yearly, for ever, out of Hainault forest (fn. 11) . A
Court leet and Court baron were claimed for this manor in the year
1634 (fn. 12) .
P. 190.—In 1652, the manor of Reden-court was the property of
William Commins, Gent. who, it is probable, purchased it of the heirs
of Sir Edward Cooke. It was afterwards the property of Sir Thomas
Webster, Bart. by whom it was sold to John Hopkins, Esq. (fn. 13) .
Sir William Batten.
P. 223.—Sir William Batten had been a naval officer under the
Parliament, and was made by them Vice-Admiral of the fleet, but
at length quitted their service in disgust, and carried over the Constant Warwick, one of their finest ships, to Prince Charles in
France (fn. 14) . Sir William Batten's widow appears to have been married
at Battersea, in 1671, to a foreigner called, in the register, Lord Leyonberg (fn. 15) . Lady Leigbenbergwas buried at Walthamstow in 1681 (fn. 16) .
Dr. Bradley at Wansted.
Dr. Bradley, the celebrated astronomer, resided at Wansted in
1727, in which year a zenith sector, constructed by Graham, was
put up for him there. It was from his first year's observations with
this instrument, that he made his well known discovery of the apparent motion of the fixed stars, called the aberration of light (fn. 16) .
Manor of Westham.
P. 251.—The lease of the manor of Westham was assigned, in
1754, by Azariah Pinney to Francis Smart, Esq. by the latter, in
1764, to Mr. Brown, and by Mr. Brown, the same year, to Sir John
Henniker, Bart. (fn. 17) Lands in this manor descend according to the
custom of gavelkind.
Manor of Chobhams.
P. 254.—Sir Robert Wiseman was possessed of the manor of Chobhams in 1630 (fn. 18) . The daughter and heir of John Hiett, Esq. (grandson
of John Hiett, who died in 1719), married John Crewe, Esq. of Bolesworth Castle in Cheshire, by whom this manor was sold to Mr. Allen,
a calico printer, who occupied the premises. Mr. and Mrs. Crewe
joined with Allen in a conveyance to Sir John Henniker in 1782 (fn. 19) .
P. 264.—It appears by the proceedings of the Committees (fn. 20) during the government of the Commonwealth, that Sir Harbottle
Grimston was ordered to give in an account of the tithes of Westham, conveyed by Thomas Fanshaw, Esq. of Jenkins.
P. 265.—John Smith, vicar of Westham, published, in 1704,
The Judgment of God upon Atheism and Infidelity in a brief
and true account of the irreligious life and miserable death of
Mr. George Edwards of Stratford, who murdered himself Jan. 4,
P. 283.—Mr. Warner's work, intitled, Plantæ Woodfordienses, was
not published, the copies being only given to friends.—L. 5. instead of mentioned in the Spectator, read somewhere mentioned by
Addison or Steele
(fn. 21) .
P. 320.—Mrs. Hawksworth, relict of Dr. Hawksworth, died at
Bromley, Sept. 23, 1796.
DEPTFORD ST. NICHOLAS.
P. 367.—By the following expression in the epitaph of John
Hughes, "Sacerdotii dignitatem scriptis strenuè asseruit," I suppose
him to be the Mr. Hughes who in 1711 wrote a preliminary differtation to St. Chrysostom, De Sacerdotio, wherein the authority of the
church is explained as distinguished from that of the state. It is annexed
to Hickes " on the Dignity of the Christian Priesthood," edit. 1711.
P. 313.—Richard Brooke, Esq. who died in 1772, left the interest
of 100l. Bank annuities, to six poor housekeepers of this parish.
DEPTFORD ST. PAUL'S.
Manor of Deptford Strond.
P. 388.—It has been already mentioned (fn. 22) , that Mr. Way's estate
consists only of lands formerly parcel of the manor of Deptford Strond.
The site of the manor, (which lies in this parish between the upper
and lower road to Greenwich,) with the whole of the estate, (except the Camberwell part, now Mr. Way's,) continued in the Trapps
family till it was sold, with Bermondsey, to Mr. Hambly (fn. 23) . It is
now the property of the Rev. Peter Hambly. This I suppose to be
the same estate of which Roger Mortimer Earl of March died seised
in 1399 (fn. 24) , being described as a manor in West Greenwich, called
le Stronde. The manor of West Greenwich was then in the family
of Say. From the Earl of March the Strondedescended to King Edward IV. (fn. 25) , and thus became vested in the crown.
Henry, son of Luce de Estetone, and Maurice his brother, (by
a deed without date,) granted certain lands, rents, &c. in West
Greenwich, to Thedred son of Richard (fn. 26) . In 1342 John, Alexander, and Hugh de Grenwiz, sons of Alexander Thedred, quitted
all claim in these lands to Ralph Nunthey (or Nonthey) of Halsted,
and Sarah his wife (fn. 27) . William de Blackstan in 1317 conveyed to
Robert Ilger certain lands, rents, and services in Deptford, Rotherhithe, and Peckham (fn. 28) . This estate passed in 1328 to Thomas de
Houton; afterwards to Richard Lacer, and from him in 1342 to
Ralph Nonthey (fn. 29) , who in 1349 conveyed a mansion called Skinner's Place, 40 acres of land, with certain rents and services in West
Greenwich, to William Bishop of Winchester, and others (fn. 30) , who
the same year conveyed them to the Hospital of St. Thomas the
Martyr. This estate (of which some mention is made in p. 388.)
is supposed to be included in Sir Frederic Evelyn's.
