The Manuscripts of Lincoln, Bury St. Edmunds Etc. Fourteenth Report, Appendix; Part VIII. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1895.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Registers, vols VI and VII (1653-1710)
Vol. VI.—A folio volume of blank leaves with the exception of six about the middle of the volume which contain the proceedings of the year 1653–4, very badly written. It would seem likely that the earlier portion was left for the transcription of the minutes of probably some ten years preceding, which in the troubles of the Civil War had never been duly entered, or had been lost; while some portion of later years was no doubt contained in the pages now wanting at the beginning of the next volume.
1653[–4], March 7.—The boundaries between the ground of the rectory of St. Peter at Arches and a piece of ground of Mr. Reyner's freehold next adjoining, as set forth by the jurors of a court-leet, are entered at the desire of Mr. Reyner, "preacher of the Gospell in this citie."
—, —. John Bull the elder, William Deeping, Simon Browne, and Thomas Compton are admitted to be the city's waits or musicians.
Inserted at the beginning of this volume is a certificate which belongs to the next, of the production of that volume in a law suit at Lincoln in 1833, signed by Stacey Grimaldi, the genealogist, and others.
Vol. VII.—A folio volume of about 355 leaves at present, but wanting 54 at the beginning according to an old foliation, which is continued in a modern pagination after fol. 63. It contains the Acts from Jan. 26, 1655/6, to June 3, 1710.
The first entry is a copy of Sir William Ellis's "charitable disposition" for four poor widows in Lincoln.
1655–6, Feb. 2.—Agreed that a new common seal be provided, to be eugraven in the same form to make the like impression to the old seal, and that the inscription in the outermost circle be "The comon seale of the city of Lincolne." f. 55b.
—, March 8.—Whereas it is found necessary as well for upholding the Lord's day and week-day lecture at the parish church of Peter at Arches as also for the encouragement and assistance of Mr. Edward Reyner and Mr. George Scottericke, lecturers at the cathedral, to provide another minister to assist them, agreed that 20l. per an. for five years be allowed to a minister of the Gospel, to be recommended by Mr. Reyner and Mr. Scottericke, to assist them in preaching at the cathedral and said parish church. f. 55b.
1655–6, July 7.—Major Gen. Edward Whalley and Major Gen. James Berry admitted to the franchises of the city. f. 57b.
—, Sept. 10.—The lease of Hemswell parsonage to be renewed to Anne, widow of Henry Scupholme, for 25 years at a rent of 30l., she paying 40l. arrears and a fine of 90l. f. 58.
—, Oct. 6.—The inventory of plate comprises one ewer, Mr. Dennys' two bowls, one tun, one salt, one tankard, one goblet of the old fashion, three beer bowls, one case of knives; "all the other plate wanting, as hath been five last years, besides the case of knives lost, only eight now delivered." f. 59b.
1656–7, Feb. 28.—Agreed that the leads of the roof of Peter at Arches be repaired from the east to the furthest end of the common council loft, so as the heads of the mayor, aldermen, and common council be kept dry, and that a window-light be put forth against the loft; provided that this be not drawn into a precedent nor disengage the parishioners from repairing the church. f. 60b.
—, July 25.—Nathaniel Tuke, clerk, to have 5l. yearly for his pains in preaching at Hemswell. f. 62b.
1657–8, Jan. 7.—In reply to a letter from the parishioners of Belton for nomination of a vicar and augmentation of his stipend, the former is promised and the latter refused, the present proportion being equal in value to what it was when the impropriation was granted. p. 67.
—, Aug. 14.—Mr. Edmund Laurence presented to the vicarage of Hanslope. p. 70.
[Four leaves of a register of admissions of freemen from July 1658 to June 1659 here lie loose in the volume.]
—, Dec. 22.—Mr. John Baldwin admitted vicar of Belton, with the same allowance that his father had; and if the corporation are satisfied of the good affections of the parishioners towards him and of his abilities for the ministry, then to have an augmentation of 10l.; but this not to be a precedent. p. 77.
1659, Apr. 5.—The chancel of Belton and the Free School-house of the city repaired. pp. 77, 78.
—, June 14.—The forty-seven pounds returned this summer from the county of Sussex of money collected by the briefs in that county towards the relief of this city in the time of its visitation by the pestilence to be made up to 50l. and put forth upon interest to be employed in the relief of the city poor. p. 79.
1660, Apr. 28.—The mayor to lay out the moneys of the Marshalsea to mariners and maimed soldiers. p. 85.
—, June 19.—The fee farm rent of this city (of 81l. per an.) to be re-granted and presented to the King, and Robert Marshall, esq., counsel to the city, to draw up an address to his majesty for that end. p. 86. Order about the presentation of the address, June 26. p. 87.
