Records Relating To the Barony of Kendale: Volume 3. Originally published by Titus Wilson and Son, Kendal, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
1283 Geoffrey de Melcanthorpe grants all land that he has in the vill of Staveley Godemand, the gift of Robert the son of Ivo de Joneby, to John de Camera and Sibille his wife. Witnesses, Roger de Lonc[astre], William de Stirkeland, Roger de Burton, Richard de Preston, knts. and William de Wyndishouere, Gilbert de Brunolvesheved, Ralph de Patton, Thomas de Derley, Alan the clerk and others. Deed 7¼ins. wide by 53/8 deep; seal of green wax bearing a fluer-de-lys. Chambre Deeds, County Muniment Room.
1283 A writ of four lines of Geoffrey de Melcanthorpe appointing Thomas Collan to deliver seisin in accordance with the above feoffment. Dated at Kirkeby in Kendale Sunday next before the feast of St. Martin (November 7) A.D. MCCLXXXIII. Chambre Deeds, ibid.
1333 Quitclaim by Gilbert son and heir of John de Haltclo to Sibill de Camera and John son of John de Camera of his right in lands, etc. in Staveley Godemund which he claimed as his right before the King's Justices of the Bench against Sibill and on account of her default before the same by the consideration of the court John son of John was admitted to his right of defending. Witnesses, Roger de Brunolvesheved, Roger de Leyburne, knts., Rowland de Patton, Thomas Warde, Richard de Gilpyn and others. Given at Kyrkeby in Kendale on the feast of St. Matthew the Apostle, A.D. 1333. A small circular seal of yellow wax bearing a standing figure. Chambre Deeds, ibid.
1383 Grant by Simon de Multon and Roger son of William the clerk of Kyrkeby Lonesdale to John del Chambre and Christiana his wife of all the lands and tenements they held of the gift and feoffment of the same John in Staveley Godmond within the bounds of Stirkeland Ketyll. Witnesses, William de Thornburgh, Robert de Docura, Robert de Stirkeland, John de Levenes, John Philipson. Given at le Howis in Helsington on the eve of Whitsunday (9 May) 6 Richard 11. Two seals of white paste. Chambre Deeds, ibid.
1395 Indenture made on Sunday next before St. Bartholomew (22 August) 19 Richard II, between Sir John de Hothom of Scoreburgh and Sir Walter de Pedewardyne of the one part and John del Chambre of the other part, testifying that John claims to have common of pasture within the lordship of Staveley for himself and his tenants, the said John and Walter grant it on condition that if his claim were found by counsel at the feast of St. Peter's Chains next to come to be true then John and Walter will that he have and hold the whole right and claim, but if his claim were not true that he and his tenants for their trespass should satisfy them. Chambre Deeds, ibid.
1436 Feoffment by Thomas de Chaumbyr, son and heir of John de Chaumbyr, lately deceased, to Adam Fattyng and John Layerholme, chaplains, of all his lands and tenements lying in the vill of Helsington and all his tenements in Staveley Godmund to hold of the chief lords, etc. Given at Helsington on the feast of St. Romanus the Bishop (October 23) 15 Henry VI. Seal of red wax. Chambre Deeds, ibid.
1543 John Colynson of Staveley in his will bequeaths 6d. to the mending of the highway between his close end and that of William Persyne. Local Chron., XI.
1587 20 September. A licence from William, Bishop of Chester, for the administration of the Sacraments, etc. in Staveley Chapel. Hist. MSS. Com., 10th Rep. 299.
1588/9 Among the MSS. of the Corporation of Kendal are to be found certificates of the inhabitants of Staveley as to the distance of their hamlets from the parish church of Kendal, giving particulars as to the frequent overflows of the waters. The inhabitants of Troutbeck, on 28 June, 1588, certified "uppon our fidelities that we do know the said wais for that yt is our common market way to Kendall and therefore do signifie that the said wais be very dangerous and without great perill not to be passed neyther uppon Foote nor uppon horsebacke by Reason of the aboundance of watters flowinge into the lanes . . . . . as we often tymes to our great perill have proved. Also the draft of an answer thereto and papers relating to a suit for the "unchurching" of Staveley Chapel. Ibid.
