Magna Britannia: Volume 5, Derbyshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1817.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Gresley, of Drakelow. — This ancient family derive their origin from Nigel de Stafford, (said to have been one of the younger sons of Roger de Toni, Standard-bearer of Normandy,) which Nigel had large possessions in this county. The grandson of Nigel was Robert de Greslei, so called from Gresley in this county, one of the manors belonging to his grandfather at the time of the Domesday Survey; William de Greslei, his son was of Drakelow in the same parish, the present seat of the family. Sir Nicholas, the sixth in descent from William, married the heiress of Wasteneys, of Colton in Staffordshire, from whom this family inherited large possessions. George, the seventh in descent from Sir Nicholas, was created a Baronet in 1611. Sir Thomas, the second baronet, (grandson of Sir Nicholas) married a coheiress of Morewood; his grandson, Sir Thomas, the fourth baronet, a coheiress of Sir William Bowyer, Bart, of Staffordshire. The title is now enjoyed by Sir Roger Gresley, a minor, born in 1799, great grandson of the last-mentioned Sir Thomas, who is the eighth baronet of the family: he was son of Sir Nigel the late baronet by his second wife, the heiress of Garway.
Arms: — Vaire, Erm. and Gules.
Crest: — On a wreath, a lion passant, Erm. armed, langued, and collared, Gules.
Harpur, of Calke, (now Crewe). —The Harpurs were an ancient Warwickshire family; the first who settled in Derbyshire, was Richard Harpur, Esq. one of the Justices of the Common-pleas, in the reign of Elizabeth, a native of Chester, where a younger branch of the Harpur family at that time resided. Judge Harpur seated himself at Swarkston-hall, which had belonged to the Rollestons; he married the heiress of Findern, of Finadern, by whom he had two sons, Sir John, ancestor of the Harpurs of Swarkston, Breadsall, and Calke, and Sir Richard, ancestors of the Harpurs of Little-Over. The elder or Swarkston branch became extinct after four generations, the coheiresses (sisters of Sir John, the last heir male, who died in 1677,) married Gilbert of Locko and Cooper of Thurgarton in Nottinghamshire. John, the second son of Sir John Harpur of Swarkston, married the heiress of Dethick; his son, Sir John, who was of Swarkston, after the extinction of that line, married the heiress of Henry Howard, of the Suffolk family, by whom he had a son, who married, but left no issue. Henry, the third son of Sir John Harpur of Swarkston, before mentioned, was created a Baronet in 1626. Sir John Harpur, his great-grandson, the fourth baronet, married one of the coheiresses of Thomas Lord Crewe, of Stean, (by his second wife, a coheiress of Armine.) The present and seventh baronet, is Sir Henry, great-grandson of Sir John. In the year 1808, he took the name of Crewe, by the King's sign-manual, in consequence of his descent from Lord Crewe, as above-mentioned.
The elder branch of the Harpurs of Little-Over, became extinct by the death of John Harpur, Esq., in 1754; the heiress married Heathcote. A younger branch of the Harpurs of Little-Over, was settled for three descents at Twyfor.d, which estate came afterwards to a younger branch of the Harpurs, of Calke, the coheiresses of which married Francis and Revell.
Arms:—Argent, a lion rampant and a border engrailed, Sable. The Twyford branch bore a canton, S. charged with a fret, Argent, for difference.
Crest:—On a wreath, a boar passant, Or, bristled, G. and collared with a ducal coronet of the second.
Every, of Egginton.— Simon Every, who was created a baronet in 1641, was of a Somersetshire family: he settled at Egginton in this county in consequence of his marriage with Mary, elder daughter and coheir of Sir Henry Leigh. Sir Henry, the third baronet, married one of the coheiresses of Russel, of Strensham in Worcestershire, but left no issue either by her or by his second wife. His brother, Sir John Every the succeeding baronet, was a naval officer of some note in the reign of King William. Upon the death of his younger brother the Reverend Sir John Every, the seventh baronet, in 1779, the elder branch became extinct, and the title devolved to Mr. Edward Every, then of Derby, being the fourth in descent from Francis, third son of Sir Simon, the first baronet, which Francis was buried at Egginton in 1708; his son, Sir Henry, is the present baronet.
Arms:—Or, four chevronels, Gules.
Crest:—An unicorn's head, couped, Proper.
