An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
(O.S. 6 in. ix. S.E.)
(1). Holy Trinity Church, Old Wolverton, 1 mile E.N.E. of Stony Stratford, was re-built in 1815, except the two lower stages of the West Tower which are probably of the 14th century. The tower was originally central and the N. and S. arches indicate that the plan of the church was cruciform. The walls have been completely encased.
Architectural Description—The West Tower is of three stages with a stair-turret in the S.W. angle; the third stage is modern. The walls of the second stage, inside, have marks suggesting that they were originally gabled at that height. The N. and S. arches are of the 14th century, two-centred, and of three chamfered orders with plain chamfered jambs. In the stair-turret is a doorway, now blocked, with rebated jambs and pointed head; it opened probably on to the roof of the original S. transept.
Fittings—Brasses and Indents: see Floor-slabs. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monument: In chancel—on N. side, of Sir Thomas Longueville, of Wolverton, 2nd baronet, 1685, large, of white marble classic detail, with recumbent figure of man on base, urn at the top, inscription at back and arms of Longueville impaling Fenwick and Peyton for his two wives. Floor-slabs: now outside S. doorway of chancel—two, in fragments, with indents of circles and small shields, original edges moulded, possibly 15th or 16th-century. Miscellanea: In tower—in E. jamb of W. arch, incised cross in a double lozenge, partly cut away by chamfered edge of jamb and now set upside down, possibly consecration cross: in stair-turret—built into the wall, near the top, carved grotesque face, possibly 12th-century: small stool, with turned legs and ornamental rails, 17th-century.
(2). Mount and Bailey, N.E. of Old Wolverton Church. The mount is about 100 ft. in diameter at the base; the bailey is indicated by a scarp on the E.
Condition—Thickly planted, but well preserved.
(3). Doorways, two, and worked Stones, at the vicarage, about 50 yards S.E. of Old Wolverton Church. The Doorways were removed from a house which formerly stood E. of the church. The principal doorway, in front of the house, is of early 17th-century date, and has plain jambs and semi-circular head, with a moulded string-course at the springing, and on each side a fluted Corinthian column, supporting a moulded cornice and broken pediment; the soffit of the cornice has carved strapwork ornament; built into the pediment is part of a smaller tympanum, containing the arms of Longueville; also in the pediment, and built into the wall on each side, are parts of two friezes, one being fluted and both carved with circular flower ornament. The second doorway, inside the house, is small, and of late 16th or early 17th-century date, with moulded jambs and depressed head, the spandrels carved with grotesque animals and foliage; above the doorway is a moulded cornice and pediment; the tympanum is panelled and contains a carved crest, the head of a greyhound; also inside the house is part of a 12th-century label with double dog-tooth ornament, brought from the original church.
In the garden are several worked stones, one being part of a small capital, probably of the 12th century, and brought from the original church; the others are from moulded arches, etc., probably of the 17th century and brought from the same house as the doorways.
(4). House, at Warren Farm, 3/8 mile S.W. of Old Wolverton Church, is a small 17th-century building of two storeys, with a basement and attic; the walls are of stone; the roof is tiled. At one end is a rectangular chimney stack of 17th-century brick. Interior:—In the basement is a wide fireplace.