Magna Britannia: Volume 6, Devonshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1822.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Prideaux, of Netherton, 1622. — This ancient family was originally of Prideaux castle, in Cornwall. A younger branch settled at Orchardton, in the parish of Modbury, in this county, in the reign of Henry III. The elder line of the Orchardton branch became extinct in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. A younger son of this branch settled at Adeston, in Holbeton, and afterwards removed to Theoborough, or Thuborough, in Sutcomb. Before the separation from the Orchardton branch, the heiresses of Treverbin and Clifford, and daughters of Mortimer, Earl of March, and Montacute, Earl of Salisbury, had married into this family. Sir John, second son of Sir Piercy Prideaux, of Orchardton, Knight Banneret, acquired Adeston, by his marriage with the heiress of Adeston: his son married the heiress of Gavestone, his grandson, the heiress of Bromford; his great grandson the heiress of Giffard, of Thuborough. Sir Richard Prideaux, sixth in descent from Sir John above mentioned, had two sons, William of Thuborough (fn. n1), and Roger of Soldon, in the parish of Holsworthy. This Roger had two sons, Nicholas (fn. n2), and Edmund, an eminent lawyer, who purchased Netherton, and was created a baronet in 1622. The second wife of Sir Edmund Prideaux, the fourth baronet, (who died in 1719,) was a co-heiress of Saunderson of Lincolnshire. Sir Edmund, the fifth baronet, had two daughters co-heiresses, married to Winstanley of Leicestershire, and Basset of Tehidy, in Cornwall. Sir John Prideaux, half-brother of Edmund, was the sixth baronet, and was succeeded by his grandson, Sir John Wilmot Prideaux, the present baronet.
A younger branch of Prideaux of Netherton, being descended from a younger son of the first baronet, who married a co-heiress of Franceis of Comb Flory, in Somersetshire, was of Ford Abbey. The heiress of this branch, in 1690, married Gwynn.
Arms: — Arg. a chevron, S., a label of three points.
Crest: — On a cap of dignity, a Saracen's head, couped at the shoulders, looking sideways, Proper.
Wrey, of Tawstock, 1628. — The ancestors of this ancient family were originally of Wrey, in the parish of Moreton Hampstead, whence they removed to North Russel (fn. n3), and afterwards, in consequence of a marriage with the heiress of Killigrew, to Trebigh, in Cornwall. Sir William Wrey was described of Trebigh, when created a baronet, in 1628. At an earlier period, the heiresses of Holway and Norris had married into this family. Sir Chichester Wrey, the second baronet, married the Countess Dowager of Middlesex, who was one of the co-heiresses of Edward Bourchier, Earl of Bath. (fn. n4) In consequence of this marriage, he became possessed of Tawstock, in Devonshire, the present seat of the family, and other estates in the county. Sir Bourchier Wrey, the third baronet, was a distinguished military officer. His grandson, Sir Bourchier, is the present and sixth baronet.
Arms: — Sable, a fesse between three pole-axes, Argent, helved, Gules.
Crest of Wrey: — An arm embowed, habited, S. the hand, Proper, holding a hatchet, Arg., helved, G.
The present baronet uses the crest of Bourchier, and bears the arms of Plantagenet, Bourchier, and Bohun, quartered with Wrey. (fn. n5)
Pole, of Shute, 1628. — Arthur Pole, ancestor of this ancient family who settled in Devonshire in the reign of Richard II., was a younger son of Pole or Poole, of Poole, in the hundred of Wirral, in Cheshire. This Arthur married the heiress of Pole of Honiton. (fn. n6) Sir William Pole, fifth in descent from Arthur, was the industrious and learned collector of the valuable materials for a history of his native county, which were published by his descendant, the late Sir John William De la Pole, in 1791. He married a co-heiress of Chief Baron Periam. His eldest son, John, was created a baronet in the lifetime of his father, and died in 1635. Periam Pole, a younger son of Sir William, was ancestor of the Poles of Ireland, of whom the late William Pole, Esq. (fn. n7), was the representative. Sir William Templer Pole (fn. n8), the present baronet, is the seventh in succession.
Arms: — Azure, semée-de-lis, Or, a lion rampant, Argent.
Crest: — A lion's gamb, G., armed, Or.
