Historical Account of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne Including the Borough of Gateshead. Originally published by Mackenzie and Dent, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1827.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
LIST OF EMBELLISHMENTS.
When it is intended to bind the work in two volumes, the publishers recommend the first volume to end at page 414.
CORRECTIONS, OMISSIONS, AND ADDITIONS.
Page 333.—The inscription on the tomb-stone of Robert Page is,— "Hic situs est Robertus Page, Armiger, Vir virtute et recte factis insignis diutissime languecens morti succubiut A. D. 1807, Ætatique 69." English, "Here lieth interred Robert Page, Esq. a man rigidly moral and scrupulously exact in his transactions. He died after a protracted illness A. D. 1807, aged 69."
Page 380.—Mrs. Watts was a member of the Established Church, though her father belonged to Hanover Square chapel.
Page 382.—The Quaker meeting-house occupied the scite of the present poor-house.
Page 414.— The old Ballast Hills burial-ground measured only 7438 square yards, or 1 acre, 2 roods, 5 perches, 27 yards.
Page 444—Mr. Fryer merely assisted his master, Mr. C. Hutton.
Page 587.— Mr. W. Harvey designed the cuts for Northcote's Fables. They were mostly engraved by Mr. J. Jackson.
Page 592.—In mentioning the eminent teachers of music in Newcastle, Messrs. John and Charles Millear were inadvertently omitted.
Page 676.—The Duke of Wellington was admitted to the freedom of the Cordwainers' Company, April 12,1814. His grace's letter of thanks is hung up in their Hall.