An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxviii. N.W. (b)xxviii. N.E. (c)xxviii. S.E.)
c(1). Chapel of St. Peter, ruins, in an isolated position about 1¾ miles N.W. of Aylesbury. The remaining walls are of squared stone set in courses. The chapel consisted of Chancel, Nave, North and South Aisles, and was built probably c. 1280. Windows were inserted in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (about 14 ft. wide) has disappeared, except a fragment of the E. wall, part of the N. wall, and the N.E. diagonal buttress. In the E. wall are the remains of the moulded N. jamb of a 15th-century window, above which is a plain stone corbel. The Nave (about 39 ft. by 17½ ft.) had originally N. and S. arcades of three bays; the remains consist of the westernmost bay of the N. arcade and the two western bays of the S. arcade; they are of c. 1280, and have octagonal columns and semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals; the bases are missing; the arches are two-centred, of two chamfered orders, and have moulded labels on the nave side, with shield-stops over the columns; only the E. halves of the westernmost arches have labels. In the W. wall are the jambs and rear arch of a 15th-century window, probably originally of four lights. The North Aisle (8 ft. wide) has only a fragment of the E. wall, but the N. and W. walls are almost intact, and in the N. wall are the remains of two square-headed 14th-century windows, each of two lights, but the tracery and mullions are missing; a little of the cusping is left in the eastern window. The South Aisle retains only the two diagonal buttresses, apparently of the 15th century.
Condition—Ruinous, and enclosed by iron railings, otherwise not protected; interior full of nettles and weeds; columns badly scratched with initials, etc.
c(2). Moated Site with Ramparts, adjoining the ruins of the Chapel of St. Peter, stands about 240 ft. above O.D. and originally covered about 8 acres. The defences consist of a moat, now dry, and a broad outer bank, beyond which, on the S. side, are traces of an outer ditch with a second bank beyond it. The main bank is 8 ft. high and 29 ft. wide at the summit, and the inner ditch is 4 ft. deep and 46 ft. wide.
Condition—Imperfect; the N.W. part of the work is almost obliterated.
a(3). Homestead Moat, ½ mile E. of Fincher's Farm, 1½ miles N.W. of St. Peter's Chapel: two arms remain, with retaining bank.
c(4). Church Farm, house and moat, 200 yards S.E. of the Chapel of St. Peter. The House is two-storeyed, built early in the 17th century, of brick and timber; the roofs are tiled. The plan is L-shaped, with a modern addition on the N.W. In the S. wall is a blocked window with an original moulded frame of wood. The chimney stack is of old thin bricks, and under it is a large open fireplace. The ceilings have chamfered beams. An outhouse at the back is also of 17th-century brick and timber, and some worked stones from the church are built into one of the walls enclosing the farm.
The Moat encloses the house on three sides.
b(5). Upping's Farm, about 1½ miles N. of the Chapel of St. Peter, is a two-storeyed house of rectangular plan, built c. 1690, and now restored and enlarged. The S. front is of red and blue bricks, with two plain string-courses; the W. end is of red brick, and the E. end is covered with rough-cast. The roofs are tiled. Some of the rooms have chamfered ceiling-beams; the steps of the staircase are old, but the balustrade is apparently entirely modern.
c(6). Field Works, S.E. of Church Farm, stand about 270 ft. above O.D. and occupy a slight rise in the ground. They were constructed in the 17th century, during the Civil War, and consist of three lines of entrenchment, with embrasures for guns, and of four mounds. The strongest line is 5 ft. high and 43 ft. wide.