Curzon, of Kedleston. See Lord Scarsdale.
Hunloke, of Wingerworth. — The first of this family who settled in Derbyshire, was Nicholas Hunloke who purchased Wingerworth of the Curzons in the reign of Henry VIII. Henry Hunloke, his grandson, who was Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1624, married to his second wife, the heiress of Alvey. Henry his son, by her, was for his signal services in the battle of Edghill, created a Baronet in 1643; his son, the second baronet, married the heiress of Tyrwhit, in consequence of which marriage, the late Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke was, in 1806, adjudged by the House of Lords to be one of the coheirs of Robert de Roos, who was summoned to parliament, 49 Henry III. (fn. n1) The barony being taken out of abeyance, was then given to Lady Henry Fitzgerald. The present and sixth baronet of this family is Sir Henry Hunloke, a minor, born in 1812.
Arms of Hunloke: — Azure, a fesse between three tigers' heads erased, Or.
Crest: — On a chapeau Azure, turned up Erm. a cockatrice with wings expanded, Proper; comb, beak, and wattles, Or.
Boothby, of Broadlow-Ash.— This family was originally of Boothby in Lincolnshire. Henry, third son of William Boothby, a merchant in London, was created a baronet by King Charles I., in 1644, but the patent never passed the seals: he was described as of Clatercote in Oxfordshire. His grandson William, being of Broadlow-Ash, near Ashborne in Derbyshire, procured a renewal of the patent, although not with precedence from 1644. His son Francis, who died in his father's life-time, married a coheiress of Child; Henry the grandson, who was the second Baronet, died without issue, when the title devolved to William son of Sir William, by his second wife who was a coheiress of Brooke; he was succeeded by his grandson of the same name, on whose death, in 1787, the title went to Brooke Boothby, son of Brooke, second son of Sir William before mentioned, by the coheiress of Brooke. The late Sir Brooke, who enjoyed the title only two years, married the heiress of Hollins; he was succeeded by his son Sir Brooke Boothby, the present and sixth baronet.
Arms: — Argent, on a canton, Sable, a lion's paw erased, in bend, Or.
Crest: — On a wreath, a lion's paw erased, erect, Or.
Cavendish, of Doveridge. See Lord Waterpark.
Wilmot, of Chaddesden.— This family was originally of Nottinghamshire, afterwards of Derby. They have been settled at Chaddesden somewhat more than two centuries. Robert Wilmot (fn. n2), who was living in 1600, married the heiress of Shrigley. His descendant, Dr. Edward Wilmot, physician to the late King and to his present Majesty, was created a Baronet in 1759; his son, (by the daughter of the celebrated Dr. Mead,) Sir Robert Mead Wilmot, married the heiress of Wollet, and was father of Sir Robert Wilmot, the present baronet.
Arms: — Sable, on a fesse, Or, between three eagles' heads couped, Arg. as many escallops, Gules.
Crest:—An eagle's head, couped, Argent, in its beak an escallop, Gules.
Wilmot, of Osmaston.— This branch of the family descended from Sir Nicholas, a younger son of Robert Wilmot of Chaddesden above-mentioned, by the heiress of Shrigley. Robert, the elder son of Sir Nicholas, married the heiress of Eardley, and his eldest son, Robert, a coheiress of Sir Samuel Marow, Bart. Robert, the son of the last-mentioned marriage, was created a Baronet in 1772, with remainder to Robert Wilmot, Esq. of Osmaston, who is the second and present baronet.
Arms: — The same as Wilmot of Chaddesden, with the distinction of a border, engrailed, Or, (granted in 1760.)
Crest:—The same as Wilmot of Chaddesden, the eagle's head being gorged with a collar engrailed, Azure, for difference.
Fitzherbert, of Tissington.—The Tissington branch of this ancient family, is descended from Nicholas, a younger son of John Fitzherbert of Somersall, which Nicholas, about the middle of the fourteenth century, acquired Tissington, by marrying a coheiress of Meynell. The Fitzherberts had possessed Somersall, which from them acquired the name of Somersall-Herbert, beyond the reach of records. The elder branch of the family became extinct by the death of Richard Fitzherbert, Esq., of Somersall in 1803.
