The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
St Dunstan in the East (second part)
1051. [f. 203v] (fn. 1) [1197–1212] Grant by Peter prior and convent to Roger de Blackesappilton of land with a stone house and wharf on the Thames which was formerly held by Master James in the parish of St. Dunstan of the soke of the archbishop of Canterbury; rent 1 mark p.a.; swore fealty paying the rent without fraud or miskenning; if the grantee wishes to pledge or sell the fee, the canons shall have the first claim; the land is 29 ells in length from the upper part to the street along (versus) the Thames and in width from the upper and inner part 11½ ells and from the outer part next to the public street 13 ells, the wharf also has 13 ells in width; gersuma 8 marks in silver and 3s. for pittances; witnesses, Ralph the priest of St. Mary de Hell, John de Ballio, priest, Ralph the priest of St. Dionis, Henry mayor of London, Peter his son.
1052. [List of those paying rent]: Roger Blakesappilton; Roger the Weaver (Telarius); Reginald de Wudeham; Robert de Walflet; Walter Auberkyn [See also after 1053] as appears by the following.
1053. [? 1345–6] Recognisance of Walter Auberkyn that he owes a rent of 13s. 4d. p.a. to the prior and convent of Holy Trinity from his house which R. de Blakesappilton once held in the parish of St. Dunstan; abutments, the lane which leads to the messuage (managium) of Matilda de Sandwich on the west and the tenement of Hamon de Paris on the east, and 19 Ed. III. (fn. 2)
1052 contd. [f. 204] (fn. 3) John Maundevill, 30 Ed. III; John Malewayne, 30 Ed. III as appears by an inquisition (fn. 4) taken at the time of John Pechche, mayor of London, 36 Ed. III in which the jurors stated that Malewayne died seised of a tenement worth, if let (si esset locatus), 10 marks p.a. on which he paid 13s. 4d. p.a. to Holy Trinity; Helmingus Leget, 39 Ed. III; William Walworth, 10 Ric. II; William Ascham.
1054. [1170–97] Grant by Stephen prior and convent to Hugh (de) Polestede of land next the Thames which William the priest (presbiter) held of them for William sold the fee, without their assent, to Hugh, for 19 marks; 2s. given to the prior for recognition (de recognicione) and a London sextary of wine to the convent; swore fealty; rent 2s. p.a.; to hold as long as the rent is paid; witnesses, Roger de Ginges, brothers Henry and Robert.
C.A.D., iv, A 7292.
1055. [List of those paying rent]: H. Polested; Richard Blundus; Edmund the Baker; Adam Rokesle, 1 Ed. II who granted the tenement to Peter de Blakeney as appears in his will (fn. 5) enrolled 5 Ed. II; Godwin Turk who granted it to Robert Wodhous as in a charter (fn. 6) enrolled 19 Ed. II, which Robert Wodhous granted it to Thomas Broun as in a charter (fn. 7) enrolled 11 Ed. III; his widow, 31 Ed. III as appears by the Second Acquittance of divers parishes; (fn. 8) the abbot of Evesham.
1056. Grant by Peter son of Roger son of William to Richard prior and convent of 4s. p.a. of quit rent; 2s. from land with houses and a wharf which Benet Stokfysch holds; abutments, the land of Robert Panifader on the west and the land of John de St. Dunstan on the east and extending from the king's street to the Thames; and 2s. from land with houses which William de Lamee holds of the grantor; abutments, land of Nicholas Bat [f.f 204fv] on the west and land of John de St. Dunstan on the east in the parish of St. Dunstan; to hold to the canons in free alms, the grantees to pay to the king's socage on Palm Sunday 3½d., and rent to the grantor and his heirs ½d. p.a.; the canons gave 40s. to further the grantor's business affairs (ad negocia mea expedienda); Fri. 11 Mar. 1250; witnesses, Roger son of Roger, mayor, John Tulsan, Ralph Hardel, sheriffs.
