An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. xxix. N.W.)
(1). Parish Church of All Saints, on the E. side of the village green, is built of limestone rubble, with dressings of limestone and shelly oolite. The roofs are tiled. The Chancel was re-built in the first half of the 14th century, the Nave being probably of earlier origin, but nothing remains to show the exact date. A S. transept was added c. 1330, but early in the 16th century the South Aisle was built, and the walls of the transept were destroyed; the Bell-cot and the North Porch were probably built also in the 16th century, but the bell-cot externally is modern.
Architectural Description— The Chancel (23 ft. by 12½ ft.) has an E. window of two cinque-foiled lights and a quatrefoil in a two-centred head, with a moulded external label; the internal and external jambs have crudely worked shafts, with rough grotesque heads as capitals; the tracery is of the 16th century, but the opening may be older, re-worked in the 16th century, and now much restored. In the N. wall is a small 16th-century doorway, with an external label which has stops carved as monkeys' heads; at the W. end of the wall is a small low-side window with chamfered jambs and a square head. In the S. wall is a window of c. 1340, of two cinque-foiled lights and a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with an external label, which has headstops, one in a mail coif; all the stonework is elaborately moulded. The obtuse two-centred chancel arch is of two moulded orders; the jambs have half-octagonal pilasters, moulded capitals and bases; it is probably of the 14th century, re-cut in the 15th century, much scraped, and the bases almost completely restored. The Nave (32½ ft. by 14 ft.) has, in the N. wall, an early 15th-century window of three cinque-foiled lights under a four-centred head with a moulded external splay and label; the two-centred N. doorway is of the 14th century, with crudely moulded jambs, head and external label. The S. arcade is of two bays; the first bay originally opened into the transept, and the obtuse two-centred arch, of c. 1330, is of three chamfered orders; the responds have halfoctagonal pilasters with moulded capitals and bases; the second bay, inserted in the 16th century, has a two-centred drop-arch of two chamfered orders, with broad chamfered responds and a short length of original walling as a pier; W. of the arcade is a 15th-century window, originally external, now opening into the aisle, formerly of two cinque-foiled lights and a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the mullion and part of the quatrefoil are missing. The W. window is of mid 15th-century date, and of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head, with an external label, much defaced. The Bell-cot, over the W. end of the nave, is carried on four original braced posts, probably of the 16th century. The South Aisle (14 ft. wide) has a 16th-century E. window of three trefoiled lights in a four-centred head; in the N.E. corner is a deep recess with a wooden door, apparently the remains of a staircase to the rood-loft. The window in the S. wall is similar to the E. window, but much restored; the S. doorway, W. of the window, is of early 14th-century date, re-set; the jambs and head are continuously moulded. The window in the W. wall is similar to the E. window, but is slightly distorted owing to the adaptation of 15th-century material in the head. The North Porch has a rough pointed entrance archway, with chamfered edges, probably of the 16th century, and a loophole in the W. wall.
Fittings—Bells: three, 1st blank, 2nd with a meaningless inscription, 3rd by James Keene, 1621. Brackets: for images, two on each side of E. window of chancel, half-octagonal, 15th-century: S. of the E. window of aisle, square, 15th-century. Brasses and Indents: (see Monuments). Monuments: in S. aisle—against S. wall, (1) roughly worked altar tomb, marble slab at the top with indents of man in armour, woman in pedimental head-dress, figure of child, four shields, marginal inscription, said to be of Benedict Lee, 1547, but apparently of slightly earlier date. Piscinæ: in chancel, with trefoiled head, cusped cinquefoil bowl, 14th-century: in aisle, 14th-century, re-set, bowl modern or much restored. Sedile: in chancel under modern sill of S. window, projecting stone, possibly remains of sedile. Miscellanea: at W. end of nave, table, with drawer and sliding top, carved vase-shaped legs, of c. 1625, presented in 19th century: on N. side of E. respond of arcade, corbel and support for rood-loft and cornice of screen.
Condition—Fairly good; some cracks in N. wall of nave and chancel.
(2). Homestead Moat, E. of the church, is a very good example of its class.
(3). The Manor House, S. of the church, is of two storeys, built probably in the first quarter of the 17th century, and enlarged in the 18th and 19th centuries. The plan appears to have been originally L-shaped, the wings projecting towards the S. and W. The timber-framed walls have been encased with brick at different periods; the roofs are tiled. Inside the house is an oak staircase of early 17th-century date, which has square newels, with moulded caps, turned balusters and a moulded handrail; the upper half of the staircase hall retains the original timber-framing, and on the plaster filling are 17th-century paintings, much restored, representing Hercules and the Lion, Leda and the Swan, Jupiter with the signs of the Zodiac, and other subjects.
(4). House, now two cottages, on the W. side of the main road, about 150 yards S.W. of the church, is of two storeys, built early in the 17th century, and much restored; the walls are almost entirely re-faced with modern brick or covered with rough-cast, but some of the original timber-framing remains at the gabled W. end and at the back. The roof is tiled. The central chimney stack is built of 17th-century thin bricks. On the ground floor are two wide fireplaces, partly blocked, and the constructional timbers are visible.
Condition—Exterior, good; interior, poor.
(5). Cottage, 170 yards S.W. of the church, is of one storey and an attic, built of timber and brick in the 17th century. The roof is tiled. One room has an open fireplace and in the ceilings are old beams.
(6). Church Farm, about 150 yards N. of the church, is an early 17th-century house of two storeys and an attic, almost entirely encased in modern brick; some of the original timber-framing remains at the gabled N. end; the roof is tiled. The central chimney stack, built of thin bricks, is original.