Leases of the manor..
P. 396.—The manor of Eltham was leased in 1628 to Henry,
Earl of St. Alban's, and others, in trust for Queen Henrietta Maria.
In 1665 an assignment was made by the Queen Dowager's trustees
to Robert Shaw, and others, in trust (it is probable) for Sir John
Shaw. King Charles II. in 1673 granted a lease of this manor to
trustees for the use of his consort, Queen Caroline. This lease also
was assigned to Sir John Shaw (in 1679) (fn. 31) .
Dr. James Sherard.
Dr. William Sherard.
P. 403.—Dr. James Sherard was, for many years, an apothecary
in Mark-lane, where he occasionally made a public exhibition of
scarce plants. In the latter part of his life he retired to Eltham,
where he died in 1738, being worth, as it is said, 150,000l. He
was buried at Evington in Leicestershire, where there is a monument to his memory. His elder brother, William Sherard, LL.D.
was fellow of All Souls College, and from 1704 till 1715 consul at
Smyrna. During his travels in Asia he collected a great number of
ancient inscriptions, published by Edmund Chishull, vicar of Walthamstow, who was chaplain to the same factory. Dr. Sherard in
his lifetime gave 500l. to the Physic garden at Oxford; and by
his will bequeathed the sum of 3000l. for the support of a botanical
professorship, appointing Dillenius the first professor. He gave also
to the library at the Physic garden all his books of natural history;
his drawings and dried plants (fn. 32) . Dr. William Sherard was buried
at Eltham, August 19, 1728.
P. 419.—It was on May-day, 1515, that King Henry VIII. and
Queen Katherine visited Shooter's-hill: an account of the entertain
ment given to their Majesties by Robinhood and his men, with a description of the pageants, may be found in Holinshed's Chronicle (fn. 33) .
P. 420.—John Naylor, Esq. proprietor of Fairy-hill, died there
the 26th of November 1796.
Three Queens at Greenwich.
P. 431.—A solemn Christmas was kept at Greenwich in 1518,
at which were present three Queens; Katherine of Arragon; Margaret Queen of Scots, the King's aunt; and his sister Mary, Queen
of France (fn. 34) .
Lady Lysle's suneral.
——In the year 1512 "the Lady Muryol Vicountesse Lysle,
wiff to Syr Thomas Knevet, and seconde daughter to therle of
Surrey, Thomas Lord Trezorer, and Maryshall of England,"—the previous funeral ceremonies of dirige, requiem, &c. having been
performed in Lambeth church, (in which parish she died,) was
buried in the friars church at Greenwich, her corpse having been
conveyed thither in the following manner: "All the nobles and
other mourners who attended the funeral, having partaken of a
right sumptueux dyner at the Lord Trezorer, her fadyrs place
at Lambeth, retourned to the churche, wher the corps laye, wiche
was alwayes accompaned with gentilwomen and certein yemen.
Thabbot of Westmester revested hym in the revestry, and in
pontificalibuspreceded the corps to the barge, wiche was covered
with black and with a whit crosse; in the wiche barge was the
morners, the abbot, mynestres, and officiers of arms, and twelve
staff torches about the corps.
"Item, in another barge wer the lords, knyghts (fn. 35) , and gentilmen,
and certein gentilwomen, havyng lyvere and servints.
"Item, in the thirde barge, covered alsoo with black, were 60 poore
men, havyng black gownes wthhoddes, beryng 60 torches,
wiche brent contynually from Lambith tyll she was buryed; and
in the same barge were certein gentilmen, servintz, and in this
ordre landed at the Fryres steyres at Greenwich, were taryed her
comyng, the father and the other fryres of that place, and so
went thorough the churchyerd that the qwene and the ladyes
myght see them, and soo conveyed into the churche, and the
mynystres saying immediatly the service of burying, for dirige
was doon before.
"And when they came to the blessyng of the grave, the ladyes
went to Master Ryseley hows, wher they had waffirs, Ipocras,
and other wynes and spyces.
"The abbot of Westmester dyd the servyce, the fadyr of the
place beyng to hym assistant, the lordes and certein gentilmen
taryed the burying, and after went to the said hows of Master
Ryseley, wher they had lyke dyet, and this manner was buryed
the said noble Lady (fn. 36) ."
