The Environs of London: Volume 2, County of Middlesex. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1795.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Hamestede, as the name of this place was formerly written, is the ancient way of spelling Homestead, a word still in use, and signifying the site of a house with its appurtenances. It is probable that it was sometimes applied by way of pre-eminence to the residence of the lord of the manor.
Beautiful situation and prospects.
Places of entertainment.
This village, which, from its beautiful situation, is one of the most noted in the neighbourhood of London, lies on the side of a hill, about four miles from St. Giles's church. The fine views of the metropolis, and the distant country, which are to be seen from the heath, and from most parts of the hill on which the village is situated, are not the only beauties of the scene; the home landscape, consisting of broken ground, divided with inclosures, and well planted with elms and other trees, is extremely picturesque. Such attractions of situation, so near to the metropolis, have always drawn together a great number of occasional visitants, for whose accommodation several places of public entertainment have been established. Of these, the Spaniard and the Flask (taverns still remaining); a tea-drinking house called New Georgia (fn. 1), where the company were diverted with various water-works; and Bellsize House (fn. 2), have been most remarkable.
Boundaries and extent.
The parish of Hampstead lies in the hundred of Ossulston, and is bounded by Hendon, Finchley, Pancras, Marybone, Paddington, and Wilsdon. It contains 2169 acres of land, of which a very small proportion is arable. The waste is 273 acres.—The soil is very various, loam, clay, bog-earth, gravel, &c. &c. The quota charged to the land-tax is 855l. 17s. 4d. which is at the rate of 10d. in the pound, rack rent.
On the side of Hampstead hill, to the east of the town, is a spring of mineral water strongly impregnated with iron, which was formerly much frequented. Adjoining to it is a long room, used when the wells were in fashion for promenades, public breakfasts, &c. now converted into a chapel of ease.
Some Roman antiquities, consisting of sepulchral urns, vases, earthen lamps, &c. were dug up in the wells' walks at Hampstead in the year 1774 (fn. 3).
On the heath are some springs belonging to the Hampstead Water Company (fn. 4).
The manor of Hampstead was given, anno 986, by King Ethelred to the church of Westminster (fn. 5), and confirmed by Edward the Confessor. The survey of Doomsday describes the manor as containing four hides; the land (says the survey) is of three carucates; three hides and a half belong to the demesnes, on which one plough only is employed. The villeins have one plough, and could employ another. There is one villein, who holds a virgate, five bordars, who hold jointly one virgate, and one slave; pannage for 100 hogs; the whole valued at 50s., in the Confessor's time at 100s. Within the limits of this manor Ranulph Peverel holds one hide in villeinage under the Abbot. The land is half a carucate, and valued at 5s. The whole was and is parcel of the church of St. Peter. After the dissolution of the monastery, the manor of Hampstead was settled upon the Bishop of Westminster, who surren dered it into the King's hands, anno 1550 (fn. 6). The King granted it the same year to Sir Thomas Wroth (fn. 7), in whose family it continued till 1620, when it was aliened by John Wroth, Esq. to Sir Baptist Hickes, afterwards Viscount Campden (fn. 8), whose eldest daughter and co-heir Julian married Edward Lord Noel, ancestor of the present Earl of Gainsborough. His son Baptist Lord Noel and Viscount Campden, having been an active loyalist, his estates were confiscated. He was suffered to compound for this manor in the year 1656, upon condition of paying a considerable sum of money, and engaging to settle 50l. per ann. on trustees, for the use of the minister of Hampstead (fn. 9). The manor continued in the Gainsborough family till the year 1707, when it appears to have been aliened to Sir William Langhorne, Bart. (fn. 10), by whom it was bequeathed to his nephew William Langhorne Games, Esq. It devolved afterwards (as entailed by Sir William Langhorne) to Margaret Maryon, widow (about 1732) (fn. 11). Her son the Rev. John Maryon succeeded to it; and it was afterwards the property of his sister Margaret Maria, wife, first of John Badger Weller, Esq. and secondly of John Jones, Esq. (fn. 12) It now belongs to Sir Thomas Spencer Wilson, Bart. in right of his wife Jane, daughter of J. B. Weller, by his wife Margaret Maria above-mentioned.
Manor of Shuttop-hill.
