An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. xxxvii. N.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Peter, in the village, is built of stone rubble, with hardstone dressings. The roofs are tiled. The Nave is of the 12th century; the Chancel was probably re-built in the 14th century, and subsequently much restored. A small transept formerly existed on the S. side of the nave, and the 14th-century arch which opened into it still remains. The Bell-turret was added in the 16th century. The whole building was restored and the North Porch built in 1890.
Architectural Description— The Chancel (17 ft. by 14 ft.) has an E. window of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head, which has been restored, but the jambs are probably of the 14th century. In the N. wall are two windows, the eastern a lancet, with modern external stonework; the internal stones are possibly original, but are covered with whitewash: the second window, of the 14th century, is a trefoiled ogee single light with a chamfered drop rear arch. In the S. wall are also two windows; the eastern, probably of late 14th-century date, is a trefoiled ogee single light in a square head; the single stone forming the head has a half-trefoil incised on each side of the light outside; the second window is a very small single light, with a trefoiled ogee head, apparently modern externally. The chancel and nave are divided by a low stone wall, on which stands the rood-screen; there is no chancel arch. The Nave (39½ ft. by 16 ft.) has in the N. wall one window of late 15th or early 16th-century date, and of two cinque-foiled round-headed lights, with sunk spandrels in a square head; the chamfered stone lintel is slightly cambered; the moulded external label has return stops; the 13th-century N. doorway has chamfered jambs and two-centred arch, with moulded abaci and a modern label. In the S. wall, at the E. end, is an arch of two chamfered orders, dying into square jambs with chamfered edges, probably of the 14th century; it originally opened into the former transept, and is now partly blocked and partly filled by a window of two lights, inserted late in the 18th or early in the 19th century; W. of the arch is a round-headed 12th-century doorway, now blocked; the jambs and head are apparently chamfered, and have grooved and chamfered abaci. In the W. wall is a trefoiled ogee window, possibly of the 14th century, re-set or altered in the 16th century; the wall is 4 ft. 3 in. thick, the N. and S. walls are only 2 ft. 9 in. thick. The Bell-turret retains the original timber-framing, covered by modern weather-boarding; the pyramidal roof and spire are covered with modern oak shingles. The moulded wall-posts rise from the floor of the nave, and on the E. side form an arch with curved struts and lintel; the four windows of the bell-chamber are partly original. The Roof of the nave has 16th-century collar-beams with a moulded wall-plate on the N. side; the ceiling is plastered.
Fittings—Bells: three, 1st, by Henry Knight, 1618, 2nd, by William Knight, 1586, 3rd, inscribed 'Sancta Margareta Ora Pro Nobis, W.H.', of pre-Reformation date, probably by William Hasylwood. Font and Font-cover: plain octagonal bowl, re-cut sides, rough stem, chamfered base, possibly 14th-century, or earlier date; cover of oak, flat, with central post and four ogee supports, probably late 17th-century, somewhat worm-eaten. Piscina: in the chancel, with trefoiled ogee head, chamfered jambs, broach stops, 14th-century. Plate: includes cup and cover paten of 1569. Roodscreen: on low stone wall, in chancel, about 4 ft. high, of carved oak, doorway with four-centred arch and tracery, five bays on each side, with cinque-foiled round heads, and tracery with double roses, moulded rail at the top, late 15th or early 16th-century, cornice modern. Miscellanea: on inner jambs of N.W. window of chancel, two small carvings—on E. jamb representation of the Trinity with two angels; on W. jamb, representation of St. Christopher, with staff broken, 15th or early 16th-century.
(2). Homestead Moat, S.E. of the church, fragment.
(3). Cottage, said to have been formerly the vicarage, on the E. side of the churchyard, is of two storeys, built of brick and timber in the 17th century, now much restored. The roof is tiled. One room has a wide fireplace and old beams in the ceiling.