William Fitzherbert, Esq., of Tissington, the immediate descendant of Nicholas above-mentioned, was created a Baronet in 1783. He was succeeded, in 1791, by his eldest son Anthony, and Sir Anthony, in 1799, by his brother Henry, the present and third Baronet. Alleyn Fitzherbert, brother of Sir William the first baronet, was, in 1801, created Baron St. Helen's.
Arms: — Gules, three lions rampant, Or.
Crest:—An armed arm, erect, couped; vested, Ermine, cuffed, Argent.
Hastings, of Willesley-hall. — Charles Hastings, Esq. (a natural son of Francis, Earl of Huntingdon), who married the heiress of Abney, of Willesley-hall, was created a Baronet in 1806. Sir Charles Hastings is a General in the army.
Arms: — Arg. a maunch, within a border engrailed, Sab.
Crest: — A bull's head, erased, Erminois, attired, and ducally gorged, Argent.
Bateman, of Hartington. — It is uncertain when the Bateman family first settled at Hartington; but, probably, in the early part of the sixteenth century: they first appear in the parish Register, in the year 1554: it is probable that they came from Norfolk, where a family of that name, of considerable note, existed in the fourteenth century. (fn. n3) Hugh Bateman, Esq., the immediate descendant and representative of Hugh Bateman, who was baptized at Hartington in 1554, was, in 1806, created a Baronet, with remainder, successively, to the male issue of his two daughters, since married to the eldest son of Sir Joseph Scott, Bart., and to Sir Alexander Hood. Sir Hugh Bateman's grandfather married a. coheiress of Osborne, by a coheiress of Sacheverell. Robert, a younger brother of Hugh Bateman, of Hartington-hall, which Robert died in 1645, was a merchant in London and Chamberlain of the City; three of his younger sons, William, Anthony, and Thomas, were Aldermen of London, all knighted by King Charles II., at the Restoration, and designated as Knights of the Royal Oak, had the Institution of that order taken effect. Sir Anthony was Lord Mayor of London in 1664; Sir Thomas who was in the same year created a Baronet, died without male issue.
Arms: — Or, three crescents, each surmounted by an etoile of six points, Gules; a dexter canton, Azure.
Crest: — A crescent, surmounted by an etoile, Gules, between two eagle's wings, Or.
Sitwell, of Renishaw-hall. — The family of Sitwell was settled in the parish of Eckington early in the sixteenth century. (fn. n4) They afterwards became possessed of Renishaw-hall in that parish. Upon the death of Francis Sitwell, Esq., in 1753, without issue, his estates devolved to Francis Hurt, (son of his cousin-german, Catherine, daughter of William Sitwell, Esq.) Mr. Hurt took the name of Sitwell in 1777, and was father of Sitwell Sitwell, Esq., who was created a Baronet in 1808. Sir Sitwell died in 1811, and was succeeded by his only son, George, a minor (born in 1797), who is the present baronet.
Arms: — Barry of eight, O. and Vert; over all, three lions rampant, Sable.
Crest: — A demi-lion rampant, erased, Sable, holding an escutcheon, per pale, Or and Vert.
Baronets who were not described as of Derbyshire at the Time of their Creation.
Burdett, of Bramcote, in Warwickshire, now of Foremark, in Derbyshire. This ancient family was of Leicestershire immediately after the conquest. Sir Robert Burdett settled at Arrow, in Warwickshire, in the reign of Edward II. Thomas, his immediate descendant, being then of Bramcote, was created a Baronet in 1618. Previously to this period, the heiresses or coheiresses of Camville, Veale, Bruin, and Waldief, had married into the family. Sir Thomas Burdett, Bart., acquired Foremark by marriage with the heiress of Francis; and it became, in consequence, the chief seat of the family. Francis, son of Sir Robert Burdett, the fourth baronet, married the heiress of Jones, of Ramsbury manor, Wilts, and died in his father's life-time: his son, Francis, is the fifth and present baronet.
Arms: — Azure, two bars, Or.
Crest:—On a wreath, a lion's head, erased, Sable, langued, Gules.
Cave, of Stanford, Northamptonshire, now Cave Browne, of Strettonin-the-Fields, Derbyshire. On the death of the Rev. Sir Charles Cave of Thedingworth, in Leicestershire, in 1810, the title devolved to William Cave Browne, Esq., of Stretton, descended from Roger, elder son of Sir Roger Cave, Bart., who died in 1703, by his second wife. This Roger married Catherine, daughter of William Browne, Esq., of Stretton: his son John, on succeeding to this estate took the name and arms of Browne, in 1753, and was father of Sir William Cave Browne, Bart. The heiress of Bromflete, and coheiresses of Genell and Danvers, have married into the Cave family.
