Magna Britannia: Volume 6, Devonshire. Originally published by T Cadell and W Davies, London, 1822.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
SALCOMBE REGIS, in the hundred of East Budleigh and in the deanery of Aylesbeare, lies about a mile and a half from Sidmouth. The villages of Seed and Trow are in this parish.
The manor is said to have been given to the church of Exeter by King Canute. It was sold, in 1801, by the dean and chapter, under the powers of the land-tax redemption-act, when three-fourths of the manor, which had been held on lease by his father-in-law, the late John Kestell, Esq., and some other estates were purchased by George Cornish, Esq., the present proprietor. The bartons of Higher and Lower Dunscombe, which formerly belonged to the Drakes, are now also the property of George Cornish, Esq. Knoll has been for many generations in the family of Woolcott, and is now the property of Mr. John Woolcott, junior.
In the parish-church are some monuments of the ancient family of Michell. Thomas Michell, Esq., 1721, &c. That of Thomas Michell, Esq., (the last heir male,) who died in 1785, was put up by his sole nephew Sir Isaac Heard, now Garter Principal King of Arms. Mr. Incledon's Church Notes mention a memorial of — Hooper of Thorne, 1611; and Nicholas Hooper of Slade, 1659.
The dean and chapter of Exeter have the appropriation of the great tithes, and are patrons of the vicarage, which is in their peculiar jurisdiction.
The Liber Regis records a dilapidated chapel in this parish, dedicated to St. Clement and St. Magdalen.
SAMPFORD COURTENAY, in the hundred of Black Torrington and in the deanery of Oakhampton, lies about six miles from Oakhampton, and about seven from Hatherleigh.
Sampford Courtenay is remarkable as having been the place where the western rebellion, occasioned by the alteration of the church-service, broke out in 1549.
The manor, being parcel of the barony of Oakhampton, belonged to the Courtenay family till the attainder of the Marquis of Exeter. In the year 1569, Lord Buckhurst, being entitled to the reversion of this manor, after the death of Winifred, Lady St. John, conveyed it to the Queen in exchange, to the intent that it should be granted, together with the advowson, to King's College in Cambridge. The barton is held on lives, under the College, by the Rev. Corydon Luxmoore. The manor-farm of Halford, in this parish, belongs to Mr. John Snell.
In the parish-church are memorials for the family of Tickell, 1738, &c.; and the Rev. John Heath, rector, 1772. Sticklepath, on the road from Hatherleigh to Oakhampton, has a chapel, in which Divine service is performed twice a year by the rector of Sampford Courtenay, who administers the sacrament there at the same time (the Sunday after Easter and the Sunday after Michaelmas). In the reign of Henry V. it was a separate parish and a rectory, as appears from a record of the year 1414 (fn. n1); yet in the Chantry Roll of 1547 it is spoken of as a chapel, with an endowment, then valued at 9l. 10s. 8d. per annum.
SAMPFORD PEVERELL, in the hundred of Halberton and in the deanery of Tiverton, lies about five miles from Tiverton, and six from Collumpton. It is described in ancient records as a borough. (fn. n2)
There are two fairs at Sampford Peverell, the Monday before the last Wednesday in April, a great fair for cattle, sheep, and horses, and a holiday-fair on the ninth of September.
There was formerly a considerable woollen manufacture at this place, but it has long since declined; there are now only a few weavers in the parish. The grand Western Canal intersects this parish.
The manor of Sampford was the ancient inheritance of the Peverells, who resided here for several descents. The co-heiresses of Sir Thomas Peverell, the last of the family, married Wraxall, Cottle, and Rivers. Sir Elias Cottle possessed Sampford Peverell in the reign of Edward II. It was afterwards successively in the families of Dinham and Aisthorpe. Upon the death of Sir William Aisthorpe without issue, King Henry IV. granted it to John, Earl of Somerset (fn. n3), from whom it descended to Margaret, Countess of Richmond, (mother to King Henry VII.) who is said to have resided at Sampford. Sir Amias Paulet purchased this estate of King Henry the Seventh, and Sampford became one of the seats of the Paulet family. Sir Amias Paulet, (the grandson,) one of Queen Elizabeth's confidential servants, who had the custody of the Queen of Scots at the time of her execution, was of Sampford, and married the heiress of Harvey, of Culme John: the last-mentioned family is said also to have possessed for nine descents a place in Sampford, which they acquired by marriage with the heiress of Sandford. (fn. n4) The manor and demesnes of Sampford Peverell were sold at various times between 1806 and 1809, by Earl Paulet. The manor is now the property of Mr. Thomas Hellings, attorney-at-law, of Tiverton. The castle, or castellated mansion, of Sampford Peverell, appears to have been built by Oliver Dinham, in or about the year 1337. (fn. n5) There are now no vestiges of it, the ruins having been taken down about the year 1755.
In the parish-church is the monument of Lady Margaret Paulet, 1602; and that of the wife of Henry Daubeney, Esq., 1801. The Rev. S. Pidsley is patron and the present incumbent of the rectory.