—, June 2.—Oswald Rhumney, clerk, presented to the vicarage of Hemswell, p. 86. And again as "Osney Rumney" on March 2, 1660/1. p. 98. Thirty shillings given to "Oswold Rumney" towards his charges for institution Aug. 5, 1661. p. 102.
1660, June 2.—Six shillings and eightpence to be paid monthly to aldress Bartholmew, widow, she being very poor and about eighty years of age. Ibid.
—, Sept. 26.—The yearly stipend of 40l. to be paid to Mr. Edward Reyner and Mr. Abdy, ministers and lecturers of this city. p. 89.
—, Oct. 11.—An address to the Lord Lieutenant of the county, with a list of the soldiers to be arrayed, and the number of the common arms of the city, to be presented at Sleaford on Oct. 19. p. 93.
—, Nov. 28.—Letter from the King, of Nov. 15, for the displacing of intruded aldermen and restoration of those displaced "in these late ill times." Thereupon Mr. John Oliver is displaced and Mr. William Bishop restored, and Mr. Richard Wetherall is restored on March 2 following to his place of coroner. pp. 97, 98.
The King's letter again considered on June 15 and 26, 1661, and Alexander Newcome and William Dawson displaced, and Edward Blawe restored and Richard Wetherall elected, as aldermen. pp. 100, 101.
1661, Aug. 5.—Whereas a petition was preferred to the King by some few citizens against the mayor and some of the aldermen, suggesting their embezzling the money of the city and other pretended miscarriages, which business was heard before the Privy Council, and they were all dismissed from any further attendance at the Board about it, now for the further satisfaction of all persons concerned in the said money it is agreed that diligent enquiry shall be made for the finding out of all stocks and sums of money misemployed and for the recovery and right employing of the same. p. 102.
—, —. Agreed that the two maces shall be altered, and that the King's arms, crown and cross shall be set upon the great mace, and that the small mace shall have the King's arms engraven upon it. Ibid.
1662, Aug. 23—Sept. 23.—Orders and Warrants of the King's commissioners for putting in execution the Act of Parliament for the well governing of corporations, displacing and restoring numerous members and officers of the corporation. pp. 111–13. William Dawson, displaced in 1661, is restored.
—, Sept. 20.—Whereas we are informed from the Dean and Chapter that they having their library called Great St. Mary's formerly in the unhappy war plundered, some books of which library is conceived by them to be in our custody, it is therefore agreed that they shall have a view of what books we have in the school library, and such of them as they shall sufficiently make appear did belong to their library to be forthwith restored unto them. p. 116.
—, Oct. 14.—Mr. Justice Terrill's proposition for an augmentation to the vicar of Hanslope refused. p. 120.
—, Oct. 23.—Warrants for displacing and appointing several members of the corporation. pp. 123–4.
1663, Apr. 21.—In consequence of an Act of Parliament now being in debate in the House of Commons touching augmentations of livings in corporations, which will be the ruin of Lincoln if timely provision be not made for uniting of parishes in the city, four of the ablest, ancient est and discreetest parishioners of each parish are to be summoned to appear before the mayor and aldermen to give an account what every parish may afford towards the maintenance of a minister, and how many parishes are fit to be united. p. 126.
1663, Sept. 14.—For prevention of abuses heretofore committed upon election days by foreign poor people, proclamation to be made that no poor people whatsoever shall come to the houses of the mayor elect and sheriffs elect, upon pain of punishment by the law; and the mayor and sheriffs elect shall send contributions as they shall think fit to the several parishes to-morrow in bread, to be disposed of to such poor only as shall keep at home in obedience to this law. p. 129.
—, Nov. 19.—Thomas Dawson, who was displaced as alderman by the commissioners' warrant of Oct. 23, 1662, appeared at the Council and refused to absent himself, alleging that the warrant was illegal. p. 134.
1664, Jan. 9.—A confirmation of the charters to be applied for, in consequence of a writ of Quo warranto having been issued. p. 135.
1668, Aug. 12.—Whereas the inhabitants of the town of Wragby are now about procuring a grant from his Majesty for several fairs which may prove very prejudicial to this city, and whereas a writ of Ad quod dampnum is to be executed to-morrow at Wragby, the Recorder and some of the aldermen, &c., are desired to go over to make appear to the sheriff and jurors what damage it may be to this city, and to take with them the charter of Hen. IV. in which several fairs are granted to the city, and also certain "Suggestions" [or Reasons] engrossed on parchment. p. 175. The Suggestions are given at p. 180.
—, Nov. 7.—The Recorder thanked for his care and pains in the business at Wragby, and to have 20s.; the town-clerk to have 10s. p. 179.
—, —. The charter of K. Henry IV. was this day delivered into the iron trunk, and the charter of Hen. VIII. Ibid.