The Knights Templars were possessed of 100 acres of arable land, and a small quantity of meadow in this parish (fn. 13). This estate, which, after the abolition of the Templars, belonged to the Priory of St. John of Jerusalem, was granted by Henry VIII., anno 1547, to Sir Roger Cholmeley (fn. 14), Chief Baron of the Exchequer. In the year 1594 Robert North, and Alice his wife, had the King's licence to alien a moiety of the manor of Hampstead, four messuages, &c. 200 acres of arable land, 50 of meadow, 200 of pasture, 140 of wood, and 100 waste, in the parishes of Hampstead, Wilsdon, and Hendon, to Sir Arthur Atye, and Judith his wife (fn. 15). The same day Henry Slingsby had a licence to alien the other moiety to the same parties (fn. 16). Sir Arthur Atye died seised of the manor of Hampstead, alias Shuttop Hill, anno 1604, leaving Robert his son and heir (fn. 17). Some alienations of this manor to the families of St. John and Roberts, who were allied to the Atyes by marriage (fn. 18), are to be found at the Rolls (fn. 19). In the year 1663, it was aliened by dame Elinor Roberts and her daughter to Edward Nelthorpe, Esq. whose daughter married Thomas Liddell, Esq. Henry Liddell, Esq. who died in 1768, bequeathed it to his nephew Richard Middelton, Esq. of Chirk Castle in Denbighshire, who, in 1773, aliened it to John Powell, Esq. (fn. 20) It is now the property of Arthur Annesley Powell, Esq.
Site of the priory
In the reign of Henry I. Godwin, a hermit, built a hermitage at Cuneburn (now Kilbourn) in this parish, which he afterwards gave, with all the lands thereto belonging, to Emma, Christina, and Gunilda, three nuns. Herebert, Abbot of Westminster, and Osbert de Clare the Prior, at Godwin's request, not only confirmed the grant, but augmented it with a rent of 30s. and some land at Knights-bridge (fn. 21). The hermitage now became a nunnery of the order of St. Benedict. Godwin was appointed Warden during his life, the future nomination of a warden was reserved to the Abbot of Westminster; who, at first, had sole authority over the nunnery, Gilbert Bishop of London having exempted it from the jurisdiction of his church; but afterwards a composition took place, anno 1231, by virtue of which the bishops of London were to admit the warden on the abbot's presentation; they were also to exercise certain of their episcopal functions within the convent at their pleasure, to preach, hear confessions, enjoin penance, consecrate the nuns, &c. &c. (fn. 22) The convent was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. John Baptist. References to various grants relating to it will be found in the notes (fn. 23). At the dissolution its possessions were valued at 74l. 7s. 11d. per ann. (fn. 24). The site was granted, anno 1537, to the priory of St. John of Jerusalem (fn. 25), and when that monastery also was dissolved, to John Earl of Warwick (fn. 26), who immediately aliened it to Richard Taverner (fn. 27); the latter conveyed it, anno 1550, to John Lamb (fn. 28), who died seised of it anno 1567 (fn. 29). It was afterwards the property of the Josselyns, and was aliened by Henry Josselyn, anno 1584, to Sir Henry Gate (fn. 30). Robert Moore, Esq. died seised of it, anno 1597, leaving three daughters co-heirs (fn. 31). It was afterwards the property of Sir Arthur Atye (fn. 32). Since his time it has passed through the same hands as the manor of Shuttop-hill (fn. 33), till the year 1773, when it was aliened by Richard Middelton, Esq. of Chirk Castle, to Richard Marsh, Gent. (fn. 34), whose grandson, Mr. Richard Marsh, is the present proprietor.
There are now no remains of the Priory; but the site is very plainly to be seen in the Abbey-field, nearly adjoining to a teadrinking house called Kilbourn-wells. The Abbey farm consists of about 46 acres.
Manor of Belses, or Belsize.
Sir Roger le Brabazon, in the year 1317, gave an estate in Hampstead, consisting of a messuage and 57 acres of land, to Westminster-Abbey, for the purpose of founding a chantry at the altar of St. John the Evangelist, for the souls of Edmund Earl of Lancaster, Blanch his wife, and the said Sir Roger (fn. 35). This estate, which in ancient writings is called the Manor of Belses, was, in the year 1319, assigned to Reginald de Hadham the Prior, and his successors, to be held by lease under the Convent (fn. 36). The mansion on this estate, called formerly Belseys, and afterwards Belsize-house, was the residence of Sir Armigal Waad, (Clerk of the Council to Henry VIII. and Edward VI.) the first Englishman who made discoveries in America (fn. 37). He died at Belsize, June 20, 1568, and was buried in the parish-church at Hampstead (fn. 38). His son Sir William Waad was clerk of the council to Queen Elizabeth, who employed him as her ambassador to Spain. He was afterwards lieutenant of the Tower. Sir William resided also at Belsize, and lies buried with his father at Hampstead. There was formerly a monument to the memory of Sir Armigal in the church (fn. 39). Belsize was afterwards the seat of Thomas Lord Wotton, whose eldest daughter and co-heir married Henry Lord Stanhope, son of the first Earl of Chesterfield. The estate is held under the church of Westminster by the present Earl, on a lease for three lives. Both the mansionhouse (fn. 40) and park have long been in the occupation of under-tenants. In 1718, it was on lease to Charles Povey, a man of a scheming and speculative turn, who, in a pamphlet called England's Inquisition, written in that year, and dated from Belsize, inveighs bitterly against the Whig Ministry, and claims the merit (among other services rendered to his country) of having refused to let Belsize (anno 1712) to the Duke D'Aumont, the French Ambassador, who had offered him 1000l. for the use of it during his residence in this kingdom, being induced so to do by the conveniency of the chapel then newly erected upon the premises. Mr. Povey being determined, as he says, that a protestant chapel should not be turned into a mass-house, refused the offer, however advantageous, and afterwards made a tender of Belsize-house to the Prince of Wales as an occasional retirement, but it was not accepted. In the year 1720, Belsize-house was opened as a place of public entertainment (fn. 41), by one Howell, who appears to have possessed a considerable share of low humour, and to have been known by the name of the Welsh Ambassador (fn. 42). Music was provided, and various amusements for all hours of the day. It seems to have been a place of resort for persons of all ranks (fn. 43), and if the satire in a poem called "Belsize-house" (printed anno 1722) be not overcharged, it exceeded, in immorality and dissipation, any place of public entertainment which now exists. Belsize continued open as late as the year 1745, when foot-races were advertised there (fn. 44).
