Magna Britannia: Volume 5, Derbyshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1817.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. Public Domain.
MACKWORTH, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, and in the deanery of Derby, lies about two miles north-west from Derby. The parish comprises the township of Markeaton, and the parochial chapelry of Allestrey.
The manor of Mackworth has always been held with that of Markeaton. A considerable freehold estate at Mackworth was held under the lord of the manor by the ancient family of De Mackworth, who had a castellated mansion here, the gateway of which still remains. The Mack worths removed their residence to Normanton in Rutlandshire, in consequence of the marriage of Thomas Mackworth, Esq. (who was one of the representatives of the county of Derby in the reign of Henry VI.) with the heiress of Basinges. Mackworth castle continued, nevertheless, in the family two centuries later; Sir Thomas Mackworth died seised of it in 1640. The castle estate is now the property of Lord Scarsdale, whose family have possessed it for a considerable time.
In the parish church are the monuments of Edward Mundy, Esq., who died in 1607; William Forester, Esq., 1768; and Nicholas Nicholas, Esq., (late Heath,) of Boy-Court, in Kent, 1807.
The manor of Markeaton (Marchetone) is described in the Domesday Survey as having been the property of Siward, and then held by Gozelin, under Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester. In the year 1251, Thomas, son of Robert Tuschet, had a charter of free warren here. (fn. n1) The Tochets, or Tuchets, claimed a park at Markeaton, and a gallows for the execution of criminals in 1330. In or about the year 1516, John Tuchet, Lord Audley, sold the manors of Markeaton and Mackworth to John Mundy, citizen of London, who was Lord-May or in 1522. This estate is now the property, and Markeaton the seat, of his descendant Francis Mundy, Esq., son of the late Francis Noel Clarke Mundy, Esq., for many years the much respected chairman of the quarter-sessions at Derby, and author of the admired poems of " Needwood Forest," and " The Fall of Needwood." The old hall at Markeaton, which was of wood and plaister, was pulled down, and the present mansion built about the year 1750. (fn. n2)
The parochial chapelry of Allestrey lies about two miles north of Derby, on the road to Duffield. The manor of Allestrey (Adelardestreu) is described in the Domesday Survey as a hamlet of the manor of Markeaton; and it appears to have been ever since held with that manor, being now the property of Francis Mundy, of Markeaton. The late Francis N. C. Mundy, Esq., sold a considerable part of the Allestrey estate to the late Thomas Evans, Esq., of Derby, Charles Upton, Esq., of Derby, and Bache Thornhill, Esq., of Stanton, in the Peak. The estate purchased by Mr. Evans is now the property of his grandson, William Evans, Esq. The house and lands purchased by Mr. Upton were sold by him to Bache Thornhill, Esq., to whom they now belong. Mr. Thornhill built a handsome modern mansion on the estate purchased by him of Mr. Mundy, which he sold with the lands, about the year 1805, to John Charles Girardot, Esq., the present proprietor, by whom the place has been much improved.
In the chapel are several monuments of the Mundy family (fn. n3), who had formerly seats at Allestrey and Quarndon, as well as Markeaton; of the Cokes of Trusley, allied to them by marriage; and George Evans, æt. 15, drowned in the river wharf at Thorp-Arch, May 29, 1804.
MAPLETON, or Mappleton, in the wapentake of Wirksworth, and in the deanery of Ashborne, lies in a valley on the banks of the Dove, about a mile and a half from the town of Ashborne.
There are two manors in Mapleton: one of these belonged at an early period to the Bassetts of Blore, whose heiress brought it to William Ca vendish, Duke of Newcastle. It was sold by his descendants, in 1757, to Thomas Rivett, Esq., of whom it was purchased by the Rev. John Taylor, L.L.D., of Ashborne. This manor is now the property of Dr. Taylor's devisee, William Webster, Esq., of Ashborne. The other manor was at an early period in the family of Wendesley, or Wensley, afterwards in the Cokaines: the last-mentioned family possessed it for several generations. This estate, which we are informed is not now esteemed a manor, belonged afterwards to the family of Trott. It is now the property of R. F. Okeover, Esq., in whose family it has been for a considerable time.
The rectory of Mapleton is annexed to the vicarage of Ashborne, and is in the patronage of the Dean of Lincoln.