—, —. Whereas the Bishop of Lincoln was formerly moved concerning the Free School, but no visitation is yet made thereof, agreed that there shall be further address made to the said Bishop and to the Dean and Chapter to desire their care and pains in visiting and making inspection into the School. Ibid.
1669, May 22.—Whereas by the multiplicity of halfpennies and farthings of many several stamps uttered, paid out, and spread abroad by several particular tradesmen and private persons within this city (for private profit and gain), the citizens and inhabitants . . . are at much loss and trouble by their receiving halfpence and farthings of so many several stamps that they cannot without much trouble distinguish the owners . . . nor sort them in such manner as to send them to the owners to change, and after all that pains and trouble many times cannot have them changed without much repining of such persons as put the same forth, and sometimes the owners do absolutely refuse to change the same, and some persons that have put forth such farthings are since dead or removed far from this city, that those which have taken such farthings and halfpence cannot have the same changed but are at a clear loss therein: now, for the prevention of the like for the future, and for the profit and advantage of the poor of this city, and for fit and convenient change, it is ordered and agreed upon that one stamp for the stamping of one fair and large halfpenny of good yellow brass to be made and stamped at the public charge of this city, with the city arms on one side thereof, and these words on the other side thereof Lincoln Citty halfepenny Changed by the Maior, shall be forthwith provided and gotten, and so many halfpennies stamped therewith as twenty pounds will purchase; . . . . [and the sheriffs] as soon as they can get them from London to pay them to the Mayor to be by him forthwith dispersed; and the common cryer shall the next market-day after the receipt . . . proclaim this act, and decry all other halfpennies and farthings from passing within this city; and the mayor . . . shall at all times hereafter readily and freely change the said halfpennies and give silver for them to the full value which they pass for so oft as they shall be brought to him by any person or persons; and . . . shall every six months give account of the stock and profit of the said halfpennies; and the said mayor and aldermen to distribute all such profit amongst the most needful poor so oft and in such manner as they shall think fit; and that no more halfpennies shall at any time hereafter be stamped or provided for the use of this city without the consent of the common council. p. 183.
1669, May 22 —Order for observing the King's birthday by attendance at service at the Cathedral and by a dinner, with a fine of 2/6 on every person neglecting. p. 184.
—, —. The proposals made by several persons to be the city's brickmaker. p. 185. John Widnall elected for life, who offered a fine of 35l. and undertook to enlarge the size of brick and tile, over two others who offered fines of 30l., and one who offered 20l.
—, July 5.—Twenty pounds' worth more of the city's halfpennies ordered to be procured and stamped. p. 187.
—, July 24.—Five pounds' worth of farthings of yellow brass to be procured, and stamped with the city arms on one side, and these words on the other side Lincolne Citty farthing. p. 188.
—, —. Whereas divers persons of honour and quality out of their kindness and respects to this city and for the benefit and advantage of the citizens and inhabitants thereof, have a desire that one or more horse-races may be set up annually for ever upon the heath in the parishes of Harmston and Colby, under such articles as shall be thought fit by the trustees, viz. Lady Dorothy Stanhope, the Earl of Lindsey, Henry Earl of Ogle, John Earl of Exeter, George Visc. Castleton, Bennett Lord Sherrard, John Lord Roos, Sir John Monson, the elder, bart., and Sir Robert Carr, bart., and that lands may be purchased and settled on them and their heirs; and that in case a constant rent of 24l. per an. or more be raised, that then one third part may be employed for a lesser plate to be run for by hunting horses, and the other two parts be for the providing a greater plate, not to be run for the same day, and that no horse above six years old be admitted to run for either; and they are desirous to know what money will be given by this city; it is agreed that 20l. be for this end advanced. p. 189.
—, Nov. 20.—The charters of Henry II., Richard I., John, Henry III., Edward I. and Edward II., which were lately delivered out to Mr. South, town clerk, for defence of a suit brought by one Gilliat against the late sheriffs, were now delivered back and laid into the chest. p. 195.
—, —. Notice to be again given by the cryer that no halfpennies or farthings are to be taken but those stamped by the city. p. 196.
—, —. Fifteen pounds' worth more of halfpennies and five pounds' worth of farthings to be procured. Ibid.
1670, June 15.—Ten pounds' worth more of brass halfpennies to be procured. p. 200.
—, Oct. 20.—William Farmer, of Thavies Inn, Holborn, to be employed as solicitor to attend Parliament touching an Act for making navigable several rivers leading to this city. p. 210.
1671, March 16.—The schoolmaster and usher of this city to have each of them 20s. towards their charges of their scholars' last acts. p. 211.