In the year 1410, the towns of Hampstead and Hendon were assigned to Henry Lord Scrope of Masham, for the maintenance of his servants and horses, he being then attending parliament on the King's service (fn. 45).
Hampstead has been the residence of many eminent persons, some of whom have resorted to it as a place of occasional retirement, either for pleasure or health, whilst others have made it a more permanent abode.
Sir Henry Vane.
Chief Baron Wylde.
Sir Jeffrey Palmer.
Arthur Maynwaring, Gay, and Arbuthnot.
Sir Richard Steele
Booth, Wilks, and Cibber
Sir Henry Vane, a distinguished character during the civil war, had a house at Hampstead, where he resided at the time of the Restoration (fn. 46). It is supposed to be that which is now the property of James Pilgrim, Esq. and belonged to the celebrated Dr. Butler, Bishop of Durham. The Bishop lived there many years, and ornamented the windows with a considerable quantity of stained glass, (consisting principally of subjects from scripture,) which still remains there. John Wylde, who had been Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer during the Civil War, and drew up the impeachment against the bishops, led a retired life at his house at Hampstead, and died there about nine years after the Restoration (fn. 47). Sir Jeffrey Palmer, Attorney-general, and Chief Justice of Chester, (author of a book of reports,) died there May 5, 1670 (fn. 48). Joseph Keble, a lawyer of much eminence, who published reports and other professional works, had a house at Northend in this parish (fn. 49). William Sherlock, the celebrated divine, (father of Bishop Sherlock,) died at Hampstead, anno 1707 (fn. 50). Thomas Rowe, author of Lives of illustrious Persons, and husband of Mrs. Elizabeth Rowe, died there, anno 1715 (fn. 51). Arthur Maynwaring, (author of the Medley) (fn. 52), Gay (fn. 53), and Arbuthnot (fn. 54), were all temporary inhabitants of this place, where they took lodgings on account of their health. Sir Richard Steele, in the latter part of his life, retired to a small house on Haverstock-hill, in the road to Hampstead. At this time the Kit-Cat Club held their summer meetings at the upper Flask on Hampstead-heath; and Pope, or some of his friends, used to call on Steele and take him to the place of rendezvous (fn. 55). Booth, Wilks, and Cibber had a summer retirement on the Heath, where they used to concert plans for the public entertainment during the ensuing dramatic season. Dr. Mark Akenside resided at Hampstead several years in the practice of his profession.
On the side of the hill is an ancient building called the Chicken-house, in a window of which are small portraits in stained glass of James I. and the Duke of Buckingham. Tradition says that it was a hunting seat of James II.
Sir R. P. Arden, Master of the Rolls, has a beautiful villa near the church; Lord Loughborough, the present chancellor, has a villa also in the parish.
The old church at Hampstead (fn. 56) was pulled down in the month of April 1745; the present church, which is dedicated to St. John, was consecrated by Dr. John Gilbert, (then Bishop of Llandaff,) Oct. 8, 1747. It is a brick structure consisting of a nave and two aisles; the communion table is at the west end. At the east end is a small square tower, on which is a low spire.
The only monument in the church is that of Anthony Askew, M. D. F. R. S. (fn. 57), who died Feb. 28, 1774, aged 52. It stands at the west end. In the north aisle is a flat stone inscribed to the memory of John Rixton, Gent. who died anno 1658. On the outside wall of the belsry is the monument of William Taylor, Esq. Page of the Bed-chamber to George I. and II. Ob. 1747.
Tombs in the church-yard.
