The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 131] In the parish of St. Margaret Lothbery
734. [1222–48] Grant by Nigel de Rouen (Rotomag') to Richard prior and convent, for the salvation of his soul etc., of 1 mark p.a. of quit rent from land in the parish of St. Margaret; abutments, the land of Laurence Pottar on the west and the land of Walter de Essex on the east; to hold in free alms; the prior and convent to be allowed to distrain and, if necessary, to implead the tenants by gavelet; sealed; witnesses, 'lord' James, 'lord' Gilbert son of Fulk the alderman.
C.A.D., iv, A 10392.
735. [List of those paying quit rent]: Nigel de Rouen; William de Rouen[See also after 736].
736. [1222–30] Grant by Walter son of Simon to Richard prior and convent of 5d. p.a. of quit rent which William de Rouen was accustomed to pay the grantor from a messuage which is in the fee of the canons; the canons gave the grantor 5s. sterling; witnesses, James the alderman, Walter de Essex.
C.A.D., iv, A 10391.
735 contd. Paying 13s. 9d.; William de Rouen; John Westwode; John de Essex, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; William Yfford, 6 Ed. III; William de Yford, 30 Ed. III; John Organ, 48 Ed. III; the rector of the church (fn. 1) itself, 8 Ric. II; Edmund Hoddisdon, 6 Hy. IV as appears by the following release.
737.  Release by Robert prior and convent to Edmund Hoddisdon of all arrears of rent if he builds upon the land; recites the gift of Nigel of Rouen before the statute of mortmain and describes the holding; if Edmund Hoddisdon, citizen and mercer, builds within ten years, he is relieved of all arrears and the rent for him and his heirs is reduced to 8s. 5d. p.a. for forty years from the making of these presents; the prior and convent may distrain and take naam for this 8s. 5d.; at the end of forty years this concession will terminate and the tenants shall pay 13s. 9d. p.a.; Edmund Hoddisdon to pay 10 marks sterling at Christmas next following the date of this agreement as is contained in the aforesaid bond (scriptum obligatorium) but if he builds within ten years this obligation [f. 131v] shall not be enforced (sit ullius (fn. 2) valoris); dated 30 Sep. 1404.
C.A.D., iv, A 10390.
738. Total of this parish 13s. 9d.