Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44 - Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs

Year published

1994

Author

Hermione Hobhouse (General Editor)

Description

The dockland parish of All Saints’, Poplar, encompasses the ancient hamlet of Poplar itself, the old shipbuilding centre of Blackwall, and the former industrial districts of Millwall and Cubitt Town. Poplar’s story is one of development and redevelopment on both the grand and the comparatively small scale, driven in the nineteenth century by mercantile interests and manufacturing, and after the Second World War by de-industrialization and the obsolescence of the Thames-side docks. The East and West India and Millwall Docks system is discussed in detail, together with the riverside wharves and works, and the massive regeneration, still in progress, which followed the creation of the Isle of Dogs Enterprise Zone in 1982. Among important individual buildings described is the seventeenth-century church of St Matthias, a rarity from the Interregnum, built for the East India Company. A major subject is public housing, which includes the famous Lansbury Estate, built in association with the 1951 Festival of Britain.

Sponsor

English Heritage

Source

Survey of London (Secondary texts)

Places

Subjects

Periods

Showing records 1 - 50 of 257

1
V
2
VI-VIII
3
XI-XVII
4
VII-IX
5
XI-XX
6
7
1-20
8
21
9
21-23
10
23-37
11
37-54
12
55-61
13
61-77
14
77-90
15
90-97
16
98-107
17
107-110
18
111-113
19
113-117
20
117-119
21
120-126
22
127-147
23
147-153
24
153-170
25
171-173
26
173-176
27
176-180
28
180-188
29
188-199
30
200-202
31
202-207
32
207-211
33
212-223
34
223-239
35
239-246
36
247-248
37
248-268
38
268-281
39
281-284
40
284-300
41
300-310
42
310-313
43
313-326
44
326-335
45
336-341
46
341-344
47
345-353
48
353-356
49
356-374
50
375-387
  1 2 3 4 5 6