Magna Britannia: Volume 5, Derbyshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1817.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
BONSALL, in the wapentake of Wirksworth and deanery of Ashborne, lies about three miles north of Wirksworth. The village of Slaley is in this parish. The manor of Bonsall (Bunteshalle) is described in the Survey of Domesday, as a hamlet of the manor of Mestesforde, (then in the crown,) the site of which is not known. Edmund Earl of Lancaster, who died in 1296, was seised of the manor of Upper-Bonsall, formerly belonging to the crown, and Nether-Bonsall, which had been parcel of the honor of Tutbury. These manors became united, and continued annexed to the Earldom and Duchy of Lancaster till the year 1630, when King Charles granted the manor of Bonsall to Charles Harbord, Esq. and others, who in 1632 sold it to Henry Earl of Dover. It was purchased of the latter the following year by the copyholders, for whom it has ever since been held on trust. The present trustees are Bache Thornhill, Esq., of Stanton; Samuel Frith, Esq., of Bankhall; and Philip Cell, Esq., of Wirksworth. The family of Hopkinson had a considerable freehold and copyhold estate in this parish, as early as the reign of Henry V. They became extinct the latter end of the seventeenth century. About that time, Henry Ferne, Esq. of Snitterton, Receiver-general of the Customs, became possessed of considerable property in this parish, and by far the largest share of the manor, which is now the inheritance of Alexander Dury, Esq., of Hadley, in the county of Middlesex, son and heir of Major-General Alexander Dury (killed at the siege of St. Cas in 1758,) and Isabel his wife, daughter of Edmund Turner, Esq., of Stoke-Rochford in the county of Lincoln, by Elizabeth his wife, one or the daughters and coheirs of Henry Feme above-mentioned; for whom there is a memorial in the parish church, put up by Diana, relict of B. Langton, Esq., his grand–daughter, and the Executrix of Mrs. Turnor, who died in 1763. Mr. Ferne died in 1723. There is a memorial also in the parish church, for Henry Hopkinson of Lincoln's-Inn, 1634.
The Dean of Lincoln is patron of the rectory.
The earliest benefaction to the charity-school at Bonsall, was that of William Cragge and his wife Elizabeth, who, in 1704, gave a house and 'some land at Bonsall, now let at 7l. 13s. 6d. per annum, for the purpose of educating poor children. Mr. Robert Ferne, of Bonsall, who died in 1718, built the school-house, with a dwelling-house for the master. Mrs. Elizabeth Turnor, his grand–daughter, in the year 1728, endowed the school with certain lands, then valued at 40l. per annum, and now let at 75l. 11s. There are now 60 scholars in the school, 10 of whom are taught by the master in consideration of Cragge's endowment. The master has a salary of 40l. out of Mrs. Tumor's endowment. The sum of 10l. is appropriated to the apprenticing of two poor boys, and the remainder is expended in the purchase of bibles, prayer—books, and the Whole Duty of Man, for the scholars, and keeping the buildings in repair. The Right Honourable Sir Joseph Banks, Bart. G.C.B. Edmund Tumor, Esq. and the Reverend George Tumor, (the two latter being descendants of Mr. Robert Ferne,) are the present trustees.
BOYLSTONE, in the hundred of Appletree and Deanery of Castillar, lies about 13 miles from Derby, which is the post-office town, about seven from Ashborne, and seven from Uttoxeter.
The village of Harehill is in this parish.
The manor of Boylstone (Boilestune) is described in the Domesday Survey as one of the manors of Henry de Ferrars; it had belonged in the reign of Edward the Confessor, to Godric and Levenot. The coheiresses of Reginald, who possessed this manor soon after the Conquest, (and held probably under Ferrars,) married Ridware and Grendon: their posterity held the manor in moieties, which afterwards became separate manors. The manor of Boylstone, or as it was called at a later period, Cottons, was conveyed by Ridware to John de Bassinges, whose heiress married Waldeshef: one of the coheiresses of the latter brought it again to the Ridwares, and the heiress of Ridware to the Cottons. The last-mentioned family possessed this manor for several generations. The coheiresses, in the reign of Henry VII., married Fitzherbert, Venables, and Grosvenor. Sir Humphrey Ferrers died seised of this manor in 1609: the Chaloners purchased of Ferrers in 1664. The Reverend Thomas Gilbert, who married the heiress of Chaloner, sold this manor to John Gilbert Cooper, Esq. in 1743; Mr. Gilbert repurchased in 1746, and in 1751 sold to Henry Tatam; the latter devised it to the Reverend Thomas Manlove, whose widow, Mrs. Susanna Manlove, is the present proprietor.
