An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
45. GREAT MISSENDEN.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxviii. N.W. (b)xxxviii. N.E. (c)xxxviii. S.W. (d)xxxviii. S.E.)
d (1). Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, stands on the N. side of Abbey Park; the walls are covered with rough-cast, except part of the S. wall of the chancel and the modern walls of the N. aisle, which are of flint and stone; the foundations contain a quantity of Denner Hill stone; the N. and S. walls of the chancel are re-faced inside with modern flint. The roofs are flat pitched and covered with lead. The plan possibly indicates the existence of a cruciform church in the 12th century. The Chancel, Nave, Transepts, Aisles and the West Tower were all built, or re-built c. 1340. In the second half of the 15th century the clearstorey was added and several windows were inserted. About the middle of the 16th century the top stage of the tower was added or re-built, the South Porch built, and the nave arcades were restored; the chancel arch was probably widened about the same time. In 1732 the tower was extended towards the S., probably on account of a settlement of the foundations on that side. The N. aisle was widened and the church considerably restored in 1899–1900. The tower was repaired in 1906. The North Porch, the Vestries and the Organ-Chamber, on the site of a 14th-century vestry, are modern.
Architectural Description — The Chancel (31 ft. by 19 ft.) has an E. window of five lights, all modern, except the internal jambs and rear arch, of c. 1340, which are elaborately moulded, one member having a moulded base and foliated capital; the two-centred rear arch has a band of foliage and a moulded label; the soffit of the arch has a moulded rib, resting on carved headstops, and a band of four-leaved ornament; the sill inside has been cut down to suit the modern retable of the altar; on each side of the window is a niche (see Fittings). In the N. wall, opening into the vestry, is a 14th-century doorway, with moulded jambs and two-centred head, re-set and much restored, and with a modern label; on a stone in the soffit is scratched the word Deus in black-letter; higher up in the wall, towards the E., is an arcade of seven bays with moulded detached supports, and straight-sided pointed heads with carved crockets, finials and intermediate pinnacles, entirely restored, except one of the supports, two moulded bases and the E. respond, which are of the 14th century; the string-course below the arcade is modern; at the W. end of the wall is a modern arch opening into the organ-chamber. In the S. wall are three windows; the easternmost is of four lights in a two-centred head, with moulded internal jambs, rear arch, and label which has carved head-stops, all of the 14th century; the uncusped tracery is of the 18th century; the two western windows are of c. 1340, much restored, and each of two trefoiled ogee lights and tracery in a two-centred head, with a modern external label; the rear arch and splays are moulded, and the internal label has headstops: the string-course below the windows is modern: under the westernmost window is a low-side window of two pointed trefoiled lights; much of the external stonework is modern, but the moulded inner jambs and flat rear arch are of the 14th century; the W. splay is pierced by a squint from the S. transept: between the eastern windows is a blocked doorway, with 14th-century moulded jambs and two-centred head, much restored externally; the internal jambs and rear arch, which resemble those of the doorway in the N. wall, are probably not in situ. The chancel arch, of two chamfered orders, has much restored jambs with 14th-century moulded capitals; the bases are modern; the slightly four-centred form of the arch and the larger stones used in the upper part show that it was re-built, probably in the 16th century. The Nave (60 ft. by 19 ft.) has N. and S. arcades, of four bays, with columns formed by four segmental shafts on a square pier; the moulded capitals and bases differ in detail, the bases are much mutilated, and all appear to have been re-cut and restored; the two-centred arches are of two chamfered orders, the inner order having moulded stops, except over the responds; the moulded labels have small grotesque head-stops; over each E. respond is a four-centred opening into the former rood-loft. The 15th-century clearstorey has five windows on each side, all of two trefoiled ogee lights, with foiled spandrels under depressed heads. The North Transept (20 ft. by 15½ ft.) has, in the E. wall, a window of c. 1360, and of two cinque-foiled ogee lights and tracery under a square head; the rear arch and inner jambs are moulded: the entrance to the organ-chamber is modern; over it is a doorway to the rood-loft similar to those in the nave; in the soffit are traces of a stair-turret, probably blocked