—, Oct. 1.—In the inventory are entered these books: Pulton's Statutes at large, Scobell's Acts, Acts relating to Justices of the Peace, and five new statute books all bound together in one in a parchment cover. p. 217.
[From 4 Oct. 1671 onwards to Nov. 11, 1672, constant entries occur relative to the work with regard to the navigation of the rivers.]
1673, June 25.—20l. per an. to be paid to Walter Broomesgrove, clerk, who is likely to come to be parson of St. Peter at Arches, for preaching a sermon every Sunday in the afternoon and Michaelmas day in the forenoon. p. 235.
1675, Oct. 4.—In the inventory is entered, one piece of old gold given to the corporation by Mr. Michael Hollingworth. p. 263.
1676, Apr. 29.—Ordered that the halfpence and farthings belonging to the city shall be sold by the mayor to such person or persons as will give the most for them. p. 270.
—, May 25.—This Common Council being (by many testimonials of unquestionable credit) assured of the sad condition of Isa a Caldeon, a priest, and his sons, it is ordered that the mayor shall give 20s. towards the relief of him and his sons. p. 271.
—, Oct. 2.—In the inventory occur for the first time the "Ensigns of authority," viz., three swords, one large mace, one little mace, one cap of maintenance, one tipstaff, one walking staff with a seal upon it. p. 276.
1678, Jan. 21.—An addition of 4l. per an. granted to the vicarage of Hanslope, on the presentation of Mr. William Ward as vicar. p. 291.
—, May 14.—An additional 4l. granted to him. p. 294.
—, Sept. 30.—In the inventory are now entered, one lesser silver tankard, one silver salt, and one dozen silver spoons, which tankard salt and spoons were bought by way of exchange for the great ewer with some addition of money. p. 304.
1679, Feb. 4.—On reading of a petition from all or most of the inhabitants of Belton, of the vacancy of their vicarage, wherein they do utterly disclaim, deny and detest of having any liberty to make choice of another vicar and all right of presentation to the same vicarage, it is now ordered that another person shall be elected in the room of the late vicar Mr. Hugh Shaw, deceased. John Upsall is elected by 26 voices over 5 given for John Reyner (fn. 1) and one for Stephen Willoughby. p. 308.
—, May 29.—Ordered that the mayor shall pay to Joseph archbishop of Samos the sum of 5l. towards the building of a Greek church in London. p. 309.
person so offending; in default of payment, to be levied by distress. p. 311.
1679, June 7.—The sword-bearer to take special notice of every alderman and common councilman coming to St. Peter's Church on Sunday afternoons without their gowns, and to demand xiid. of every
—, June 21.—The customs, statutes, and ordinances of the Company of Tailors, formerly granted to them, to be renewed, with such alterations and additions as shall be agreed on. p. 313.
—, July 26.—A silver tankard bequeathed by Henry Morley, senior alderman, deceased, is received from his executrix. p. 314.
—, Dec. 6.—The ordinances of the Company of Tailors sealed, which were confirmed on Sept. 25. pp. 321–7.
The ordinances, which are 18 in number, are said to be for "the continuance, sustentation, maintenance and relief of the occupation, mistery, craft and company of taylours," the ordinances heretofore granted having been discontinued and not observed, to the great decay and hurt of the city. The subjects of the ordinances are as follows:—
1. Yearly election of a master, two wardens and a dean.
2. No tailor to set up or do any work before agreement with the master and the mayor; foreign tailors to pay 40s. to the master, etc.
3. Forfeit of 2l. 6s. 8d. for "upsetts" before agreement.
4. Every foreign tailor to pay 3l. 6s. 8d. for his "upsett."
5. No foreign tailor to work at all in any private house, and no tailor of the company without it be for one day to do his customer a pleasure.
6. No person to set any on work except he be a master-man.
7. Two persons to be elected to be searchers of defaults in any manner of garment, on complaint thereof.
8. No person to shape or cut against the wool, or set any inconvenient piece in the outside of any garment unless for want of cloth or that the owner will have it so, nor set any cloth of the right side, nor shape any motley or damask against the leaves or branches.
9. Payments to the dean and clerk at first entry and yearly, and where and when the four morn-speech days shall be kept, with forfeits for nonattendance.
10. Every journeyman working 16 days to pay 4d., and if he continue a year to pay 12d. yearly.
11. Forfeitures for refusing to hold office, &c.
12. Lands may be bought for the company, and goods and legacies received.
13. Every brother to be a franchest man.
14. Concerning evil words and misbehaviour in the master's presence, to be punished by forfeiture or imprisonment. Tailors not to take more for making a pair of plain hose of an apprentice or servant than 4d., and for making a coat with sleeves than 9d., for every doublet 1s. 4d., and every coat without sleeves 7d.
