Roger Whitley's Diary 1684-1697 Bodleian Library, Ms Eng Hist C 711. Originally published by [s.n.], [s.l.], 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
November. 1. Tuesday, the Poore Gownemen dined with me at the new house with the Mason, Paver, also the Citty Officers according to custome; they dined in the first roome; I & some frinds with me in the Parlor; Charlotte & Sidney came to [to] me; & we lay at Angell's.
2. Wednesday, I went to the Penthouse at 11; dined at home, some frinds with us; lay there that night.
3. Thursday, dined the Bishop & clergy (..........)(some of the stayd all day interl crossed out) (I went to the Penthouse at 4; had an entertainment there (being the Kings birhday) there were severall Aldermen, Recorder, Sheriffe, &c. also the Towne major, Lee, my sonne ..Luke Lloyd; had bonfire there, at home severall frids with me, &c crossed out.) [fo. 151r] 4. Friday, dined at home, (Lee with us) at 4 went to the Penthouse (being the King's birthday, had an entertainment by the Treasurers; there were severall Aldermen, Recorder, Sheriffs, Towne Major, Lee, sonne, Morgan, Luke Lloyd, &c.) had bonfires there, at home (with illuminations interl.) severall frinds with me, & parted at 9.
5. Satorday, Gunpowder Treason day, went to the Penthouse; proclaimed the Thanksgiving day; the severall companyes appeared in theire gownes with banners, &c. went to the Great Church (in usuall manners interl.) my chaplain preached; dined at home with G.Mainwaring, Johnson, theire wifes, daughters &c. went at 5 to visit the Deane, then the Bishop; came home before 7; had a bonfire; many more in towne; with illuminations; severall frinds stayd with me till past 9, &c. Mr Taylor, Streete, G.Mainwaring, & others.
6. Sonday, was not at church; Lady Bellot, sister Whitley, theire daughters, L. Lloyd, sonne, severall frinds dined with me; in the evening G.Mainwaring & some other frinds came; stayd till 9.
7. Monday, went to the Court; severall Aldermen, Recorder, Sheriffs, Lawyers, Gleg, Angell & severall others dined with me; G.Mainwaring, Streete, Booth, Comberbach were with me in the evening about the militia; Johnson &c. came afterwards; parted past 9.
8. Tuesday, I went to the Court to take a verdict (of the day before) then the Assembly met; (the list was cald over interl.) 2 Poore Gownes disposed of by lot; afterwards a plummers petition (to be made free) was read; the Aldermen, Justices & Sheriffs voted for it & named the fine; Alderman Wilson refused to vote, objecting that he was not called in his proper place; (Alderman Starkey did the like) they were called as single Aldermen after the Sheriffs according to the usual & ancient custome of the old Charter; it caused a great hurly-burly by the new charter men with some passionate & indecent expressions; soe I dissolved the Assembly; went home; G.Mainwaring, Parry & a frind or 2 more dined with me; after diner I went to G.Mainwarings; there was Henry, Kirke & another about an information of burning the Chappell; the Deane came to speake with me, did not stay; they came to my house, (all but Henry) severall witnesses were examined but could find no materiall evidence; the Deane came agen to speake with me in the outer roome, stayd not; then Streete & I went to Charles Griffith's; G.Mainwaring, Johnson, Murray, Cratchley, Deane after us; also Bolton, Robinson, Croughton, Gerard, &c. we parted at 9; went home.
9. Wednesday, dined at home, Mrs Crofts with us; Streete, G.Mainwaring, Johnson, came after diner; we left them, took coach about 3; called at the Bars (my sonne with us) came home about 5.
10. Thursday, Huson went past 7 towards Mold; It was Thanksgiving day but I could not goe to church.
11. Friday, Angell dined with us, went agen about 4; Moses went to meete Huson at Mold; Bowker & Casterton retorned from Shotwick.
12. Satorday, Hickson went past 11 to Chester; retorned at 4; Griffith & carts came from Shotwick & Burges with a doe.
13. Sonday, was not at church; Morgan came about 8.
14. Monday, Danold came about 1 to trim us; dined in the buttry; went past 4; Huson came in the evening, stayd all night.
15. Tuesday, Captaine Dorington, Colson, Partington, Darlington & another dined with us; went about 3 & 4.
16. Wednesday, no company.
17. Thursday, no company, & Bowker & Kesterson came to work.
18. Friday, Griffith went to Lach & Nixon to Chester; James Ward came to speake with me past 10; Salmon came past 11, dined with us; also Jones the sadler; after diner came another cheesefactor to speake with Morgan & a man from Salop to speake with Huson & Neild with his bill; they all went about 3; Walforne went to Utkinton & Houseman to Chester, &c. stayd out all night.
19. Satorday, cosen Morgan went early to Chester; afterwards Nixon; Cadwalader brought 2 does; Huson went home at 6.
20, Sonday, I was not at church; my sonne & Walforne went in the afternoone; Houseman retorned about 8.
21. Monday, Dutton went with a cart to Shotwick; Mrs Crofts & Bolland dined here, went about 4; Huson went abroad at 1; retorned late.
22. Tuesday, Cadwalader went towards Frodesly; Bowker & the miller came to talke of work, &c. barber trimmed me; dined with us; also Ned Burrows & Dob in the buttry, they all went at 3; Morgan came about 4.
23. Wednesday, no company.
24. Thursday, Alban Gray & Isack came past 9 to speake with cosen Morgan; Gray dined with me, Isack with the servants; Hughes was also here; they went about 4.
25. Friday, my sonne & Morgan went towards London about 11; soone after came Streete, G.Mainwaring & Comberbach; they went about 4; Huson went home about 6; Cartright went early to Brombrow & Shotwick (& Nixon to Chester interl.) retorned about 7.
26. Satorday, no company; nor any thing observable.
27. Sonday, was not at church; Walforne went in the afternoone.
28. Monday, Mr Gerard & his brother dined with us; went about 4; & Huson came about 11.
29. Tuesday, Bromley & his wife came at night came to see us past 2, went about 4; settled accounts with Huson.
30. Wednesday, no company.