The other manor continued for a considerable time in the Grendon family. Roger de Saperton inherited it on the death of Margaret Seuche in 1362. (fn. n1) In the early part of Queen Elizabeth's reign it was in the Agards, who, in the reign of Charles II., sold it to Mr. John Gisborne. It was afterwards in the Bates, and is now the property of Charles Broadhurst, Esq., whose father purchased it of the late Brownlow Bate, Esq. in the year 1784.
In the parish church are memorials of William Chaloner, Esq., 1675; Thomas Chawner, Esq., of Lees hall, in Church-Broughton, 1773; and, Herbert Croft, Esq., of the Six Clerks' office, 1785.
The Reverend Thomas Gell, the present incumbent, is patron of the rectory.
There was formerly a chantry at Boylestone, founded by Walter Waldeshef in 1353: the endowment was valued, in 1547, at 81. per annum. (fn. n2)
Bradbourn or Bradborne
BRADBOURN or BRADBORNE, in the wapentake of Wirksworth and deanery of Ashborne, lies about five miles north from Ashborne. The parish comprises the hamlets of Aldwark, Nether-Bradborne, and Lea-hall; and the parochial chapelries of Atlow, Balidon, Brassington, and Tissington. Atlow is in the hundred of Appletree.
The manor of Bradborne was one of those belonging to Henry de Ferrars at the time of the Domesday Survey. It was held under the Ferrars family, at an early period, by that of Cawz, or de Cauceis. In the reign of King John, Sir Geoffrey de Cauceis conveyed it to Godard de Bradborne. Henry de Bradborne, eldest son of Sir Roger, was executed at Pomfret in 1322, for his adherence to Thomas Earl of Lancaster. (fn. n3) The manor of Bradborne continued in the posterity of his younger brother, John, till the latter end of Queen Elizabeth's reign, when it was sold to Sir Humphrey Ferrers. The late George Marquis Townshend, who inherited from the Ferrers family, sold this manor, in 1809, to Philip Gell, Esq. M.P., of Hopton-hall, who is the present proprietor.
In the parish church are memorials of the family of Buckston or Buxton, (1643–1793.)
The church of Bradborne was given by Sir Geoffrey de Cauceis, in 1205, to the priory of Dunstaple; which gift was confirmed by William de Ferrars, Earl of Derby, as chief lord of the fee. It was appropriated to the priory in 1278, and a vicarage was endowed in 1330. (fn. n4) The rectory of Bradborne was granted, in 1608, to Rogers and Fetherston, of whom most of the tithes were purchased by the several land owners. The rectory-house and glebelands were purchased, in 1609, of Wright and Stapleton by Mr. George Buxton, ancestor and name-sake of the present proprietor and vicar of Bradborne, whose father first wrote the family name Buckston. The Rectory-house is in the occupation of John Goodwin Johnson, Esq. The Duke of Devonshire is patron of the vicarage.
Among the ancient fees due to the vicar, as specified in one of the parish—registers, is the following, " For a christening, either the chrisom, or 5d."
The manor of Aldwark was given to the monks of Darley by Sewall, son of Fulcher, ancestor of the Shirley family. Queen Elizabeth granted it to James Hardwick, Esq., and his heiress brought it to Sir William Cavendish, ancestor of the Duke of Devonshire, who is the present proprietor.
Aldwark-grange, which had belonged also to the monks of Darley, was granted by King Edward VI., in 1548, to Sir Thomas Heneage and Lord Willoughby, who sold it the next year to Robert Goz or Goch: by successive conveyances it passed to the families of Curzon and Manners. John Manners, Esq., procured a fresh grant of it in 1603; and it is now the property of his descendant, the Duke of Rutland.
Robert, Earl Ferrars, founded an oratory at Aldwark, with a cemetery (fn. n5), of which there are scarcely any traces.
The great tithes of Aldwark belong to the Duke of Devonshire.
Bret-Griffe otherwise Griffe-Grange, lies principally in this parish: having belonged to the abbot and convent of Dale, it was granted, in 1546, to Ralph Gell, Esq., ancestor of Philip Gell, Esq. M.P., of Hopton hall, the present proprietor.
