Records Relating To the Barony of Kendale: Volume 2. Originally published by Titus Wilson and Son, Kendal, 1924.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The mesne manor of Farleton appears to have been given by Thomas de Bethum in the time of Henry III to his daughter, Eleanor, who held it in 1254. It appears to have passed to Eleanor's sister, Hawise, the wife of Thomas Banastre of Bretherton, co. Lanc., who had received a considerable maritagium in Beetham. Thomas Banastre their son, was father of Adam Banastre, whose daughter Katherine married John de Harrington, younger, of Farleton in Lonsdale. (fn. 1) Lands in Faileton in Kendale were held by a local family. The first was Thomas de Farleton in the reign of John and the last was Ralph de Farleton, named in 1349, who had a daughter Cecily, named in 1352. Ralph appears to have alienated his lands before 1343 to John de Harrington, younger, named above, son of Sir John de Harrington of Aldingham. The younger John died in 1359 seised of the manor, which descended in his posterity as shown in the annexed pedigree:—
Part of the estates of Sir James Harrington, knt., who was attainted in 1485, were granted in 1489 to Sir Edward Stanley, knt., lord Mountegle, who had married Anne, the elder of the two coheiresses of Sir John Harrington of Hornby, and in 1517 he held the manor of Farleton of Thomas Middleton, esq. In 1522 Sir James Harington of Wolphege, being clerk of the kitchen or bakehouse, and in favour with the king, petitioned for and obtained from him, a grant of the Crown's reversionary interest in these lands, contingent on the continuance of male heirs to the lords Mountegle, and again subject to reversion to the Crown in case of failure of male representatives of Sir James' line. In 1564 queen Elizabeth, by letters patent, confirmed to Stephen, the only surviving son of Sir James Harington of Wolphege, his prospective inheritance under the grant from Henry VIII. But there are indications that about 1557 the claim of Stephen Harington to the estates was surrendered to the queen and in 1570 she granted to John Harington of Stepney the Crown's reversion to him and his heirs male. This John Harington seems to have descended from Sir James Harington, dean of York, attainted in 1485, being son of Sir Robert Harington, attainted in 1485, being brother of Sir James Harington of Brierley, co. York. On the death of Stephen Harington of Farleton in 1598, Sir John Harington of Kelston, co. Somerset, son of John Harington of Stepney, attempted to assert his title; but failed to do so. (fn. 2) In 1635 the succeeding John Harington of Kelston surrendered to the king his interest in the manors of Brierley, co. York; Farleton in Lonsdale, co. Lans.; Farleton in Kendale, co. Westmorland; and in all other lands of Sir James Harington, attainted in 1485, which John Harington (of Stepney) had by grant from Queen Elizabeth in 1570. And the king then granted to him one-fifth of all profits from the premises so surrendered and appointed the remaining four-fifths for repairing the Cathedral of St. Paul, London The yearly quit rents being reserved to the Crown. (fn. 3) Sometime subsequently to this grant the Crown granted the manor of Farleton in Kendale to Sir Richard Hutton, knt., serjeant-at-law, who died in 1639, whose son, Richard Hutton of Goldsborough and Hooton Pagnel, co. York, had issue, Elizabeth and Ann, who died young and were buried at Wragby in 1652 and 1653 respectively, and a surviving daughter, who married Philip Wharton of Edlington, co. York, esq. (d. 1685). Their only daughter, Mary, was abducted by Capt. James Campbell, younger brother of Archibald, 10th earl of Argyle, but the marriage which ensued was dissolved about the year 1690, as having been obtained by force. One of the participators in this abduction was hanged.cThe lady then married her cousin Colonel Robert Byerley of Goldsborough, co. York, and Middridge Grange, co. Durham, esq., who joined a number of other persons in 1694 in conveying the manor to the customary tenants of the manor, 35 in number, in whose representatives the manor is now vested under the lord of the superior manor of Beetham.
The messuage in Farleton which Sir John Croft held at his death in 1420 doubtless represented the freehold which was in the possession of Hugh, lord Clifford, when he enfranchised his lands in Farleton in the year 1768.
1208–9 Thomas de Farleton, a witness; Chartul. of Cockersand (Chetham Soc.), 330, 1014.
1216–72 Alianora de Bethum gave to the canons of Cockersand her two natives: (fn. 5) Ralph son of Adam of Farleton and William his brother; Chartul. of Cockersand (Chetham Soc.), 1058.
1220–49 Thomas de Bethum gave to the canons of Cockersand all his demesne arable land in the "avenam" of Farlton, above the highway from Farleton to Burton, and four acres below that highway towards the west with a messuage and garden, and pasture for 12 oxen and cows, 60 sheep and three horses. The abbot's tenants and his own to have common equally when the crops had been carried in autumn on stubble and herbage. The canons also had land in Farlton which Alianora de Bethum bequeathed with her body; Chartul. of Cockersand (Chetham Soc.), 999.
