An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 1, South. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
17. CHALFONT ST. PETER.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xlviii. N.E. (b)xlviii. S.W. (c)xlviii. S.E.)
a(1). Parish Church of St. Peter, stands in the middle of the village. It was re-built in the 18th and 19th centuries, but contains, from the old church, the following:—
Fittings—Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Rose Edgeworth, 1529, mother of Roger and John Edgeworth, vicars of the parish, inscription only; (2) to Robert Drury, 1592, inscription only; (3) of William Whappelode, steward to Henry [Beaufort] Cardinal of England and Bishop of Winchester, 1446, and Margery, his wife, figures of man in plate armour, and woman in horned head-dress and veil, with inscription; (4) of priest in Mass vestments, late 15th or early 16th-century, figure slightly altered at later date, probably to suit inscription below it, to Robert Hanson, vicar of the parish and of Little Missenden, 1545; (5) to George Brudenell, 1522, inscription only; (6) of William Whappelode, senior, 1398, and Elizabeth, his wife, figures evidently of same date (1446) and workmanship as brass (3); (7) to William Wheytte (date of death not given) and Alice, his wife, 1525. Indents: In S. chapel—in slab under communion table, of two shields. Chests: in the vestry, two, one panelled, the other small, with three locks, probably 17th-century. Communion Table: in S. chapel, small, of oak, 17th-century. Floor-slabs: in S. chapel—(1) to Henry Gould, 1671; (2) to Deborah, wife of Henry Gould, 1695, and Thomas, their youngest son, 1699; (3) to Henry and Samuel Aldridge, infant sons of Henry Gould, 1677 and 1679; (4) to Thomas Whitchurch, 1691, and Richard, his son, 1709; partly hidden by organ platform, (5) slab dated 161—. Plate: includes two flagons and patens, 1693, two patens or salvers, 1661, bowl and a flagon with spout, probably 17th-century, all of pewter.
c(2). Homestead Moat, N.W. of Chalfont Lodge, a very small example.
The London Road, W. side
a(3). The Greyhound Inn, about 60 yards N.E. of the church, is a 17th-century building of two storeys, much restored in the 19th century. The S. front is of late 17th-century brick, with a brick string-course between the storeys, and a wood cornice; the other walls are of brick except at the back, where they are partly timber-framed with brick filling. The roofs are tiled. Two original chimney stacks are of thin bricks. One room has a wide fireplace, and two old ceiling-beams remain, one with a curved bracket.
a(4). Cottage, about 60 yards S. of the church, was built probably in the 16th century, but the lower storey is of modern brick; the projecting upper storey retains old timber-framing with brick filling; the roof is tiled. In front is a gable with an ornamental barge board, of which the N. half is probably original.
a(5). Cottage, now a shop, at the corner of Goldhill Lane, is of two storeys and an attic, built probably in the 17th century, of timber with brick filling, re-fronted with modern brick. The roof is tiled. At the back is an original chimney stack of thin bricks.
Condition—Not very good.
a(6). The George Inn, opposite the church, is a two-storeyed building, probably of the 17th century. The walls are plastered; the roof is covered with slate. Two plain chimney stacks are built of 17th-century bricks.
a(7). Cottage, about 75 yards S. of the church, built probably in the 17th century, is of two storeys. The walls are plastered, except the gabled N. end, which is timber-framed with brick filling; the gable in front also shews old timbers. The roof is covered with slates. An original chimney stack is built of brick.
Condition—Not very good.
a(8). The Bakers' Arms Inn, is of two storeys, built probably in the 17th century, but re-fronted in the 19th century; the gabled ends are timber-framed and covered with plaster. The roof is tiled.
a(9). House, opposite the White Hart Inn, is a two-storeyed building, probably of early 17th-century date. The lower storey is of brick; the upper storey is timber-framed, with brick filling. The roofs are tiled. In front the upper storey projects above a large gateway leading to a yard, and is supported on a heavy beam. Inside the house on the ground floor is a 17th-century panelled door and a small leaded window in an inner wall; on the second floor part of a partition is of 17th-century panelling.
a(10). Ashwells Farm, about 1½ miles N. of the church, is a 17th-century house of two storeys, timber-framed, with brick filling, except the E. wall, which is partly faced with modern brick. The roofs are tiled. The plan is L-shaped. At the S. end is a large stepped chimney stack with two square shafts, built of thin bricks, and at the W. end is a smaller stack also with square shafts. Two of the windows, with diamond-shaped quarries, are original. The parlour has early 17th-century panelling, now painted, and a fireplace, of slightly later date, which has pilasters and lintel, with Ionic capitals and carved rosettes; in the ceiling is a chamfered beam. Two other rooms have wide fireplaces.
Condition—Fairly good; the timber-framing is somewhat decayed.
b(11). Mumford's Farm, near the S. end of Mumford's Lane, about 1½ miles S.W. of the church, is a house of two storeys, except the E. wing, which is partly of one storey. The walls are chiefly of brick; the roofs are tiled. The N.E. part of the main block, which is approximately square, was built probably early in the 16th century; c. 1650 the rest of the block was added, and c. 1690 two wings were built on the N. side; the W. wing now forms a separate dwelling, and there is a modern addition on the E. side of the E. wing. The main block is of mid 17th-century brick on the W. side, which contains the principal entrance, and has a projecting string-course between the storeys; the S. front and the S. end of the E. side are of similar brick; the rest of the E. side is of 16th-century brick, except at the N. end, where there is a small overhanging chamber, which is timber-framed, with modern brick filling, and is supported on a shaped bracket; at the back the lower storey of the main block is of modern brick; the upper part, with two gables, is of 16th-century brick and timber; on the first floor two windows are of the 17th century, and a third window, probably of late 17th-century date, has moulded frame, mullions and transom, a double casement opening and large ornamental fastenings; in the apex of one of the gables are two small oval windows which light a room in the roof. A large projecting chimney stack on the E. side of the main block is of 16th-century brick, and has attached square shafts. Both the wings are built of late 17th-century brick with blue headers.
Interior—One of the rooms on the ground floor has a plain beam in the ceiling and a wood moulding of c. 1690 round the fireplace, which is partly filled in; the kitchen has a wide fireplace, and in the ceiling is a chamfered beam. On the first floor are two doorways with moulded wood frames of early 16th-century date, the jambs having moulded stops; one room has panelling of c. 1690, with a moulding round the fireplace; another room has a similar moulding, a panelled overmentel and small cupboard. In the projecting chamber are the remains of steps which led to the room in the roof, now disused.