An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
139. GREAT LINFORD.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)x. N.W. (b)x. S.W.)
a(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew, stands at the N.W. end of the village. The walls are covered with cement, except those of the chancel, which are of small squared stone rubble in courses, and those of the S. aisle and porch, which are of stone rubble. The roofs are covered with lead, except those of the chancel and S. porch, which are tiled. The lower stage of the West Tower is of late 13th-century date; the rest of the church, except the N. aisle, was re-built c. 1320, the South Aisle being on the earlier foundations; the Nave was widened towards the N. and probably lengthened towards the E., and the North Porch, now the vestry, was added, also c. 1320; the short North Aisle was added, E. of the N. porch, and of the same width, c. 1340. In 1706 the Chancel was re-built and the chancel arch widened, the whole building was considerably restored, and the clearstorey was added, or had new windows inserted in it; the South Porch and the upper stage of the tower were also re-built or added. The church was again restored in 1884–5, and the tower arch filled in to strengthen it, on account of a settlement of the foundations.
The N. arcade and the vaulted N. porch, both of the 14th century, and the windows of the N. aisle, also of the 14th century, but altered in the 18th century, are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (30 ft. by 17 ft.) is entirely of early 18th-century date, except the modern E. window, and a blocked doorway in the S. wall, which is apparently of old material, re-used, and has chamfered jambs and segmental head; the moulded external label with mask-stops is of the 13th century. The chancel arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders, widened in 1706; the 14th-century responds have been restored and have clustered shafts with moulded capitals and modern bases. The Nave (47 ft. by 21 ft.) has a N. arcade of c. 1340, and of two bays; the responds have stop-chamfered edges, and moulded semi-octagonal corbels supporting the inner order of the arches; the E. corbel is embattled and has ball-flower ornament, and both corbels have been restored; the column is octagonal, and has a moulded capital with a conventional leaf carved at each angle; the base is moulded; the two-centred arches are of two chamfered orders: the N. doorway, W. of the arcade, has chamfered jambs, possibly of the 14th century; the head is semi-circular, originally chamfered, but has been badly damaged. The S. arcade is of c. 1320, and of three bays with chamfered responds which have moulded semi-octagonal head-corbels supporting the inner order of the arches; the columns are octagonal, with moulded capitals and bases, the capital of the W. column is almost entirely restored, and the base is damaged; the two-centred arches are of two chamfered orders. The clearstorey has four windows on each side, all of c. 1706. The North Aisle (27½ ft. by 11½ ft.) has, in the N. wall, two windows of c. 1340, originally each of four lights and tracery in a two-centred head, now of three lights, with mullions and transom inserted in the 18th century; the only remains of the tracery are the curved pieces in the apices; the outer chamfer of the jambs and head is enriched with four-leaf ornament, partly restored in the eastern window; the moulded external labels have carved head-stops, considerably defaced: internally the wall is divided into two bays by 14th-century arcading with attached shafts, which have moulded bases and moulded capitals enriched with carved squares of four-leaf ornament; the two-centred arches are chamfered, but covered with plaster, and the bases and shafts have been restored. The South Aisle (6 ft. wide) has, in the S. wall, two 18th-century windows, but some of the stones in the external labels are possibly of the 14th century: W. of the windows is the S. doorway, with chamfered jambs and semi-circular head, entirely covered with plaster. The West Tower (13 ft. by 12½ ft.) is not central with the nave, and is of two stages; the lower stage is of two storeys, with large diagonal W. buttresses which are carried to the top of the stage; the embattled parapet is covered with cement. The late 13th-century tower arch is now filled in; it is two-centred, of two chamfered orders, and distorted by the settlement of the foundations; each jamb has three attached shafts with moulded capitals and traces of moulded bases; in the blocking is a modern doorway. The N. and S. walls have each a lancet window of late 13th-century date, covered externally with cement. The W. doorway and window are of the 18th century. The second storey has in the S. wall two windows with semi-circular heads, externally covered with cement. The upper stage has, in each wall, a single light, probably of the 18th century, and the N. and S. walls have each an additional rectangular light, externally covered with cement. The North Porch is of two storeys, and of c. 1320. The lower storey has a two-centred entrance archway, slightly ogee, and richly moulded, with shafted jambs and moulded capitals; the innermost capitals have been cut away and the bases are hidden or destroyed; in the W. wall is a single-light window, probably originally of two lights and tracery; the elaborately moulded jambs and two-centred head have been partly restored, but the old work has been badly damaged, and the external label destroyed; in the E. wall is a recess, probably formerly a window similar to that in the W. wall. The sexpartite vaulted ceiling has chamfered ribs springing from carved heads, and in the middle is a carved boss. The upper storey has, in the N. wall, a single trefoiled light with a plain external label; in the W. wall is a similar light, and an internal recess in the E. wall was formerly another window. The South Porch has an outer entrance with chamfered jambs and two-centred head; the plain label has 14th-century head-stops, but the rest of the stonework is probably of later date; over the apex is a late 15th-century corbel representing a winged half-figure holding a plain shield. In the E. wall are set the heads of two traceried openings, one inside and one outside, each of two trefoiled lights, flat at the back; the external opening has a plain label; the internal opening is covered with plaster. The Roofs of the chancel and nave have plastered ceilings; the S. aisle has a plain lean-to roof of old timbers.