or destroyed when the organ-chamber was built. In the N. wall is a late 14th-century window of three lights with pierced foiled spandrels, in a square head; the side lights are trefoiled and the wider central light has feathered cusping. In the W. wall is an arcade of two bays, with two-centred arches, each of two chamfered orders; the S. arch is of 14th-century material, re-set when the aisle was widened; the N. arch and the central column are modern. The South Transept (21 ft. by 15 ft.) has, in the E. wall, two windows, the northern is of late 15th-century date, partly restored, and of three cinque-foiled lights with tracery, under a four-centred head and a moulded label; the southern window is of c. 1340, and of two trefoiled ogee lights and tracery in a pointed head. The window in the S. wall is similar to the 15th-century window, in the E. wall. In the W. wall is a single trefoiled light of the 14th century, and the 14th-century arch, opening into the S. aisle, is of two chamfered orders, without responds. In the N.E. corner of the transept over the squint to the chancel, is a niche (see Fittings). The North Aisle (17½ ft. wide) has, re-set in the modern N. wall, two late 15th-century windows; the eastern is of three trefoiled lights and tracery in a two-centred head, much restored; the western window is of three trefoiled ogee lights and tracery in a two-centred head; the inner jambs, rear arch and label are moulded, and the sill has been cut down: between the windows is a re-used 14th-century doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred arch; the label is modern. The South Aisle (8 ft. wide) has two windows in the S. wall, similar to the western window in the N. wall of the N. aisle, and between them is a 15th-century doorway, with moulded jambs and two-centred arch; the external label is moulded and has scroll ends. In the W. wall is a small doorway, with chamfered jambs and pointed arch, opening into the stair-turret of the tower. The West Tower (12 ft. square) is of three stages, and has an embattled parapet, with a 16th-century gargoyle at the N.E. angle, and traces of another at the S.E. angle; the 18th-century extension on the S. side contains a winding staircase in the lower stages; in the highest stage it forms part of the bell-chamber. The 14th-century tower arch is of three large chamfered orders, and the square jambs have chamfered edges. The late 15th-century W. doorway has heavily moulded jambs and two-centred arch; the S. jamb and both the bases have been restored; the rear arch was cut away when the window above it was inserted; the window is part of a late 15th-century window, probably removed from the W. wall of one of the aisles, and is of three trefoiled lights under a four-centred arch. In the second stage the N., S. and W. walls have each a trefoiled ogee light of the 14th-century; that in the S. wall has been converted into a doorway from the stair-turret, and is uncusped. The 16th-century windows of the bell-chamber, in the N., S. and E. walls, are each of two plain four-centred lights under a square head; the W. wall has, on the N. side, a small round-headed opening, and, in the middle, part of a late 13th-century window of three cinque-foiled lights and tracery, with elaborately moulded jambs and mullions, which have carved capitals inside; the present square lintel is made up with old moulded stones; this window was brought from Missenden Abbey (see below) and inserted in its present position probably in 1732, as it is in the middle of the present width of the wall. A number of moulded stones from the abbey are set inside the walls of the bell-chamber, and the second stage also contains a few worked stones. The North Porch is modern. The South Porch has a 16th-century entrance archway, with moulded jambs and two-centred head, restored with cement. In the N. wall is a 16th-century window of two lights, with chamfered jambs and mullion, and a square head and sill, rebated for a shutter; it is now blocked, and restored with cement. The 15th-century Roof of the chancel is of three bays, with four large moulded principal beams, and curved brackets resting on plain wood corbels; all the timbers are moulded. The 15th-century roof of the nave has six large trusses, supported by large curved brackets with pierced tracery, resting on stone corbels, with carved angels holding plain shields; all the timbers are moulded. The roofs of the transepts are of the same date and design as that of the chancel, but plainer, and without bracket supports or corbels. In the N. aisle are some 15th-century moulded timbers, re-used, and two of the corbels are of the same date. The S. aisle has a flat lean-to roof of the 15th or 16th century; it is of six bays, with plaster panels, divided by moulded beams, one supported on an old wood corbel; three carved stone corbels mark the lower level of the former roof.