Bampfylde, of Poltimore, July 14. 1641. — John Baumfield, ancestor of this family, acquired Poltimore, in the reign of Edward I.; his father married the heiress of Faber, and the pedigree is traced two generations higher. John Baumfield, the fifth in descent from John, who settled at Poltimore, married the heiress of Pederton, and had two sons, the younger of whom was ancestor of the Bampfyldes of Hardington, in Somersetshire, (his mother's inheritance,) extinct about the beginning of the eighteenth century. William, the great grandson of the last-mentioned John, married a co-heiress of St. Maure. John Bampfylde, Esq., the sixth in descent from William, was created a baronet in 1641. He married one of the coheiresses of the elder branch of Copleston. Sir Richard Warwick Bampfylde, the late baronet, married the heiress of Codrington, by the heiress of Gorges of Wraxall, in Somersetshire; his son, Sir Charles Warwick Bampfylde, is the fifth baronet, and the seventeenth in lineal descent from John Baumfield, who first acquired Poltimore.
Arms: — Or, on a bend, G., three mullets, Arg.
Crest: — On a wreath a lion's head, erased, Sab., ducally crowned, G.
Northcote, of Hayne, July 16. 1641. — This family derives its descent from Galfridus de Northcote, who possessed Northcote, in the parish of East Downe, in the twelfth century. After many descents, during which the heiresses or co-heiresses of Hilion, Meols, Hawkworthy, Guamed or Mamhede, and Passmere, married into the family, Walter Northcote acquired Hayne, in the parish of Newton St. Cyres, by marriage with the heiress of Drew. This Walter left a daughter and heiress, married to Yarde. John Northcote, elder son of his brother John, was created a baronet, in 1641; he married the heiress of Haswell; his son, Sir Arthur, the heiress of Welsh. Sir Henry, the fifth baronet, married the heiress of Stafford, of Pynes, in the parish of Upton Pyne, now the seat of the family. His son, Sir Stafford Henry Northcote, is the sixth and present baronet.
Arms: — Quarterly, 1. and 4., Arg., a fesse between three crosses molines, Sab. 2. and 3., Arg., three crosses in bend, S.
Crest: — Upon a cap of dignity, a stag trippant, Arg.
Chichester, of Ralegh, August 4. 1641. — This family is said to have taken its name from Cirencester, in Gloucestershire, the residence of its remote ancestors. The first person of the family mentioned by Prince is Waleran de Cirencester, great-grandfather of Sir Thomas de Cirencester (fn. n9), who was lord of the manor of St. Mary Church, in the reign of Henry III. Richard, great grandson of Sir Thomas, is said to have been the first of the family who wrote his name Chichester. Sir John Chichester, grandson of Richard, married the heiress of Ralegh, of Ralegh, in the parish of Pilton. John, son of Sir John, married the heiress of Woolton, or Wotton, of Widworthy. Richard, a younger son of this John, was ancestor of the Chichesters of Hall. (fn. n10) John, great-grandson of the last-mentioned John, married the heiress of Beaumont, of Youlston: by a second wife, he had two sons, ancestors of the Chichesters of Arlington (fn. n11) and Widworthy. Edward, son of the first wife, married a daughter of Bourchier, Earl of Bath. His son, Sir John, was father of Sir John Chichester of Ralegh, who died of the gaol-fever, so fatal at the assizes at Exeter, in 1585; Arthur Chichester, Lord Deputy of Ireland, created Lord Belfast, who died without issue; Sir Edward Chichester of Eggesford, created Viscount Carrickfergus, ancestor of the present Marquis of Donegal; and other children. Sir Robert Chichester, K. B., son of Sir John Chichester of Ralegh, married one of the co-heiresses of Lord Harington of Exeter, by whom he had an only daughter, married to an ancestor of the Earl of Aylesbury. John Chichester, Esq., of Ralegh, his son by a second wife, was created a baronet in 1641. Sir John Chichester, the fifth baronet, who died in 1784, married one of the co-heiresses of Sir George Chudleigh, Bart. Sir Arthur Chichester of Youlston, cousin (fn. n12) of the late Sir John Chichester, is the present and seventh baronet.
Arms: — Checky, Or, and G., a chief Vaire.
Crest: — On a wreath, a heron rising with an eel in his beak, Proper.