15. None to buy any cloth, &c., or trimming for any garment to sell the same again, or to buy or sell any linings, or to make for sale any drawers.
16. Concerning the burying of poor brethren, and allowances while living.
17. The master to have power to commit brethren to ward who do not pay forfeitures.
18. Concerning determination of ambiguities or doubts in these articles.
1680, March 27.—Richard Sharpe to have a lease of a messuage with a close or orchard in St. Mary's parish on giving bond of 50l. that he will not bury any person, nor suffer any person to be buried, in the ground belonging to the said house. p. 328.
1681, Aug. 25.—The town-clerk ordered to attend at St. Peter's church every Sunday afternoon in his gown, on pain of 12d. for every default. p. 46.
—, Oct. 3.—In the inventory the seals are described thus, at greater length than before: One statute box with the greater part of the statute seal in it, two other silver seals, one old silver cognizance, and one piece of silver which came off a sword panel. Also, one dozen of large white-hafted case knives, all in a case together with a cover. p. 351.
—, Dec. 14.—Upon the reading of a letter from Sir Thomas Meres at London about several French Protestants coming to inhabit in this city, and for a stock and convenient lodgings to be provided for them at the city's charge, it is ordered that the mayor do forthwith send a letter to Sir Thomas Meres, that there is not any convenient houses or places in this city for them to come to dwell here, and that the city is not in a condition to raise a stock for them, and also that it is the opinion of this common council that it will be no advantage to this city but a prejudice to them and all others. p. 353.
1682, Oct. 2.—In the inventory, two dozen large pewter trencher plates given by Mr. Garnon, alderman, and two dozen and a half pewter trencher plates given by the present mayor, Charles Allanson, all having the city's arms thereupon. p. 361.
1683, July 18.—Address of congratulation to the King on the discovery of the conspiracy for the assassination of himself and his brother [the Rye House plot]. p. 369.
—, Oct. 1.—In the inventory, four pewter ten-pound dishes given by ald. Coxall, and six dozen pewter trencher plates bought by Mr. Loddington for 40s., in lieu of a collation on his election as alderman. (p. 367.) The city weights are also entered. p. 373.
1684, Jan. 4.—William Hooton gives one dozen and a half mazarine pewter plates in lieu of 20s. for a collation on his election as an alderman. pp. 374, 375.
—, June 4.—Agreement with Joseph Newton of Leicester about the Jersey school. p. 380.
—, —. Saxilby bridge to be repaired, part of which has fallen. Ibid.
—, July 10.—With an unanimous consent it is agreed that the charter granted by King Charles I. shall be surrendered to his present Majesty. p. 381.
— Sept. 4.—Letters read about the surrender of the charter, from the Mayor to Lord Chief Justice Jeffreys at York, dated July 11, and from Jeffreys in reply, dated July 14. The mayor thanks him in the name of the city for the honour of his late visit, informs him of the agreement for the surrender, and desires instructions by the bearers to whom and in what manner those employed herein shall make application when at London or at Court. Jeffreys returns thanks for the late kind and noble reception of him and his brother [-judge], and for their truly loyal vote; has given the King by this post a full account of their loyal and prudent behaviour; will not forget his promise of making their way easy, and freeing them from as much expense in money and time as he can. As the King is suddenly designed for Winchester and from thence to New Market, thinks it advisable that they await his further directions on his return from circuit. pp. 383–4.
1684, Oct. 6.—In the inventory there are further gifts of pewter plates, four large iron spits, racks, iron range and stamp. p. 386.
—, Oct. 18.—Form of surrender of that part of the charter touching the election of any persons into any city offices, "considering how much it imports the government of this kingdom to have men of known loyalty and approved integrity to bear offices of magistracy and places of trust"; desiring a re-grant of all privileges in such manner and form as his Majesty shall judge most conducing to the good government of the city, and with such reservations, restrictions, and qualifications, as he shall appoint. p. 388.
Memorandum that on Nov. 2, being Sunday, 1684, the surrender and charter of Charles I. were presented to the King by a deputation of four persons (introduced by Jeffreys), together with a petition for a new charter "and several other things," and that the King received them very kindly, and promised a new charter, &c. p. 389.