SAMPFORD SPINEY, in the hundred of Roborough and in the deanery of Tamerton, lies about 11 miles from Plymouth, under Dartmoor. Part of the village of Horrabridge is in this parish.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry III., and for some generations afterwards, to the family of Spinet, or De Spineto. In 1630 it was the property of Sir Francis Drake, Bart., from whose family it passed to Bidgood. It is now vested in the co-heiresses of the late Humphrey Hall, Esq., who had purchased it of the Bidgoods. The dean and chapter of Windsor are appropriators of the tithes, and patrons of the perpetual curacy.
SANDFORD, in the hundred of Crediton and in the deanery of Cadbury, lies about two miles from Crediton. West Sandford, Eastern Buildings, and New Buildings, are villages in this parish.
The manor of Combe Lancelles, commonly called Combe Lancy, in this parish, belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the family of Lancelles, who possessed it for several generations: it has been at least 200 years in the Davie family, and is now the property of Sir John Davie, Bart. Creedy, in this parish, the seat of Sir John Davie, Bart., has been many generations, in his family. The mansion built by the first baronet was originally called Newhouse; it has been frequently altered, and has still the appearance of a modern mansion. John Davie, Esq., who first settled at Creedy, was a younger son of Robert Davie of Crediton, a younger brother of Davie of Ebberley. John Davie, Esq., his son, was created a baronet in 1641, and was the immediate ancestor of Sir John Davie, the present and ninth baronet.
It appears by Risdon that the barton of Ruxford, in this parish, which was said to have been the seat of Sir John Sully, in the reign of Edward III., was the property and residence of Sir William Davie, Bart.; on a division of his estates, this barton passed to one of his co-heiresses, married to a son of Sir Nicholas Hooper, by whom it was devised to Henry Coxe, Esq., of Stone Easton (in Somersetshire). It was purchased of Mr. Coxe by Sir John Davie, grandfather of the present baronet.
West Sandford was a seat of the Chichesters, the baronet's branch. The house has been pulled down, and the estate is now, by purchase, the property of John Quicke, Esq. Bremridge, the property and residence of Richard Melhuish, Esq., belonged from a very early period to the family of Bremridge, whose heiress married the father of the present proprietor.
Dowrish, in this parish, anciently written Duris, gave name to a family, whose residence it was from an early period till the death of Henry Dowrish, Esq., the last heir male, in 1717. His widow married Charles Chalice, Esq., of Lyon's Inn: Mrs. Lock, the daughter and heir of Mr. Chalice, dying without issue in 1774, bequeathed this estate, for life, to two maiden ladies of the name of Pitt, and after the decease of the survivor, which happened in 1792, to Mrs. Arabella Morgan, the present proprietor, who resides at Dowrish House.
Doddridge, in this parish, was the ancient property and residence of the family of that name, who continued to possess it in 1746. It was afterwards successively in the possession of Lake and Payne, and now belongs to the Rev. John Hewlett, to whom it was conveyed in 1808.
Sandford has been for some time esteemed a separate parish. The twelve governors of Crediton are impropriators of the tithes, and three of them nominate a minister, to be approved of by the majority of the parishioners. If they should disaprove, the three governors nominate another. Ezekiel Hopkins, Bishop of Derry, author of numerous sermons, expositions of the Lord's Prayer, and Ten Commandments, &c., was born at Sandford, where his father was minister, in 1633. His baptism does not appear in the register, which is imperfect about that time.
In the year 1773, Mr. John Ham, in pursuance of the will of his brother, the Rev. Robert Ham, who died in 1770, settled a rent-charge of 3l. per annum, out of an estate called Cradock, in the parish of Uffculme, of which 1l. 10s. was to be appropriated to teaching of poor children of New Buildings, and 1l. 10s. to a schoolmaster at the Eastern village. Mrs. Mary Lock, who died in 1774, gave 100l. for the purpose of raising an annuity of 3l. for teaching 10 children of the Eastern village: this was laid out in land, which now produces 10l. per annum.
SATTERLEIGH, in the hundred and deanery of South Molton, lies about four miles from South Molton.
At the time of the Domesday survey, Godbold Arbalistarius (fn. n9) held the manor of Satterleigh in demesne: it was in the Ralegh family as early as the reign of Henry II., and was conveyed by John Ralegh in or about the year 1324 to Lord Martyn, from whom it descended to the Bourchiers, earls of Bath. The manor of Warkleigh and Satterleigh cum Roburrow, is now the property of James Gould, Esq., who is patron of the rectory.
Satterleigh barton was for several descents the property and residence of the family of Melhuish. It is now the property of Henry Byne, Esq., who possesses it in right of his wife, one of the devisees of the late Mrs. Melhuish, mother of Richard Melhuish, Esq., the last of the family, who died in 1809.
In the parish-church are memorials of the family of Hache (fn. n10), and in the church-yard that of William Melhuish, Esq., 1770. The rectory is annexed to that of Warkleigh.