Davie, of Creedy, Sept. 9. 1641. — The original name of this family was De la Way, taken from a place called Way or Wey, in the parish of St. Giles, which was their ancient inheritance, and which the heiress of Walter De la Way brought at a very early period to the Pollards. In process of time, the name of the younger branch, which continued the male line, was altered to Dewey, De Vye, or Davy. (fn. n13) Robert de Via, or Davye, in the early part of the fourteenth century married the heiress of Owlacombe. The heiress of Upcot of Upcot, in Beaford, married into this family also at an early period. They flourished for many years at Upcot, and at Ebberleigh and Owlacombe or Oldacombe, both in Roborough.
William Davie, Esq., was member for Barnstaple in 1446; his son Richard had two sons, William the elder, who continued at Ebberleigh (fn. n14), and Robert, who settled at Crediton. This Robert married the heiress of Thomas, by the heiress of Bardolph, and had four sons, John, ancestor of the Davies of Crediton; Gilbert, ancestor of the Davies of Canon Teign (fn. n15); Lawrence, ancestor of the Davies of Medland (fn. n16); and John, ancestor of the Davies of Creedy. This last-mentioned John was mayor of Exeter in 1584, and in that year entertained Don Antonio, King of Portugal: his son of the same name was created a baronet in 1641. The second wife of Sir John Davie, the third baronet, was a co-heiress of Reynell, by a co-heiress of Periam. Sir William Davie, his successor, was the son of a younger son of the first baronet; he also dying without male issue, the title went to John, son of Humphrey, youngest son of the first Baronet. This Sir John was great-great grandfather of Sir John Davie of Creedy, the present and ninth baronet.
Arms: — Arg. a chevron, S., between three mullets pierced, Gules.
Crest: — A holy lamb.
Acland, of Columbjohn, 1644. — This ancient family derived its name from Aclana, or Akeland, (i. e. Oakland,) in the parish of Landkey, which had been their property and residence for sixteen descents at the time of the last heralds' visitation, in 1620. Before the year 1500, the heiresses or co-heiresses of Leigh, (of Leigh in Loxbeare,) Hawkridge, Riverton, and Hakworthy, had married into the family. John Acland, who lived about the latter end of the fifteenth, or the beginning of the sixteenth century, had two sons, the younger of whom, Anthony, left posterity settled at Hawkridge, and afterwards at Fremington. (fn. n17) John, grandson of the lastmentioned John, (in the elder line,) married a co-heiress of Radcliffe, and had two sons, the younger of whom, Sir John Acland, is recorded by Prince for his extensive charities, and his benefactions to his native county and to the university of Oxford. He built the house at Columbjohn, which was some time the chief seat of the family.
Sir Arthur Acland, son of Hugh, elder brother of Sir John, and heir to his father and uncle, married the heiress of Malet of Wooley. John (son of Sir Arthur) was a zealous royalist, and garrisoned his house at Columbjohn for the King. He was created a baronet in 1644, but the patent not having been made out, it was confirmed to his younger son Hugh (fn. n18), in 1677, with precedency from the date of the former patent. Sir Hugh Acland, the sixth baronet, (being grandson of the last-mentioned Hugh,) married a co-heiress of Sir Thomas Wroth, Bart. A younger son of this Sir Hugh settled at Fairfield in Somersetshire. (fn. n19) Sir Thomas Acland, the seventh baronet, married the heiress of Dyke of Somersetshire, and was succeeded by his grandson John, son of the brave Major Acland, distinguished by his gallant services in America, and of the excellent Lady Harriot (fn. n20), whose sufferings and resolution, during an anxious attendance upon her husband, throughout the perils of a long campaign, have been related by the pen of General Burgoyne, and will bear comparison with what has been recorded of the most celebrated heroine of antiquity. The present and tenth baronet is son of the late baronet, and nephew of the brave Major Acland and Lady Harriot.
Arms: — Checky A. and S., a fesse, G.
Crest: — On a wreath a man's hand couped at the wrist, with a glove on, and a falcon perched thereon, Proper.