Fittings—Brasses and Indents: In chancel— on N. side, (1) of Anne, wife of John Uvedall, 1611, two figures, man in long cloak and ruff, woman in fardingale, figures of five sons and three daughters, inscription. In nave—(2) of Roger Hunt, 1473, and Joan his wife, two figures, man in loose-sleeved gown, with belt and pointed shoes, woman in high-waisted gown, marginal inscription in Latin, and verse in English, two shields inscribed with invocations, indents of sons and daughters. In N. aisle—(3) of Thomas Malyn, 1536, and Elizabeth his wife, two figures, man in furtrimmed cloak and square-toed shoes, woman in pedimental head-dress, fur-trimmed gown, small figure of one daughter, inscription; indent of one son. Communion Table: In chancel—with turned legs, plain rails, 17th-century, heightened for present use. Communion Rails: with small turned balusters, top rail moulded, possibly late 17th-century. Door: In N. porch—in outer entrance, of two thicknesses of battens, with strap-hinges, date uncertain. Glass: In N. aisle—in apex of N.E. window, fragments, discoloured, various patterns and two fleurs de lis, 14th or 15th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monument: In N. aisle—on W. wall, to Sir William Prichard, knight, 1704, Sarah, his wife, 1718, their son William, 1685, white marble, with cornice, cherubs' heads, etc. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Edward Harrison, 1676. In N. aisle—at W. end, (2) to . . . . Prichard, probably 17th-century, broken. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1610.
Condition—Good; badly disfigured by removal of tracery, etc., in the 18th century, also by cement on walls; cement on W. wall of nave, cracked; lower stage of tower, some internal cracks, apparently not serious.
a(2). Almshouses and Schoolhouse (see Plate, p. 61), E. of the church, form a long range of buildings of one storey, with a larger rectangular block of two storeys and an attic in the middle of the range. They were built for six occupants and a school, c. 1700; the central block is now the schoolmaster's house, and has additions of later date at the back. The walls are of stone; the roofs are tiled. The N. and S. Elevations of the one-storeyed range are of similar design, each tenement having a single doorway and window on each side; the central block has a doorway on the ground floor, two windows on each floor, and on the N. front two dormer windows lighting the attic. At each end of the range and of the central block there is a curvilinear gable.
Interior:—The central block contains an original staircase with carved oak balusters and rails, some panelling of the same date, and a wide fireplace now partly blocked. On the first floor is a door of old oak battens.
a(3). The Rectory, with barn, stable and dove-cot, 180 yards S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys and an attic; the walls are of stone; the roof is tiled. It was built probably late in the 16th century, but in the S. wing are some traces of a late 15th or early 16th-century building. The plan is E-shaped, the wings extending towards the E., with a small projection towards the W. at the N. end, and a modern drawing-room built on to it. The hall, with a staircase, is in the N. half of the main block, and the kitchen in the S. half; the dining-room, pantry, etc., are in the N. wing, the other domestic offices in the S. wing. E. Elevation:—In the middle is a small modern porch, and on the ground floor, N. of the porch, is a late 16th-century window of four lights with moulded jambs, mullions and lintel of oak; above it, on the first floor, is a similar window, and the attic is lighted by two hipped dormer windows, each of two lights, and apparently of the 17th century. At the end of the S.E. wing, on the ground floor, is an old window of two lights with frame and mullion of oak, partly masked by an open framework supporting the modern bay window above it. N. Elevation: —Near the E. end is a projecting chimney stack of stone with some courses of thin bricks at the top, and a shaft of modern brick. S. Elevation:—The end of the main block is gabled, and the side of the S.E. wing has an original chimney stack of stone, restored with modern brick at the top. W. Elevation:—The wall of the main block is of brick, whitewashed, and covered with creepers; the chimney stack at the back of the hall is of stone with some late 17th-century brick, and a head of modern brick. The end of the S.E. wing is of stone with some plaster.
Interior:—The staircase in the main block is probably of late 17th-century date, with square newels and turned balusters. The kitchen has chamfered ceiling-beams, and in the S.E. wing is a moulded door-frame with moulded base-stops, of early 16th-century date; in another doorway is a rough oak door which has strap-hinges with fleur de lis ends, of late 15th or early 16th-century date; above it, in the ceiling, is a moulded joist, probably of the 16th century; another door, of moulded battens, is of late 16th-century date. In the N. wing the dining room has encased ceiling-beams. A stone, probably of the 16th century, was found in the garden and is now preserved in the house; it is rectangular, carved on each side, and at one end is a small deep basin with a drain and a stone cover which is carved with a four-leafed flower.
The Barn, S.E. of the house, is also probably of late 16th-century date, and is of five bays, built of stone; the roof is covered with slate; adjoining the barn at the W. end is a Stable of the same date, also built of stone; the roof is tiled. The Dove-cot, S. of the house, was built in the middle of the 17th century, and is square; the walls are of stone; the pyramidal roof is tiled, and has a lantern in the middle. In the S. wall is a window, and the walls are lined inside with stone recesses.
Condition—Good, but the E. and W. walls of the house are overloaded with creepers.
These buildings are almost all of two storeys, all are of the 17th century, and partly restored. The walls are of stone, the roofs are thatched. All the cottages have original chimney stacks of brick.
High Street, W. side
a(4). The Nag's Head Inn and two adjoining tenements, 260 yards S.E. of the church, are of two storeys and an attic. A few old casement windows remain. Interior:—On the ground floor are some original ceiling-beams and a wide open fireplace, now used as a recess.
a(5). Cottages, four tenements in one range, 450 yards S.E. of the church, are of one storey and an attic. The chimney stacks are original. Interior:—On the ground floor are some open timber ceilings and other original beams.
a(6). Cottages, seven tenements in one range, opposite to (5). They are of one storey and an attic. Some old casement windows remain, and there are gabled dormers on the W. front. Interior:—There are some wide open fireplaces, and original stop-chamfered ceiling-beams.
a(7). Cottage, opposite to (4). A modern building has been added at the E. end.
b(8). Cottages, a long rectangular block of tenements, ½ mile S.S.E. of the church. Interior: —Some of the tenements have open fireplaces, partly blocked, and open timber ceilings.