1057. [List of those paying quit rent]: Benet Stoffissh or Trenchemer paid 2s. and he granted the tenement to John of Canterbury, 2 Ed. I which tenement is situated between that of the late William le Monek on the west and that of the late Pentecostes Ferun on the east and extends from the king's street on the north to the Thames on the south; afterwards Clemence widow of the aforesaid William released to John of Canterbury all her right in the tenement as in a charter (fn. 9) enrolled 6 Ed. I; Margaret wife of John paid 19 Ed. II as appears in the poundage; Henry Comartin, 1 Ed. III; William Box, 6 Ed. III; Andrew Turk, 31 Ed. III; Gocelin Clyf, 46 Ed. III; Henry Hyrton, 8 Ric. II; Hugh Battisford: William Lamheth paid 2s.; Richard Bonaventure or Hakborne who granted the tenement to William de Combe as in a charter enrolled 8 Ed. I; William Boteler; Thomas Cros, 1 and 5 Ed. II; John of Oxford, (fn. 10) 3 Ed. III; Henry Statunton, 32 Ed. III; Adam de Bury.
1058. [f. 205] [1170–97] Grant by Stephen prior and convent to James the Chaplain of that unbuilt land which the house had as a gift of the lady Ro[e]is, wife of Robert Mantel, in Manninelane in the parish of St. Dunstan; rent 5s. 6d. p.a.; swore fealty; gersuma 2s.; witnesses, Robert the chaplain, Master Robert the chaplain of St. Olave, John de St. Michael, John the chaplain of St. Clement, Roger the chaplain of St. Edmund.
1059. [List of those paying rent]: James the chaplain, from the 5s. 6d. he paid 18d. p.a. to the hospital of St. Katherine which Ralph prior and convent granted to the hospital, also James paid another 18d. out of the rent which prior Peter granted to the hospital, as appears in a chirograph made between the hospital and Holy Trinity, and so James paid the hospital 3s. and Holy Trinity 2s. 6d. and after James there paid 2s. 6d. p.a.; his widow; Walter the Goldsmith; Ralph the priest (presbiter); Stephen Casuen; John Casuen, then the tenement was divided for Michael Unctor paid 12d., Edmund Combe paid 12d. and John Boys 6d.: after Michael Unctor; William de Wynton; Reginald de Conductu, 19 Ed. II: after Edmund Combe; Hugh Hereford; Reginald de Conductu: after John Boys; Reginald de Conductu who paid the whole sum, 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; John fitzSymond; Thomas Perle, 34 Ed. III paid 4s. p.a. for the two tenements abovesaid as appears in a plea held in the Husting Mon. 25 Jan. 1360.
1060. [1271–2] Grant by William Crouere (de la Crouere), citizen, of 8s. p.a. of quit rent to Eustace prior and convent in a street by the Tower against (contra) Wyvelastone from a certain house with an oven (cum furno) and shops adjacent between the tenement with tenter-grounds formerly held by Matthew Bokerel on one side and the tenement of Roger de Graschirch on the other; to hold in free alms; [f. 205v] if by reason of fire or lack of maintenance, the canons cannot collect this rent then they may distrain on all William's rents in the City; the canons gave 72s. to further the grantor's business affairs; sealed; witnesses, Walter Hervy, mayor, Richard de Parys, John de Buttele, sheriffs.
1061. [1197–1212] Grant of Peter prior and convent to Ralph the Usurer (Fenarius) and Goda his wife of land in the parish of St. Dunstan which immediately before them was held by Stephen the Dyer (Tinctor); rent 6s. p.a. to be paid without miskenning; Ralph and Goda swore fealty; gersuma 20s.; witnesses, Henry mayor of London, Matthew the alderman, Ralph Bat, Peter Bat.
1062. [List of those paying rent]: Ralph the Usurer and Goda; Robert Batte; Lyedulfus; William de la Cornere; Christine Box who granted the tenement to Matilda de la Barre as appears in a charter (fn. 11) enrolled 20 or 22 Ed. I; Adam Lutekyn, 5 and 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; William Ha(m)sard, 6 Ed. III; Walter S(a)rode, 34 and 49 Ed. III.
[f. 206] [The whole of this page is cancelled by two diagonal lines drawn across it and repeats f. 40.]
1063–8 as 200–5.
1069 [incomplete] as 206.
1070. [A fragment] Here lies Ainulf the first founder of the Canons in England and lover of this house (Hic iacet Anglorum vir primus canonicorum huius fundator Ainulphus et edis amator). (fn. 12)