Carew, of Haccombe, 1661. — The first of the ancient baronial family of Carew, or De Carru, who was connected with Devonshire, was Sir John de Carru, who married one of the co-heiresses of Sir William Mohun, of Mohun's Ottery, about the year 1300. The only son of this marriage died without issue. Sir John's second wife was a daughter of Lord Talbot. Sir Nicholas, his great-great-grandson, married the heiress of Courtenay of Haccombe, by the heiress of L'Ercedekne, Archdekne, or Archdeacon. This lady, being in her widowhood possessed of most of the great estates of the family, gave Haccombe to her second son (fn. n21) Nicholas. Thomas Carew, Esq., sixth in descent from Nicholas, was created a baronet in 1661; he married a co-heiress of Carew of Bickleigh, and to his second wife, the heiress of Duck, by whom he had an only daughter. Sir Thomas, the fourth baronet, married one of the co-heiresses of West. His great grandson, Sir Henry, the seventh and present baronet, married the heiress of the late Walter Palk, Esq.
Arms: — See Carew Earl of Totnes.
Crest: — On a wreath, a main-mast, the round top set off with palisadoes, Or, a lion issuing thereout, Sable.
Supporters: — Two antelopes, G., armed and unguled, Arg.
Rogers, of Wisdom, 1698. — John Rogers, Esq., who was created a baronet by King William III., was an eminent merchant and M. P. for Plymouth: he was the immediate descendant of Mr. John Rogers, the first martyr in Queen Mary's reign. Sir John Lemon Rogers is the fourth in descent from the first Sir John, and is the fifth baronet. The seat of the family has been, of late years, at Blachford in Cornwood. Wisdom is now a farm-house.
Arms: — Arg. a chevron, G., between three roebucks current, S., attired and gorged with ducal coronets, Or.
Crest: — On a mount, Vert., a roebuck current, Proper, attired and gorged with a ducal coronet, Or, between two branches of laurel, Proper.
Duntze, of Rockbeare House, 1774. — John Duntze, a merchant in Exeter, and M. P. for Tiverton, was created a baronet in 1774, and was father of Sir John Duntze of Tiverton, the second and present baronet.
Arms: — Arg. a holy lamb passant, Or.
Crest: — A mullet between two eagles' wings.
Baker, of Loventor, in the parish of Berry Pomeroy, 1776. — Sir George Baker, late physician in ordinary to His Majesty, was created a baronet Aug. 24. 1776. His father was rector of West Allington, and his ancestors had for several generations been possessed of property in the county. Sir Frederick, son of Sir George, the second and present baronet, resides at Bath, but possesses property in the county. Loventor is inhabited by his aunt.
Arms: — Arg. on a saltier engrailed, Sable, five escallops of the first; on a chief of the second a lion passant of the field.
Crest: — A dexter arm embowed, vested, Azure, cuffed, Arg., holding in the hand, Proper, an arrow of the last.
Palk, of Haldon House, 1782.— The ancestors of this family were resident in Devonshire, and possessed of Ambrook, in the parish of Ipplepen, about the end of the fifteenth century. Sir Robert Palk was created a baronet in 1782. The present and third baronet, Sir Lawrence Vaughan Palk, is his grandson, being son of the late Sir Lawrence, by Lady Elizabeth Vaughan, daughter of Wilmot, Earl of Lisburne.
Arms: — S. an eagle displayed, Arg, beaked and legged, Or, a border engrailed of the second.
Crest: — On a semiterrestrial globe of the northern hemisphere, Proper, an eagle rising, as in the arms.
Buller, of Lupton, 1789. — The late eminent lawyer, Francis Buller, Esq., a younger son of James Buller, Esq., of Shillingford in Cornwall, and of Downe, in Devonshire, and one of the justices of the court of King's Bench, married the heiress of Yarde of Lupton, in the parish of Brixham. He was created a baronet November 28, 1789. His son, Sir Francis, the present baronet, who took the name of Yarde, has not resided in Devonshire since he inherited the title; but the estates and Lupton are still in the family.
Arms: — Quarterly of nine, S. and A., in the second, fourth, sixth, and eighth quarter, an eagle displayed of the first.
Crest: — A Saracen's head, couped, Proper.
Kennaway, of Escot, 1791.—John Kennaway, Esq., son of a merchant of Exeter of Scottish origin, distinguished himself in the wars in India against Hyder Ali and Tippoo Sultan, and in negotiating the alliance between the East India Company and the Nizam, in 1790, and the treaty of peace between the allied powers and Tippoo, in 1792. He was created a baronet for the former services in 1791. Escot House having been burnt down and not rebuilt, Sir John Kennaway resides in a house not far distant.
