Records Relating To the Barony of Kendale: Volume 3. Originally published by Titus Wilson and Son, Kendal, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
1291 2 November. Commission to William de Lancaster, rector of Grasmere, to absolve the parishioners of Kendal for having paid their tithes to Alan de Easingwold, who had been excommunicated, instead of to Walter of Maidstone the new rector of a mediety. (Surtees Socy. vol. 123, p. 348). On 9 April, 1294, a commission was issued to Sir Walter de Maydenstan, rector of a mediety of the church of Kirkebyin-Kendale, and William de Kendale, rector of the chapel of Gresemer (Ibid., 351). As a member of the de Lancaster family and yet being domiciled in Kendal this may well be but a different surname for the same rector.
1349 Archbishop Zouche issued a commission for the dedication of a churchyard at Grasmere on 3 March, 1348/9. Reg. Zouche, ff. 71, 78, 79.
1362 30 December. Hugh de Middleton presented to the church of Gresemer by the abbot and convent of St. Mary's. (Reg. of Arch. of Richmond, Yorks. Arch Socy., vol. 25, p. 170). The parochial chapels of Grasmere and Windermere, nominally subordinate to Kendal, had their own rectors nominated by the lord of the moiety of the manor of Kendal to which they were appendant, for presentation by the abbot and convent who were patrons of the vicarage of the mother-church.
1378 29 July. License to Walter de Hoton, rector of the church of Grasmere to be absent. His estate in the rectory was ratified on 13 January, 1400/1. Cal. Pat. Rolls, 1399–1401, p. 373.
1433 to 1439. On 24 May, 1433, Master Peter Irford, Prof. of Theology, was presented to the church of Grasmere, by the abbot and convent, vacant by the death of Reginald Pulhom. (Reg. Arch. of Richmond). He was rector from 1433 to 1439 and died as archdeacon of Stow in 1451. (Le Neve, ii, 79). On 10 February, 1438/9, Master George Plumpton was presented by the abbot and convent at the nomination of Henry VI. (Cal. Pat. Rolls., 1436–41, p. 320) vacant by the resignation of Peter Irford. Reg. Arch. of Richmond.
1535 Rural Deanery of Kendall. Rectory of the church of Grysmer. William Hogill, incumbent.
The aforesaid Rectory is worth in:—
Valor Ecclesiasticus, vol. 5, p. 267.
1569 21 January. The Will of William Jackson, "clarke and curate of Grysmer" bears this date. Richmondshire Wills, Surtees Socy., vol. 26, p 227.
1622–1639 Among the contributions from the clergy to the king towards the recovery of the Palatinate of the Rhine, Mr. Fleming rector of Grasmere paid nothing in 1622, but in the same year Mr. Wilson vicar of Grasmere paid £1. In 1624 Henry Wilson as rector of Grasmere paid a Subsidy of £3 4s. In 1639 Henry Wilson as rector paid a contribution of 13s. 4d. in aid of the war against the Scots. Lanc. and Cheshire Record Society, vol. xii, pp. 69, 70, 81, 124.
1644 16 November. Bond of Henry Wilson of Grasmere, clerk, and two others severally in £20 to Col. James Bellingham, that the said Henry Wilson shall appear and render his body into the hands of the Provost Marshall at Kendal at the end of twenty days next after the date hereof, and in the meantime shall not travel forth of the County of Westmorland, nor hold any intelligence nor send any message by word or writing to any of that party now in arms against the parliament, but in all things demean himself well, and not endeavour in any wise to seduce or withdraw the affections of any of his parishioners or others from the service of the King and Parliament. Attested by James Bellingham, Thomas Brathwaite and Thomas Kilner. Kendal Corporation Deeds, bundle C., 4.
1686/7. 14 March. Henry Fleming writing to Sir Daniel Fleming approves of the model of the proposed parsonage house at Grasmere. Hist. MSS. Com., 12th Rep., 203.
1696 14 July. Henry Fleming, rector of Ashby and Grasmere, signed the anti-Jacobite "Association," formed throughout the Kingdom, for the protection of William III. K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724.
