Historical Gazetteer of London Before the Great Fire Cheapside; Parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St Martin Pomary, St Mary Le Bow, St Mary Colechurch and St Pancras Soper Lane. Originally published by Centre for Metropolitan History, London, 1987.
This free content was born digital. All rights reserved.
This property lay between 4 on the N., the entry to Broad Seld (145/10) on the S., 8 on the W., and Soper Lane on the E. There are no specific references to it after 1325, and the structure there was probably demolished in the 15th century. From then on the site was part of Soper Lane, although in the 17th century the owners or tenants of 8 (q.v.) may have erected sheds over part of it.
In 1288 John Counseyl, citizen, granted and quitclaimed his right in the shop with 2 solars on this site to Roger de Amyas, citizen and pepperer, who at that time held the property. Roger paid £2 in gersumam. He was also known as Roger son of Ralph de Leyton, and under that name granted the property to Simon de Parys by 1307. Adam of St. Albans, ironmonger, had a quit-rent of 10s. from the shop which passed by inheritance to his son Richard of St. Albans, chaplain. In 1316 Richard quitclaimed in this rent to Simon de Parys, citizen and mercer. By his will, dated and enrolled in 1324, Simon left the shop and solar above to be sold by his executors, who in 1325 sold the property to John de Grantham, citizen and pepperer. (fn. 1)
The descent of the properties of John de Grantham in Soper Lane is discussed under 145/18. It is probable that the building on this site was demolished at about the same time as those on 7.