In the year 1727, Rowland Okeover, Esq., gave certain lands to trustees for the purpose (amongst other uses) of building three houses at Mapleton for clergymen's widows, and providing an annual payment of l0l. for each widow, and 40s. for coals. The houses were accordingly built; and in consequence of the increased rent of the estates, the widows now receive 30l. per annum each. The widows are nominated by trustees appointed by the Okeover family.
MARSTON-ON-DOVE, in the hundred of Appletree and deanery of Castillar, lies on the banks of the Dove, about eight miles and a half from Derby. The parish comprises the townships of Marston, Hatton, Hilton, and Hoon.
The manor of Marston-on-Dove, which had been given to the priory of Tutbury by its founder, Henry de Ferrars, was granted, after the Re formation, to the Cavendish family, and is now the property of his Grace the Duke of Devonshire.
In the parish church are some memorials of the family of Wolley. (fn. n4) There was a chantry in this church, founded by Thomas Kinnersley, Esq., and Charles Munyng, Clerk, in 1523; the endowment was then 5l. 8s. 9d. per annum. (fn. n5)
The manor of Hatton was held at the time of the Domesday Survey by Saswalo, or Sewall, ancestor of the Shirley family, under Henry de Ferrars. This manor was eventually annexed to the Duchy of Lancaster, as parcel of the hundred of Appletree. It is held on lease by Lord Vernon, whose ancestor Henry Vernon, Esq., was lessee in 1660.
The manor of Hilton was held at the time of taking the Domesday Survey by one Robert, under Henry de Ferrars. It was afterwards in the family of De Bec. (fn. n6) Jordan de Tuke gave a manor of Hilton to Dale Abbey. (fn. n7) In 1712 the manor of Hilton belonged to the Earl of Chester field; it is now the property of Sir Henry Every, Bart. An old mansion, which belonged to the ancient family of Wakelyn, and which before the year 1712 had been purchased by Mr. John Gisborne, is now the property of Mr. Spurrier: the estate which was annexed to it has been sold in parcels.
At Hilton was formerly a chapel of ease, of which there are no remains. Ernulf de Bec, at a very early period, being lord of the manor of Hilton, and Thomas de Piru gave three bovates of land to the church of Marston, for the privilege of having this chapel, and agreed that the inhabitants of Hilton should go on certain festival days to the mother church of Marston. (fn. n8)
The manor of Hogan, or Howne, now called and written Hoon, (the Hoge of the Domesday Survey,) was held, when that Survey was taken, by Saswalo, or Sewall, ancestor of the Shirley family, under Henry de Ferrars. The Shirleys continued to possess it in the reign of Henry VIII. It was purchased of them by the Palmers, who were succeeded by the Staffords. About the middle of the seventeenth century it became the property (by purchase) of John Pye, Esq., (younger son of Sir Robert Pye, of Farringdon, in the county of Berks,) who settled at Hoon, and was created a Baronet in 1664. His son, Sir Charles Pye, was a great traveller, and visited Egypt and the Holy Land. The two sons of Sir Charles, Richard and Robert, successively enjoyed the title and estate. The title became extinct on the death of Sir Robert, the younger, (who was in holy orders,) in 1734. Sir Robert Pye bequeathed the manor of Hoon to his three daughters, none of whom appear to have been married at the time of his decease: it is probable that one of them afterwards married Watkins, as we find that Hoon passed by inheritance to a family of that name. It was purchased of the late Captain Watkins by Mr. W. J. Lockett, who has since sold it in severalties. The old mansion of the Pyes is occupied as a farm house by its present proprietor Mr. Orme.
MATLOCK, in the wapentake of Wirksworth, and in the deanery of Ashborne, lies about four miles north-east from Wirksworth. The parish and township are co-extensive. The principal villages in the parish are, Matlock, Matlock-baths, Matlock-bank, Harston (fn. n9), and Ryber. There are four fairs at Matlock, Feb. 25, April 2, May 9, and Oct. 24, for cattle, swine, sheep, and pedlars' wares. The fair which is now held on the 2d of April was formerly held on the 16th of July: it was altered by the lords of the manor in 1810, at the request of several neighbouring farmers and dealers.