Fittings—Bells: seven, 1st by Richard Keene, 1692, 2nd by Joseph Carter, 1603, 3rd, 1640, and 5th, 1623, by Ellis Knight. Bracket: in S. jamb of tower arch, small fragment. Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In S. transept— on E. wall, apparently removed from Missenden Abbey, (1) to John Iwardeby (date not filled in) and Katherine, his wife, daughter of Bernard de Mussenden, 'patron of this Abbey of Mussenden', 1436, inscription only, black-letter, (2) to Zacheus Metcalfe, 1595, and Margaret, his mother, wife of Christopher Metcalf, 1596, Latin inscription Roman capitals, with helm and crest—a maiden's head having chaplet of roses; in N.E. corner, in niche, (3) of a woman, small, no inscription, early 16th-century. Indents (see Floor-slabs). Door: in W. doorway of tower, with double leaves, moulded framing and large rail, bevelled panels, probably late 15th-century. Font: of the 'Aylesbury' type, of clunch, octagonal bowl with rounded sides, stem with roll and cheveron moulding, square base with inverted scallops, the semi-circular sunk panels at sides richly carved, late 12th-century, sides of bowl re-cut to present shape in the 15th or 16th century. Glass: in low-side window, S. wall of chancel, fragments, white and gold, with patterns of foliage, part of inscription in black-letter, apparently 'Sct Tri', and some plain white quarries, probably 14th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In S. aisle—on S. wall, (1) to William Bois, 1631, inscription in round-headed recess, with voussoirs representing books, broken pediment with shields, and small figure representing Death. In N. aisle—on N. wall, (2) to Jane, daughter of Thomas Walker, and wife, first of Daniel Bond, and afterwards of Sir John Boys, knight, of Canterbury, 1635, tablet of slate with inscription, in white marble frame, with curved pediment and cartouche charged with arms; over N. door, (3) to Ann, daughter of Thomas Boys, and wife of Thomas Eayrs, 1637, tablet with Corinthian columns and pediment, inscription, and lozenge with arms and crest. Floor-slabs: In N. transept— near E. wall, (1) with long incised cross having foliated head, and indents of two shields, probably late 14th-century. In nave—in front of chancel step, (2) to Robert Dormer, 'Baron de Wing', 1656; the inscription has the prayer 'cujus animae propitietur Deus'. In S. transsept—at E. end, (3) part of slab with shield bearing arms, no inscription, possibly late 17th-century. Niches: on each side of E. window of chancel, large, with two-centred vaulted head, moulded jambs having moulded bases and foliated capitals, jambs and head enriched with small four-leafed ornament, etc., the projecting bases, side buttresses, and crocketed canopies destroyed, traces of colour remain, 14th-century: in S. transept, between windows in E. wall, with double ogee moulded jambs, two-centred head, and small sunk foiled spandrels, 14th-century, in the niche, basin of piscina, not in situ: over squint to chancel, jambs of similar niche, with slightly different head, not in situ. Painting: in recess, E. wall of N. transept, said to have represented the Virgin and Child, figures entirely defaced, background, with tapestry pattern in vermilion and black, possibly 14th or 15th-century: in head of smaller recess in same wall, foliated pattern (see Niches and Miscellanea). Piscinæ: in chancel, tall, with traceried head, moulded jambs, shelf, and remains of formerly projecting cinque-foiled basin, 14th-century, restored with cement, buttresses with pinnacles and crocketed canopy now cut away flush with wall; in E. wall of N. transept, small, with chamfered jambs and arch, probably 14th-century, basin modern. Recesses: in N. wall of chancel, square, with moulded jambs and traceried cinque-foiled head of 14th-century window inserted in it: in same wall, blocked squint from original vestry, with splayed sides: in E. wall of N. transept, with flat arch, slightly curved at apex, and splayed jambs, traces of label and finial, probably 14th-century: in same wall, smaller, with flattened head, traces of label, probably not in situ: near N. door of N. aisle, small, square. Screens: in second stage of tower, part of screen, with four and a half cinque-foiled heads of panels having pierced spandrels, two square balusters with chamfered edges, loose, probably 14th-century. Seating: in desks of front seats in both transepts, twenty-two traceried heads of panels, re-used, 15th-century. Sedilia: under easternmost window in S. wall of chancel, projecting stone seat, part of small shallow niche in W. jamb, three bays of tracery