1708 16 April. Presentment that Dunmail Raise Bridge, a public bridge is very ruinous; order to the chief constable to view and contract for the rebuilding thereof, not exceeding £5, but if more to give an estimate. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.
1710 11 July. Edward Harryson of Langdale Head, yeo. indicted for stealing a wether sheep of Mich. Gregg's at Grasmere; ordered to be whipped and stocked. K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724.
1712 2 May. Order to the chief constable to repair White Bridge in Grasmere. And yet on 9 April, 1714, the bridge was again presented as being very dangerous; order to the high constable to view and contract. (K. Order Book, 1696–1724). His specification is fully set out in Browne MSS., vol. ii, n. 43.
1727 7 August. Robert Robinson of Nether Hartsop in Patterdale entered into a bond to pull down all and every part of the common and county bridge called and known by the name of Stock Bridge near Grasmere Townend at the entrance into Grasmere Field, a great part thereof is now fallen down and the remainder being in great decay and very dangerous, And erect and build a new firm stone bridge in the same place to consist of one arch of at least 5 yards betwixt the springers and four yards broad under the arch to be shot over with good choice stones called penn stones (fn. 1) and when keyed to be filled and covered with strong pouring or pottage mortar made of hot lime. The battlements to be 12 inches in thickness and 2 ft. 6 inches high above the pavement, etc. And to maintain, uphold and keep the same in good and sufficient repair for seven years. The contract cost being £4. Browne MSS., vol. iii, n. 195; vol. xv, 188.
1730/1 15 January. In pursuance of an Order made at this General Quarter Sessions for the high constable to view the common highways and to make a report upon the state and condition of the same, Benjamin Browne reported that the way from Whitemoss-foot to the Raise gate was a very narrow road. Browne MSS., vol. i, n. 220.
1730/1 15 January. Order to the high constable to contract for the repair or rebuilding of Grasmere Church Bridge which is ruinous. (K. Order Book, 1725–37). On 26 April following Robert Robinson agreed to pull down all and every part of the common or county bridge called and known by the name of Grasmere Church Bridge, and erect in the same place a new firm stone bridge to consist of two bends or arches, the one arch next the church to be 13 yards between the springers and the other arch next to the Townend to be 4 yards at least, the width to be 5 yards under the arches. And the arches to be shot over, and the battlements to be (as above). To finish and complete the work on or before 1 July next ensuing, and from time to time as often as shall be needful and requisite well and sufficiently repair maintain and uphold the said intended new bridge for and during the term of seven years, etc. On 2 July, 1731, Robert Robinson, free mason, gave receipt for £25 being the remainder of £40 the price for the new building of the bridge. Browne MSS., vol. i, n. 236; ii, n. 211; xv, n. 242.
1745/6 7 January. Order that the two high constables view Smiddy Bridge and report the condition thereof at the next Sessions. K. Order Book, 1738-50.
1768 11 January. Presentment that Dunmail Raise Bridge is one of the public bridges and that the said bridge and 6 feet on the north end and 6 feet at the south end is in great decay, etc., and that the same ought to be repaired at the public expense of the County. Ordered that the two high constables forthwith view the same and report upon the condition at the next Sessions. K. Indictment Book, 1760–70.
Also that Smithy Bridge in Grasmere is one of the public bridges and that the said bridge and 6 feet at either end of it is in great decay, etc. and ought to be repaired at the expense of the county. Order to the two high constables to view and report the condition at the next Sessions. (Ibid.). On the 11 April following an order was issued to the high constables to forthwith contract for the repair of these two bridges. (K. Order Book, 1760–70). On 9 January, 1769, they were both certified as in good and sufficient repair. Ibid.
1776 15 April. Presentment that White Bridge in Grasmere is one of the public bridges and in great decay and ought to be repaired at the expense of the county. Ordered that the two high constables view and report the condition thereof at the next Sessions. K. Indict. Book, 1770–80.
