Edited by F H W Sheppard. These volumes complete the Survey's study of St James, describing the northern part of the parish, between Piccadilly and Oxford Street. This is a varied area, lying astride Regent Street, embracing tightly-packed streets in Soho and more orderly developments in the Savile Row area. The principal monument here is Burlington House, which is dealt with in some detail; there are also accounts of the streets of Lord Burlington's adjacent estate. East of Regent Street, the coverage includes Golden Square, the later history of the Piccadilly Circus area, and the formation of Shaftesbury Avenue. The history of James Wyatt's Pantheon, of 1772, is also given. (Note: Regent Street itself is not included, though there is a short account of the rebuilding of the Regent Street Quadrant in 1905-28.)
Survey of London. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1963.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.