Appendix: Miscellaneous 1554

Calendar of State Papers, Spain, Volume 13, 1554-1558. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1954.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


'Appendix: Miscellaneous 1554', Calendar of State Papers, Spain, Volume 13, 1554-1558, (London, 1954), pp. 443-444. British History Online [accessed 13 June 2024].

. "Appendix: Miscellaneous 1554", in Calendar of State Papers, Spain, Volume 13, 1554-1558, (London, 1954) 443-444. British History Online, accessed June 13, 2024,

. "Appendix: Miscellaneous 1554", Calendar of State Papers, Spain, Volume 13, 1554-1558, (London, 1954). 443-444. British History Online. Web. 13 June 2024,

Miscellaneous 1554

Extract from a Journal of the Travels of Philip II by Jean de Vandenesse, Controller to the Emperor and later to Philip II, printed by Gachard and Piot in Voyages des Souverains des Pays Bas, Vol. IV, from a copy of a MS which, according to Gachard, was formerly preserved in the Public Library at Rheims.
29 July The Duchess of Alva arrived at Winchester on the Monday after the wedding, because she had landed at Plymouth. The company remained at Winchester until the last day of the month. On that day, the Court left for Basing, a house belonging to the Marquess of Winchester, Lord Treasurer of England, who paid all expenses.
2 August To Reading.
3 August To Windsor, where the King and Queen alighted at the church, and his Majesty was installed as head of the Order of the Garter. They made the offerings that are customary whenever the Kings of England arrive at Windsor or come within one league of that place, being obliged by their statutes to enter the church wearing the great mantle and collar of the Order and make an offering. In this place, the King held a chapter of the Order. Their Majesties lodged at the castle, a very ancient building which once belonged to the Templars, and later to the knights of Rhodes.
11 August To spend the night at Richmond, where his Majesty had news that the French had besieged Renty, and that the Emperor had left Brussels to raise the siege and give battle. Almost all the lords and gentlemen who had come to England with the King asked leave to go over to be present at this battle, and his Majesty granted it to them. Therefore, until they had returned, his Majesty took his meals in private, but this was not for long, for news soon came that the French had withdrawn.
17 August To spend the night in the suburbs of London, at a house which formerly belonged to the Duke of Suffolk.
18 August Their Majesties made their entry into London, crossing the river by bridge over the Thames, passing through the City and going to lodge in the suburb known as Westminster, in a palace which formerly belonged to the Cardinal of York, where the Kings of England are wont to lodge. They were attended by a brave company of many great lords and ladies.
The following Sunday they attended high mass at the Abbey, and his Majesty stayed in London until 23 August.
23 August
To sleep at Hampton Court, a magnificent abode where their Majesties remained until 28 September, on which day they returned to London, to stay until 4 April, 1555. During this period, all the lords of the Low Countries came over from Flanders to pay court to the King. On 27 September the Duke of Savoy arrived, being lodged at Court and his expenses paid by his Majesty. The restoration of religion was now undertaken, and the churches which had been profaned under Kings Henry VIII and Edward VI were reconsecrated. Lord Paget was sent to the English Cardinal, Pole, who was then at Brussels as Papal Legate, to bring him to England. The Cardinal arrived and was admitted as Legate. He arrived by water, made his reverence to their Majesties, and was lodged on the other side of the Thames at a palace called Lambeth belonging to the Archbishops of Canterbury. The present Archbishop was in prison for heresy. He was later executed, and the said Legate was provided to his see. At about this time the King went to hear mass at the great church of London, the Cardinal attending as Legate. After mass, his Majesty and the Legate appeared at the windows giving on to the square where all the people were assembled, and there a sermon was preached by the Bishop of Winchester, Chancellor of England, who explained the error into which the English had fallen when they refused the Pope the obedience they owed him. The upshot was that the Cardinal was received as Apostolic Legate, the English returned to the obedience of the Church of Rome, and the Holy Sacrament once more placed in the churches and monasteries according to the ancient custom. This was a miraculous event, brought about by the hand of God, that a people and kingdom which had been so misguided and desolate should have been led back to union with the Church, without bloodshed, by Divine Providence and the efforts of their Majesties and their Council. The Bishop of Ely, Lord Montagu and the doctor (i.e. Sir Edward Carne) were sent to Rome as ambassadors and were received by his Holiness with great goodwill. During this time, his Majesty had released from prison several lords and gentlemen who had been confined in the Tower of London as rebels for their share in the recent disorders, such as the sons and brother of the Duke of Northumberland, and others.
During this season, royal tournaments were held in which the King took part, and also the Spanish cane-play.