1250–60 Grant by Ælianor, daughter of Thomas de Bethom, and Hawise, her sister, to Ralph son of Michael de Farlton and his heirs of liberty in the mill of Farlton; and the grantors will find for them a suitable (congruum) mill, sufficient for grinding their corn "multrefre" and "hoperfre"; Ralph and his heirs shall give to the miller for his service three loaves of bread (panes) with reasonable accompaniment (cumpanagium) for his food. Witnesses: Sir Robert son of Thomas de Bethom, Sir Roger de Burton; Dodsworth's MS. 149, f. 143.
1254 Eleanor daughter of Thomas holds Farleton of Ralph de Bethum and renders two marks yearly; Lancs. Inq. (Rec. Soc.), pt. i, 196.
1255 Ralph de Farlton a juror; Lancs. Inq., pt. i, 195.
1332 Farleton. Subsidy of a fifteenth.
1342 For a dispute between William de Coucy and William Fowler, defendants, and Sir John de Haveryngton, younger, plaintiff, as to 24 messuages, a mill etc. in the manor of Bethum, probably in Farleton, see Beetham, p. 221.
1349 Ralph de Farlton grants to Sir Ralph de Bethum, knt., and his heirs all his land in the vill of Farlton in the vill of Bethom for ever. Witnesses: Sir Matthew de Redeman, Sir Roger de Burton, knights. Dated 23 Edward III; Dodsworth's MS. 149, f. 143b.
Grant by Ralph de Farlton to "Monsieur Raufe de Bethom" of all his goods moveable and immoveable. Dated 1349; ib., f. 144b.
1351 John de Haveryngton of Farleton held the manor of Farleton of William de Coucy, deceased, and now of the king by cornage, wardship and relief; Cal. Inq. x, 457.
John de Haveryngton of Farleton, knt., attests a charter of Robert de Nevill of Hornby, knt., Cal. Close R., 1351, p. 372.
1352 Grant by Ralph de Bethom to Thomas de Bethom his brother, for life, of all his lands in Farleton, with remainder after Thomas' death to Cecily, daughter of Ralph de Farlton. Witnesses: Sir Matthew de Redeman and Sir Roger de Burton, knights. Dated 26 Edward III; Dodsworth's MS. 149, f. 145b.
1354 John de Haryngton of Farleton, chivaler, Robert de Haryngton, James de Pykeryng and many others indicted of hunting in John de Mowbray's free chase at Burton in Lonesdale; Cal. Pat. R. 1354, p. 130.
1354 John de Haryngton appointed a special justice. Cal. Close Rolls, 1354, p. 18; Cal. Pat. Rolls, 1354, p. 64; 1355, pp. 225, 232, 238.
1362 John de Haryngton of Farleton, held at his death the hamlet of Farleton in Kendale of Sir Ralph de Bethome by homage and fealty and the service of 26s. 8d. for cornage to the same Ralph at Easter and Michaelmas, and jointly with his wife Katherine, deceased, he held the manor of Farleton in Lonsdale by the gift of John de Haryngton of Aldyngham to them and the heirs of their bodies. Nicholas son of the said John and Katherine is the next heir, aged 16 years (sic). Inq. p.m., 36 Edward III, pt i, n. 99; Rawlinson's MS. B. 438, fol. 49; Cal. Pat. Rolls, 1364, p. 50.
1365 Nicholas son and heir of John de Haveryngton of Farleton proved his age and on 27 December, 37th year (1363) the king gave to Ingelram de Coucy, cousin and heir of Robert de Coucy, all the knight's fees of the said Robert, then in his hands; Cal. Close R., 1365, p. 145.
1375 Nicholas de Haveryngton held of Ralph de Bethome the manor of Farleton by homage and fealty and the service of two marks yearly, as of his manor of Bethome and the said Ralph held of Joan, late the wife of John de Coupland, deceased, by the same service; Chan. Inq. p.m., 49 Edward III, 1st Nos., n. 29.
1411 Power to take seisin of the manor of Farleton. Add. MS., 20515.
1420 John Croft, chivaler, died seised of a messuage in Farleton in Kendale. Nicholas his son, aged over 30 years, was his next heir; Lancs. Inq. (Chetham Soc.), pt. i, 140.
1422–40 Before his death in 1440 Sir William Harington, knt., entailed his estates to his heirs male and in default to the heirs male of Sir James Harington, his brother. The entailed estates lay in 15 places (named) in co. Lancaster, including Over Kellet, Bolton in Lonsdale, Ellel, Caton, Farleton in Lonsdale, and also Farleton in Kendale and Bighall, co. Westmorland; Misc. Genealog. et Herald., N.S., iii, 236.