Seaton, or Seeton, and Beer
SEATON, or SEETON, and BEER, in the hundred of Colyton and in the deanery of Honiton, form an united parish. Seaton lies on the sea-coast, about eight miles from Axminster, and about 10 from Honiton. It is supposed by some of the best informed antiquaries to have been the Moridunum of Antoninus. The Danes are said by Risdon to have landed here in 937. I find no mention of it in the printed chronicles; but the time corresponds with the battle of Axminster, and it is probable that it may be mentioned in some of the MS. chronicles. Leland says there had been "a notable haven here; but now," he adds "a rigge or peer of pebble-stones at the mouth; a fair peer was begun at Beer, but three yeres since a great tempest tare it to pieces:" he speaks also of an attempt of the men of Seaton "to make a waul within the haven, and to break thro' the chesil, to have diverted the course of the river Axe, and to have received in the main sea, but the purpose came to no effect." There is now no pier at Seaton, but coal and culme are landed by the aid of boats. An act of parliament for making a harbour in the cove of Beer passed in the year 1792, but nothing having been done in consequence, and the commissioners being all dead, except two, a new act was passed in 1820 for that purpose, appointing new commissioners, granting more effectual powers for making a pier, and taking other measures to make a safe and commodious harbour, and empowering Lord Rolle, as lord of the manor, to take certain duties from all vessels entering the harbour. Nothing hath as yet been done in consequence of this act. There is a holiday-fair at Seaton on Whit-Tuesday.
I find no account of the manor of Seaton of an earlier date than what is mentioned by Sir William Pole, namely, that the grandfather of John Willoughby, Esq., the then possessor, purchased it of Frye of Yarty. It is probable that it was held with Beer by the abbot and convent of Sherbourne. The heiress of Willoughby brought it to Trevelyan; and Sir John Trevelyan, Bart., sold it, about the year 1788, or 1789, with Seaton House, some time one of the seats of that family, to the father of Thomas Malet Charter, Esq., the present proprietor, who occasionally resides there. The house was rebuilt about 1800.
The manor of Beer belonged, before the Conquest, to the abbey of Horton, which in 1122 was annexed, with all its lands, to Sherbourne Abbey. After the dissolution, it was in jointure to Queen Catherine Parr. The manor was afterwards purchased by the family of Hassard of Lyme, and the demesnes by Mr. John Starr. The whole, before 1630, became, by purchase, the property of a branch of the Walronds, settled at Bovey, in this parish. A moiety of the manor had been for some time in the Poles, having been purchased of the Hassards by Sir William Pole's father, and sold by himself to Walrond. This estate is now the property of the Right Honourable Lord Rolle, whose lady, lately deceased, was the sole heiress of William Walrond, Esq., the last heir male of this branch of the family. Bovey House is in the occupation of William Read, Esq.
In the parish-church of Seaton are monuments of the family of Walrond; (Edmund Walrond, Esq., 1640; and William Walrond, Esq., above mentioned, 1762). Mr. Incledon's Church Notes, taken in 1771, mention a memorial for Jane, daughter of Sir William Strode, and wife of John Willoughby, Esq., of Peahembury, 1695. At Beer is a chapel of ease. Lord Rolle is impropriator of the great tithes, which belonged to the abbey of Sherbourne, and patron of the vicarage.
The late Lady Rolle bequeathed the sum of 7000l. 3 per cent., for the founding and endowing some charitable institutions at Beer, of which a farther account will be given in the Appendix.
There was a meeting-house of the Presbyterians at Beer in 1715, which still exists; and a small one of the Methodists at Seaton.
SHAUGH PRIOR, in the hundred and deanery of Plympton, lies under Dartmoor, about ten miles from Plymouth.
Roger de Novant gave the manor of Shaugh, by the name of Staghes, to the priory of Plympton (fn. n11) : after the dissolution, it was purchased by the family of Slanning, who had long possessed lands in this parish, by marriage with the daughter of At-Ley. From the Slannings it passed with BucklandMonachorum, and other estates, to Modyford and Heywood. After the death of James Modyford Heywood, Esq., in 1798, it was purchased by Sir Manasseh Masseh Lopes, Bart., the present proprietor. The Strodes of Newnham have a manor in this parish called Fernhill. The manor of Wotter belongs to a farmer of the name of Maddacott. Coldstone, the seat of the ancient family of Martyn (fn. n12), is now the property and residence of a farmer of the name of Cole. The barton of Brixton (fn. n13) belongs to the Earl of Morley. Troulsworthy Warren, the property of Thomas Woollcombe, Esq., has been in his family since the reign of Edward VI. The dean and chapter of Windsor are impropriators of the tithes which had belonged to the priory of Plympton, and patrons of the perpetual curacy.
SHEBBEAR, in the hundred of that name and in the deanery of Torrington, lies about four miles from Sheepwash, and between seven and eight from Hatherleigh. The small village of Cott is in this parish.
The Nevilles, earls of Westmorland, were formerly lords of the manor. At a later period it was in the Rolles, from whom it descended to the Right Honourable Lord Clinton. John Alvethol held lands in Shebbear, in the reign of Richard II., by the service of holding the king's stirrup whenever he should come into the lordship of Shebbear.
The barton of Benworthy, belongs to Mr. Hugh Brent; Allicott, to William Harris, Gent.; Dippermill, to the representatives of the late Mr. Hockin; Berry, to Mr. John Heam; Lybeare, to Mr. Edward Walter; Werdon, to Miss Harrington; Dean, to Miss Silke; and Spraywood, to the Rev. William Holland Coham. The barton of Wotton is in moieties between Lord Clinton and John Fortescue, Esq.
