The Grey Friars of London. Originally published by Aberdeen University Press, Aberdeen, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
P. 4, line 10. The process of indexing has called attention to the numerous instances of goldsmiths (16), fellows of Gray's Inn (9), and advocates of the Court of Canterbury (7) who were buried in Greyfriars Church. The Goldsmiths' quarter was close to the convent, in Wood Street, and Guthron Lane. The offices of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury were also close by in Ivy Lane. Whilst the Greyfriars was the nearest church of importance to Gray's Inn.
P. 7, line 6. The added names are Thomas Cudnor, Richard Myhyll, James Longe, Robert Prowde, John Spence, Anne Tybbe, John Wodde, and John Wythewater.
P. 26, lines 7–11. A similar formula is used in the surrenders of the Grey Friars of Aylesbury, Bedford, Coventry, and Stamford. (Letters and Papers, Henry VIII., xiii. (ii.), 501, 525, 539, 564.)
P. 27, line 24. The original of the deed by which the executors of Henry le Waleys released a rent of 3s. on the tenement of Thomas de Brauncestre in exchange with Trinity Priory (see pp. 155 and 162 above) is in Ancient Deeds, A. 2179 at the Record Office.
P. 65. Thomas Canynge: a Thomas de Canynge, O.F.M., was ordained priest by the bishop of Worcester in the parish church of Foleham, diocese of London, on 21st January, 1308 (Weare, The Friars Minors of Bristol, p. 46).
P. 65. Richard Dane, see Watney, History of St. Thomas Acon, p. 294, under date 1401.
P. 74. John, son of Robert Chalons, together with his daughter Katherine, is alleged to be buried at Whitefriars, in Harley MS. 6033, f. 9.
P. 78. John Aleyn, doctor of laws, and Anne, his wife, occur in 1455 (Col. Pap. Reg. xi., 226).
P. 80. Thomas Gloucestre and William Cantelowe (cf. pp. 20810) occur as parties to a deed in 1442 (Ancient Deeds, C. 3154).
P. 82. "Frere William de Appilton, phisicien et surgien" was retained in the service of John of Gaunt in 1373 (John of Gaunt's Register, 836). In the Anominalle Chronicle of 1381 he is styled "grant justiciaire et surregene et grand maester ovecque le roy et duc de Lancastre" (Engl. Hist. Rev., xiii. 517). He was beheaded by the rebels under Wat Tyler on 14th June, 1381 (id.; Riley, Memorials of London, 450).
P. 83. Nicholas Tremayn occurs as J.P. for Cornwall in 1422 (Cal. Pat. Rolls, Henry V., ii., 423).
P. 84. Richard Fylongley and Margery, his wife, occur in 1384 and 1391; Margery was dead before 15th March, 1401 (Ancient Deeds, A. 9831, A. 11948–9).
P. 90. John, son of Bartholomew Burghersh, was father of Maud, wife of Thomas Chaucer (the son of the poet).
P. 92. Henry Bodrugan was a knight in January, 1477, and occurs as late as October, 1486 (Ancient Deeds, A. 9473, A. 9933).
P. 99. John Bloyhou may have belonged to the Cornish family of Bloyow or Blochyou (see Calendar of Ancient Deeds, Vol. IV).
P. 107. Henry Norbury, and Anne, his wife, occur on 5th Nov., 1448 (Cal. Pap. Reg. x. 385).
P. 110. Margaret Yonge by her will in 1500 directed her body to be buried in the south part of the Greyfriars Church at London, "that is to say afore the ymage of our Lady within the valens of the same church" (Kent Records, Sede Vacante Wills, p. 46). The "valens" probably means the screen between the Altars and the Nave. Her tomb, as described on p. 110 above, was "coram Altaribus," but was before the Jesus Altar. The Altar of St. Mary was on the north side, and the image of St. Mary (mentioned on p. 119 above) was apparently under the third window in the north aisle of the Nave.
P. 110. Alexander, son of Alan de Kyrketon, occurs in 1313 (Ancient Deeds, A. 9717).
P. 111. Bernard de Primeroll, who held land in Dowgate, died in 1362 (Cal. Inq. p.m., ii., 254).
P. 111. Will of John Lee, goldsmith, to be buried in Greyfriars, London (Kent Records, Sede Vacante Wills, p. 27).
P. 114. Thomas Cottyngwyth, clerk of the Court of Canterbury, proctor-general, occurs in 1403 (Ancient Deeds, A. 3095).
P. 118. Elizabeth Hamden may be Elizabeth, daughter of Elizabeth Uvedale by her first husband (see p. 108), who married John Hamden, or Hampden, of Hampden.
P. 124. Richard Welford is possibly the sheriff of 1311–12 (see p. 156 above).
P. 145, line 13. Thomas of Eccleston gives the name of the fourth friar as Melioratus.
P. 155, line 6. The text follows the MS., but the words "Denariatas de tenemento Thome Branchester" belong to the previous clause and should follow after "15 sol. 2d.".
Repairs at Greyfriars. On 6 September, 1486, Henry VII. made a grant of four oaks for the Church of the Friars Minors in London (Materials for the History of Henry VII., i., 548, Rolls Series). This is a later notice of repairs than any given on p. 43 above.