In the church-yard are the tombs of Abigail, wife of John Whorwood, Esq. of Stourton-castle, and daughter of Sir William Waade, Knt. (date worn); Daniel Bedingfield, Gent. of Gray's-Inn, Clerk of the Parliaments (1637); Edward Jones, an eminent printer (fn. 58) (1700); Mr. James Astry of Eaton Sooton in the county of Bedford (1700); Thomas Weedon, merchant (1714); Lady Elizabeth, wife of Richard Norton, Esq. and daughter of Edward Earl of Gainsborough (1715); Mr. John Steedman (1716); Robert Delgardno, Gent. (1717); William Hart, citizen of London (1717); John Hart (1723); Mr. Jerome Churchy (1717); William Churchy, Esq. of Henstridge in the county of Somerset (1742); Mary Churchy, daughter of John Bourchier, Esq. (1760); William Churchy, Esq. (1772); Mrs. Mary Swinburn (1718); Mr. John Vincent (1719); John Vincent (1755); Richard Vincent, Esq. of the Middle Temple (1776); Robert Vincent, Esq. (1786); Sarah, daughter of John Vincent, and wife of Lewis Schuman (1767); Lewis Schuman, merchant (1769); Mr. Nicholas Jonquett Lepine (1721); Mr. Henry Dottin (1721); James Comber, Esq. (1721); Dame Julia, relict of Sir William Blackett, Bart. and afterwards wife of Sir William Thomson, Knt. Recorder of London (1722); William Popple, Esq. (1722); William Popple, Esq. Governor of Bermudas (1764); Mr. Edward Fincham (1722); John Sandford, citizen of London (1722); Thomas Ubank, Gent. (1723); Ralph Ord, Esq. (1724); Henry Ord, Esq. (1756); Henry Ord Jun. Esq. (1757); James Ord, Esq. (1771); Mr. William Blanford (1724); Dorothy, wife of Christopher Digges, Gent. (1725); Capt. John Merry, Deputy-governor of the Hudson's Bay Company (1728); John Merry, Esq. (1765); Robert Merry, Esq. (1774); Mr. David Middleton (1729); Benjamin Bradley, merchant (1731); ——Butler, Esq. (1734); Mrs. Mary Levett (1734); William Brooke, Esq. (1734); Thomas Fish, Esq. (1736); Richard Houlditch, Esq. (1736); Richard Houlditch, Esq. (1759); Mary, daughter of Richard Houlditch, and wife of William Jarman (1764); Mr. Wm. Jarman (1768); Mr. Thomas Compere (1739); Mr. Isaac Lowndes, apothecary (1739); William Yerbury, Esq. (1739); Robert Warren, D. D. Rector of Hampstead and Stratford-Bow (1740); Dorothy his widow (1742); Rev. Langhorne Warren his son (1762); John Lloyd, Esq. Guidon-Major of the third troop of horse-guards (1740); Mr. Pinckney (1743); James Rainge, Gent. aged 103 (1743); Rev. George Watts, Curate of Hampstead 49 years (1746); Dorothy, wife of John Underwood, Esq. and daughter of —— Lucas, (1746); Edward Atkinson, Gent. of Lincolnshire (1748); Tabitha his daughter, wife of Thomas Hutchinson, Esq (1771); Sarah, wife of Whichcote Turner, Esq. (1749); Robert Carey, Esq. (1751); Robert Carey, Esq. (1777); Sophia, daughter of Mr. George Willes, uncle of the Lord Chief Justice (1751); Mr. Jonathan Pennington (1753); Thomas Lloyd, Esq. (1753); John Whishaw, Esq. (1753); Roger Dunster Sumpter, Esq. (1754); Alexander Dunlop, surgeon (1754); Mr. Charles Dunlop (1778); Charles Smyth, merchant (1755); John Turner, Esq. (1755); Elizabeth his widow (1772); Mr. Joshua Evans (1757); Dr. Peter Henry (1762); John Oughterlony, merchant (1762); James Pitt [?], Esq. (1763); Elizabeth, widow of Samuel Dicker of Walton, Esq. (1763); Mr. Lewis Combrune (fn. 59), merchant (1764); Mr. James Mac Ardell (1765); William Godfrey, Esq. (1766); Mrs. Mary Moncrieff (1766); Capt. John Jefferson (1767); Godfrey Schreve, Esq. (1767); Robert Pringle, Esq. barrister at law (1768); Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Jones, Gent. of South Cerney in the county of Gloucester, daughter of Richard Coomes (1768); Mr. John Gretton (1768); Thomas Baddison, Esq. (1770); Nathaniel Booth Lord Delamere (fn. 60) (1770); Margaret Lady Delamere (1773); Hon. Elizabeth Booth (1765) (fn. 61); Henry Booth, an infant son (1748); Nathaniel Booth, aged 12 (1757); Charles Douglas, Esq. brother of Sir John Douglas, Bart. (1770); Lieutenant James Frith (1771); Lieutenant John Frith (fn. 62) (1788); John Guide, Esq. (1771); Hugh Forbes, Esq. (1772); Marck Cade, surgeon (1773); Henry Barnes, Esq. (1773); John Schrimshire, Esq. (1774); Thomas Gardnor, Esq. aged 91 (1775); Jonathan Perrie, Gent. (1775); Robert Davenport, Esq. Russian merchant (1776); Mau rice Griffith, Esq. (1777); Thomas Lane, Esq. (1779); Taverner Wallis, Esq. (1779); Joseph Debausre (1779); Stephen Guion, Esq. (1779); Jannetta de Conti, (daughter of Cosimo Count de Conti, a noble Tuscan, by Jannetta only daughter of Robert White, Esq. of the family of Lord Rollo, by Jane Mackenzie of the families of Ross and Seaforth, born at Tripoli when her father was consul there,) ob. (1780); Mr. Thomas Allport, surgeon (1780); John Nowell, Esq. (1780); Gerrard Havard, Esq. (1781); Mr. John Hanson (1782); Thomas Hill (1782); Vincent Matthias, Esq. (1782); Mrs. Davy, relict of Serjeant Davy (1783); John Hoyland of Sheffield, Gent. (1783); Mrs. Jane Hemet, (an actress known by the name of Lessingham, belonging to Covent-garden theatre (1783); George Yeates, Esq. (1784); Anne Catherine, wife of Mr. Henry Law, merchant, and daughter of Thomas Sheppard, Esq. (1785); John Hawys, Esq. (1786); John Pheadrea Chubb, Esq. (1786); Catherine Maria, wife of —— Gonetti of Portland Place (1787); Thomas Hayes, surgeon (1787); Jacob Gossett, Esq. (1788); Robert Moodie, practitioner of physic at Nassau in the Isle of Providence, and surgeon to the Prince of Wales's American regiment (1789); Mary, wife of Valentine Green, Esq. (1789); John Wingfield, Esq. (1789); Harriot, wife of Thomas Rumsey, Esq. (1789); Sophia, relict of John Hinde, Esq. (1790); Mr. Kenneth Mackenzie, son of Kenneth Mackenzie, Esq. (1790); William Jeffreys, surgeon (1790); Andrew Johnstone, Esq. (1791); Elizabeth Morrill his sister (1782); Nathaniel Turner, Esq. of Stoke-Hall in the County of Suffolk (1791); George Vaughan, Esq. (1791); Rev. Francis Humphreys, A.M. Curate of Hampstead for 30 years (1792); Philadelphia, wife of Tysoe Samuel Hancock, Esq. (1792); and Richard Ambrose, Esq. (1794).
A piece of ground was added to the church-yard in 1738.
The church of Hampstead was considered as a chapel of ease to Hendon till the year 1477, when it became appropriated to the Abbot and convent of Westminster (fn. 63), who had before been the patrons. From this time it became a donative or perpetual curacy, the patronage of which has always been annexed to the manor (fn. 64).
When Lord Campden compounded for his estates during the interregnum, he entered into an agreement to allow John Sprint, then curate of Hampstead, 50l. per ann. out of the great tithes (fn. 65). The curacy was valued at 10l. per ann. in the reign of Edw. VI. as appears by the Chantry Roll (fn. 66).
Robert Warren, Curate of Hampstead, who died in 1740, published fifty-two practical discourses in 3 vols. 8vo; several single sermons, and some pamphlets in answer to Bishop Hoadly's Treatise on the True Nature of the Sacrament.
The present Curate is the Rev. Erasmus Warren, A. M. presented in the year 1762.
Mr. William Pierce, anno 1771, founded a Friday Evening Lecture, which he endowed with 24l. per annum, to be held by the resident curate. He left 5l. per ann. also to the parish clerk, 2l. for candles, 1l. for the bell-ringer, and 3l. to be distributed in bibles and prayer-books; the whole being the interest of 1700l. 3 per cent. consol. This lecture is at present supplied alternately by the two resident curates, the Rev. Charles Grant, A. M. and the Rev. Samuel White, A. M.
There is a meeting-house in this parish for the Presbyterian Dissenters, and another for the people called Methodists.
The earliest date of the parish register is 1560.
|Average of Baptisms.||Average of Burials.|
|1580—9||13 3/10||6 1/10|
|1730—9||68 3/10||124 7/10|
When Hampstead was granted to Westminster Abbey by King Ethelred, anno 986, it contained only five cottages, (mansiunculæ) (fn. 67).
Comparative state of population.
It appears by the above tables, that the population of this place has increased within the last two centuries in a proportion of about seven to one. The present number of houses is 686.
The number of burials in 1603 was seven only, in 1625, 23; it is to be presumed therefore that this village escaped the dreadful calamity of the plague which was so fatal in those years. It was not so fortunate in 1665, when 214 burials are recorded, being more than seven times the average number of that period.
Extracts from the Register.
Sir Arthur Atey.