1451 Réntal of Cockersand Abbey; Farleton. Robert Bakhous holds land at will and renders yearly 4s.; the tenants of Farleton hold 14 a. land at will and render 2s.; Chartul. of Cockersand, 1294.
1472 Edward Bethom, knt., and Joan his wife, daughter of William, lord Fauconberge, were seised of the homage and service of James Haryngton, knt., who holds the hamlet of Farlton, as parcel of the said manor or Bethom, by homage and the yearly rent of 26s. 8d.; they held the said hamlet of William Par, knt., by the same service and rent. Edward Bethome, knt., died 22 February last (1472); Chan. Inq. p.m., 12 Edward IV, n. 20.
1489 Grant in tail male to the king's servant, Edward Stanley, a knight for the king's body, of inter alia the manor of Farleton in Kendall with the yearly issues, worth £18 5s. 3d. per annum, from 23 August, 1 Henry VII; Cal. Pat. R. 1489, p. 267; Misc. Genealog. et Herald., N.S., iii, 237.
1501 Rental of Cockersand abbey: Farleton. Roger Bakhowse holds land and renders 4s. The tenants of Farleton hold 14 a. land called Anum and render yearly 2s.; Chartul. of Cockersand, 1295.
1517 Edward Stanley, lord Montegyll, held of Thomas Middelton as of his manor of Bethome all his lands and tenements in Farleton by rendering yearly 24s. of free farm; Exch. Inq. p.m., ser. ii, file 120, n. 2.
1522 Grant to James Harington in tail male of the manor of Farleton in Kendale and other manors late belonging to Sir James Harington, which on his attainder were granted to Edward Stanley, now lord Mountegle, by Patent of 8 March, 4 Henry VII (as above). James Haryngton is son of Nicholas, son of William, son of Richard, son of James, son of Nicholas, father of William, father of Thomas, father of the said Sir James Harington, 3 January, 3 Henry VIII; Letters and Papers, iii, pt. 2, p. 863.
1537 Rental of Cockersand abbey: Farleton. William Thexton and Miles Bakhous hold land there and render yearly 4s. The tenants of Farleton [as in 1501] 2s.; Chartul. of Cockersand, 1295.
1549 Thomas Stanley passed by fine inter alia the manor of Farleton, see Burton in Kendale.
1569Petition of Stephen Harrington, third son of James Harrington, to Sir William Cecil, that he will procure of the queen licence for him to purchase the reversion of the manors of Farleton, Bryarley and Hemmesworth; Letters and Papers, 1547–80, p. 358.
1616? Richard Hutton, Serjeant at Law, held the manor of Farleton of inheritance; The Beetham Repository, 129.
1640 Henry Wilson of Whitewell, gent., held at his death the tithes of grain of Farleton, Overforthe and Aykebancke, late parcel of the rectory of Beethome, of the king as of his manor of Eastgreenwich, co. Kent, by fealty in free socage and a yearly rent of 30s. and are worth yearly £3 clear. Court of Wards, Inq. p.m., vol. 94, n. 188. See Selside, vol. 1, p. 249.
1646 Henry Wilson of Underley compounds for his delinquency. Fine at a 10th, £200; Cal. of Com. for Compounding, ii, 1221.
1650 The same had not compounded for the tithe of Farleton; ib.
1694 Robert Byerley of Goldsborough, co. York, esq., and his feoffees (?) in consideration of £953 conveyed to the underwritten customary tenants all their ancient messuages and lands in the manor of Farlton and Orforth with the commons, timber trees and stone delves (reserving the royalties and the free rent of 24s. yearly to the earl of Derby). The Beetham Repository, 58–61.
Robert Hutton, his ancient messuage and tenement of the ancient yearly rent of £1 7s. 5d.;
c 1750 Farlton free rent: The Beetham Repository, 64.
|Thomas Cartmel, Senr||3||4¾|
|John Cartmel's heirs||1||9¼|
|Mr. Tinkler (fn. 6)||4|
1669 Hearth Tax Roll. Lay Subsidy 195, n. 73, m. 4.
1762 Hugh, lord Clifford, sold to the tenants with the freehold the Kiln Hall, the Flatts, the Crook and an acre in the Ings, containing in all six acres, customary rent 10s. 8d. and two capons, value 1s. 4d.; part of the Ellers, containing 9½ acres, customary rent 11s. 4d. and three capons, 2s.; part of the Ellers, containing 24 acres, customary rent £1 11s. 4d. and six capons, 4s.; The Beetham Repository, 129.