Hough or How-grange, in this parish, is the property of Robert Dale, Esq., of Ashborne, whose great-grandfather, Mr. Thurston Dale, purchased it of the Eyres of Hassop in 1701.
Lea-hall was the property and seat of the Bradbornes. William Bradborne sold it with his other estates to Sir Humphrey Ferrers. In or before 1679, Mr. Samuel Swann of Hurdlow purchased it of John Ferrers, Esq. It is now the property of John Sanders, Esq. of Basford in Nottinghamshire, in right of his wife, sister and heiress of the late Mr. Samuel Swann, of that place.
Moldridge or Moldrich-grange, in this parish, is supposed to have been given by the Herthills to the abbey of Gerendon in Leicestershire, between which monastery and the priory of Dunstaple, there was a law-suit concerning this estate. The monks at Dunstaple at length purchased it of the abbot and convent of Gerendon, about the year 1250. This estate was granted by King Henry VIII., in 1544, to Rowland Babington, Esq. It passed by sale, in 1557, to Henry Sacheverell. In 1582, Jane Sacheverell, widow, left it to William Ireton, Esq., son of her first husband German Ireton, Esq.: in 1577, it was conveyed by William Ireton to Sir Humphrey Bradborne. Some time afterwards it passed to the Milwards of Snitterton, and on the death of Colonel Milward of that place, in 1669, Mary his daughter and coheiress brought it to the Jennens family. It is now, under the will of the late Charles Jennens, Esq., of GopsaJl, the property (fn. n6) of the Honourable Charles Finch, second son of Heneage, the late Earl of Aylesford.
Revestanes or Riston-grange, in this parish, called in some records, Ravendon-grange, was given to the abbey of Gerendon by Adam de Hert hill, in the year 1219. King Henry VIII. granted it with Moldridge to Rowland Babington, it afterwards belonged to the Cokaines, (fn. n7) and is now the property of William Webster, Esq., of Ashborne. This gentleman took the name of Webster, pursuant to the will of the late owner, John Taylor, of Ashborne, L.L.D., (the friend of Dr. Johnson,) who had inherited it from the family of Webster.
The parochial chapel of Atlow lies about three miles east from Ashborne. The manor of Atlow, the Etelawe of Domesday, was one of the numerous manors belonging to Henry de Ferrars. It was held under him or his immediate heirs by the ancestor of the ancient family of Okeover, of Oke over, in Staffordshire; and is now the property of Rowland Farmer Okeover, Esq.
The chapel was augmented, in 1716, by Richard Okeover, Esq., with the tithes of hay and corn; and it was the first benefice in Derbyshire that was augmented by Queen Anne's bounty. Mr. Okeover presents the minister.
Ballidon, a parochial chapelry, lies about six miles from Ashborne, and five from Wirksworth.
The manor of Ballidon (Belidene), was at the time of taking the Domesday survey, the property of Ralph Fitzhubert. At a later period, it was for some generations in the family of Herthill, or Harthill, whose heiress brought it to the Cokaines about the beginning of the fifteenth century. A younger branch of the last-mentioned family was for some time settled at Ballidon. Sir Edward Cokaine, about the latter end of Queen Elizabeth's reign, sold this manor to Sir Anthony Ashley, who soon afterwards conveyed it to Baptist Trott and John Milward. Trott's moiety was sold, in 1610, to Nicholas Hurt, and was, eventually, divided into severalties. Milward's moiety was subdivided also amongst the coheiresses of his son. A part of it came to the Boothby family, and having passed by marriage and gift to Matthew Vernon, of London, silk-mercer, was by him bequeathed, from motives of political attachment, to William Murray, Earl of Mansfield.
The vicar of Bradborne appoints the minister of the chapel.