"Charles Athey, son of Arthur Athey, baptized Jan. 23, 1598–9." Sir Arthur Atey, who resided at Kilbourn Priory, was Principal of Alban Hall, and Orator of the University of Oxford. He was secretary to the unfortunate Earl of Essex, in whose ruin he was very near being involved, and was obliged for a time to conceal himself. He was knighted on the accession of James I. and dying anno 1604, was buried, as Wood says, at Harrow (fn. 68).
"Frances Audle, daughter of the Lord Audle, Earle of Castlehaven, baptized July 3, 1617." This daughter is not mentioned in the peerages.
"Oliver Pleydell, son of Sir Charles Pleydell, (by Jane his wife,) baptized July 3, 1621; John, July 11, 1622; Gabriel, Sept. 24, 1623; Giles, Sept. 21, 1625; Lucy, Jan. 6, 1625–6 (buried Jan. 12); Allen, July 19, 1627 (buried June 7, 1631); Charles, Jan. 20, 1628–9; Edward, buried June 1, 1629; Lucy, baptized Feb. 22, 1629–30; (buried Sept. 13, 1633)." Sir Charles Pleydell was high sheriff for the county of Wilts, anno 1620, in which year he was knighted. His second wife was Jane, daughter of Sir John St. John of Lydiard Tregoze, and relict of Robert Atey, Esq. of Kilbourn. Oliver Pleydell here mentioned, was ancestor of Edmund Morton Pleydell, Esq. of Dorsetshire. John was knighted, and resided at Brinkworth in Wiltshire. Charles was settled at Minety, in Glocestershire, and lies buried there. Gabriel and Giles died young (fn. 69).
"Sr Lewis Morgan, Knt. buried July 3, 1635."
Family of West, Lord Delaware.
"Charles, son of Charles Lord Delaware, and Anne his wife, baptized June 16, 1645." He died before his father, without issue; Horatio, baptized Oct. 25, 1646, died in Barbadoes unmarried; Sophia, baptized April 6, 1661, died unmarried.
"Sr Francis Faw, and Mrs. Hannah Rushworth, married May 4, 1664."
"Durham, son of Sr Gilbert Gerard, buried May 27, 1664."
"Ursula, wife of Sr Robert Brett from Whit-Stanton near Chard in Somersetshire, buried Mar. 31, 1671."
"Charles, son of Sr William Jones and Elizabeth his wife, baptized Sept. 24, 1671, buried Oct. 2, 1679; Thomas, baptized June 22, 1672, buried July 25, 1673."
"Tyke Marrow, servant to Judge Dolben, buried May 26, 1679; Mrs. Frances Harrington from Sr William Dolben's, Oct. 13, 1685." It appears from these entries, that Judge Dolben resided several years at Hampstead.
Sir Thomas Estcourt.
"Thomas, son of Sr Thomas Estcourt and Mary his wife, was born 26 Jan. and baptized Feb. 8, 1680." Sir Thomas Estcourt was a master in Chancery.
"Mr. Evan Tyler (Prince Tyler so called) a printer, was buried Dec. 15, 1682."
Family of Butler, Earl of Carrick.
"The Lady Eleanor Butler, Viscountess of Vicary Ikerrin, buried Sept. 27, 1687." Wife of James Butler the third Viscount Ikerine, and daughter of Col. Daniel Redman. "James Butler, Lord Vicary Ikerrin in Ireland, buried Oct. 26, 1688. Thomas Butler, Lord Ikerrin in Ireland, buried Mar. 8, 1719–20." Thomas was the sixth Viscount, being youngest son of James here mentioned. He succeeded his nephew James, a minor, anno 1712. Thomas Lord Ikerine was a clergyman, and chaplain-general to the army in Flanders. His son Somerset Hamilton was created Earl of Carrick, and was father to the present Earl (fn. 70).
"Mr. Thomas Javon, from London, buried Dec. 24, 1688." Thomas Jevon was an actor and dancing-master; in both of which professions he attained great eminence, especially in the former. His general cast was that of low comedy. He died in the 36th year of his age, and was buried in the church-yard at this place, where there was formerly a stone with an inscription to his memory, but it has either been removed or is become illegible. Jevon published a dramatic piece called the Devil of a Wife, which has been revived under a variety of forms, and is the ground-work of the popular farce called The Devil to Pay, or the Wives Metamorphosed (fn. 71). It seems probable that Jevon had an occasional residence at West-End in this parish. Thomas Jevon, an infant from that hamlet, was buried Sept. 13, 1684.
"The Hon. Charles Saunderson, buried from Mr. Hoare's, May 20, 1694." Saunderson was the family name of Lord Viscount Castleton of Ireland, which title became extinct in 1724.
"Sr Edwin Stede, Knight, of Stede-Hall in Kent, buried Aug. 2, 1695."
"Gamaliel Lloyd, servant to the Lord Berkley, buried July 9, 1699."
"Danl Hardy, servant to the Earl of Lindsey, buried May 5, 1703."
"John Pate, belonging to the playhouse, buried Jan. 14, 1703–4."