1685, Jan. 1.—Reception of the new charter. This morning, about 8 o'cl., Mr. Mayor and the aldermen in their scarlet gowns, the sheriffs, common council men, and chamberlains, all in their gowns, attended with the company of trained bands and several gentlemen, and inhabitants to a considerable number, walked from Mr. Mayor's house to Barr gates and so against St. Katherine's, and upon the green there Mr. Mayor received the new charter from Sir Thomas Hussey, bart., who had it sent to him by the Earl of Lindsey, the city's new Recorder. So soon as Mr. Mayor received the charter and the key of the box where the same was, he opened the box, and took the charter out, and he, the aldermen, sheriffs, common councilmen, chamberlains, and most of the gentlemen and company there, kissed the seal, and after loudly shouted God save the King. Then Mr. Mayor delivered the charter to the Town Clerk, who was present in his gown, and ordered him to carry it open before him to the Guildhall. Thereupon Mr. Mayor with Sir Thomas Hussey and several other gentlemen, the aldermen, and all the rest of the body and company, walked up the city to the Guildhall, the trained bands going before to make way; the street was filled with people, the city's waits playing before Mr. Mayor, and the bells ringing. In this manner they came to the Guildhall, where the charter was openly read by the Town Clerk, and the hall was crowded with people. Then Mr. Mayor was sworn mayor and justice of peace, which being done they came out of the Guildhall, and so went to the great conduit, which ran claret wine, and there drank the King's and Duke of York's health. After that, the gentlemen and company went along with Mr. Mayor to his house to a great dinner. After dinner, in their way Mr. Mayor and the company drank the King's and Duke of York's health at the lesser conduit, which ran likewise claret wine, &c. The bells rang all the day, and music played, drums beating, &c., and the night concluded with bonefires and ringing of bells clear through the city. p. 390.
Memorandum: The Bishop of Lincoln gave 20l., and Sir Thomas Hussey, Sir Henry Monson, Sir Thomas Meres, knt., and Henry Stone esq., each 10l., towards the charges of renewing the charter. Ibid.
—, Feb. 9.—This day in the afternoon, not long after the post came in, his Majesty King James II. was proclaimed King in these several places, viz., upon the green in St. Botolph's parish, upon the hill against St. Mary's church, at the Stone-bow, at Bail-gates, in the Minster Yard, and in Newport, by the Mayor and aldermen in their scarlet gowns, the Town-clerk, sheriffs, common-council men, and chamberlains, in their gowns, all on horseback, the Dean and Chapter being present, and several gentlemen citizens and inhabitants attending all on horseback, attended with a great number of citizens, inhabitants and others on foot, according to the order of Council. [This order then follows, with a copy of the King's proclamation as printed.] After his Majesty was proclaimed as aforesaid, the Mayor, aldermen, &c. went to the Guildhall, where a banqueting was provided at the city's charge, and then they went to some bonefires, and drank the King's, Queen's, and royal family's healths, and the night concluded with bonefires, drums beating, ringing of bells; &c. pp. 393–4.
1685, Feb. 28.—An address sent to the King on his accession, subscribed by the Mayor, corporation, citizens, and inhabitants, to the number of five hundred and more. p. 395.
—, July 21.—Whereas for these several years now last past it hath been a custom in this city for the mayor elect and the two sheriffs elect severally to make and give a treat or banqueting on every Holy Rood day, being Sept. 14, presently after they were elected, and the said treat or banquetting not only being a great trouble and charge, and several abuses and misdemeanours committed on that day by the freemen and inhabitants and the great number of foreigners which constantly resort to the said treat, to the great disturbance of the King's peace and abuse of the said treat; and for that the said treat or banquetting upon serious consideration is looked upon to be a thing altogether unnecessary and useless; therefore it is hereby ordered that the said treat . . . . shall for the future be clearly laid aside and none made. And the city being much in debt for money borrowed for the Foss dyke and for renewing the charter, 13l. 13s. 4d. shall yearly be deducted from the Mayor's allowance of 90l., and 26l. 6s. 8d. from the sheriffs' allowance of 46l. p. 398.
—. Mr. Henry Stone, of Skellingthorpe, gave one new velvet hat of maintenance, made in London, which cost near 20l. p. 399.
1686, March 6.—Order against the opening of any shop or the using of any trade by foreigners not free of the city. p. 408.
—, Oct. 4.—In the inventory, nine pewter dishes bought by Mr. Coxall, late mayor, of Mr. Freeston's executors, with his coat of arms and the city's set thereon. p. 416.
1687, Aug. 3.—Belton chancel to be viewed and repaired. p. 422. And the parsonage house, July 5, 1688. p. 436.
A new sun-dial to be set up over the Guildhall. p. 422.
—, Oct. 3.—In the inventory of plate a large gold ring appears for the first time. p. 426.
—, Dec. 31.—Abraham Morrice, mercer, brought the following letter from the King to the mayor and corporation for making him a freeman without taking any oaths. "James R. Trusty and wellbeloved we greet you well. Whereas we have received a good character of the loyalty of our well-beloved subject Abraham Morrice, mercer, we have thought fit hereby to require you to make him a freeman of that our city of Lincoln, with all the rights and privileges thereunto belonging, without administering unto him any oath or oaths whatsoever, with which we are graciously pleased to dispense in his behalf. And for so doing this shall be your warrant. . . . At our Court at Whitehall, Dec. 5." After reading of the said letter it was ordered and agreed that the said Abr. Morrice be made a freeman . . . in pursuance of his Majesty's letter. pp. 429–30.