Arms of Browne, of Stretton: — Azure, a chevron between three escallops, Or; a border engrailed, Gules.
Crest:—An ostrich, Argent, the wings, collar, and beak, Or.
Banks, of Revesby-Abbey, in Lincolnshire, now occasionally resident at Overton-hall, in Derbyshire.—The family of Banks was originally of Yorkshire. Joseph Banks, Esq., M. P. for Peterborough, married the heiress of Hodgkinson: William, his son, took the name of Hodgkinson for the Overton estate, which afterwards passed to his younger brother, the late Robert Banks Hodgkinson, Esq. Joseph Banks, Esq., of Revesby-Abbey, (son of William, above-mentioned, who had resumed the name of Banks, and grandson of Joseph Banks, above-mentioned) was created a Baronet in 1783. On the death of his uncle, Robert Banks Hodgkinson, in 1792, he became possessed of Overton-hall, which has since been his occasional residence. In 1795, he was made Knight of the Bath; and upon the new-modelling of that order in 1814, one of the Knights Grand Cross. Sir Joseph married one of the coheiresses of Hugesson, of Provender in Kent.
Arms: — Sable, a cross, Or, between four fleurs-de-lis, Argent.
Crest:— On the stump of a tree, couped, Proper, a stork, close, Argent, beaked, Or.
Leake, of Sutton, 1611. See Earl of Scarsdale, among the extinct Peers.
Kniveton, of Mercaston, 1611.—This ancient family, was originally of Kniveton, whence they took their name. Sir Matthew Kniveton was settled at Bradley in the reign of Edward I., and there the eider branch continued till the early part of Charles I.'s reign, when it became extinct, after a continuance of about fifteen generations. Matthew, a younger son of Sir Matthew Kniveton above-mentioned, settled at Mercaston. Thomas, the eighth in descent from Matthew, married a coheiress of Leche of Chatsworth. His son William, who was created a Baronet in 1611, married the heiress of Rollesley of Rollesley-hall. Sir Gilbert, the second baronet, who married the heiress of Gray, of Tanney in Hertfordshire, removed to Bradley after the extinction of the elder branch. Sir Andrew, the third baronet, a zealous Royalist, having been much impoverished by the civil war, sold Bradley and the greater part, if not the whole, of the family estates. Sir Andrew had a younger brother, Thomas, and three sisters married to Sir Aston Cokaine, Pegge of Yeldersley, and Henry Neville. We have not been able to find when the title became extinct; but Collins, in his Baronet age of 1720, says that Sir Thomas Kniveton, one of the Gentlemen P???sioners in the reign of Charles II. was supposed to have been the last Baronet. This Sir Thomas continued to belong to the band of Gentlemen Pensioners, in the early part of King William's reign, and was living in 1690. He was the younger brother of Sir Andrew Kniveton before mentioned.
Arms: — The bearings of this family have been various. The earliest coats were, a chevron between three knives, borne by Sir Henry Kniveton, temp. Edw. I., and Gules, a bend vaire, Arg. and Sable. Sir Henry Kniveton, temp. Edw. III. bore a bend, vaire. between six crosses formee. A later coat, and that borne by the baronets of the family, was Gules, a chevron, vaire, Argent and Sable.
Crest, a demi-eagle issuing from a wreath, Or, the wings expanded, Sable.
Willoughby, of Risley, 1611.—Sir Richard Willoughby, who, during a great part of the reign of Edward III. was one of the justices of the Common-pleas, and sometime chief justice of the King's-bench, acquired the Risley estate by marriage with the heiress of Morteyne: his younger son Hugh, settled at Risley. The son of Hugh married the heiress of Dabridgecourt, and his son, it appears, bore his mother's arms, (Ermine, three bars humettee) which are engraved on his monument at Wilne, impaled with Clifton. Henry, the last heir male of this branch, was created a baronet in 16II, during the life-time of his father, Sir John Willoughby, who died in 1625. Sir Henry dying without male issue, in 1649, the title became extinct: he had four daughters; by his first wife, Elizabeth and Anne; by his second wife, (the coheiress of Darcy,) Catherine and Elizabeth. The elder, Elizabeth, married Sir Henry Griffith, and died without issue; Anne married Sir Thomas Aston, Bart., and afterwards, the Honourable Anchetil Grey, second son of the Earl of Stamford; Catherine married Sir J.Bellingham, Bart., and afterwards George Purefoy, Esq.; and Elizabeth, the youngest, Sir Symonds Dewes, Bart., and afterwards Sir John Wray, Bart.