Arms: — Arg. a fesse, Az., between two eagles displayed in chief, and in base an annulet, G., through which a slip of olive and another of palm in saltier.
Crest: — An eagle rising, Proper, from the beak an escocheon pendant, Azure, charged with the sun in splendour, Proper.
Hamlyn Williams, of Clovelly Court, 1795. — Richard Hammett, Esq., father of Sir James Hamlyn, married the heiress of Risdon of Woolfardisworthy: his son James, who took the name of Hamlyn in 1760, pursuant to the will of his great uncle Zachary Hamlyn, Esq., of Clovelly Court, was created a baronet in 1795, and died in 1811: he married the heiress of Williams of Carmarthenshire. His son, Sir James Hamlyn Williams, the present baronet, took the name of Williams, in addition to Hamlyn, in 1798.
Arms of Hamlyn: — Or, a falcon regardant, the wings elevated, S., belled, G., between three roses.
Arms of Williams: — G. a lion rampant, per fesse wavy, A., and Erm. ducally crowned, Or.
Crest: — A swan with wings endorsed, Arg., collared, G., winged, beaked, and legged, Or, holding in the beak a bolt, Sable.
Crest of Williams: — A demi-swan, A., the wings elevated, S., each charged with a rose of the first, on the breast a birdbolt erect of the second, the head downwards.
Milman, of Levaton in Woodland, Nov. 4. 1800. — The late Sir Francis Milman, physician to His Majesty, who was created a baronet in 1800, was son of the Rev. Francis Milman, and grandson of another Francis Milman, both beneficed in Devonshire, and descended from the ancient family of Milman of Yorkshire, and of Chelsea near London. The late Sir Francis married the heiress of Hart of Stapledon, in Gloucestershire: his elder son, Sir Francis, is the present baronet. The grandfather married a co-heiress of Dyer, of Levaton.
Arms: — Azure, a serpent nowed, Proper, between three sinister gauntlets, Arg.
Crest: — A stag lodged, per pale, Erm. and Erminois, attired, Or, the body charged with two hurts.
Elford, of Bickham, Nov. 26. 1800. — This ancient family is said to have been of Cornish extraction. Robert de Elford was sheriff of Devonshire in 1302. Before the year 1400, they settled at Longstone, in the parish of Shipstor, where the elder branch remained till 1748, when it became extinct in the male line. John Elford, of Longstone, in 1517, married the heiress of Scudamore. John, the fourth in descent from the last-mentioned John, married a co-heiress of Copleston, by whom he had four daughters; two of these married into the Fortescue family; and a third married Woollcombe. The Rev. Lancelot Elford, who, on the extinction of the Longstone branch, had become the male representative of the family, was father of Sir William Elford, created a baronet in 1800. A co-heiress of Hals married into this family. Sir William resides at Bickham, which has for a considerable time been the seat of his branch of the family. (fn. n22)
Arms: — Quarterly, 1 and 4., per pale, wavy, A. and S., a lion rampant, G., 2 and 3. Arg., three stirrups and leathers, Sab., for Scudamore.
Crest: — A demilion rampant, per pale, wavy, A. and S., ducally crowned, Or.
Lethbridge, of Sandhill Park, 1804. — John Lethbridge, Esq. of West away House, in Devonshire, great grandson of John Lethbridge, who married a co-heiress of Bourchier of Westaway, was created a baronet in 1804, and was father of Sir Thomas Buckler Lethbridge, Bart., who resides at Sandhill Park, in Somersetshire, but possesses Court in Winkleigh, and other lands in this county.
Arms: — Argent, over water, Proper, a bridge embattled of five arches; on the centre arch a turret, G., in chief an eagle displayed, S., charged on the breast with a bezant.
Crest: — From a bridge embattled of one arch a demi-eagle issuant, S., wings elevated Erminois; on the breast a leopard's face, Or.
Lopes, of Maristow, 1805. — Manasseh Masseh Lopes, Esq., of Maristow House, son of Abraham Lopes, Esq., of the island of Jamaica, was created a baronet in 1805, with remainder to his nephew, Ralph Franco.
