The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
[f. 138] In the parishes of St. Augustine Papiensis and St. Mary Ax.
789. Note: This church [St. Augustine Papey] is of the collation of Holy Trinity, pertaining to that soke which Queen Matilda granted to the foundation of this church and it was accustomed to pay 12d. by way of a pension at Michaelmas as appears in ancient books with the letters 'B' and 'C'.
790. [1170–97] Grant of Stephen prior and convent to William Palmer son of Osmund, vintner, of land which lies in front of St. Augustine which Peter son of Le(u)egarius held immediately before him; rent 2s. p.a.; swore fealty; the tenement has a frontage along the wall of the City of 31 ells and in depth towards the land of Al(u)ena Mitegolde 23 ells; gersuma 1 bezant and to the convent one London sextary of wine; witnesses, Osbert the chaplain of St. Augustine, Alan the deacon.
791. [List of those paying rent]: William Palmer; Ricarius; Matilda Herberti after whose death the land came into the hands of Holy Trinity [See also after 794] and was granted to Richard Hadestok
792. [1252–3] Grant by John prior and convent to Richard de Hadestok, chaplain, son of William, of a certain piece of land in the parish of St. Augustine; abutments, the land of the nuns of St. Helen and the land that was of Richard Barun and which abuts on the king's street towards London Wall; rent 2s. p.a.; if the grantee wishes to sell, the canons to have the preference by a bezant of 2s.; swore fealty; chirograph sealed; witnesses, John de Tholusan, mayor, Thomas de Wynburne, William de Duream, sheriffs.
C.A.D., ii, A 1974.
793. Total of this parish 2s.