Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541-1857: Volume 3, Canterbury, Rochester and Winchester Dioceses. Originally published by Institute of Historical Research, London, 1974.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CANONS OF CANTERBURY
All the prebends of Canterbury were originally in the king's gift, by the charter of incorporation, but Edward VI granted the archbishop of Canterbury the right of presentation to the 1st, 4th and 6th prebends, 31 Aug. 1547 (C.P.R. 1547-8 p. 38). These three prebends are subsequently always designated by their numbers, but in the other prebends, the succession has to be traced from the original holders by reference to predecessors. Evidence for the succession is always implicit in the references cited, or is discussed in footnotes.