1688, May 26.—The usual stipend of 20l. granted to Mr. Christopher Colson lately elected usher of the Free School. p. 434.
—, Oct. 1.—In the inventory the new hat of maintenance given by Mr. Stone is the only one mentioned. p. 440.
1689, Feb. 16.—This day in the afternoon, presently after the post came in and persons had notice given, their majesties King William and Queen Mary were proclaimed [in the same places and with the same formalities as James II. Copies of the letter from the Council, and of the two proclamations for the proclaiming and for all persons to continue in their offices, follow.] After their majesties were proclaimed the said Mr. Mayor, etc. went to the Guildhall, where wine ale and biscuit were provided at the city's charge to drink their majesties' health, and in the evening they all went to several bonefires, and there drank their majesties' and the royal family's healths, and the night concluded with bonefires, drums beating, bells ringing, music playing and several other expressions of joy. pp. 443–4.
—, March.—The order of Dec. 31 last for making Abr. Morrice a freeman ordered to be void and of none effect, his late Majesty having by his Declaration dissolved and made his letter void. p. 445.
1690, July 10.—120l. given by Henry Stone, of Skellingthorpe, esq., the interest to be laid out for the use of the poor yearly in coals, corn, or any other things as the Corporation may think fit. p. 459.
—, Aug. 13.—John Osbaldeston, M.A., student of Ch. Ch., Oxford, who has come to be rector of St. Peter at Arches, to have the usual yearly stipend of 20l. for preaching a sermon every Sunday in the afternoon and every Michaelmas day in the forenoon. Ibid.
1691, Feb. 28.—The inner chamber adjoining the Guildhall to be handsomely ceiled with Norway oak for 40l. p. 467.
—, Dec. 5.—The usual stipend to be paid to Mr. Thomas Muston who succeeds Mr. Osbaldeston, who is dead, at St. Peter's. p. 475.
1692, Apr. 2.—Christopher Hillyard elected vicar of Hemswell, in the room of Mr. Gibson, deceased. p. 476. But on Aug. 4, 1693, the vicarage being declared vacant by reason he had left the same and had taken no care to serve it for several months past, and the parishioners being very anxious to have a curate, John Towne is elected to be vicar by 19 voices over 4 for Anthony Smith. p. 491.
1693, June 21.—Gervase Turner elected curate of Belton, in the room of Mr. Upsall, deceased, by 19 voices over 8 given for John Sykes, and 2 for Fulljam Blackman. p. 489.
1695, Jan. 23.—An address of condolence ordered to be presented to the King on the death of Queen Mary. p. 504.
—, Oct. 28.—This morning so soon as the post came in from Grantham Mr. Major and the aldermen received an account that his Majesty King William was on his journey from London, and intended to be in this city to-morrow night, and so pass clear through it to his lodgings at Lieut.-Col. Pownall's house in the Minster Yard, late the house where Bishop Fuller lived. Presently after, Mr. Major sent to the aldermen to meet him at the Guildhall to consult what was the best to be done, and accordingly they met together, and went clear down the street as far as the Little Goat Bridges, and as they went along they ordered all the parishes to get carts and labourers to cleanse the streets, and carry the dirt and rubbish away from thence. Which was done accordingly that day and the next day before the King came, as well as possibly could be done upon such a short warning. All the cross rails down the street were ordered to be taken up, and all stones, wood and other obstructions lying and being in the highway were removed. In the afternoon Mr. Major ordered his officers to give notice and warning to Mr. Recorder, all the aldermen, sheriffs, common council men, and chamberlains, the steward and town clerk, all to provide horses, and to meet the next day at the Guildhall in their gowns at three o'cl. in the afternoon.