Brassington, which has a parochial chapel, lies about six miles from Ashborne, and four from Wirksworth. There are two manors in Brass ington, one of these, which at the time of the Domesday Survey belonged to Henry de Ferrars, was given in frank marriage by one of the first Earls of Derby to an ancestor of the Furnivals (fn. n8), from whom it passed by female heirs to the Nevills and Talbots. On the death of Gilbert Earl of Shrews bury, in 1628, it passed to his daughters and coheiresses, married to William Earl of Pembroke, Henry Earl of Kent, and Thomas Earl of Arundel, The Earl and Countess of Kent, in 1639, conveyed one-third of this manor; and in 1640, Philip Earl of Pembroke, being possessed of his mother's and the Earl of Arundel's share, conveyed the remaining two-thirds to Mr. William Savile, whose grandson, John Gilbert Cooper, Esq. sold it, in 1749, to Henry Coape, Esq., of Duffield: on the death of Mr. Coape's grandson, it devolved to his cousin Henry Sherbrooke, Esq., of Oxton in Nottinghamshire: William Sherbrooke, Esq., now of Oxton, being possessed of this estate by the bequest of his aunt, the late Mrs. Sherbrooke, sold it, in 1804, to Robert Lowe, Esq., who is the present lord of this manor, but has sold the landed property in parcels.
The other manor, called the King's or the Duchy manor, having been parcel of the Duchy of Lancaster, was granted by King Charles I., in 1630, to Charles Harbord, Esq., and others, who, in 1632, conveyed it to Edward and George Pegge and George Lees. A moiety of this manor having been purchased partly, in 1649, of Henry Buxton, and partly, in 1652, of Edward Pegge and others, passed with Furnival's manor to Mr. Lowe, and has been since sold to Thomas Hayne, Esq., who is the present proprietor. The other moiety belonged sometime to the Newtons of Ashborne-green: it is now the joint property of the infant daughter of the late John Hayne, Esq., whose mother was one of the coheiresses of Newton, and William Locker, Esq., who married the other coheiress.
In the chapel at Brassington is the monument of Michael Adams, S. T.B., rector of Treton in Yorkshire, " quern forte hinc itinerant, dum rigor foris sæviebat hiemalis, sævior arripuit intus febris calor inextinguibilis et igneo (ad instar Elijæ) vehiculo ad sedes D'ni evexit. Ob. 1680."
The impropriate rectory of Brassington belonged, in the year 1612, to Mr. Robert Gale, citizen and vintner of London, who, by his will of that date, charged this estate, and his estate at Claypole in Lincolnshire, with the payment of 20l. per annum to Christ's Hospital; 20l. to Corpus Christi College in Oxford; (fn. n9) 22l. to Chippenham in Wiltshire; and 20l. to the Vintners' Company.— The rectory of Brassington belonged some time to the Bainbrigge family; from whom it passed, by bequest, to the Rev. Philip Story, now of Lockington-hall, in Leicestershire. Mr. Gale's immediate heir, on whose estate the payments were originally charged, was George Lacock. (fn. n10)
An act for inclosing lands in this chapelry passed in the year 1803, when an allotment was made in lieu of tithes to Mr. Story, the impropriator, who is also patron of the chapel. Brassington chapel was augmented, in 1812, by Queen Anne's Bounty, and in 1814, had a parliamentary grant of 1200l.
Mr. Thurston Dale, in 1742, gave the long close, now let for about 81. per annum, to a school-master, for instructing twelve poor children of this chapelry. The children are nominated by the heirs of the founders, who appoint a master or mistress.
The parochial chapel of Tissington lies about three miles and a half from Ashborne. The manor of Tissington (Tizinctun) belonged, when the survey of Domesday was taken, to Henry de Ferrars. In the reign of Henry I. it was given by one of the Ferrars family to the Savages. The co-heiresses of Savage married Meynell and Edensor (fn. n11), whose heiress seems to have married Audley. The manor was in moieties between Meynell and Audley, from 1275 till 1330 (fn. n12), if not longer. Meynell's moiety passed, by marriage, to Francis, whose heiress brought it to Nicholas, a younger son of John Fitzherbert, Esq., of Somersall. The other moiety came to the Herthulls, and passed by marriage to the Cokaines; it was sold by the latter to Francis Fitzherbert, Esq. about the end of Queen Elizabeth's reign. Wm. Fitzherbert, Esq., of Tissington, barrister-at-law, author of a tract, called " Maxims," and a Dialogue on the Revenue Laws, was created a baronet in 1783. Tissington is now the property, and Tissington-hall the seat, of his younger son, Sir Henry Fitzherbert, Bart, who succeeded his elder brother Sir Anthony, in title and estate, in 1799. Alleyne Fitzherbert, younger brother of Sir William, was in 1801 created Baron St. Helens.
Tissington-hall was garrisoned for the King by its owner, Colonel Fitzherbert, in the month of December, 1643. On the event of the unsuccessful action near Ashborne, in the month of February following, it was evacuated. (fn. n13)
In the chapel are several monuments of the Fitzherbert family (fn. n14), and a memorial for Elizabeth, widow of Richard Breton, Esq. of Elmsthorp, in Leicestershire, 1659.