Risdon speaks of a monument in the church, covered with pews, said to be that of lady Prandergist, Lady of Ladford and Beare. There are memorials of the families of Battishull and Hockin. Mr. Incledon's Notes mention those of the family of Shebbear (1677—1716); and Mary, wife of Nicholas Tucker, and daughter of William Shebbear, 1714.
The church of Shebbear, belonged to the abbey of Tor. The impropriate tithes, except such as have been purchased by the several landowners, are now vested in Mr. Hugh Brent, Mrs. Mary Heyset, and Mr. William Braund. The King is patron of the vicarage.
Sheepwash, or Shipwash
SHEEPWASH, or SHIPWASH, in the hundred of Shebbear and deanery of Torrington, is a small decayed market-town, four miles and a half from Hatherleigh, about thirty-three from Exeter, and 206½ from London.
I find no record of the grant of a market; but till towards the latter end of the last century (fn. n14), a market was held here on Monday, of which there are now no traces, but two dilapidated market-houses.
There was an ancient fair held here on St. Lawrence's day; but it had declined previously to 1777. In the year 1778, fairs were advertised to be held annually on the 10th of April, the 10th of August, and the 9th of October: there is now no fair. A destructive fire happened in this town in 1743. The town and parish contained, in 1801, only 348; in 1811, 378 inhabitants.
The manor of Shipwash belonged, in the reign of Henry I., to William Fitz Reginald, whose daughter brought it to the Avenells. The lastmentioned family possessed it for several generations. Sir Andrew Metsted was lord of the manor in 1314; his daughter brought it to the Hollands, who continued in possession in the reign of Charles I. It is now the property of Lord Clinton, by descent from the Rolles.
Upcot, in this parish, was the property and residence of the Hortons, whose heiress brought it to Thorne. It now belongs to the Rev. William Holland Coham, one moiety by inheritance, his ancestor having married one of the co-heiresses of William Holland, Esq., whose grandfather married the heiress of Thorne. The other moiety has lately been purchased of the daughter of the late Archdeacon Coham, descended from the other coheiress.
In the parish-church is a memorial for Lewis Coham, Esq., of Upcott, 1778. Sheepwash is a daughter-church to Shebbear.
Sheepstor, or Shipstor
SHEEPSTOR, or SHIPSTOR, anciently written Schitestor, or Shittor, in the hundred of Roborough and in the deanery of Tamerton, lies under Dartmoor, about seven miles from Tavistock. The village is prettily situated near Schittestor rock, on the little river Mew.
The manor belonged, in the reign of Henry III., to the family of Herbert, of Combe, who were succeeded by Scudamore. A co-heiress of Scudamore, about the end of the fifteenth century, brought it to the Elfords, in which family it continued till after the death of the last heir male of the elder branch, in 1748. It is now the property of Walter Northmore, Esq. (fn. n15) Longstone, the ancient residence of the Elford family, is now a farm-house. In the parish-church are several monuments of the Elford family. (fn. n16) Shipstor is a daughter-church to Bickleigh.
SHELDON, in the hundred of Hayridge and in the deanery of Dunkeswell, lies between six and seven miles from Collumpton, and six from Honiton.
The manor, which had belonged to Dunkeswell Abbey, is said, by Sir William Pole, to have been afterwards in the Bourchiers, earls of Bath: but I am informed by the Rev. W. Palmer, D. D., the present proprietor of the barton of Newhouse, that the manor was granted by the crown to the Earl of Stamford, by whom the royalty was sold in parcels, as attached to the several estates; that the barton of Newhouse was sold to the family of Waldron, or Walrond, of whom it was purchased about the year 1730, by his grandfather. The barton of Grange, in this parish, is the property of John Bacon, Esq., R. A. The tithes which belonged to Dunkeswell Abbey are now vested in William Drewe, Esq., who is patron of the perpetual curacy: the benefice has been augmented by Queen Anne's bounty.
Sherford, or Shirford
SHERFORD, or SHIRFORD, in the hundred of Coleridge and in the deanery of Woodleigh, lies about three miles from Kingsbridge. Part of the village of Frogmore is in this parish.
The manor belonged to the priory of St. Nicholas, in Exeter; and after the dissolution, to the family of Willoughby, whose heiress brought it to Trevelyan. It is now the property of the Rev. John Templer, by whom it was purchased, in 1783, of Sir John Trevelyan, Bart. Kennedon, in this parish, belonged anciently to the Pralls, afterwards (1395) to Gove. In the reign of Henry V., it was the seat of John Hals, appointed one of the justices of the Common Pleas in 1423; his son, John Hals, who was made Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry in 1450, was born here, and it was for many years the residence of his descendants: Sir William Elford, the representative of this family, sold Kennedon to Mr. John Aldham, of whom it was purchased by Mr. Luke Howard, the present propietor. The old mansion is now a farm-house: a square tower remains of Judge Hals's building.