A. W. Boehm.
P. 469.—After Anthony William Boehm delethe words a refugee.
Mr. Boehm, who was a native of Oestorff near Pyrmont, came to
England in 1701, and, settling in London, established a German
school in Bedfordbury: in 1705, he was made chaplain to Prince
George of Denmark (whose funeral sermon he published), and reader
of the German chapel at St. James's. He was author of a volume
of discourses and tracts; plain Directions for reading the Bible;
numerous religious treatises in English and German: he published
also several translations from the German, and was editor of other
works. He died at the house of his friend Dr. Slare at Greenwich,
and was interred in the burial ground
(fn. 37) at that place. Some memoirs of him were published, in 1735, by J. C. Jacobi, from the German of Rambach.
P. 470.—Frederic Slare, M. D. (fn. 38) , was author of Observations on
Bezoar Stones and Sugar, 1715. This work was attacked in a
pamphlet intitled, "A nice Cut for the Demolisher, or Dr. Slare's
Experiments on the Bezoar, &c. ripp'd up." Dr. Slare wrote also
on the Pyrmont waters, 1717.
P. 473.—The Roman Catholics have a chapel in Greenwich;
there is a meeting-house belonging to the Anabaptists, and two belonging to the Methodists.
P. 485–488.—The revenues of Queen Elizabeth's College,
in 1744, and those of Sir William Boreman's school, in 1709 and
1774, are given, from papers in the vestry clerk's office at Greenwich; what the present revenues are, is not known to the parish (fn. 39) ;
nor would the Drapers' Company inform me.
P. 505, note18.—Upon a reference to the graduate book of the
University of Cambridge, it does not appear that Mr. Pate ever had
the degree of LL.B. as mentioned in this note on the authority of
the life of Bowyer.
Manor of Billingham.
P. 518.—The manor of Billingham was sold, in 1584, by
Emery, son and heir of John Rochester, by his wife Philippa,
to John Leigh; who, in 1598, aliened it to James Altham, Esq.
A daughter of Sir James Altham, having married — Stidolfe,
brought it into that family. Sir Richard Stidolfe, by his will,
bearing date 1676, bequeathed his estates between his two daughters, Margaret, the wife of James Tryon, Esq. and Frances, married
to Jacob Lord Astley. Frances Lady Astley left her estates to her
nephew Charles Tryon, Esq. in whom the whole being vested, he
sold it, in 1724, to Thomas Inwen, Esq. father of Lady Falkland (fn. 40) .
P. 519.—Near the church is a large mansion built by Sir John Lethieullier in 1680, now the property of Mr. Richard Wright, and
occupied as a school. The coat impaled by Petrie in note 39, is that
P. 532.—The present master of Blackheath school is the Rev. Mr.
P. 540, 541.—By an application to the Company of Clothworkers, at a committee, held since the account of this parish was
printed, I was in hopes of ascertaining when the Company be
came possessed of the manor of Bostall, and whether they
were possessed also of the estate formerly belonging to the Hospital
of Acon, which, for a considerable time, passed with Bostall, but on
neither of these subjects would they indulge me with any information. Bostall is vested in them as trustees, I presume, for some
charity, but for what charity I could not learn.
P. 541.—Plumstead-park-farm was purchased by Richard Bowzer,
Esq. of William Coltman, Esq. who bought it of Mr. Curtis (fn. 41) . It is
not improbable that thisis the estate which belonged to the Hospital
of St. Thomas of Acon, but it appears, from Mr. Bowzer's communications, that his title-deeds are not of sufficient antiquity to ascertain it.
P. 560.—Philipott is right in his account of the manor of Woolwich having been purchased of the Boughtons by the Heywoods, or
Haywoodes. It does not appear that it ever was in the family of
Heydon. Sir Edward Boughton sold the manor of Woolwich, in
1555, to Richard Haywoode. It was aliened by Christopher Haywoode, in 1580, to Richard Patrick. Elizabeth, daughter and heir
of Thomas Gilbourne, married St. Leger Scrope, Esq. who sold this
manor, in 1692, to Richard Bowater the elder, and Richard Bowater the younger (fn. 42) . It is now the property of JohnBowater, Esq.;
and the manor-house is in the occupationof his brother, Captain
P. 566, note 47.—Lord Bellenden died Oct. 20, 1796.
Sir Martin Bowes's alms-houses.
P. 566.—The alms-houses at Woolwich were built by Sir Martin
Bowes, in his lifetime, in what year is uncertain. By a will, bearing date Sep. 20, 1562 (fn. 43) , he gave to the wardens and commonalty
of the mystery of Goldsmiths in London, certain lands and tenements; charged, among various other charities, with the payment
of 7l. 12s. 1d. to the five poor folk in his alms-houses (fn. 44) ; 6s. 8d.
to the minister for a sermon at a visitation of the alms-houses by
the Company, which he directs shall take place annually between
Midsummer and Michaelmas; and to the priest-clerk, and to other
poor people of the parish, 7s. 11d. By his indenture, bearing date
Sep. 20, 1565, he vested the said alms-houses in certain feoffees
(being of the Goldsmiths' Company), and their heirs, appointing
them to be for the free habitation of five poor inhabitants and
parishioners of Woolwich, of the age of 50 years and upwards (fn. 45) .