Sir Henry Fitzherbert is impropriator of the tithes which belonged to the priory of Dunstaple, and patron of the donative curacy. Tissington is now generally esteemed a separate parish.
The Reverend Richard Graves, author of the Spiritual Quixote, and other works, resided three years in Mr. Fitzherbert's family; and has laid some of the scenes of that amusing romance in the neighbourhood of Tissington. The manor of the Lea belongs to Sir Henry Fitzherbert.
Mrs. Frances Fitzherbert, in 1735, gave four pounds per annum for the instructing nine poor children (fn. n15); and Mrs. Catherine Port, the same year, 5l. per annum, for instructing ten children.
BRADLEY, in the hundred of Appleby, and deanery of Ashborne, lies about three miles east of Ashborne. At the time of the Domesday Survey, the manor of Bradley belonged to Henry de Ferrars: at a very early period it became the property and seat of the ancient family of Kniveton.— Upon the extinction of the elder branch, Bradley passed to Sir Gilbert Kniveton, Bart, of Mercaston, whose father had been created a baronet in 1611, and whose ancestors had been settled at Mercaston for several generations, On succeeding to the Bradley estate, Sir Gilbert removed his residence thither. His successor, Sir Andrew, who had suffered much in his fortune by the civil war, sold Bradley, in 1655, to Francis Meynell, alderman of London, ancestor of Godfrey Meynell, Esq. the present proprietor. The old hall at Bradley, which had been the seat of the Knivetons, was pulled down many years ago, and stables and offices built for an intended new mansion. The late Hugo Meynell, Esq. fitted up the stables as a dwelling house, and it is now the residence of his son, Godfrey Meynell, Esq.
BRAILSFORD, in the hundred of Appletree and deanery of Castillar, lies about six miles north-east from Ashborne, and seven from Derby. The parish contains the hamlets of Over-Burrows or Burroughs, Culland, and Ednaston, and the parochial chapelry of Osmaston. The manor of Brailsford, which, in the reign of the Confessor had belonged to Earl Wallef, was one of those given by William the Conqueror to Henry de Ferrars, under whom it was held by Elsin, or Alsin, ancestor of the ancient family of Brailsford. Henry de Brailsford was fined in the reign of Edward I. for refusing to be made a knight. The heiress of Sir Henry de Brailsford, who was living in 1380, brought this estate to Sir John Bassett, of Cheadle, in Staffordshire. Sir Ralph Shirley, who died about the year 1443, married the heiress of Bassett, of Cheadle and Brailsford; Sir Ralph Shirley his son, who died in 1466, was buried at Brailsford, where the remains of his monument with a mutilated inscription are still to be seen. The late Earl Ferrers sold the manor of Brailsford, with several farms, to Mr. John Webster, a banker in Derby: on his becoming a bankrupt, this estate was sold to W. Drury Lowe, Esq. of Locko, of whom it was purchased by the late Charles Upton, Esq. of Derby; the widow of the latter is the present owner.
The manor of Over-Burrows with, the adjoining hamlet of Nether-Burrows, in Langley, belonged from an early period to the Bradbornes, by whom they were sold to the Ferrers family, about the year 1600. Over-Bur rows-hall and estate is the property and residence of Mr. William Osborne, in whose family it has been for nearly two centuries. The manor continued in the Ferrers family till sold by the late Earl Ferrers to Mr. Cox, of Culland.
Culland belonged, in the reign of Henry VII., to the family of Shaw; Thomas Shaw died seised of it in 1498. Immediately after this, it appears to have passed to the Drapers; the last of whom, Richard Draper, Esq., died in the year 1683, leaving three daughters. A division of the estate took place, in 1709, when two-thirds were allotted to Mr. George Newell, who married a grand-daughter. (fn. n18) He afterwards became possessed of the remaining third; and sold the whole to John Port, Esq., of Ilam, of whose descendant it was purchased, in 1794, by William Cox, Esq., and is now his property and residence. The manerial rights were sold by the late Earl Ferrers to Charles Upton, Esq., of whom they were purchased by Mr. Cox.