Malston, in this parish, gave name to a family, from whom it passed by successive female heirs to Stighull (fn. n17) and Reynell. (fn. n18) In the reign of Henry V. it was settled on a younger branch of the Reynells, by whose descendants it was sold, in 1729, to Daniel Phillips, M. D. In 1775, it was conveyed by Phillips to Batt: it is now vested in the representatives of the late William Clarke, Esq., who purchased it of Batt. Sherford is a daughter-church of Stokenham.
Sherwill, or Shirwell
SHERWILL, or SHIRWELL, in the hundred and deanery of that name (fn. n19), lies about four miles from Barnstaple.
At the time of the Domesday survey the manor of Sherwill, there written "Aiscirewilla," was held by Robert de Bellomonte, or Beaumont, under Baldwin the sheriff. (fn. n20) The heiress of Beaumont, in the reign of Henry VII., married the ancestor of Sir Arthur Chichester, Bart., of Youlston park, in this parish, the present proprietor, who is also patron of the rectory. The lord of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. n21)
In the parish-church are memorials of Anne Lady Chichester, daughter of John Leigh, Esq., and wife of Sir Arthur Chichester, 1723; and of the family of Lugg (1650—1712).
SHILLINGFORD, in the hundred of Exminster and in the deanery of Kenne, lies about three miles from Exeter.
At the time of the Domesday survey, the manor of Shillingford was held in demesne by William Chievre, or Capra. It was afterwards, for a few descents, in an ancient family who took their name from this, the place of their residence: in the reign of Edward I. it was settled on an illegitimate son, whose descendant sold it, in the reign of Henry VIII., to Sir William Huddesfield, the King's Attorney-general. Sir William settled at Shillingford, and left two daughters co-heiresses. This manor was sold by them to John Southcote, Esq., of whose descendant, Henry Southcote, Esq., it was purchased by Sir Robert Palk, Bart., and is now the property of his grandson, Sir Lawrence Vaughan Palk, Bart. The Southcotes had also the manor of Abbots Shillingford, which belonged to Tor abbey, having been given by the founder William Lord Brewer. (fn. n22)
In the parish-church is the monument of Sir William Huddesfield, above mentioned; and his wife Catherine, daughter of Sir Philip Courtenay. There are memorials also for the family of Southcotes. (fn. n23) Sir L. V. Palk, Bart., is patron of the rectory.
SHOBROOKE, in the hundred of West Budleigh and in the deanery of Cadbury, lies two miles from Crediton, and eight from Exeter. The village of Little Silver is in this parish.
The manor belonged, in the reign of William the Conqueror, to Walter Clavell. The family of Ercedekne, or Archdeacon, possessed it in the reign of Henry III. The heiress, after several descents, brought it to Carew. Richard Carew, of Anthony, the historian of Cornwall, sold it to Sir William Periam, whose daughter brought it to Basset. It was afterwards successively in the Reynells and Tuckfields, and is now, under the will of Henry Tuckfield, some time M.P. for Exeter, who died in 1797, the property of R. Hippisley Tuckfield, Esq., son of the Rev. John Hippisley, of Stow in the Wold, in Gloucestershire.
Little Fulford, partly in this parish, and partly in Crediton, was granted by Michael le Ercedekne to Roger le Squier. After this (in the reign of Edward II.) it was in the family of Dirwyn, whose heiress, after four descents, brought it to Hache, and the heiress of Hache to Malet. It was sold by the latter to Sir William Periam, of whose co-heiresses the greater part was purchased by the ancestor of the late Mr. Tuckfield. Little Fulford House, built by Sir William Periam, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer, has been taken down, and a new mansion lately built for the present proprietor, R. H. Tuckfield, Esq., by Hakewill. There is a deer-park at this place.
Raddon, or West Raddon, gave name to the family of Raddon, who possessed it for several descents. It was afterwards in the lords Martyn, whose heiress brought it to Lord Audley. Having been divided between two co-heiresses of Audley, one moiety passed to Tuchet, Lord Audley, and, having been forfeited by attainder, was granted to Dennis, and subdivided among coheiresses of that family. The other moiety, having passed by female heirs through the families of Hilary and Troutbeck to Talbot, was sold to the Westcotes, who settled at Raddon in the reign of Henry VIII. Thomas Westcote, the antiquary, was born at Raddon in 1567, and buried at Shobrooke about 1640. (fn. n24) His grandson, of the same name, is said to have ruined his family, and to have sold the estate. It is now the property of George Sydenham Fursdon, Esq., by bequest from the late Charles Hale, Esq., of Ingsdon. It was purchased by Mr. Hale of Henry Lord Rolle, who died in 1750.
Pennicot was the property and residence of the Poyntingdons, or Poyntingtons, from the reign of Edward III. till after the middle of the seventeenth century. The rectory has been annexed to the bishopric of Exeter since the year 1717.
In the year 1715, the Presbyterians had a meeting-house at Shobrooke, which still exists.
The earliest benefaction to the charity-school was 10l., given by Thomas Poyntington, in 1665. Mary Trenchard, in 1728, gave a rent-charge of 3l. per annum. The present annual amount of the endowment, including other small benefactions, is 5l. 12s. per annum.
