Historical Account of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne Including the Borough of Gateshead. Originally published by Mackenzie and Dent, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1827.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE TRINITY-HOUSE SCHOOL.
The erection of a free school in the Trinity-house was ordered by the master and brethren on May 9, 1712, for the instruction of the children of brethren in Writing, Arithmetic, and Mathematics. The apprentices of brethren are also admitted. The school-house was rebuilt in 1753, as appears by the following inscription on a stone built up in it:—"This School House rebuilt 1753, Francis Pemberton, Esq. master; elder brethren, James Carr, John Welford, Matthias Giles, William Errington, William Harrison, Charles Liddell, Thomas Proctor, Robert Hudson, Francis Heath, George Stephenson, John Cole, Henry Shadforth; Thomas Aubone, secretary."
The following names of schoolmasters occur:—In 1712, Mr. Manell, salary £16; in 1756, Robert Harrison, salary £20; in 1771, John Fryer, salary £20; in 1788, W. Drysdale, salary £40; in 1804, John Rutherford, salary £60; in 1814, Edward Riddle, salary £80; in 1821, Anthony Cook, salary £80; in 1824, Andrew Tinwell, salary £80. (fn. 1) The masters have also a dwelling-house and coals, and are permitted to teach, for their own benefit, 20 scholars, exclusive of those belonging to the society. The present master likewise enjoys the privilege of writing all the petitions to be presented to the board, for each of which he is paid one shilling. In Mr. Riddle's time, a convenient platform was made on the roof of the school-house, for taking lunar observations.