The manor of Ednaston, which had been given to the priory of Tutbury by Robert Earl Ferrars the elder (fn. n19), was granted by Henry VIII., in 1540, to Sir John Giffard. In 1542, it was conveyed to Francis Shirley, Esq., ancestor of the Honourable Washington Shirley, the present proprietor, whose son resides at Ednaston-hall.
In the parish church is the monument of William Leaper Smith, Esq., 1803. Earl Ferrers is patron of the Rectory.
The parochial chapel of Osmaston lies about four miles from Brailsford. The manor of Osmaston (Osmundestune) was held with Brailsford under Henry de Ferrars, at the time of the Domesday survey. Alsin de Brails ford gave it to the priory of Tutbury, and it was confirmed by Robert Earl Ferrars, the younger. After this Odinel de Ford, as appears by a deed in the register of Tutbury prior (fn. n20), had a dispute with the prior and convent concerning this manor, and in the event, it was agreed, that the right should be in the prior and convent, and that Odinel and his heirs should hold it of them, paying an annual rent of 30s. By another deed, which, as well as the former, is without date, Robert de Ruhull gave them the manor (terram) of Osmaston, which came to him by his wife Emona, sister of Henry de Ruhull, which Henry is mentioned in the first-mentioned deed. Matthew Kniveton died seised of the manor of Osmaston in 1562. It appears to have since passed with the Bradley estate, and is now the property of Godfrey Meynell, Esq.
The chapel, at which the rites of baptism and burial are performed is served by the curate of Brailsford as a chapel of ease. It was determined, in the year 1406, that the rector of Brailsford was bound to provide a minister for this chapel.
BREADSALL, in the hundred of Appletree and deanery of Derby, lies about three miles north-east from Derby.
At this place was a priory of friers-hermits, founded in the reign of Henry III., and afterwards converted into a priory of Austin monks. The revenues of this small monastery, in which, at the time of its dissolution. there was not a single monk, except the prior, were valued at only 10l. 17s. 9d. clear yearly income.
The site of Breadsall priory with the adjoining lands, called in some records, the manor of Breadsall park, was granted by Edward VI., in 1552, to Henry Duke of Suffolk, who conveyed it the same year to Thomas Babington, The latter gave it, in 1557, to Thomas Hutchinson; and in 1573, we find it the property of John Leake. Sir John Bentley died seised of Breadsall priory in 1622; his daughter, and eventually sole heiress, Elizabeth, married Sir Gervase Cutler; Mary, daughter of the latter, brought Breadsall to Sir Edward Mosely, Bart.; after the death of Sir Edward Mosely, the son, it passed to Sir Edward Mosely, of Hulme, Knight. The daughter of the last-mentioned Sir Edward, brought it to Sir John Bland, Bart., of Kippax-park, whose son, Sir John, sold it, in 1702, to Thomas Leacroft, Esq.; Mr. Leacroft sold it, in 1703, to Mr. Andrew Greensmith. In the year 1799 the late Erasmus Darwin, Esq, of Derby, purchased it of Mr. Herbert Greensmith Beard and his brothers, to whom it had been conveyed by the devisees in trust of Herbert Greensmith, Esq., who died in 1788. Mr. Darwin died soon after his purchase, having bequeathed the priory to his father, the well known physician and poet, who, after his son's death, removed to Breadsall, where he spent the last years of his life and died April 18, 1802. Breadsall Priory is now the property and residence of his widow.
The manor of Breadsall, (Braideshale) was given by Wulfric Spott to Burton abbey, in the reign of King Ethelred. (fn. n21) It appears to have reverted to lay hands, and to have been possessed in the Confessor's reign, by Siward. At the time of the Domesday Survey, it was held under Henry de Ferrars by Robert. This Robert, Mr. Blore supposes to have been ancestor of Robert de Dunne, who possessed the manor of Breadsall about the reign of King John. (fn. n22) The grand-daughter of this Robert brought a moiety of the manor to Henry de Curzon; the heiress of Thomas de Curzon, about the .latter end of the fourteenth century, married William Dethick. About the year 1600, the heiress of Dethick brought this estate, called the manor of Breadsall-Overhall, to John Harpur, Esq., (a younger son of Harpur of Swarkston, who died in 1622): having passed to the elder branch of that family, it is now the property of Sir Henry Crewe, Bart.