The manor of Matloek is described in the Survey of Domesday as parcel of the King's manor of Mestesforde, the site of which is not certainly known, but is supposed to have been at a place now called Nestes or Nestus, a little mining village at the foot of a high hill on the north side of the old bath. Matlock is supposed to have belonged at an early period to the Ferrars family, as parcel of the wapentake of Wirksworth. It is certain that it was successively parcel of the earldom and duchy of Lancaster. It continued attached to the duchy till the year 1628, when it was granted to Edward Ditchfield and others, in trust for the corporation of the city of London, by whom, in the following year, it was conveyed to John Middleton and three other persons, as trustees for the copyholders of the manor. The rights of the manor have ever since been vested in a succession of such trustees for the proprietors, some of whom are possessed of copyhold and freehold lands, and others of freehold lands only. The present trustees are, Bache Thornhill, Esq., Philip Gell, Esq., of Wirksworth, and John Toplis, Esq.
The beautiful scenery of Matlock, and its springs and baths, have been already spoken of. The waters were first applied to medicinal purposes about the latter end of the seventeenth century. The old bath, which was of wood, lined with lead, was made in 1698. The proprietor then procured a lease from the lords of the manor. In process of time the accommodations were improved; a stone bath was constructed; two new springs were discovered; new baths were formed; lodging-houses erected, and carriage-roads made. Matlock-baths have long been a favourite summer resort, great numbers being attracted to it, as well by the beauties of its scenery as by the celebrity of its waters.
The parish church contains no monument of note, except that of An thony Wolley (who died in 1578), and Agnes his wife. Bassano's volume of Church Notes mentions the monument of Anthony Wolley, who died in 1668, and memorials of Henry Smith, Rector, " Divinus, medicus, mu sicus,"1640, and of some of the family of Hay ward. (fn. n10)
The Dean of Lincoln is patron of the rectory. There is a meeting-house of the Independents at Matlock-bath.
Mr. George Spateman, of Tansley, in the year 1647, gave the sum of 80l., for the purpose of founding a free-school at Matlock, and 20l. for the use of the poor. This money was laid out in a messuage and lands at Al freton, exchanged a few years ago for a messuage and other lands at Mat lock, which exchange was confirmed by an act of parliament passed in 1812. This house and land are now let for 24l. per annum, four-fifths of which is paid to the schoolmaster. Mr. Anthony Wolley, in 1668, gave 5l. per annum to this school, and directed that a piece of land should be set apart for that use; which having been neglected to be done, a commission of charitable uses was applied for on the part of the charity, and two pieces of copyhold land, now let for 19l. 10s. per annum were set apart for the use of the school. On the inclosure of Matlock common, an allotment was made to the school in right of these lands; which allotment is now let for 5l. per annum. The whole income of the school is now 43l. 14s. per annum.
The manor of Willersley belonged in the reign of Henry VI. to Richard Minors, Esq., by whom it was conveyed to Sir Roger Leche. (fn. n11) Henry Talbot, a younger son of Gilbert, Earl of Shrewsbury, died seised of this manor in 1595. Gertrude, one of his daughters and coheiresses, married Robert Pierrepont Esq., afterwards Earl of Kingston. In consequence of a family settlement it descended to William Pierrepont, Esq., of a younger branch of the Kingston family; who, having no issue, bequeathed it to his widow, a coheiress of Sir Thomas Darcy, Bart. This lady settled it upon her nephew, Sir Darcy Dawes, Bart., son of Archbishop Dawes. Sir Darcy's daughter and heir having brought it to Edwin Lascelles, Esq., afterwards Lord Harewood, it was sold by him, in 1778, to Mr. Edmund Hodgkinson, tenant of the estate, who soon afterwards resold to Thomas Hallett Hodges, Esq. Of the latter it was purchased, in 1782, by Richard Arkwright, Esq. This gentleman, by his extraordinary skill in mechanics, applied to the improvement of the art of spinning cotton, rendered an important service to his country, and raised himself from an humble origin to the possession of a princely fortune. He first established his cotton-works at Cromford, about the year 1770. In 1786 he received the honour of knighthood. In 1788 he built on this estate a large gothic mansion, called Willersley, situated on a knoll which overlooks the Derwent: before it had been inhabited it was reduced to a shell by an accidental fire, on the 8th of August, 1791. Sir Richard Arkwright died in 1792. Willersley is now the property and seat of his son, Richard Arkwright, Esq., M.P. The walks at Willersley, cut out in the woods which overhang the Derwent, command views of the most picturesque scenery in the vicinity of Matlock-bath. At Willersley are several paintings by Wright of Derby; among which are a portrait of Sir Richard Arkwright, and a view of Ulswater, which was purchased by Mr. Arkwright at the price of 300 guineas.
