Historical Account of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne Including the Borough of Gateshead. Originally published by Mackenzie and Dent, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1827.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HOUSE OF RECOVERY.
This establishment for the cure and prevention of contagious fever arose out of the opposition to the project of annexing fever wards to the Infirmary. After the final meeting of the governors of that charity on this business, a subscription was commenced for the erection and support of a fever hospital. The corporation granted a scite in the Warden's Close, on the outside of the town's wall, behind the Black Friars. The situation is airy and retired, and the house commodious and well ventilated. The finishing and furnishing it cost upwards of £1800, of which sum £1438, 2s. was raised by subscription: the remainder has since been paid from the regular receipts of the institution. The rules and regulations of this house are judicious, the greatest attention being paid to the purification of the rooms, bedding, and wearing apparel of the patients; and since it was first opened in 1804, the progress of contagious fever in this town and the vicinity has been frequently and promptly arrested.
Subscribers of one guinea or more per annum are governors; and benefactors of ten guineas or more at one donation are governors for life; but the medical officers of the institution only can determine on the propriety of admitting patients. Medicines are provided at the expense of the Dispensary, and wine and support at the expense of the institution. Persons not objects of charity are received, they or their friends paying two shillings per day, and finding their own medical attendants and medicines. Others, to whom these terms would be inconvenient, are admitted and given medicine, including wine if prescribed, on two shillings per day being paid by their friends or the parish. The apothecary of the Dispensary attends patients once a day, and at such other times as the attending physician may appoint. A stock of bed-clothes and apparel are supplied to the patients by loan or gift, as may be thought necessary. Patients are also attended at their own houses; and the inspector is charged with the purification of the houses and apparel of the infected poor.
The following is an abstract of the accounts of the Fever Hospital, from 1st May, 1825, to 1st May, 1826,
This institution is under the direction of 12 governors, and of 12 others who are subscribers to the Dispensary. The following form the present establishment:—
Patron, His Grace the Duke of Northumberland. President, The Honourable and Right Reverend the Lord Bishop of Durham. Vice-presidents, The Mayor of Newcastle for the time being; Sir M. W. Ridley, Bart. M. P.; C. J. Brandling, Esq. M. P. (dec); William Ord, Esq. M. P.; Cuthbert Ellison, Esq. M. P. Treasurer, John Anderson, Esq. Secretary, Mr. Henry Edmondston. Committee, R. H. Williamson, Esq.; The Rev. W. Turner; Matthew Carr, Esq.; Robert Ormston, Esq.; Nathaniel Clayton, Esq.; William Peters, Esq.; Ralph Atkinson, Esq.; Isaac Cookson, Esq.; Rev. J. Collinson, rector of Gateshead; Thomas Shadforth, Esq.; and the physicians and surgeons of the Dispensary. Matron, Mrs. Henderson. Inspector, Mr. Henderson.