The other moiety of Breadsall was given at an early period by Robert de Dunne to his younger son, Sampson (fn. n23), and formed the manor of Breadsall. Netherhall, which was afterwards successively in the families of Ferrars and the Lords Cromwell. In the year 1464, it was conveyed by Humphrey Bourchier, Lord Cromwell to Richard Illingworth, Chief Baron of the Exchequer, whose grandson left four daughters, coheiresses; one of these having married John Dethick, Esq., of Breadsall, brought this manor to her husband; since which time, the manors of Breadsall-Overhall and Breadsall-Netherhall have been united.
In the parish church are monuments of Erasmus Darwin, M.B., and of his son, Erasmus Darwin, Esq., who died in 1799. On the former is the following inscription, " Erasmus Darwin, M.B., F. R.S., born at Elston near Newark, 12 December, 1731, died at the priory near Derby, 18 April, 1802. Of the rare union of talents which so eminently distinguished him as a Physician, a Poet, and a Philosopher, his writings remain a public and unfading testimony. His widow has erected this monument, in memory of the zealous benevolence of his disposition, the active humanity of his conduct, and the many private virtues which adorned his character."
The rectory of Breadsall is in the patronage of Sir Henry Crewe, Bart. An act of parliament for inclosing lands in this parish passed in 1815, when allotments were given in lieu of tithes.
John Hieron, a puritan divine of some note, born at Stapenhill, where his father was vicar, was presented to this rectory by Sir John Gell, in 1644, and continued to possess it till he was ejected for nonconformity in 1662. After a short residence in some other places, he removed, in 1668, to Loscoe, where he died in 1682, and was buried at Heanor. Mr. Hieron was esteemed an able biblical critic, and abridged Pole's Synopsis, but published only a volume of sermons and a theological work, the title of which is not men tioned in his life. He appears to have meditated a Parochial History of Derbyshire, for which he made considerable collections from records, now in the possession of Godfrey Meynell, Esq. of Langley-park.
There is a charity school at Breadsall for 16 children, endowed by the Reverend John Clayton, sometime rector, with the interest of 200l. The school-house was built by Sir Henry Harpur, Bart., in 1788.
CHURCH-BROUGHTON, in the hundred of Appletree and deanery of Castillar, lies about ten miles west from Derby. The hamlet or village of Saperton or Sapperton is in this parish.
The manor of Broughton, which had been given by Robert de Ferrars, the elder, to the priory of Tutbury (fn. n24) was granted by King Edward VI., in 1552, to Sir William Cavendish, and is now the property of his descendant, the Duke of Devonshire.
The manor of Sapperton (Sapertune) was held by Roger, under Henry de Ferrars, at the time of the Domesday Survey. In the reign of Edward III. it appears to have been in the family of Makeley; afterwards successively in the Blounts (fn. n25), (Lords Mountjoy,) and the Agards. In the year 1675, John Agard, Esq. sold this manor to Richard Bate, Esq., of whose descendant, Brownlow Bate, Esq., it was purchased, in 1784, by John Broadhurst, Esq. father of Charles Broadhurst, Esq., the present proprietor. The demesnes of the manor of Sapperton with the ancient hall were sold by the Agards to the family of Wolley. About the year 1670, the daughter of Adam Wolley brought it to Thomas Yates, Esq. ancestor of Henry Yates, Esq., who now resides at the hall; but the estate was sold some years ago, and is now, by a recent purchase, the property of Edmund Evans, Esq., of Derby.
The rectory of Church-Broughton was formerly appropriated to the priory of Tutbury. The benefice is now a vicarage, endowed with the great tithes. The patronage is claimed by Charles Broadhurst, Esq.
A charity school at this place was founded, about the year 1745, by a subscription of the freeholders, with which lands were purchased, now let for about 30l. per annum. The Duke of Devonshire was the principal benefactor.
Burton on Trent
BURTON ON TRENT. A part of this parish lies on the north side of the Trent, in the county of Derby, intermixed with the parish of Stapenhill. The township and manor of Winshull or Winshill, in this part of the parish, belonged to the monastery of Burton, and having been granted, after the dissolution, to the first Lord Paget, is now the property of his descendant, the Marquis of Anglesea.
In this parish also, on the Derbyshire side of the Trent, is the manor or farm of Brislingcote or Brisingcote, which belonged to the Hortons in the reign of Henry VI. At this place, now the property of the Earl of Chester field, is a house of singular construction, built about the year 1700, by the then Earl, and sometime inhabited by his son, Lord Stanhope. It is now a farm-house.