SHUTE, in the hundred of Colyton and in the deanery of Honiton, lies about three miles from Axminster, and about six from Honiton. The village of Whitford is in this parish. (fn. n25)
The manor belonged to a family who took their name from this, the place of their residence, anciently called Schete, and it seems to have passed by marriage to the Pynes. One of the co-heiresses of Sir Thomas Pyne brought this manor to Nicholas Bonville, great-great-grandfather of William Lord Bonville, who was beheaded after the battle of St. Albans. After the death of John Bonville, his nephew, this estate passed to Thomas Grey, Marquis of Dorset, the first husband of the only daughter of Lord Bonville's son, who died in his father's lifetime; and to Henry Earl of Stafford, her second husband. Upon the attainder of her grandson, Henry Duke of Suffolk, in 1553, it escheated to the crown, and was granted by Queen Mary to Sir William Petre, her principal Secretary of State, of whose descendant, Lord Petre, it was purchased, in 1787, by the late Sir John William Pole, Bart., and is now the property of his son, Sir William Templer Pole, the present and seventh baronet of that family.
Leland calls Shute a right good manor-place of the Marquis of Dorset's: it had been before the seat of the Bonvilles. Sir William Pole, the learned antiquary, being possessed of Shute House and park (fn. n26), settled his eldest son Sir John there, who, when he was created a baronet in 1628, during his father's lifetime, was described of Shute, which has ever since been the chief seat of the family. The greater part of the old mansion was pulled down by the late baronet; the present edifice was begun in 1787. There is a deer-park detached from the house.
SIDBURY, in the hundred of East Budleigh and in the deanery of Aylesbeare, lies about three miles from Sidmouth. The villages of Sidford and Harcombe are in this parish.
A market at Sidbury on Wednesday, and a fair for three days, at the festival of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, were granted to the dean and chapter of Exeter in 1290. (fn. n29) The market has been discontinued time out of mind: there are now two cattle-fairs, held on the Tuesday before Ascension-day, and on Michaelmas-day, if on a Tuesday, otherwise the first Tuesday afterwards.
The manor, which had been given to the dean and chapter of Exeter by King Athelstan (fn. n30), was sold under the powers of the act for the redemption of the land-tax, in or about 1800, to William Guppy, Esq., and others, of whom it was purchased by Robert Hunt, Esq., the present proprietor. The manor-house, called Court Hall, was held for many years under the dean and chapter by the family of Pearse: it is now occupied as a school by Mr. Henry Newbury.
The manor of Stone and Sidford belonged, in the reign of Henry II., and for several descents after that period, to the family of De la Stane. Henry Trivet had the greater part in the reign of Edward III. One of the co-heiresses of his grandson brought it to Roger Pym, whose descendant sold this estate to Sir William Periam. His son-in-law, Sir William Pole, became possessed of it partly in right of his wife, and partly by purchase. Sir William Templer Pole, Bart., sold it a few years ago to the uncle of J. B. Stuckey Bartlett, Esq., the present proprietor.
Mincombe, in this parish, gave name to a family who possessed it for some descents; it was afterwards in the Holbeames, whose heiress brought it to Marwood, and the co-heiresses of Marwood in moieties to Wichalse and Chichester. The Woolcotts purchased a moiety of the Trevanions, who were representatives of Wichalse. Mr. John Woolcott is now proprietor of the whole; the other moiety had been successively in the families of Yonge and Warren.
The barton of Sand gave name to a family who possessed it at an early period. In the reign of Henry V. Roger Tremayle was possessed of Over Sand. Sir Thomas Tremayle, one of the justices of the King's Bench in the reign of Henry VII., purchased other lands in Sand, and the whole passed with the heiress of his son to Ashley. About the year 1560 this estate was purchased by a younger branch of the family of Huyshe, of Donniford, in the county of Somerset, and it is now the property of the immediate descendant and representative, the Rev. Francis Huyshe rector of Clist Hydon. The house at Sand, which was the seat of the Huyshe family, was built by Rowland Huyshe in 1594. Over the door of a small garden is inscribed Hortus Joannis Capelli. (fn. n31) Sand is now occupied by a farmer.
Woodhouse, in this parish, gave name to a family who were succeeded in the possession of this estate by Nitheway. It was afterwards, for several descents, in the Wallers, from whom it passed, by successive alienations, to Whiddon and Prideaux. It is now the property of Robert Hunt, Esq., who resides on this estate in a mansion called Sidbury House. Woodhouse barton is occupied by a farmer.
Wootton was purchased by the Bampfyldes, in the reign of Edward III., of Martyn. It is now the property of Mr. Hunt: the house is occupied by a farmer.
The barton of Brook belongs to J. B. S. Bartlett, Esq.; Burton, to Mr. Woolcott; Sincombe, Road, and Higher and Lower Plyford, to Mr. Hunt; and Sandcombe to the Rev. William Cockburn. Cotford House is the property and residence of Joseph Jenkins, Esq.
