An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. xii. N.E.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Edward the Confessor, at the S. end of the village, was re-built in 1828, and restored in 1862; the only remaining details of the former church are the pillars and responds of the North Arcade, which are probably of the 15th century, and two fittings.
The 16th-century brass is of peculiar interest, as it is the only example in the county with an inscription to a 'vowess.'
Architectural Description—The North Arcade is of three bays, with modern arches; the pillars are octagonal, the responds semi-octagonal, all with moulded capitals and bases, and probably of the 15th century, but re-cut.
Fittings—Brass: In N. aisle—on E. wall, on modern slab, of Dame Susan Kyngeston, 'vowes', daughter of Richard Fetyplace, of 'Est Shyfford', Berkshire, and widow of John Kyngeston of 'Chelrey', Berkshire, 1540, figure in mantle, long veil and wimple, with ring on right hand, inscription in black-letter. Plate: includes cup of 1571.
(2). The Manor House, S.E. of the church, is of two storeys and an attic; the walls are of stone, covered with plaster; the roofs are tiled. The greater part of the building, which faces W., is of 18th-century and later date, but the wing at the back, facing S., is probably of the 17th century; it is of rectangular plan with a central chimney stack and a stack at each end.
Interior:—Some of the rooms have chamfered ceiling-beams; the staircase from the first floor to the attic is of mid 17th-century date and has square balusters moulded to follow the rake of the stairs; the steps are of oak and the risers are panelled. In a turret rising above the roof is a bell inscribed, 'G. Purefoy of Wadley, Armiger me placet, 1656'.
These houses are each of two storeys and an attic, with walls of stone rubble: (3) and (4) were built early in the 17th century, each on a rectangular plan; the roofs are tiled.
Main road, E. side
(3). Home Farm, 300 yards N.N.E. of the church. The house was lengthened at each end in the 18th century and at the S.W. corner is a modern addition. The central chimney stack is square with a small pilaster on each face. Interior: —There are stop-chamfered beams in the ceilings.
A barn N.W. of the house is probably also of early 17th-century date, and is built of stone; the roof is covered with slate. One door has original strap-hinges with ornamental ends.
(4). Farmhouse, now two tenements, nearly ¼ mile N. of the church, facing S. In front the windows have rough oak lintels. The central chimney stack has three square shafts set diagonally.
(5). Farmhouse, now two tenements, known as Ground Farm Cottages, nearly ½ mile N.W. of the church. It was built probably in the 17th century. The plan is L-shaped, the wings projecting towards the N.E. and S.W., with a low modern addition in the angle between them. In front the S.W. wing has windows with old oak lintels, and at each end it has an original chimney of brick. The N.E. wing has one window with an old oak frame. The roofs are thatched. Inside the house is a wide fireplace with the original corner seats.