Arms of Willoughby, of Risley: — Or, on two bars, Gules, three water bougets, Argent.
Crest: — An owl, crowned, Or.
Foljambe, of Walton, 1622. — The first of this family of whom we have any account in the pedigrees, is Sir Thomas Foljambe, whose son, Sir Thomas, appears to have been settled at Darley. Sir Godfrey, son of the last-mentioned Sir Thomas, died in or about the year 1376; his son Thomas married the heiress of Loudham, of Walton near Chesterfield, which was the seat of his posterity for several generations. Sir James and Godfrey, sons of Sir Godfrey, who was great-grandson of Thomas above-mentioned, married the coheiresses of Fitzwilliam of Aldwark. George, a third son, was of Barlborough, where his elder son, Henry, was living in 1569. Francis Foljambe, Esq.. descended from Sir James, who married one of the coheiresses of Fitzwiliiam, was created a Baronet in 1622. The title, and the elder branch of the family became extinct at his death. Aldwark, in Yorkshire, inherited from Fitzwiliiam, continued to be the seat of a younger branch, till that also became extinct, in the male line, about the year 1740. The Staffordshire branch of Foljambe was descended from an illegitimate son of Godfrey Foljambe, who married the other coheiress of Fitzwiliiam, but died without lawful issue.
Arms of Foljambe:—Sable, a bend between six escallops, Or.
Crest:—In the year 1513, Godfrey Foljambe, of Walton had a grant of the following crest; — A Calopus or Chatloup, passant, quarterly, Or and Sable, the horns quarterly in like manner. The family nevertheless bore, at a later date, for their crest, a man's leg couped at the thigh, quarterly, Or and Sable, spurred, of the first.
Rodes, of Barlborough. 1641.—This was an ancient Nottinghamshire family. William, sixth in descent from Sir Gerard Rodes, who lived in the reign of King John, married the heiress of Cachehors, of Stavely-Woodthorpe in Derbyshire, where his posterity settled. Francis Rodes, the fifth in descent from William, was one of the justices of the Common-pleas in the reign of Queen Elizabeth: he purchased Barlborough, which, in his son's time, became the seat of the family. His grandson, Sir Francis Rodes, Knt., created a Baronet in 1641, married the heiress of Lascelles, of Sturton, in Nottinghamshire. The title and the male line of the family became extinct by the death of Sir John Rodes, the fourth baronet, in 1743. His sister and heiress married Gilbert Heathcote, whose grandson, Gilbert, took the name of Rodes, and died in 1768. Cornelius, nephew of the latter, took the name of Rodes in addition to that of Heathcote in 1776, and is the present possessor of the Barlborough estate, and representative, in the female line, of the ancient family of Rodes.
Arms: — Arg. two cottises Ermine, and in bend a lion passant-guardant, Gules, between two acorns, Azure.
Crest: — On a wreath, a hand couped at the wrist, holding an oak bough with acorns thereon, Proper.
Coke, of Longford, 1641.— Clement, the sixth son of Lord Chief Justice Sir Edward Coke, settled at Longford in the early part of the seventeenth century. (fn. n5) Sir Edward was the representative of an ancient Norfolk family, into which the heiress of Crispin and coheiresses of Folcard and Knightly had married; he himself married a coheiress of Paston; his son Clement, a coheiress of Rediche, by the heiress of Dethick of Newhall. Edward Coke, Esq., of Longford, son of Clement, was created a Baronet in 1641: he married a coheiress of Dyer; his son, the second baronet, a coheiress of Barker. The title of this branch of the family became extinct by the death of Sir Edward, the third baronet, in 1727. After this event, Longford passed to the elder or Holkham branch, which became extinct by the death of Robert Coke, Esq. Wenman Roberts Esq,, his nephew, took the name of Coke in 1756, and was father of T. W. Coke, Esq. M.P., now of Holkham, and of Edward Coke, Esq., of Longford, M. P. for Derby.