Mr. Incledon, who took his notes in Sidbury church in 1772, mentions memorials of Anthony Isaac, 1639; Christopher Isaac, 1660; and Francis Acland, Esq., 1747. The dean and chapter of Exeter are appropriators of the great tithes, of which Robert Hunt, Esq., is lessee, and patrons of the vicarage, which is in their peculiar jurisdiction. A chantry in this church, founded by the ancestors of Hugh Jones, was charged with 7l. per annum, out of the manor of Shutford. There was formerly a chapel of St. Michael in this parish.
In the year 1715 there was a Presbyterian meeting at Sidbury, which still exists: the meeting-house has lately been rebuilt.
SIDMOUTH, a market-town in the hundred of East Budleigh and in the deanery of Aylesbeare, lies on the sea-coast at the mouth of the river Sid. It has of late years been much frequented as a bathing-place, and has every accommodation for invalids.
I have not found any record of the grant of the market; but it appears from ancient documents, that Sidmouth was a borough and market town, governed by a portreeve, in the thirteenth century. (fn. n32) There are now two weekly markets, Tuesday and Saturday, and two fairs, Easter-Monday, and the third Monday in September. There is an ancient fort at Sidmouth, mounted with four cannon. Risdon calls Sidmouth "one of the especialest fisher towns of the shire." Sir William Pole also speaks of it as famous for its fishery; it has, however, long been on the decline, and the little that is carried on is yearly decreasing. In 1801, the number of inhabitants in the town and parish was 1252; in 1811, 1688; according to the returns made to parliament at those periods.
The manor was given by William the Conqueror to the abbey of St. Michael, in Normandy; it afterwards belonged to the monastery of Sion. (fn. n33) After the dissolution, it was successively leased to Gosnell, Sir William Periam, and Mainwaring. In the reign of James I., Christopher Mainwaring, Esq., being possessed of the fee, sold it to Sir Edmund Prideaux, Bart.; his descendant, Sir J. W. Prideaux, Bart., sold it to Thomas Jenkins, Esq., uncle of Thomas Jenkins, Esq., the present proprietor.
Ascerton, in this parish, gave name to a family, whose heiress brought this estate to Knighteston: by the latter it was conveyed, in 1370, to Bittlesgate, and by Bittlesgate, about 1422, to Harlewin. Sir John Harlewin was a distinguished military character in the reign of Edward IV. Both this barton, and that of Cottrington, or Cottington, which had been sold by Harlewin to Duke, were conveyed by the latter to Carslake. This estate is now the joint property of John Carslake, Esq., Henry Cutler, Esq., and Thomas Jenkins, Esq. The manor of Radway gave name to a family who possessed it for a considerable time: it was afterwards divided property. The manor now belongs to the representatives of the late Rev. William Jenkins. The manor of Old Hayes, in this parish, which belonged partly to the family of Pole, and partly to Crosse, and Trelawney, is now the property of the Right Honourable Lord Gwydir, who has a cottagevilla here, called by the same name as the manor, at which the late Lord Gwydir occasionally resided.
In the parish-church are monuments of the families of Harlewin (fn. n34), and Conant (fn. n35); and of many persons who have been temporary inhabitants at Sidmouth, either for health or pleasure. (fn. n36)
The great tithes which had been appropriated to the monastery of Sion, and after the dissolution granted to Mainwaring, were purchased of that family by the warden and fellows of Wadham College, in Oxford; and having been sold by that college, under the power of the land-tax redemption-act, are now vested in the representatives of the late Rev. William Jenkins, who was patron and incumbent of the vicarage.
In the year 1715, the Presbyterians had a meeting at Sidmouth, which still exists; there is a meeting-house also of Calvinistic Methodists.
The Rev. John Minshull, by his will, in 1663, gave the residue of his goods and chattles, which produced 360l., to purchase lands; a moiety of the rent to be appropriated to the maintenance and education of poor children, of the parish of Sidmouth. The lands purchased with this money, and the addition of 40l. out of another benefaction given to the poor of Sidmouth, produced, in 1786, only a rent of 18l. 19s. per annum, although, in 1698, it had been let for 19l. 10s. In 1791, and 1792, these charity estates were let improvidently on long leases, at about 32l. per annum, out of which, 6l. per annum only has been paid to the school. The estates were valued, in 1819, at 120l. per annum, clear of poor and church rates, and land-tax. It appears, by the Report of the Commissioners, that some arrangement with the lessees is in contemplation to avoid a suit in chancery. The Rev. Mr. Burrowes having given the sum of 40l. to the Rev. John Curtis of Sidmouth, to be disposed of, at his discretion, to charitable uses, he, by his will, in 1764, gave it to the feoffees of Minshull's school; it was then laid out in the stocks, and produces an interest of 1l. 10s. per annum. The master is now paid a salary of 10l. per annum, including this sum. The slender endowment above mentioned having been aided by voluntary contributions, seventy-five children have of late been educated in this school, on Dr. Bell's system. There is a Sunday-school also, in which 120 children are instructed.
ST. SIDWELL, in the suburbs of Exeter, lies in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of Exeter. It was formerly parcel of the parish of Heavitree, but has been long deemed a separate parish.
Hill's Court, in this parish, was, for many generations, the property and seat of the family of Hill, whose heiress married Sir John Malet: Sir John Hill, an eminent lawyer, was of Hill's Court in 1400. There are no remains of the ancient mansion. The site on which several houses have been built is the property of John Newcombe, Esq.