1695, Oct. 29.—This day about three o'cl. in the afternoon Mr. Major and the aldermen [etc.] . . . all in their gowns, attended with the Major's officers in their gowns, all met at the Guildhall, and when all were ready they went into the High Street against the said hall, and there mounted on horseback, the city's waits, Newark waits, trumpets hantboys and drums being all ready, they rode down the street, two and two together, as far as the Great Barr gate, the music playing, trumpets sounding and drums beating before them, attended with a great number of gentlemen, citizens, and others, all on horseback. When they came there, and waited an hour or two, the sheriffs with their officers on horseback rid up Cross a Cliff, and about the midway to Reddhall they there waited for his Majesty's coming with torches, links and flamboys; and about 7 o'cl. at night the King in his coach with some of his lords, attended with his guards, came there, and the sheriffs on their knees offered their white staves to his Majesty, but he did not take them. Then the sheriffs got upon their horses, and rode bare before the King's coach (the guards being on both sides them and the coach) till they came to the Great Barr Gate, where Mr. Major, the Recorder, aldermen and company staid. When the King's coach was just through the gate Mr. Major on his knees offered to give his Majesty the great sword which belongs to the city, but the King did not take it. Then Mr. Recorder being just by Mr. Major and near the King's coach, he on his knees made a speech to his Majesty, congratulating his Majesty's safe coming to this city, and how joyful the city in general were to see his Majesty, with a great many expressions of loyalty and duty. Mr. Recorder having ended his speech, Mr. Major and he got upon their horses (the rest of the aldermen and a great company of the body of the city, with a great many gentlemen and others, all on horseback), and so Mr. Major bore the sword before the King's coach, with the hat of maintenance on his head, clear through the city to the King's lodgings in the Minster yard, to Lieut.-Col. Pownall's house, as before. The aldermen went just before Mr. Major, and the other company before them all, on horseback, in ranks, the music, trumpets, and drums before, playing, sounding, and drums beating, clear up the street without intermission. The streets were full of flamboys, torches, links and candles, and crowded with vast numbers of people, and great shoutings and loud acclamations of the people; all the houses, shops and other places were all illuminated with lights and candles, the bells all ringing. When the King came to his lodgings, Mr. Major and the aldermen went in before his Majesty, attended by the gentlemen and others. The King when he was got into the house went up "staiths" into a chamber, and staid there a little while. After, the King came down again, and then Mr. Major, the Recorder, aldermen, steward, town clerk and sheriffs, all on their knees, kissed his Majesty's hand, and were afterwards entertained at a banquet with wine of all sorts and sweetmeats in great quantities, all at the King's charge.
The next morning between 7 and 8 o'cl., Mr. Major and the aldermen in their scarlet gowns, the town clerk, sheriffs and common council men, waited upon his Majesty to the Minster to hear prayers. And after the prayers were ended, his Majesty took coach and went immediately to the Duke of Newcastle's house, to Welbeck in Nottinghamshire, attended by the high sheriff of Lincolnshire and a great many gentlemen and others, all on horseback. pp. 513–14.
1695, Dec. 16.—His Majesty having been graciously pleased, when he was lately here, to grant, upon the request of the mayor and aldermen, a new fair to be kept yearly at such a time as the city should think convenient, enquiry to be made of some knowing persons when is the properest time in the year for the same, and a letter then to be sent to the city's parliament men to make application for the grant. p. 515.
—, —. John Morris elected to the curacy of Belton, void by the death of Mr. Turner. p. 516.
1696, Apr. 30.—Three hundred and odd pounds in clipped money to be sent up to London to be exchanged for new milled money of gold. p. 517.
—, Aug. 22.—Order whe the new fair is to be kept and what tolls to be taken. p. 519.
1697, Feb. 8.—Order about a return to a Mandamus from the King's Bench to admit Abraham Morrice, mercer, as a freeman, he having served seven years as an apprentice in the city. p. 527.
—, Dec. 8.—A house assigned for a house of correction. p. 538.
1698.—From this year the inventories cease to be registered, their contents being said to be delivered to the mayor "as by a note." p. 546.
[1702.—There is no entry of the proclamation of Q. Anne.]
1704, Aug. 8.—Order about a suit to be tried at the next assizes on a dispute with the dean and chapter about the liberties and privileges of the city, which the dean and chapter call in question and disown. p. 598.
—, Sept. 23.—An address of congratulation to the Queen ordered, on the victory gained by the duke of Marlborough. p. 602.
1706, May 21.—An entertainment to be provided at the city's charge for the Bishop of Lincoln. p. 617.
1707, Apr. 3.—Proposed that 10l. be paid towards the relief of the poor episcopal clergy in Scotland. p. 628. [This is not again mentioned, and therefore probably was not confirmed at the next meeting of the common council.]
—, —. Ordered that the Queen be addressed to congratulate her upon account of the Union. Ibid.
—, Sept. 27 and Oct. 22.—Ordered that St. Hugh's fair be removed, for all goods and merchandise, from the Friars to the High Street, between the High bridge and Down Town lock. pp. 634, 636.
—, Nov. 13.—The chancel of Belton church to be viewed and repaired. p. 637.
—, Dec.—The mayor to pay 10l. forthwith towards the loss by fire at Grantham. Ibid.
1708, June 12.—10l. to be given to the parish of St. Peter in Eastgate towards repairing "Greeseing" stairs, they putting the same in sufficient repair and maintaining them so. p. 639.
—, Aug. 28.—An address to the Queen upon the late victory sealed and sent up. p. 640.