on the wall, originally with elaborate canopies and supports, 14th-century, restored with cement. Stoup: near N. doorway of N. aisle, with pointed head, half basin destroyed, probably 15th-century: near S. door of S. aisle, small, with cinque-foiled head and chamfered jambs, 15th-century. Tiles: in floor of chancel, N. and S. of altar, a number, from Missenden Abbey, three with foliage and three shields (1) a mill-rind cross, (2) three cheverons, (3) a cross, another with shield bearing three crescents, four with cross and inscription 'Signum sc' e crucis', other tiles with figures and various designs. Miscellanea: on back of sedilia, traces of consecration cross, incised and painted: in recess at E. end of N. transept, worked stone with incised letters, E T N and a shield with arms, three stags tripping, probably late 15th or early 16th-century: small moulded capital, fragment of carving, and crocket, 14th-century. In churchyard, S. of the tower, moulded stone from jamb of window, apparently 14th-century.
Condition—Structurally sound; some windows have decayed stonework; the rough-cast is breaking off the S. porch.
d(2). The Castle, 2/3 mile S.E. of the church, is an enclosure of simple plan, situated almost at the top of a hill in Rook Wood, about 560 ft. above O.D. The origin of the work is doubtful; it belongs possibly to the class of mediæval manorial strongholds, but, owing to the levels, the ditches can never have held water. It covers about 1½ acres and is nearly square. The defences at the strongest point consist of a rampart 11 ft. high and 39 ft. wide, and a ditch 7 ft. deep and 33½ ft. wide. The entrance, in the middle of the N.E. side, is about 20 ft. wide, with a causeway across the ditch; on the S.W. is another entrance, probably modern.
d(3). Homestead Moat, with ramparts and outworks, situated in Reddingwick Wood ¼ mile N.E. of the church, and about 600 ft. above O.D., is remarkable for the strength of its defences. The work consists of a nearly rectangular enclosure contained within a wet ditch, having an interior rampart and an exterior bank; its entrance is further defended by a second moat, now dry, which forms a second and much narrower island on the W. Enclosing the inner work on three sides is a bank and ditch of inferior strength, with a further incomplete extension to the S.W.
Dimensions—Of inner work: area, including defences, 1¼ acres; inner rampart, 10 ft., outer rampart, 6½ ft. above bottom of ditch, which is 43 ft. wide. Outer work: area, approximately 4 acres.
Condition—Of inner work, fairly good; of outer work, much denuded.
c (4). Homestead Moat, a fragment at Moat Farm, Prestwood, nearly 2 miles W. of the church.
d (5). Bury Farm, house and moat, about ¾ mile N.E. of the church. The House is two-storeyed, built late in the 17th century, of red brick with blue burnt headers. The roof is tiled, and half-hipped at each end of the main block. The plan is roughly T-shaped. Some of the windows have been blocked. The chimney stacks are original; the central stack has one square shaft with panelled sides. Some of the rooms on the ground floor have plain ceiling-beams.
Of the Moat only fragments remain.
Condition—Of house, good.
d(6). Missenden Abbey, 300 yards W. of the church. The present main building, of two storeys and an attic, is of square or courtyard plan and is on the site of the cloister; the abbey church, which stood N. of the cloister, has been completely destroyed; much of the walling of the E. range of the claustral buildings remains in the E. wing of the house, although no mediæval details are visible in the masonry; the walls of the S. wing of the house are partly those of the frater, and there are probably also remains of the W. range, but the area of the cloister garter has been almost entirely filled in, and many other alterations have been made to the house. The walls are covered with modern plaster; the roofs are tiled. The lower storey of the E. wing was apparently the undercroft below the dorter of the abbey, and has plain ceiling-beams; the kitchen is on the site of the chapter house, but no trace remains of the original arrangement. In the upper storey the 15th-century roof of the dorter is visible and is of five bays, forming four-centred moulded arches, with cambered tie-beams; the purlins have curved wind-braces. In the garden, E. of the house, is a summer-house, made up of a 13th-century moulded arch of clunch with dog-tooth ornament, and some moulded vaulting ribs and shafts with capitals. Materials from the abbey have been considerably used in the restoration of the church (see above).