"Rachael Lucy (fn. 72), daughter of Sr William Ingolsby, buried Aug. 12, 1705."
"Mary, daughter of Richard Ld Viscount Fitzwilliam, (a Roman Catholic,) was baptized Sep. 8, 1707." She was appointed maid of honour to the Princess of Wales in 1726. In 1733 she married Henry Earl of Pembroke; and 2dly, in 1751, North Ludlow Bernard, Esq. (fn. 73)
"Anne, daughter of Sr Winwood and Lady Elizabeth Mowet, baptized July 7, 1715."
Christopher and William Bullock.
"Christopher Bullock, buried April 8, 1722." A rising actor, and joint-manager of the theatre in Lincoln's-Inn-Fields. He was son of Mr. William Bullock, an eminent comedian, who had a house at North End in this parish. A newspaper of the time, speaking of his death, says, that he was the only person likely to succeed Cibber in the Fop's character (fn. 74). His corpse was attended from North-End to the place of interment by a great number of gentlemen from both the theatres. Bullock wrote several dramatic pieces, which are enumerated in the Biographia Dramatica. His wife, who was a natural daughter of Wilks the celebrated comedian, (by Mrs. Rogers,) survived him many years. She was upon the stage, and supported some principal characters. In the advertisement for her benefit, April 8, 1735, it was announced, that the character of Timothy Peascod would be performed by Mr. Daniel French of Hampstead (fn. 75). Margaret Bullock was buried at Hampstead, Nov. 15, 1729. Hildebrand Bullock, Oct. 21, 1733. The name of Mr. H. Bullock frequently occurs in play-bills previously to this time.
"Sr William Blackett of Wallington in the county of Northumberland, and the Hon. Lady Barbara Villiers of Hampstead, were married Sep. 20, 1725." Lady Barbara was daughter of William Earl of Jersey.
"Dr. George Sewell, buried Feb. 12, 1725–6." Dr. Sewell was a physician, and followed his profession at Hampstead with con siderable success, till three other gentlemen of the faculty settled there also, which so far diminished his profits, that he is supposed to have died in great poverty. His funeral was uncommonly mean, and not attended by a single friend. Dr. Sewell contributed several papers to the supplemental volumes of the Spectator and Tatler, was concerned in a translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses, and was author of Sir Walter Ralegh, a tragedy of much merit. He left some fragments of another called Richard the First (fn. 76).
"Marriages.—The Honble Nathaniel Booth, Esq. of Hampstead, to Margaret Jones, spinster, of the parish of St. Paul, Covent-Garden, by the Revd Dr Hales of Teddington, April 26, 1743." Nathaniel Booth was grandson of the first Lord Delamere, which title he afterwards inherited. It became extinct at his death (fn. 77).
Earl and Countess of Buchan.
"The Rt Honble David Erskine Earl of Buchan, buried Oct. 17, 1745; from London." The fourth earl of that family, and grandfather of the present earl. "The Rt Honble Isabella Countess of Buchan, buried May 21, 1763." Daughter of Sir William Blackett, Bart. and second wife of the Earl of Buchan. The Scotch Peerage calls her Elizabeth.
"Mr. Joseph Dorman was buried Feb. 13, 1754, N. S." Author of a dramatic entertainment called Sir Roger de Coverley.
"James Pitt, Esq. from London, buried Jan. 23, 1763." Mr. Pitt, who died at his house in Essex-street at the age of 84, had formerly been editor of one of the periodical papers in favour of Sir Robert Walpole, and is supposed to be the person alluded to in the Dunciad under the name of Mother Osborne (fn. 78). Some letters of Mr. Pitt's are printed in Dr. Howard's Collection.
"William Popple, from London, buried Feby 13, 1764." Mr. Popple, who was Governor of Bermudas from the year 1745 till his death, wrote two comedies, called "The Lady's Revenge," and "The Double Deceit." He translated Horace's Art of Poetry, was connected with Aaron Hill in a periodical paper called The Prompter, contributed to other similar publications, and wrote several poems, which are printed in a miscellaneous collection published by Richard Savage in 1726 (fn. 79).
James Mac Ardell.
"James Mac Ardell, buried June 5, 1765." A celebrated engraver in mezzotinto. He lies buried in the church-yard, where is a short inscription to his memory, by which we learn that he was a native of Ireland, and that he died in his 37th year.
"Charles Spooner, from London, buried Dec. 6, 1767." An eminent engraver also in mezzotinto, who had been a fellow-pupil with Mac Ardell, and desired to be buried near him in Hampstead church-yard.
"Henry Barnes, buried Jan. 20, 1773." Secondary of the Court of Common Pleas. He published Notes of Cases of Practice, in two volumes.
Sir William Duncan.
"Sir Willian Duncan, buried Jan. 14, 1775." One of his Majesty's physicians; he was created a baronet in 1764, the year preceding which he married Lady Mary, daughter of Sackville Earl of Thanet.