An estate called the Coumbs and the Bough-wood, in the south-east part of this parish, passed by marriage from the family of Wakebridge to that of Pole. On the death of John Pole, Esq., of Wakebridge, in 1724, it devolved to his great nephew, Garalt Morphy; whose brother sold the whole of the estate in Matlock, which had belonged to the Pole family, to the late Peter Nightingale, Esq. It was devised by the latter to his great nephew, William Edward Shore, Esq., who has since taken the name of Nightingale, and is the present proprietor.
Ryber-hall (fn. n12), in this parish, was for many generations the property and residence of the family of Wolley. Anthony Wolley, the last of the Ryber branch, died a bachelor in 1668; his sisters and coheirs sold the Ryber-hall estate to Thomas Statham; from whom it passed in like manner, in 1681, to the Reverend John Chappell. In 1724, it was divided between the co-heiresses of Chappell. One moiety passed by sale to Wall, and is now the property of three persons of that name; the other moiety has passed through several hands by sale, and is now the property of Joseph Greatrex. The hall itself is divided in moieties.
An old mansion at Allen-hill, in this parish, was long the residence of another branch of the Wolley family, and is now the property of their representative, Mr. John Wolley, a wholesale grocer in London. Mr. Adam Wolley, of this branch, who died in 1657, lived 76 years in marriage with his wife Grace, who having survived him 12 years, died in 1669. Supposing her to have been only 16 when she was married, in 1581, she must have been 104 years of age at the time of her decease. The tradition of the family is that she was 110 years of age, and that her husband was in his 100th year at the time of his decease. Indeed, it appears from circumstances that he could not have been less than 96.
Measham. See Repton.
MELBOURNE, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, and in the deanery of Repington, lies about six miles from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and about eight from Derby, which is the post-town. The large village of King's-Newton is in this parish.
The manor of Melbourne was parcel of the ancient demesne of the crown. King John granted it to Hugh Beauchamp (fn. n13); but it seems to have reverted ere long to the crown. King Henry III., in 1229, granted the manor of Melbourne to Philip de Marc, to be held during pleasure. (fn. n14) The manor and castle of Melbourne were possessed by Edmund, Earl of Lancaster, brother of King Edward I.: and they passed successively, with the title, to his sons Thomas and Henry. (fn. n15) Henry, Earl of Lancaster, had, in 1327, a charter for a market at Melbourne, on Wednesdays, and a fair for three days at the festival of St. Michael. (fn. n16) The castle and manor continued attached to the Earldom and Duchy of Lancaster till the year 1604, when King James granted them to Charles, Earl of Nottingham. The Earl soon afterwards conveyed them to Henry, Earl of Huntingdon; from, whom they have descended to the present proprietor, Francis, Marquis of Hastings.
Melbourne castle was for many years the prison of John, Duke of Bourbon (fn. n17), taken at the battle of Agincourt, in 1415. In 1460 the castle is said to have been dismantled by order of Queen Margaret. Ralph Shirley, who died in 1466, was governor of Melbourne castle. (fn. n18) Probably the fortifications had been repaired by King Edward IV. Leland represents it (about 1550) as then " in metely repair." Camden, about 50 years afterwards, describes Melbourne as a castle of the King's then decaying. A survey of the manor made in 1602, describes it as " a faire ancient castle, which her Majesty keepeth in her own hands." It was suffered to go to decay by the Earls of Huntingdon; and there are now scarcely any remains of the walls. There is an engraving of the castle in the Monumenta Vetusta, published by the Society of Antiquaries, from a drawing attached to the abovementioned survey.
In the parish church is an ancient monument of a crusader, already spoken of (fn. n19); and several monuments of the Hardinges (fn. n20), of King's-Newton, particularly that of Sir Robert Hardinge, Knt, Master in Chancery, &c., who died in 1670, and of his wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Richard Sprignall, of Highgate, who died in 1673, with their effigies cut on white marble slabs. Sir Robert Hardinge was grandfather of Nicholas Hardinge, Esq., chief clerk of the House of Commons, and great grandfather of the late George Hardinge, Esq., one of his Majesty's Justices for Wales, and the present Sir Richard Hardinge, Bart.