Church Street, N. side
d (7). The Gables, is a house of two storeys and an attic, built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century, but almost entirely re-faced with modern brick, timber and rough-cast. The roofs are tiled. The plan was L-shaped, but modern additions have been made. The S. front has three projecting gables, and three bay windows with iron casements and leaded panes. The W. wall and the back are gabled. Two chimney stacks are original, a third is apparently old, but restored. Interior:—In the ceiling of the present hall are two old beams, with carved supports, brought from elsewhere. The original hall, now the dining-room, has a hollow-chamfered beam in the ceiling, and the walls are covered with early 17th-century oak panelling; the overmantel is of 16th-century carved oak, made up with modern work, and has small carved figures, brought from elsewhere; the panelled door is of early 17th-century date, with ornamental hinges. On the first floor one room has richly moulded oak panelling of the 17th century, made up with deal; several doors are probably of the 17th century, some have strap hinges. The winding stairs from the first floor to the attic are original. The old purlins and wind-braces of the roof are visible.
Condition—Good, much restored.
d(8). House, E. of the Swan Inn, was built probably late in the 16th or early in the 17th century; the walls are covered with modern cement; the roof is tiled. The plan is L-shaped, and original thin bricks show in the chimney stack.
Condition—Good, completely restored.
d (9). The Swan Inn, is of two storeys, built in the 17th century, and timber-framed; the walls have been re-faced with modern brick and tile-hanging. The roof is tiled. The large square central chimney stack is of original bricks, restored at the top. On the ground floor the rooms have chamfered beams or exposed joists in the ceilings, and there is a wide, open fireplace. On the first floor the constructional timbers show in some of the walls.
d (10). Panelling, and other woodwork, of late 17th-century date, in a house at the corner of the street, near the main road. On the ground floor, round a fireplace, is some wood carving, and there are several panelled doors. In the attic, at the top of the staircase, and used as a partition, is some panelling with carved moulding.
Main road, E. side
d (11). House, formerly an inn, at the corner of Church Lane, is of two storeys, with an attic at one end, built of brick and timber early in the 17th century, and re-fronted with red and blue bricks c. 1690; the large gateway leading from the front to the yard at the back has been filled in. The roof is tiled. The plan is L-shaped, the wings extending towards the S. and E.; modern additions have been made at the N. end and between the wings. The large central chimney stack has four square shafts, set diagonally on a square base, and moulded at the top. Interior:—On the ground floor most of the rooms have chamfered beams in the ceilings, and there is a large wide fireplace, now fitted with shelves. On the first floor is a 17th-century door of moulded battens.
d (12). House, now divided into the Buckingham Arms Hotel, two dwellings and a shop, was built probably in the 16th century, of brick and timber; the N.E. wing was added c. 1690, and is of brick; the whole building is now covered with modern plaster, and much restored. The roofs are tiled. The timber construction of the walls is visible in several rooms, and in one room can be seen the tie-beams and wind-braces of the roof. The staircase in the hotel is of late 17th-century date, and has moulded handrails and turned balusters.
Condition—Good, much restored.
d (13). House, adjoining the S. side of the George Inn, about 500 yards W. of the church, is of two storeys, built probably in the 16th century, and timber-framed; the back retains some of the original plaster filling, the front has been re-faced with brick in the 18th and 19th centuries, and at the N. end the original timbers remain, with modern brick filling. The roof is tiled. The plan is of the central chimney type, with a modern addition at the back. The chimney stack is of old thin bricks, restored at the top. Inside the house the two rooms on the ground floor have large stop-chamfered beams in the ceiling, and the walls on both floors show the timber construction.