The parish-church, which has been lately rebuilt in the Gothic style, is a handsome structure, dedicated to St. Sativola, or Sidwell, a virgin who is said to have been beheaded with a scythe, about the year 740, and to have been here buried.
A brass plate against the north wall commemorates Hugh Grove, Esq., of Enford, Wilts, who was beheaded for joining in an insurrection against the ruling powers, in 1655. (fn. n37) At the west end, is the monument of Phineas Cheek, Esq., 1753. There are memorials also for the Rev. John Robinson, rector of Halsted, in Kent, 1806; and David Hamilton, Esq., of Christ Church College, Oxford, 1811.
The register of this parish records great ravages of the plague, in 1625, and 1626. (fn. n38) Richard Wilkins, executed for witchcraft, was buried at St. Sidwell, in July, 1610.
Laurence Seldon and his wife, in 1605, gave 7l. per annum for teaching poor children of this parish. The master of the school receives one half of seven-eighths of an estate called Rock, in the parish of Tiverton, which is vested in the dean and chapter of Exeter, and now let at 30l. per annum.
The Rev. John Bury, who died in 1667, gave to the dean and chapter of Exeter an annuity of 25l. per annum, in trust, half of which was appropriated to a school at St. Sidwell. (fn. n39)
An academy for the Dissenters was opened in Paris-street, in this parish, in the year 1760, a house having been given for the purpose by William Mackworth Praed, Esq.; a valuable library, which had belonged to the academy at Taunton, was removed hither for the use of the students; and was increased by that of Dr. Hodge of London: the tutors were Messrs. Merivale, Towgood, Hogg, and Turner. It was closed in 1772. In 1780, the house was opened as a charity-school: about seventy children, of both sexes, are now clothed and educated in it. This school, which is the same spoken of in p. 232., is supported by annual subscriptions and collections; and it has a stock in the funds, of above 600l., the produce of savings and benefactions.
In this parish are St. Anne's almshouses and chapel, said to have been a military post during the siege of Exeter by Prince Maurice; it appears to have been an ancient hospital, which, having been purchased after the dissolution, was converted into an almshouse, by Oliver and George Mainwaring, for eight poor persons, and given in trust to the dean and chapter. It was endowed with the rent of a meadow and tenement, in St. David's parish, by Ann, wife of Christopher Mainwaring, in 1617: the pensioners are now paid 6s. 8d. per quarter; and 2s. 6d. a week each, by the dean and chapter.
Mr. John Webb, of the city of Exeter, in 1676, founded an almshouse for four poor women. The present rental of the lands belonging to this almshouse is 28l. 19s. per annum.
SILVERTON, in the hundred of Hayridge and in the deanery of Plymtree, lies at the distance of six miles and three quarters from Tiverton, and seven from Exeter. The parish is divided into four parts, the Borough, Yalton, Monk Culme, and the North Quarter.
Silverton had formerly a market on Saturday, which has been discontinued since the year 1785. There are still two cattle-fairs, the first Thursday in March, and in July; formerly held June 24. and September 4. There is still a holiday fair, kept upon the last-mentioned day.
Sir Thomas Fairfax was quartered with his army at Silverton, on the 20th and 21st, and 26th and 27th of October, 1645. (fn. n40)
The manor, which had been part of the ancient demesnes of the crown, belonged at an early period to the Beauchamps of Hache, of whose heirs it was purchased by Sir John Wadham, one of the Justices of the Common Pleas, in the fourteenth century. It is now vested in the Honourable Percy Wyndham, and the Earl of Ilchester, as representatives of the Wadhams. The former has seven-twelfths.
Culme Reigny, afterwards called Combe Sachville, belonged successively to the families of Reigny and Sachville: from the latter it passed to Courtenay; Sir William Courtenay sold it, in the reign of Charles I., to Henry Skibbow and others. Combe Sachville was the property and residence of the late Henry Langford Browne, Esq., now of his widow. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. n41)
The manor of Monk Culme was given by William Earl Moreton to the priory of Montacute. After the dissolution, it was in the family of Blewet, who sold it to Land of Tiverton. It is now the property of William Land, Esq.
In the church-yard is the monument of Henry Langford Browne, Esq., 1800; and in the church, that of Mary, his wife, 1769. Gilbert Bourn, the deprived Bishop of Bath and Wells, was buried at Silverton in 1569. Bishop Cotton resided chiefly at Silverton, and died there in 1621. (fn. n42)
Adjoining to the church was a chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, of which the traces are still discernible.
The Earl of Ilchester has five-twelfths, and the Honourable Percy Wyndham seven-twelfths, of the advowson of the rectory. In the year 1715, the Presbyterians had a meeting-house at Silverton, which still exists.
Mr. John Richards, of London, merchant, by his will, bearing date 1724, gave 1200l., to be laid out in lands for building and endowing a school; after providing the requisite buildings, the estate purchased now produces a rent of about 95l. per annum. The scholars are to be taught reading, writing, and accounts.
The Rev. Richard Troyte, in 1730, gave a rent-charge of 2l. 10s. per annum, for teaching poor girls.