1790 15 January. Presentment that both the Church and Stock Bridge in Grasmere, and 300 ft. of the roads at the ends of each, are in great decay and ought to be repaired at the public expense of co. Westmorland. K. Order and Indictment Book, 1786–98.
1806 10 October. Rev. Tho. Jackson, rector of Grasmere, took the oath of allegiance. K. Order and Indictment Book, 1798–1811.
1823 14 July. Conviction of William Wilson for that he did dam up a certain old water course in a field belonging to him at Grasmere, called Gill Bank field thereby wilfully causing damage to the land of John Fletcher adjoining and known by the name of the Holme. K. Indict. Book, 1817–24.
1827 13 July. Ordered that Mr. Braithwaite do widen and repair Smithy Bridge. K. Order Book, 1824–34.
1840 6 April. Ordered that the Church Bridge be rebuilt according to the plan produced and that the Bridge Master do advertise for tenders. K. Order Book, 1839–76.
1845 3 January. Presentment that White Bridge is very ruinous, broken, dangerous and in great decay, etc., and that a certain part of the Queen's highway to wit, a certain part thereof lying and adjoining the north-west end of the said bridge of 300 feet and in breadth 5 yards and a certain other part next adjoining the south-east end of the said bridge of 300 feet and in breadth 5 yards, also is ruinous, etc. and that the inhabitants of the county ought to repair the same. (K. Indict, Book, 1839–52). Resolved that the plans for the rebuilding of White Bridge be submitted to the justices of the district and if approved by them that the Bridge be rebuilt. K. Order Book, 1839–76.
1849 19 October. Certificate that the house of Robert Hayton, situate at Score Cragg, in the parish of Grasmere is intended forthwith to be used as a place of Religious Worship by an assembly or congregation of Protestants. K. Minute Book, 1839–59.
1857 23 October. Ordered that Smithy Bridge be rebuilt and the approaches thereto widened and improved, according to the plans now produced at a cost not exceeding £100. K. Order Book, 1839–76.
1863 9 January. Rev. Edward Jefferies took the usual oaths and subscribed the Declaration on his appointment to the rectory of Grasmere. K. Minute Book, 1859–75.
1870 20 October. Report upon Stock and Church Bridges at Grasmere. 'We find that the plan prepared by Mr. Fleming involves the widening of Stock Bridge, which is now 15 feet within the parapets, to about 30 feet and the widening of the approaches to it and Church Bridge from about 20 feet to 30 feet or thereabouts, partly by purchase of adjoining land and partly by an exchange of part of the present road for a part of the Churchyard .... We greatly approve of the suggestion . . . but we consider the matter a local affair which ought to be met chiefly by the Township. On the whole we recommend that if the works are all completed by the Local Committee, the cost of widening Stock Bridge, which is estimated at £40 should be undertaken by the Court, and a further limited sum, say £25, be granted towards the approaches to both bridges. Resolved that this Court agrees to pay the sum of £65 towards the whole expenses. K. Minute Book, 1859–75.
1902 26 February. Report that Goody Bridge is awkwardly situate with regard to the approaches on either side and that the waterway is low and insufficient to take the water in times of flood. And that although it could be repaired there was a strong feeling that a new skew bridge in a better position with regard to the approaches should be built. Recommended that the County Council give a grant of £100 towards the cost on condition that the waterway is made 24 ft. 6 ins. and the roadway 18 ft. in width. C.C. Minutes, 1902–3.
1907 15 March. Resolved that the surveyor be authorized to expend the sum of £150 on the widening of Raise Bridge. He reported that the existing bridge is only 12 ft. 3 inches between the parapets, and narrow as it is, it is yet a double one consisting of an ancient packhorse bridge with a subsequent addition. To make it more convenient to the approaches he proposed to skew the additional work, i.e. by adding 6 ft. 4 ins. to the north-east corner, 3 ft. 6 ins. to the south-east corner, 5 ft. 6 ins. to the south-west corner and 2 ft. 8 ins. to the north-west corner, which will give a width of roadway between the parapets of 20 ft. 8 ins. On 13 November following the work was reported as complete. C.C. Minutes, 1907–8.