Arms:—Per pale, Gules, and Azure, three eagles displayed, Argent.
Crest: — On a wreath, an ostrich, Argent, in the beak a horse-shoe, Azure.
Gell, of Hopton, 1641.—The Gells were of Hopton as early as the reign of Edward III. (fn. n6) Sir John Gell was created a baronet in 1642. The title and the male line of the family became extinct by the death of Sir Philip Gell, the third Baronet in 1719: his sister and eventually heiress married William Eyre, Esq., of Highlow, whose second son, John, took the name of Gell, about the year 1735. He married a coheiress of Jessop, of Broom-hall in the parish of Sheffield, by the heiress of Lord Darcy, of the kingdom of Ireland; and was grandfather of Philip Gell, Esq. M. P., the present possessor of Hopton.
Arms of Gell: — Per bend, Azure and Or, three mullets of six points, in bend, pierced and counter-changed.
Crest: — A greyhound statant, Sable, collared, Or.
Pye, of Hoone, 1664.— The ancient family of Pye was originally of Kilpec-castle in Herefordshire: their descendant, Sir Robert Pye, who married a coheiress of Croker, settled at Farringdon in Berkshire, in the early part of the sixteenth century; his second son, John who settled at Hoone in Derbyshire, was created a Baronet in 1664. The title became extinct in 1734, by the death of Sir Robert Pye, the fourth Baronet.
Arms: — Ermine, a bend, fusily, Gules.
Crest: — A cross crosslet fitchee, Gules, standing between a pair of wings, displayed, Argent.
Jenkinson, of Walton, 1685. — Richard Jenkinson inherited Walton from his uncle, Paul Fletcher: his son Paul was created a Baronet in 1685. Sir Paul, the second baronet, married one of the coheiresses of Revel, of Ogston. The title became extinct on the death of his younger brother, the third baronet, in 1741.
Arms:—Azure, two barrulets in fesse, Or; in chief three suns, Proper.
Crest:—On a wreath, a sea-horse's head couped, Azure, finned, and gorged with two barrulets, Or.
Barker, of Glapwell.—This family was of considerable antiquity in Derbyshire. The Barkers were originally of Dore, and are mentioned in the list of Gentry, temp. Hen. VI.: they were afterwards of Norton-Lees, which was acquired by marriage with the heiress of Parker of that place and of Dronfield-Woodhouse. Sir Robert Barker, who married the heiress of Brabazon Hallowes, Esq., of Glapwell, was the last of the family. He was created a Baronet in 1781, and died in 1789.
Arms: — Per chevron, engrailed, Or and Sable, a lion rampant counter-changed; a canton Azure charged with a fleur de lis, Or.
Crest: — A demi-dragon, wings expanded, Vert, holding in the fore paw a sword erect, Proper.
Levinge, of Parwich, and afterwards of High-Park, Westmeath, in the kingdom of Ireland. An Irish baronet. — Thomas Levinge descended from, a Norfolk family, purchased Parwich of the Cokaines soon after the year 1600; his descendant, Sir Richard Levinge, Speaker of the House of Commons and Lord Chief Justice of the King's-bench, in Ireland, was created a Baronet in 1685, and was ancestor of the present Sir Richard Levinge, Bart., who sold Parwich (after it had long ceased to be a seat of the family,) in 1814.
Arms: — Vert, a chevron, Or; in chief; three escallop shells, Argent.
Crest:—Within a chaplet, Vert, an escallop shell, Argent.
The present Baronets' seats are, Ash borne-hall, Sir Brooke Boothby's; Calke, Sir Henry Crewe's; Wingerworth, Sir Henry Hunloke's; Egginton, Sir Henry Every's; Tissington, Sir Henry Fitzherbert's; Chaddesden, Sir Robert Wilmot's; Osmaston, Sir Robert Wilmot's; Foremark, Sir Francis Burdet's; and Stretton, Sir William Cave Browne's. Of these, only Sir Henry Crewe, Sir Henry Every, Sir Henry Fitzherbert, Sir Robert Wilmot of Chaddesden, and Sir William Cave Browne, are at present resident in the county. Ashborne-hall, is in the tenure of Richard Arkwright, Esq., jun. Wingerworth is shut up during the minority of the present baronet. Foremark and Osmaston are at present uninhabited.