Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 7, Navy Board Officials 1660-1832. Originally published by University of London, London, 1978.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Assistant Surveyors 1689-1823
The office of Assistant Surveyor, to which appointments were made by Admiralty warrant, was created in 1689 with a salary of £300. (fn. 1) In 1695 a second official, known as an Extra Instrument to the Surveyor to inspect the building and repair of ships, was appointed by Admiralty order on the recommendation of the Navy Board, at a salary of £150. (fn. 1) Both offices were abolished in 1698. (fn. 1) The office of Assistant Surveyor was revived in 1699 with a salary of £150, (fn. 1) increased to £300 in 1705. (fn. 1) The office was not filled between 1706 and 1714 when the Surveyorship was held jointly. It was revived in 1714, (fn. 1) but again left vacant in 1715 on the promotion of Acworth, the then Assistant Surveyor, to the Surveyorship. Between 1716 and 1729 an allowance of £150 was made available to an official, usually known as an Extra Instrument to the Surveyor, who was appointed by Admiralty order on the recommendation of the Navy Board. (fn. 1) In 1729 the then Extra Assistant was appointed by Admiralty warrant to the revived post of Assistant Surveyor at a salary of £300. (fn. 1) The Assistant Surveyorship was left vacant, 1746-9 and 1755-71, when the Surveyorship was held jointly.
In 1771 two new posts of First Assistant and Second Assistant Surveyor were created with salaries of £300 and £200 respectively. Appointments to the offices were made by Admiralty warrant. (fn. 1) The office of Second Assistant was not filled between 1793 and 1796. The salary of the First Assistant was increased to £400 in 1796 and to £600 in 1807, and that of the Second Assistant to £250 in 1796 and to £400 in 1807. (fn. 1) The office of Second Assistant was not filled after 1815 and that of First Assistant after 1823.
|1695||21 Nov.||Phillips, J.|
|1716||16 June||Fellowe, T.|
|1718||15 Aug.||Poole, J.|
|1720||8 Sept.||Mills, W.|