An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
(O.S. 6 in. xlviii. S.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, was re-built in the 19th century N. of the original site, on the E. side of the village, and contains the following fittings from the former church.
Fittings—Bell: on sill of W. window of tower, cracked, by Bryan Eldridge, 1640. Brasses and Indents: In chancel—on N. side, (1) of Margaret, wife of Edward Bulstrode, 1540, ten sons and three daughters, the inscription plate is palimpsest, on reverse, undated inscription (partly upside down) to Thomas Totyngton, abbot of Bury St. Edmunds, who died in 1312, over figures, indent of shield; (two pieces of the shield, also palimpsest, now at the Rectory, obverse quarterly 1, broken off, 2, paly, 3, a cheveron, 4, a stag's head with an arrow through the nostrils and a cross between the antlers, impaling a bend with three cinquefoils thereon, reverse part of representation of the Resurrection); on S. side, (2) of Robert Fulmer, 1498, and Joan his wife, two sons, two daughters and inscription, inscription does not fit indent, woman's figure apparently of earlier date (c. 1485). Font and Font-cover: circular bowl, of limestone, with eight small carvings, including three heads, one of a bishop, shields, Tudor rose, etc., probably cut in 15th century on 12th-century bowl, stem and base of clunch, late 15th-century; cover, of wood, 17th-century. Painting: in vestry, on canvas, of the ten commandments, with illustrations and Biblical explanations, probably 17th-century, given to the rector late in the 18th century. Plate: includes small stand paten of 1634 and cup of 1700. Miscellanea: in frame of S. wall of chancel, piece of red velvet, said to be part of cloak given by Charles I. for altar frontal.
(2). Homestead Moat, at Moat Farm, ¾ mile N.E. of the church, fragment.
(3). Shell House, about 400 yards N. of the church, is of two storeys, with cellars and attic; it was built late in the 17th century of red bricks, with blue burnt headers. The roofs are tiled. The plan is rectangular, with a modern addition on the N. Between the two storeys of the original block is a projecting string-course, and under the eaves a wood cornice, with modillions. The present flat hood over the doorway on the W. front probably replaces a semi-circular hood, of which only the richly carved wood brackets remain. The windows have moulded wood frames with mullions and transoms, and iron casements with original ornamental fastenings. On the N. side is a chimney with narrow arched panels in the sides. Interior:—Over the kitchen fireplace is the cornice of a carved and moulded wood overmantel of late 17th-century date. On the upper floor are several original doors of moulded battens, and a cupboard-door of similar character has ornamental hinges. The upper part of the staircase is original.
(4). Leith Grove, at Hedgerley Green, ½ mile N.E. of the church, is a rectangular house of two storeys, built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century, with a modern wing added at the back. The front has been re-faced with modern brick, but shows a fragment of the original timber-framing; at the back the lower storey is of late 17th-century red and blue bricks; the upper storey is timber-framed, with brick filling, partly original. The ends of the house are of original brick and timber. The roofs are tiled, and half-hipped at each end. The large central chimney stack has square shafts. Inside the house are some wide fireplaces partly filled in.
Condition—Fairly good; the E. wall bulges outwards, and is supported by two iron stays.