d (14). The George Inn, is of two storeys, built of timber and plaster probably at the end of the 15th century; part of the house was added probably in the 17th century, and the external walls have been almost completely restored with brick in the 18th and 19th centuries. The roof is tiled. The plan is now square, with a projecting wing at the back, either re-built or a modern addition. The front is covered with modern plaster and has a covered gateway at the S. end; the back has a gable at the N. end, with original timber-framing, and 18th-century or modern brick filling. The gateway has one old post in the S. wall of the house, the rest of the wall is of modern brick, but the original timbers of the first floor can be seen where the gateway was heightened, probably to admit stage-coaches. Interior:—The tap-room and the adjoining passages were originally one room, with moulded crossway beams in the ceiling; on the N. side is a moulded cornice, possibly of plaster coloured to represent oak; the moulded wall-posts, partly cut away, are visible under the cornice; on the S. side is a wide fireplace with a 17th-century oak lintel. The room over the tap-room has a 15th-century truss in the roof, with a high pointed arch, wind-braced purlins on each side, and a collar-beam ceiling. The walls of the room over the gateway show the timber-framing.
A long outbuilding, behind the inn, is of two storeys, built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century. On the N.W. front the lower storey is of brick, and the overhanging upper storey is timber-framed with whitewashed brick filling of a later date; the roof is tiled. The ends of the building are gabled; at the back both storeys are in one plane and are timber-framed with filling of original thin bricks; near the N.E. end is an original mullioned window, now blocked. On the ground floor are heavy ceiling-beams with curved struts below them; and the open timber roof has queen-post trusses with braced tie-beams.
d (15–19). Houses, several, N. of the George Inn, are all of two storeys, built in the 17th century and much restored. The roofs are tiled. The southernmost House, now two tenements, has a gable at the S. end with remains of 17th-century brick and timber; all the other walls have been restored. Inside the house the timber construction is visible in the walls and ceilings. A long row of Buildings, including the Crown Inn, are all covered with modern rough-cast in front, and have modern additions at the back. At the S. end of the row are some original bricks in the wall, and two original chimney stacks with square shafts; at the N. end the upper storey projects. Interior:—On the ground floor one large fireplace has been partly filled in, and some beams in the ceilings are encased. On the first floor the timbers are visible in the walls of some of the rooms. The front of the House N. of the Crown Inn is partly of modern brick, and partly covered with rough-cast, and the rectangular chimney stack is of old thin bricks. The Cross Keys Inn has a plastered front, and at the back is some original timber-framing with modern brick filling. The central chimney stack has an old base and modern shafts. The House N. of the Cross Keys Inn has an 18th-century brick front, and two 17th-century chimney stacks with attached square shafts.
Condition—Of all the houses, fairly good, much restored.
d (20). Cudsden's Cottage, about ½ mile N.E. of the church, on the road to Chesham, is of two storeys, built late in the 17th century, of red and blue bricks, with some flint, partly restored in the 19th century. The roof is tiled. The plan is rectangular, with modern additions at each end. The central chimney stack is original, and has square shafts built of thin bricks, restored at the top.
d (21). Hyde Farm, nearly a mile S.E. by E. of the church, is of two storeys, built probably early in the 16th century, and now much restored. The lower storey is of ffint with brick dressings, restored with modern brick; the upper storey is timber-framed, and covered with modern rough-cast; the roof is tiled, and at each end is a half-hipped gable. The plan is of the central chimney type, with a small modern staircase wing on the S. The chimney stack, of original thin bricks, has square shafts with oversailing courses at the top. Interior:—On the ground floor two of the rooms have wide, open fireplaces, one partly blocked; in the ceilings are large chamfered beams and heavy exposed joists; one doorway, probably originally external, has solid chamfered oak jambs, and a four-centred head with sunk spandrels.
d (22–23). Houses, two, nearly a mile E. by S. of the church, are each of two storeys, built of flint, brick and timber in the 17th century, but much restored. The roofs are tiled. The eastern house is rectangular, and at the N. end retains the original timber-framing with brick filling. The central chimney stack has square shafts of original thin bricks, and one shaft is modern. The second house has been partly re-built with 17th-century timbers brought from elsewhere.