King John granted the church of Melbourne to Benedict de Ramsey, in or about 1203 (fn. n21); and afterwards to Simon de Waltham, who was possessed of it in 1216, After the death of this Simon, Walter Malclerc, Bishop of Carlisle, either by grant or purchase, annexed the church of Melbourne, with the parsonage manor, to that see. (fn. n22) The Bishop, in 1229, had a grant of a fair within his manor of Melbourne, for five days, at the festival of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary. (fn. n23)
The Bishops of Carlisle had a palace here, with a park, at which they occasionally resided. Bishop Kirkby is recorded to have held his ordination at Melbourne on account of the border wars. The palace, now Melbourne-hall, was long held on lease under the see of Carlisle, together with the impropriate parsonage. The first of the Coke family who settled at Melbourne, as lessee under the Bishop of Carlisle, was Sir John Coke, Secretary of State to King Charles I., a younger brother of Sir Francis Coke, of Trusley. In 1701, an agreement was made between Bishop Nicolson and Thomas Coke, Esq., that, in consequence of an increase of the annual rent from 45l. to 70l., and of the vicar's stipend from 20l. to 35l., the fee should be vested in perpetuity in Mr. Coke, his heirs, and assigns. This agreement was confirmed by an act of parliament passed in 1704. The sister and heiress of George Lewis Coke, Esq., (the last heir male of this branch,) who died in 1750, brought Melbourne-hall and the parsonage manor, to Sir Matthew Lamb, Bart. Sir Peniston Lamb, Bart., his son, was in 1770, created an Irish peer, by the title of Lord Melbourne; in 1780, he was advanced to the dignity of a Viscount. Melbourne-hall and the parsonage manor are now his property, and the hall his occasional residence. The park has been long ago converted into tillage. The Bishop of Carlisle is patron of the vicarage.
The chantry of St. Catherine, at Melbourne, was founded by William Bars, in 1379 (fn. n24); that of St. Michael, by Simon de Melbourne, clerk, and others, in 1400. (fn. n25) The Chantry Roll speaks of another, founded by the heirs of Lee Hunte, not in charge. The chantry chapel of St. Catherine was a detached building, still remaining, about three yards from the church.
There are meeting-houses at Melbourne for the Independents, General Baptists, Quakers, and Wesleyan Methodists. There was formerly a meeting of the Presbyterians; but the few Who remain of that persuasion have joined the Independents. A small congregation of Unitarians have occasionally a preacher from Derby.
A charity-school was founded at Melbourne, in 1739, by Lady Elizabeth Hastings: the present value of its endowment is 19l. l0s. per annum.
The manor of King's-Newton was granted, in 1322, with that of Melbourne, to Sir Robert Holand. It has since been held with Melbourne, and is now the property of the Marquis of Hastings. An ancient mansion and estate, for many generations the property and residence of the Hardinge family, belong now to Lord Viscount Melbourne. The house is at present in the occupation of William Speechley, Esq.
MORLEY, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, and in the deanery of Derby lies about four miles from Derby. This parish comprises the chapelry of Smalley.
The manor of Morley was given to Burton Abbey, in the reign of King Ethelred, by Wulfric Spott. (fn. n26) In the Survey of Domesday it is described as one of the manors of Henry de Ferrars. It appears that the manors of Morley and Smalley were held, in 1235, by the Abbot of Chester, as of the fee of Hugh Earl of Chester. (fn. n27) We find Morley, not long after this, held (probably under the abbey of Chester) by a family who took their name from this the place of their residence. Goditha, the heiress-general of Morley (fn. n28) brought it to Ralph Statham, who died in 1380. The heiress of Statham brought it to John Sacheverell, who was slain at the battle of Bosworth-field in 1485. (fn. n29) Robert Sacheverell, Esq., the last heir male of this family died in 1714. In consequence of a settlement made by William Sacheverell, Esq., father of Robert, (and partly by purchase,) the manor of Morley is now vested in Sir Hugh Bateman, Bart., and Edward Sacheverell Wilmot Sitwell, Esq., descended from the two daughters of the said William Sacheverell; and Edward Sacheverell Chandos Pole, Esq., descended from one of the daughters of Robert Sacheverell, Esq. (fn. n30)
The north aisle or chapel of the parish church was built by Ralph Statham, Esq., who died in 1380; the remainder of the church and the steeple by his widow Goditha before-mentioned, who died in 1403. There are several monuments in this church for the ancient families of Statham and Sacheverell. (fn. n31) The windows are ornamented with painted glass, said to have been brought from Dale-Abbey, and containing the legend of the foundation of that monastery. (fn. n32) In the chancel is the tomb of William Wilson, M. A., rector of Morley and archdeacon of Coventry, who died in 1741, aged 95.
