The Spanish Company. Originally published by London Record Society, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by London Record Society. All rights reserved.
504.A court of assistants held at Pewterers' Hall on Thursday2 January 1606 in the presence of Mr.Thomas Wilford, president, Mr. John Newton, deputy, and the following:
505. Mr. Greene, treasurer, Mr. Newman, Mr. Lyng, Mr. Dorrington, Mr. Bowyer, Mr. Towerson, Mr. Wyche, Mr. Cobb, Mr. Hanger, Mr. How, Mr. Bond, Mr. Castlyn; the secretary.
506. [p. 148] At the request of Hugh Lea, recently elected consul for Lisbon, it was agreed that the treasurer should deliver £50 to him 'the same to be accompted as parte of his yerely fee of £100, paid unto him before hand, the better to furnish himself, for his present dispatch, and going over into Spaine to undertake the execution of the said office'.
507. It was also agreed that the treasurer should
make provision of a peece of plate of the value of £30 or thereabouts, to be presented and bestowed for a new yeeres guift, upon such person as the company have in private accquainted Mr. President, Mr. Treasurer and the Secretary, they meane to conferr and bestow the same upon. (fn. 1)
508. As the treasurer informed the company that he had disbursed in the company's affairs more than he had received, it was agreed that he should take upp at interest the some of £200 to be used and ymployed aswell for the payment of the said £50 to Mr. Lea, and providing the said peece of plate of £30, as also to pay officers fees, and otherwise to be expended in the affaires of the company.
509. A petition, delivered by the company to the privy council, was read out concerning diverse wrongs and iniuries offered us in Spaine, the same petition being also by order from the Lords of his Majesty's Most honorable privie Counsell, translated into Spanish, which their Lordshipps intend shalbe delivered to the Spanish Ambassador, the same being carefully translated by Mr. Thomas Honnyman, at the request of the Company. (fn. 2)