XLVIII.—THE OLD MEETING HOUSE, BROADWAY
Ground landlord, etc.
The Trustees of Broadway Chapel.
General description and date of structure.
In an entry in the Court Rolls for 1788 relating to the surrender of
some adjoining land mention is made of "the Chapel in White Horse Yard
belonging to the Dissenting Congregation." (fn. 1) The White Horse (latterly the
George) has disappeared, but the old chapel is still in existence behind the
Congregational Church in Broadway. It is a rectangular structure of warmcoloured brickwork with three semicircular-headed windows to the side and two
at the end. The roof, of very old tiling, is hipped and has no cornice at the
eaves. Severe and unadorned as it is, the little building, by its appearance of
age, its rather ruinous condition and rich colouring, is decidedly picturesque.
The present building was erected in 1724 and enlarged in 1815.
Historical and biographical notes.
Faulkner (fn. 2) gives the following notes on the chapel: "The Independent or Congregational Chapel, commonly called George Yard Chapel, which is allowed to be the oldest
dissenting place of worship in Hammersmith, [and] is situate at the foot of George Yard near
the Brookgreen-lane, corner of Broadway. The present main approach is by an arched gateway of brickwork, of considerable height, and at the end of the yard are remains of a square
or court, of which the side of the chapel formed the east front. . . . This meeting house originated with the Presbyterians, and enjoyed a succession of clergymen from that body till about
the end of the last century. Before the erection of the present place, its founders used to
meet in the rooms of an old edifice in Union Court, which is said to have been used for the
celebration of divine worship by the Presbyterians, from the time of Charles the Second."
He proceeds to give the names of some of the ministers as follows:
1706. Samuel Evans.
1724. Mr. Bearne. It was under his ministry that the present chapel was built, as
appears from "An Account Book for the New Meeting-house in White Horse Square."
1731. David Millar, A.M. He was the writer of a number of theological pamphlets,
and was buried in Bunhill Fields, where his tombstone describes him as "Late minister of the
gospel at Hammersmith." He died 1759.
1758. George Turnbull, until his death in 1783.
1783. Robert Winter, D.D. (resigned 1796).
1790. Henry Summers (morning preacher).
1792. William Humphries (morning preacher, 1792–96; pastor, 1796–1808).
1809. Thomas Raffles, D.D., LL.D.
1812. Daniel Washbourn. He was buried (1834) under the pulpit.
1834. John Tarras Cumming.
In the Council's ms. collection is:
(fn. 3) Photograph of the chapel.