1620 James I had taken into his own hands all the customary lands of Westmorland which were held by the ancient Border Service and had granted them to his son Charles, Prince of Wales. Thus the tenants had either to give up their lands which their ancestors had held for centuries by honourable service, or to rebel against their sovereign. A meeting was held on 2 January, 1620/21, in the Staveley Church yard to protest. They were summoned by James Smith, the high constable and bridge master of Kendal Ward, under pretence of viewing the bridge with regard to necessary repairs. The tenants petitioned the king to allow the ancient customs of Border Tenant Right to continue and for their remonstrance, Samuel Knipe, James Smith, John Cartmell, Thomas Pricket, John Beck, Rowland Harrison, Robert Mawson, Francis Washington, Edward Tarne and many other persons to the number of one hundred and above, were indicted by the lords before the Star Chamber, for forming part of the "riotous meeting in Staveley Chapel." The cause was heard in November, 1622, when the defendants pleaded "Not Guilty," whereupon the Court appointed judges to call both landlords and tenants together and hear further evidence as to title. Four years later the king died when the judges pronounced a decree confirming customary estates, but issued a commission to fix the amount to be paid in lieu of Border Service, which had ceased to be necessary.
1671 15 April. It appearing to this court by the oath of Tho. Ayray of Ambleside that about 34 or 35 years since he was employed by Sir Jas. Bellingham, kt., and Gawen Brathwaite, esq., to repair Barley Bridge in Over Staveley, and was paid out of public money; ordered that this bridge stand and be entered in the roll for a public bridge. K. Indictment Book, 1669–92.
1672 5 May. The highway in Ulthwaite in Hugill leading from Kentmyre to K. Kendal for 200 ells is in great decay and is repairable by the inhabitants of Hugill. K. Indictment Book, 1669–1692.
1696 14 July. William Harryson, curate of Staveley, signed the antiJacobite "Association" formed throughout the Kingdom, for the protection of William III. K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724.
1701/2 16 January. Barley Bridge presented as ruinous and in decay; Order to the chief constable to get some sufficient workmen to view the said bridge and give an estimate for its repair on 14 February. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.
1702 17 April. Order that the Chief Constable of Kendal Ward repair Gowan and Barley bridges, formerly reputed to be in decay at a cost not to exceed £3 15s. (Ibid.). On 14 July following, it was ordered that Reginald Dennyson, late high constable of Kendal Ward pay £3 15s., part of the public money in his hands, to old Will. Johnson, present high constable for the repair of Gowan and Barley Bridges. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.
1702 9 October. Order that the high constable take John Brougham of Fairbank and view Ings Bridge and report whether it be a public or a private bridge and make their report. Ibid.
1709 7 October. Indictment and Order to repair Hugill Lanine from the Broad Gate to Rustan Smiddy. Also the laine in Nether Staveley from the bridge end, near the chapel, to Roadridd (Ratherheath) Beck. K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724.
1710 21 April. Order to the inhabitants of Over Staveley to repair the private bridge called New Bridge. (Ibid.). On 7 October, 1715, the bridge is again indicted as being in decay, to the great danger of passengers. (Ibid.). On 21 September, 1716, the public bridge called New Bridge in Over Staveley, being ruinous, did fall downe to the damage of the king's subjects there. Ibid.
1730/1 15 January. In pursuance of an Order made at this General Quarter Sessions for the high constable to view the common highways and to make a report of the state and condition of the same, Benjamin Browne, reported that the way from Ratherhead to Sandhill was very narrow, opposite to the Crow wood especially, and many places much incumbered with the hedges on each side. From Broad Gate to the far end of Ings cawsey in some places so very narrow that a cart can scarce run. Browne MSS., vol. i, n. 220.
1740 18 April. Presentment that Ings Bridge at Hugil is insufficient, inconvenient and in want of reparation. (K. Indict. Book, 1738–50). On 3 May following, an Order was issued that the high constables do with all convenient speed and at as low a rate as possible contract with some able and expert workmen for the immediate rebuilding of Ings Bridge. K. Order Book, 1738–50.
1747/8 15 January. Presentment that Gawen Bridge is in decay and too narrow for the king's subjects to pass over with their carts and carriages without great danger. (K. Indict. Book, 1738–50). Order that the high constables do view and report the condition thereof. (K. Order Book, 1738–50). And on the following 22 April they were ordered to forthwith contract for the repairing of the said bridge. Ibid.
1768 12 July. Application of the Surveyor of highways in the township of Over Staveley setting forth that the highways are greatly out of repair and that the 6 days labour is insufficient to effectually repair the same; ordered that an assessment of 6d. in the pound be levied on the several inhabitants, owners and occupiers and that in case of refusal or non payment within 10 days after demand, be levied on distress and sale of goods. K. Order Book, 1760–70.
1773 19 April. Presentment that Staveley Bridge is one of the public bridges and that the said bridge and 300 feet at each end is in great decay, etc. and ought to be repaired at the expense of the county. Order to the two high constables to view and report the condition thereof at the next sessions. K. Indictment Book, 1770–80.