Instances of longevity.
The following instances of longevity occur in the parish register: Richard Smith of West-End, aged 100 years, buried Dec. 5, 1684; Elizabeth Kidd of Hampstead, aged 105 years, buried July 24, 1685; Margaret Smith of Hampstead, aged near 100 years, buried March 12, 1687–8; Eleanor Winbush, buried August 1, 1744, aged 104; Susanna Horder, aged 107 years, who died at West-End, was buried March 13, 1754, N. S." Jane Staples, who was buried Mar. 9, 1787, is said to have been 106 years of age (fn. 80). I find mention also of the following persons, who are said to have died in Hampstead at very advanced ages, but their names do not occur in the register:—Mrs. Harrison, aged 104, Aug. 1733; George Best, aged 96, Oct. 10, 1740; Mrs. Robson, aged 96, July 20, 1764; Benjamin Hemmings, aged 94, July 29, 1764; Mrs. Elizabeth Rayson, aged 90, Aug. 15, 1764; Jonathan Lacey, aged 98, May 1768; George Eccleston, aged 103, Sept. 23, 1768; John Brighten, Esq. aged 97, Mar. 30, 1771; and Mrs. Foa, aged 110, Dec. 1781.
Benefactions, Education, and apprenticing of children.
John Stock, Esq. in the year 1781, gave the sum of 1000l. (which, with the dividends that had accrued, and some donations from the trustees, purchased 2000l. three per cents.) for the purpose of clothing, educating, and putting out apprentices, six fatherless boys, and four girls, the former to receive 5l. as an apprenticefee, the latter 2l. Eight boys and six girls now receive the benefits of this charity.
A Sunday-school was established in this parish about the year 1790, in which are 80 children. The encouragement which the institution has met with, has enabled the subscribers to set up a daily-school, and school of industry, in which are 30 boys and 34 girls, clothed by their own earnings.
Elizabeth, dowager Viscountess Campden, anno 1643, left the sum of 200l. to purchase lands; half the produce to be appropriated to the apprenticing children, the other half to be distributed among the poor of the parish. With this money was purchased an estate at Child's-hill, in Hendon, now let at 59l. per ann.
The Hon. Susanna Noel, and her son Baptist, Earl of Gainsborough, a minor, in the year 1698, gave the site of Hampsteadwells, with certain houses adjoining, and six acres of the Heath, the whole producing now 85l. per ann. for the use of the parish. The income arising from this charity is appropriated by the trustees to the apprenticing of poor children, or clothing them for service, and occasionally relieving aged and infirm parishioners not receiving alms.
Halfpenny-loaves on Good Friday.
This parish enjoys a singular benefaction of 2l. per ann. given for the purpose of distributing halfpenny loaves among all the inhabitants of Hampstead, both rich and poor, young and old, on Good-Friday morning. It arises from the sum of 40l. given for that purpose about the year 1643, by an unknown benefactress, and laid out, together with Lady Campden's donation, in the purchase of lands at Child's-hill.
Thomas Charles, anno 1671, gave an annual rent-charge of 1l. 4s. to be distributed in bread to the poor; Thomas Cleave, anno 1635, a rent-charge of 2l. 16s. for the same purpose. John Rixton, Esq. in 1657, gave a rent-charge of 5l. per ann., of which 2l. 12s. was for bread, 1l. for a sermon, 1l. for repairing the north-west end of the church, and 8s. for cleaning his tomb. The parish now receives 7l. 10s. for this benefaction out of certain houses in Hampstead. Mrs. Anne Mallory, anno 1791, gave the sum of 100l. for bread, which was laid out in the purchase of 117l. 2s. 7d. 3 per cent. consol.
Mrs. Elizabeth Shooter gave some lands at Langley in Buckinghamshire, which let at 5l. per ann. for two poor widows, to be nominated by the minister.
For the poor.
John Robinson, Bishop of London, happening to die at Hampstead, anno 1723, this place became entitled to the sum of 100l. which he had bequeathed to the poor of the parish in which he should be resident at the time of his decease. Henry Waite, who died in 1723, left the sum of 200l., one half of which was to be appropriated towards the rebuilding of Hampstead church, whenever that work should take place (the interest, in the mean time, to be given to the poor); and the interest of the other half to be annually distributed among the poor on the day of his burial. The donor's effects proving insufficient to pay his legacies, only 109l. 3s. 8d. was received for both bequests; for a moiety of which the parish enjoys 4l. per cent. interest, charged on the pews. Bishop Robinson's legacy also having been lent to the trustees for rebuilding the church, is paid in the form of a rentcharge of 4l. per ann. upon the pews. Francis Marshall, Esq. in 1772, gave 100l. 3 per cent. consol. to be distributed among poor housekeepers on Easter-day. Mrs. Rosamond Marshall, in 1785, gave also 100l. 3 per cent. for the same purpose.