Sir Hugh Bateman, Bart., and E. S. Wilmot Sitwell, Esq., are patrons of the rectory. (fn. n33)
There is an alms-house at Morley, founded by Jacinth Sacheverell, who died in 1657, for six poor men (fn. n34) who have each a pension of 5l. per annum, charged on an estate now belonging to Leonard Fosbrook, Esq.
The chapelry of Smalley, lies about two miles from Morley, and six miles and a half from Derby. The manor of Smalley appears to have been held with Morley till the death of Robert Sacheverell, Esq., in 1714. The Sacheverell estates at Smalley which passed to his daughters and coheiresses, and were sold after that event, are now chiefly the property of John Radford, Esq., Edward Miller Mundy, Esq., M.P., and E. S. W. Sitwell, Esq. Mr. Radford, in right of his purchase, which consisted of Clifton's moiety, claims a portion of the manor, but no manerial rights are exercised. The Richardson family had an estate, and a good house at Smalley, now the property and residence of the above-mentioned John Radford, Esq., who was High Sheriff in 1784. It was bequeathed to his mother by her aunt Elizabeth wife of Mr. Samuel Richardson of Smalley.
The manor of Kiddersley in this parish, the site of which is still called Kiddersley park, belonged, in the year 1235, to the Abbot of (fn. n35) Chester. This estate, no longer esteemed a manor, is now by purchase and exchange the property of William Drury Lowe, Esq. It was part of the Sacheverell estates, and was divided among the coheiresses, after the death of Robert Sacheverell, Esq.
Christopher Johnson, M.D., an eminent medical writer, was of Kiddersley in Derbyshire, in 1597. (fn. n36)
The school-house at Smalley, with a dwelling-house for the master, were built by Mr. John and Mr. Samuel Richardson who, in 1721, endowed it with lands at Horsley-Woodhouse, now let at 881. per annum, for the education of twelve poor boys. In consequence of the increased value of the lands, there are now twenty-eight scholars on this foundation, who are supplied with clothes and books out of the funds. Mr. Samuel Richardson also gave 400l. to purchase lands now let at 40l. per annum, the rents to be given to fourteen infirm colliers of Smalley, Heanor, and Horsley-Woodhouse, who receive 2l. 16s. each.
MORTON, in the hundred of Scarsdale and deanery of Chesterfield, lies about eight miles from Chesterfield, near the road to Derby. This parish comprises the township of Brackenfield, and part of the village of Wooleymoor.
The manors of Morton and Ogstone were given, in the reign of King Ethelred, by Wulfric Spott, to Burton- Abbey. (fn. n37) When the Survey of Domesday was taken, the manors of Morton and Ogstone (Oughedestune) belonged to Walter Deincourt. Roger Deincourt claimed a park and the right. of having a gallows for the execution of criminals in the manor of Morton, in 1330. (fn. n38) This manor passed with Sutton and other estates of the Deincourt family to the Leakes, in which family it continued till the death of Nicholas Leake, Earl of Scarsdale, in 1736. The Earl's trustees sold it to Henry Thornhill of Chesterfield, Gent., and others, of whom it was purchased, in 1749, by Francis Sitwell, Esq., of Renishaw: under the will of his sister and heir, Mrs. Elizabeth Sitwell, it passed to Richard Staunton Wilmot, eldest son of the Reverend Dr. Richard Wilmot, Canon of Windsor, &c. (who took the name of Sitwell,) and after his death to his next brother, Edward Sachevereil Wilmot, who has taken the name of Sitwell in addition to that of Wilmot, and is the present proprietor.
The parish church contains nothing remarkable. William Turbutt, Esq., and Mrs. Holland of Ford, are joint patrons of the rectory.
In the township of Brackenfield is an ancient chapel of ease, called Trinity chapel, about three quarters of a mile from the village, and about three miles and a half from Morton. It was formerly served only once a month by the rector of Morton, but having been augmented by Queen Anne's bounty, it is now become a distinct benefice, and has regular weekly service. It is not parochial, not having the right of sepulture or baptism: the minister is appointed by the rector of Morton.