1778 27 April. Presentment that there was and yet is a certain common and ancient highway leading from the market town of Milthrop to the township of Over Staveley, and that a certain part of the same beginning at a place called Pluck-a-Lame, where the same lane adjoins to a certain other place called Common Head in the township of Nether Staveley and from thence leading over Common Head and from thence over a certain other place called Stymire and from thence over Staveley Banks to a certain part of the same where the said highway is newly repaired, containing in length 600 yards and in breadth 6 feet, was and yet is very ruinous etc., and that the inhabitants of the township of Nether Staveley ought to repair the same. (Ibid.). Upon appeal the former finding was made absolute on 5 October, 1778. Ibid.
1786 24 April. Presentment that Thomas Harrison, yeo. on the 25 March and divers other days in the king's common highway leading from the township of Over Staveley to the township of Kentmere with force and arms unlawfully and injuriously did erect a certain stone wall containing in length 8 yards and in breadth 1 foot and doth continue to obstruct the same to the common nuisance of the king's subjects. (K. Indict. Book, 1780–87). At the Court held on the 13 January following Thomas Harrison was fined £4 for the obstruction. K. Order and Indict. Book, 1786–98.
1788 15 July. Presentment that Ings Bridge and 300 ft. of the road at each end of it are in great decay and ought to be repaired at the public expense of co. Westmorland. K. Order and Indictment Book, 1786–1798.
1806 17 January. Presentment that Scroggs Bridge over the river Kent, in the king's common highway leading from the market town of K. Kendal by way of Kentmere to the market town of Penrith, is in great decay, broken and ruinous, etc. and that it ought to be repaired at the expense of the county. (K. Indict. Book, 1805–1806). Order that it be repaired. K. Order and Indictment Book, 1798–1811.
1828 18 July. Presentment that a certain common bridge over the river Gawen, called Gawen Bridge, in the king's common highway between the market towns of K. Kendal and Ambleside, is narrow and in great decay, broken and ruinous and that the inhabitants of the county ought to amend the same. (K. Indict. Book, 1824–34). Ordered that the above bridge be widened and rendered more commodious and safe for the public and that Mr. Braithwaite the high constable and Bridge Master do forthwith procure proper plans for widening and repairing and proceed to the letting thereof. Ibid.
1845 4 October. Rev. Charles Butler Harris, B.A., of Queens' Coll., Camb., appointed to the incumbency of Ings vacant by the death of Rev. John Airey. K. Mercury.
1850 18 October. Ordered that the road be widened at the east end of Barley Bridge at an expense not exceeding £10. K. Order Book, 1839–76.
1855 4 April. Rev. Thomas Fenton took the oath of Allegiance, Supremacy and Abjuration and made and subscribed the Declaration in lieu of the Sacramental Test as incumbent of Ings Chapel. Ibid.
1863 The ancient church of Staveley having become ruinous, was abandoned, and a new church was built at a cost of £1909 16s. 6d., raised entirely by private donations. The first sod was cut on 28 July, 1863, in the presence of J. S. Crowther, architect of Manchester. The "rearing" took place on 17 August, 1864, and Bishop Waldegrave consecrated the building on 24 April, 1865.
1865 20 October. Report that Scroggs Bridge is an old narrow bridge built of rubble stone, and placed at right angles to the road, the parapet walls at each end are thrown down and displaced by the conveyance of timber in long lengths from the woods of Kentmere. Ordered that a plan and estimate be laid before the next Sessions. On 6 April 1866, it was resolved that the Bridge Master take steps to repair the bridge at a cost not exceeding £100. On 11 April, 1867, the Bridge Master reported that the approach to Scroggs Bridge from the Staveley side requires widening as at present there is scarcely room for wood wagons to make the turn. K. Minute Book, 1859–75.
1891 5 March. Barley Bridge crosses the Kent near the old Woollen Mills. It is built of rough local stone with a span of 24 ft. 6 in. to the western and of 21 ft. 6 ins. to the eastern arch. The roadway between the parapets being only 8 ft. 4 inches. C.C. Minutes, 1889–94.
1907 13 April. Reported that the turn in the road at Ings Church is dangerous, and it is recommended to divert the road to the north-east of the church if the land can be acquired. (C.C. Minutes, 1907–8). On 20 February, 1914, the new road was reported as finished. (C.C. Minutes, 1913–14). The estimate submitted to the Road Board when applying for a grant was £2780, and towards this the Road Board made a grant of £1390. C.C. Minutes, 1914–15.
1923 15 May. Resolved that a recess in the parapet wall of Barley Bridge be formed on the up-stream side over the cut-water at an estimated cost of £50. C.C. Minutes, 1923–4.