Condition—Good, much restored.
d(24). Hammondshall Farm, 1⅓ miles N.E. of the church, is a two-storeyed building, timber-framed, with brick and plaster filling; the roof is tiled. The house was built in the 17th century, enlarged and restored in the 19th century. The plan is rectangular, with a small gabled projection in front. The large chimney stack is of thin bricks. Interior:—On the ground floor are some exposed beams and joists in the ceilings, and an open fireplace, now blocked. Two doors are of moulded battens, one door being partly restored. An outbuilding attached to the house has some 17th-century brick in the walls.
Condition—Fairly good, much restored and enlarged.
b (25). Field End Grange, about 1½ miles N. of the church, is a house of two storeys; it was built of brick and timber, probably in the 16th century, much restored, and the external walls considerably re-built with brick in the 18th century. The roof is tiled. The plan is rectangular, facing E. At the N. end the upper storey retains the original timber-framing and the filling is partly of thin bricks. At the back the gable is original, and at the S. end is a large projecting chimney stack, the lower part of squared clunch, and the upper part of thin bricks, restored in the 18th century. Interior:—On the ground floor is a wide, open fireplace, and the ceilings have large chamfered beams; one original door remains and has strap-hinges. On the first floor is another open fireplace with a four-centred arch, of stone; some wide oak boards remain in the floor, and the trusses of the roof, with curved wind-braces, are visible.
Condition—Good, lately renovated.
d(26). Ballinger Farm, about 1½ miles N.E. of the church, is a house of two storeys, built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century, and entirely re-faced in the 18th century with red and blue bricks, except part of the wall at the back, which retains the original timber-framing with filling of brick and plaster, but is hidden by a small 18th-century addition. The upper storey and the gable at the S.E. end are covered with cement. The roof is tiled. One chimney stack has three square shafts of thin bricks. Interior:—On the ground floor the principal room has two large stop-chamfered beams in the ceiling, and a wide fireplace with a wood lintel; the passage has exposed joists in the ceiling. On the first floor the timber construction shows in the walls. The plain staircase is partly original.
d(27). Crawley Farm, about 1½ miles N.E. of the church, is a house of two storeys, built of brick and timber early in the 17th century, partly re-faced with 18th-century red and blue bricks; the back is covered with modern rough-cast. The roof is tiled. The plan is of the central chimney type, with a small wing at the back. The square chimney stack is partly of 17th-century brick. Both the rooms on the ground floor have large open fireplaces; in one room the ceiling has an exposed beam and joists.
d(28). Cottage, about 1½ miles N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, built in the 16th century, of brick and timber; the wing at the N. end was added probably in the 17th century; and restorations were made in the 18th and 19th centuries. The roof is tiled. The plan is L-shaped, the wings extending towards the S. and E. In front the S. part of the lower storey has been re-faced with modern brick; the projecting upper storey is supported on large beams and joists, and is covered with rough-cast; the N. part is gabled and re-faced with 18th-century brick. The back and ends of the house are timber-framed, with modern brick filling. The square chimney stack is covered with cement. In the original building one room has a massive ceiling-beam and large exposed joists; the open fireplace has been partly blocked. In the 17th century wing one room has an exposed beam and joists in the ceiling, and an open fireplace with chamfered brick jambs and a three-centred head.
Condition—Poor; the N. part is used only for storing purposes.
a(29). Grim's Ditch (see also Aston Clinton, Bradenham, Buckland, Drayton Beauchamp, Great and Little Hampden, Lee, Monks Risborough, Princes Risborough and Wendover). The ditch is visible in a plantation N.E. of Woodlands Park, 12/3 miles N.E. of the church, and runs, with intervals, for about 2/3 mile in a S.W. direction, through the park to the railway, from which point it is obliterated for nearly two miles, until it re-appears in Oaken Grove, near Great Hampden. The rampart at the best section is 4 ft. above the bottom of the ditch, which is about 28 ft. wide.
d(30). Earthwork, apparently the remains of two adjoining enclosures, on Frith Hill, 1/8 mile N. of the church: too fragmentary for classification.