The family of Heriz possessed Ogstone and Brackenfield, then called Brackenthwayte, in the reign of King John. Sir Richard Willoughby held Brackenthwayte under the Deincourts in 1369. (fn. n39) About this time Ogstone became the property and seat of the Revels. The sisters and coheiresses of William Revel, Esq., who died in 1706, married Richard Turbutt, Esq., of Doncaster, and Sir Paul Jenkinson, Bart., of Walton near Chesterfield. The whole of this estate is now the property, and Ogstone the seat of William Turbutt, Esq. Mr. Turbutt purchased a moiety of John Woodyeare, Esq., of Crookhill near Doncaster, who married a grand-daughter of Lady Jenkinson. (fn. n40)
MUGGINTON, in the deanery of Derby, lies about seven miles from Derby. The parish comprises the townships of Mercaston and Ravensdale-park, and the small village of Clive in the hundred of Appletree, and the township of Weston-Underwood in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch.
The manors of Mugginton (Mogintune) and Mercaston (Merchenestune) were part of the great estate of Henry de Ferrars, at the time of the Domesday Survey. Mugginton was held under him by Chetel. In the reign of Edward I., the manor and advowson were in moieties between the families of Chandos and Stafford. Chandos's moiety passed by a female heir to the immediate ancestor of Edward Sacheverell Chandos Pole, Esq., the present proprietor. (fn. n41) Stafford's moiety appears to have been in the family of Dethick in the reign of Henry IV. and in that of Rolleston in the reign of Elizabeth. It is now the property of Thomas Hallowes, Esq., of Glapwell, whose ancestor, Nathaniel Hallowes, Esq., purchased it in 1654.
In the parish church is the monument of Richard Kniveton, Esq., 1500; and a memorial for Hugh Radcliffe, haberdasher of hats to King Charles I., who died in 1678; he gave Fox's Acts and Monuments and other books enumerated on the tablet, to the church. The inscription represents him to have been son of Hugh Radčliffe of Mugginton, grandson of Robert Radcliffe of Kings-Newton, and great-grandson of Sir Francis Radcliffe, of Radcliffe-tower in Lancashire. (fn. n42) Bassano's volume of Church Notes mentions some memorials of the families of Ireton and Sanders. (fn. n43)
The church of Mugginton was given by William Dethick, in 1401, to the priory of Breadsall, to which the great tithes were allowed to be appropriated; but it does not appear that the appropriation took place, unless in part. The rectory is now in the patronage of E. S. C. Pole, Esq. Certain lay portions of tithes belong to Thomas Hallowes, Esq., and others; these, it is probable, had been formerly appropriated to Breadsall priory.
The Reverend Samuel Pole, rector of Mugginton, in 1746, gave a moiety of lands at Turndich for the purpose of teaching poor children to read and say the church catechism. Mrs. Frances Pole, in 1751, gave a croft, at Clifton near Ashborne, for the same purpose. The present rental of the Mugginton school is 21l. 55. per annum, exclusively of the profits which are now accruing from a lime-kiln. (fn. n44)
Mercaston was for many generations the property and seat of a younger branch of the Knivetons of Bradley, who were settled here as early as the reign of Edward III. Their descendant, William Kniveton, Esq., was one of the Baronets created by King James I., soon after the institution of the order in 1161. Sir Andrew Kniveton, the third baronet, was a zealous Royalist, and governor of Tutbury-castle for the King. He suffered much in his property, and was obliged to sell most of his estates. The manor of Mercaston was purchased of the Knivetons (fn. n45) by an ancestor of E. S. C. Pole, Esq., of Radborne, who is the present proprietor.
Ravensdale park, which belonged to the Knivetons, was sold by Sir Andrew Kniveton, in 1649, to William Bache, Esq., and by Mr. Bache, in 1673, to Sir John Curzon, Bart., ancestor of the Right Honourable Lord Scarsdale, who is the present proprietor. The manor of Weston-Underwood, which belongs to Lord Scarsdale, was in the Curzon family, at least as early as the year 1410; probably at a much earlier period. Some of the Kniveton family had a house and estate at Weston-Underwood.
Adjoining to this parish is an extra-parochial district called Hulland-ward, comprising Mansell-park, the property of Richard Bateman, Esq., and the village of Intakes, where is a chapel, at which divine service is performed monthly. It is annexed to the church of Mugginton, to which the inhabitants of Intakes resort for parochial rites. On a stone in the gable-end of a house adjoining the chapel is the following inscription, with the date of 1723:
" Francis Brown in hia old age,
Did build him here a hermitage."
It appears, by the entry of his burial in the parish register, that Francis Brown, the founder, died in 1731, having directed that this chapel should be annexed to Mugginton for ever, after the death of his widow, his daughter, and her husband, Edward Allen.