Arms: — Az. a chevron, Or, charged with five barrulets, G., between three eagles rising of the second; on a chief of the same, five lozenges of the field.
Crest: — A lion seiant Erminois, gorged with a collar gemelle, G., the dexter fore-paw resting on a lozenge, Azure.
Louis, of Cadwell, 1806. — The late Admiral Sir Thomas Louis, of French extraction, was, for his gallant services in the West Indies, created a baronet in 1806, and was succeeded in the title by his son now Sir John Louis, who is a captain in the navy.
Arms: — Az. a lion rampant, Arg. charged on the shoulder, with an eagle displayed, S.; on a chief wavy Erm., an anchor erect of the third; the shank surrounded with a naval coronet; the rim Az., the stern and sails, Proper.
Crest: — A griffin's head erased, between two wings elevated, Or, in the beak a fleur-de-lis, on the breast a trident erect, Or.
Supporters: — On the dexter side a British sailor, habited, Proper, his exterior hand supporting a staff, thereon hoisted a flag, Arg., charged with a cross, G. surmounted by a pair of wings, Or, and inscribed with the words St. Domingo, in base, Sable.
On the sinister an allegorical figure, representing the Nile, the head and the upper part of the face concealed by a veil, Arg., the mantle Vert., inscribed with hieroglyphicks; wreathed about the waste with bulrushes, Proper, and in the exterior hand an ancient rudder, Or.
Perring, of Membland, or Memland, in the parish of Holbeton, 1808. — John Perring, Esq., alderman of London, and of Memland, in Devonshire, (which estate was purchased by his uncle, Peter Perring, Esq.,) was created a baronet in 1808.
Arms: — Argent, on a chevron, Sable, between three leopards' faces of the fields, as many fir-cones, Proper.
Crest: — A fir-cone, Proper.
Duckworth, of Weare, September, 1813. — Sir John Thomas Duckworth, K. B., then Admiral of the Blue, who had been distinguished by a series of brilliant services, was created a baronet in 1813: he died in 1817, and was succeeded by his son, John Thomas, a minor.
Arms: — Arg., on a chevron, Az., between two ducks in chief, Proper, and a naval crown in base of the second, a bomb fired between two etoiles, Or, on a chief of the second, the words St. Domingo encircled by two branches of laurel, Or.
Crest: — A castle fired, Proper, supported on the sinister side by a sea-lion, Azure.
Supporters, granted in 1814: — On the dexter side, a human figure, holding in the exterior hand a sword erect, Proper, pannel and hilt, Or; around the head a halo, composed of seventeen etoiles of the last; across the dexter shoulder a belt, Az. fimbriated, and charged with three etoiles, Or, the waist encircled by a vest, Arg.; pendant from the sinister side a scabbard of the second, and under the feet the hide of an ox, Proper; the same being emblematical of the constellation Orion, the name of his Majesty's ship commanded by Sir J. T. Duckworth, on the 1st of June, 1794.
On the sinister side, a British sailor habited, Proper, the exterior hand supporting a flag-staff; thereon hoisted the flag of a Rear Admiral of the White Squadron, Proper, with the word Minorca inscribed on the cross in letters of gold; to commemorate his services at Minorca.
Palmer Acland, of Newhouse, Devon, and of Fairfield, Somersetshire, 1818. — John Palmer Acland, Esq., who was created a baronet in October, 1818, is the grandson of Sir Hugh Acland, Bart., being the eldest surviving son of Arthur Acland, Esq., by the heiress of Oxenham, who married the heiress of Long of Newhouse. Sir John Acland took the name of Palmer, of Fairfield, in Somersetshire, in addition to that of Acland, in 1818. Sir John Palmer Acland bears the arms of Acland and Palmer, quarterly, and the crests of both families.
Arms of Palmer: — Or, two bars, G., each charged with three cinquefoils; in chief a greyhound current, Sable.
Crest: — A demi-panther, A., semée of hurts, bezants, torteauxes, and pommes; in the paws a branch of palm-tree fructed, Proper.
Drake, of Nutwell, 1821. — Francis Drake, who was created a baronet in 1622, was nephew of the great Sir Francis Drake, and son of John Drake, some time vicar of Upnor, in Dorsetshire; but it does not appear that he was of the same family as the Drakes of the eastern part of Devonshire. The title became extinct, in 1794, by the death of Sir Francis Henry Drake, Bart., who bequeathed Buckland, and other family estates in Devonshire, to the late Lord Heathfield, son of his sister and heir (fn. n23), who had married the gallant defender of Gibraltar. The late Lord Heathfield dying without issue, his estates devolved on Thomas Trayton Fuller, Esq., second surviving son of John Trayton Fuller, Esq., of Brightling, in Sussex, who had married his sister and heir. Mr. T. T. Fuller, in 1813, took the additional names of Elliot and Drake, and in July, 1821, was created a baronet.
Francis Samuel, a younger son of Sir Francis Henry, the fourth baronet, (who died in 1740,) was an admiral in the navy, and was, in 1782, created a baronet, for his share in Sir George Rodney's glorious action. The title became extinct at his death, in 1789.
Crest: —On a helmet, a ship under ruff, drawn round the globe with a cable rope, by a hand out of the clouds. Over it this motto: Auxilio divino, and underneath it, Sic parvis magna.
These arms, with the crest, were granted to Sir Francis Drake, the circumnavigator.
Sir Walter Roberts, who resides at Courtland, near Exmouth, is son of Sir Thomas Roberts, of Glassenbury, in Kent, and of Brightfield town, in the county of Cork. Sir Thomas was created a baronet in 1809.
Arms: — Az. on a chevron, Arg., double cottised, Or, three mullets pierced, Sable.
Crest: — On a mount vert an eagle displayed, Erm., wings, Arg., gorged with a wreath of shamrocks.
It would be improper, whilst treating of the Devonshire baronets, to omit the name of Bastard, of Kitley, although the gentleman on whom the title was so handsomely conferred declined the honour. The patent had passed the privy seal, and was gazetted before it was notified to the party thus deservedly honoured. It is in the recollection of many yet living, that William Bastard, Esq., of Kitley, made a most prompt tender of his services upon the appearance of the combined fleet off Plymouth, in 1779; on the 16th of August, he offered the governor to raise 500 men, as a corps of fencibles; setting the first example of raising men for the public service at that important juncture. On the 18th, he had to select from 1500 young men, contending who should have the honour of serving under him in defence of their country. On the 19th, his regiment being complete, and officered by the principal gentlemen of the neighbourhood, he was appointed to the service of guarding the French prisoners on their march to Exeter. On the 23d, they set out from the prison at Plymouth, and on the 25th he delivered them, being about 1300 in number, to the commanding officer at that city. With a due sense of the merit of these prompt services, the late king signed the warrant for a baronetcy, which was gazetted on the 1st of September, and notified to Mr. Bastard, in a letter from Earl Paulett, on the 4th. The title thus handsomely conferred was modestly declined, with a due sense of the intended honour.
The ancient family of Bastard derives its origin from Robert Bastard, who held several manors in this county, in the reign of William the Conqueror. An an early period, Efford, in the parish of Egg Buckland, was for several generations the seat of this family. Sir William Pole reckons Bastard among the old families whose estates had been sold, but whose descendants remained in the county; and he mentions William Bastard, Esq., "learned in the laws," as living, in his time, at Wolston, in West Allington. Garston, or Gerson, in that parish, was the chief residence of the immediate ancestors of the late William Bastard, Esq., already mentioned. Kitley was acquired in marriage with the heiress of Pollexfen, about the beginning of the last century. The heiresses of Atley and Killiowe, had previously married into this family. The present representative of the family is Edmund Pollexfen Bastard, Esq., one of the members of the county, grandson of William Bastard, Esq., created a baronet as above mentioned, and nephew of the late John Pollexfen Bastard, Esq., who was one of the representatives of the county in several parliaments. His younger brother, John Bastard, Esq. M. P. for Dartmouth, resides at Sharpham, which was the inheritance of his mother, the heiress of Pownall.
Arms of Bastard: —Or, a chevron, Azure.
Crest: — Out of a wreath, a dexter arm embowed in plate armour, Proper; garnished, Or, the elbow towards the sinister; the hand in a gauntlet grasping a sword, also Proper, pomel and hilt, Or, in bend sinister, the point downwards.