Little Linford

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1913.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

, 'Little Linford', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North, (London, 1913) pp. 178-179. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/bucks/vol2/pp178-179 [accessed 22 May 2024].

. "Little Linford", in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North, (London, 1913) 178-179. British History Online, accessed May 22, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/bucks/vol2/pp178-179.

. "Little Linford", An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire, Volume 2, North, (London, 1913). 178-179. British History Online. Web. 22 May 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/bucks/vol2/pp178-179.

In this section

159. LITTLE LINFORD.

(O.S. 6 in. x. N.W.)

Ecclesiastical

(1). Church of St. Leonard and St. Andrew, stands about 75 yards N.E. of Linford Hall. The walls are of stone rubble with limestone dressings; the roofs are tiled. The Chancel, Nave and Bell-cot were built early in the 13th century; a N. aisle was built at the same time, but was subsequently destroyed and the arcade blocked. The South Aisle was added early in the 14th century, but was re-built in the 18th or 19th century, the old material being re-used. Late in the 19th century the chancel was almost entirely re-built, the N. arcade was re-opened, and the present North Aisle and North Porch were added.

The 13th-century gabled bell-cot is worthy of note (see Plate opposite).

Architectural Description—The Chancel (19 ft. by 14 ft.) is modern, except part of the E. wall; the E. window is of the 13th century, re-set, and of two lancet lights under a two-centred head with a pierced spandrel and an external label. In the S. wall are two small lancet windows, also of the 13th century, re-used. The chancel arch is modern, but has a few old stones in the imposts. The Nave (35 ft. by 12½ ft.) has an early 13th-century N. arcade of two bays, with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, the inner order dying into a moulded stop on each respond; the circular column has a flat moulded base and a moulded octagonal capital; the E. respond projects about 5 ft. into the nave, and has plain chamfered edges with broach-stops; it is pierced by an opening which has a pointed head, and, in the aisle, is widely splayed; the W. respond is similar to the other, but is unpierced and projects about 9 ft. into the nave. The early 14th-century S. arcade is of three bays, with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders and a plain label; the inner order dies into moulded stops on the responds, which have plain chamfered edges; the columns are octagonal, with slightly varying moulded capitals; the base of the E. column is plain, that of the W. column is moulded. In the W. wall is a 15th-century window of three cusped lights under a four-centred head. The North Aisle has been re-built, but re-set in the E. wall is an early 14th-century window of two lights and tracery in a two-centred head, and re-set in the N. wall is a doorway with a two-centred head, probably of the 15th century. The South Aisle has been re-built with the old material. In the E. wall is an early 14th-century window of two lights and tracery under a two-centred head. In the S. wall is a 16th-century window of three uncusped lights under a square head; further W. is a plain square-headed opening, and set in it is the early 13th-century doorway of the nave with a two-centred head enriched externally with double nail-head ornament; apparently some stones of the head are missing. The Bell-cot over the W. end of the nave is of the 13th century, and is gabled; the two openings for the bells have each a two-centred arch; the jambs and central mullion have attached shafts. The North Porch is modern, with the head of a small pointed opening re-set in the W. wall. The Roof of the nave is probably of the 15th century, with cambered tie-beams and wall-brackets supported on wooden corbels. The roof of the S. aisle is old.

Fittings—Bells: two; 1st inscribed 'Ave Maria gracia plena', early 14th-century; 2nd inscribed 'Johannes Vylleby Me Fieri Fecit', probably by Kebyll, late 15th-century. Communion Tables and Rails: In chancel—table with late 15th-century tracery, re-used; rails, possibly 17th-century. In N. aisle—table with turned legs and plain rail, 17th-century. Font: circular bowl, covered with cement, possibly old. Panelling: In nave—near pulpit, with guilloche pattern, early 17th-century. Piscina: In S. aisle—W. of S. doorway, re-set, with cinque-foiled head and quatrefoil basin, probably 15th-century. Plate: includes cup, silver, of 1695, standing paten, plated, probably old. Stoup: In N. aisle—E. of N. doorway, re-set, with trefoiled head and broken basin, probably 15th-century. Miscellanea: Nave—at N.E. corner, on external face of wall, several crosses, including one with triple arms. In N. aisle—on W. respond, six incised crosses.

Condition—Good, but the S. aisle is covered with ivy, and the bell-cot is much weather-worn.

Secular

(2). Linford Hall, house and fish-ponds. The House, about 75 yards S.W. of the church, is of three storeys; the walls are of stone rubble, the roofs are tiled. Part of the present building is of late 17th-century date, and contains three rooms and a staircase on the ground floor; the plan proposed in the 17th-century apparently consisted of a central block and flanking wings, with further extensions on each side, but only the central block and N.W. wing were built at that time; internal decorations were carried out in the 18th century, and the rest of the house was built in the 19th century, on the 17th-century plan, with some alterations. Only two old windows remain, one in the basement and one on the first floor, with sashes, thick glazing bars and small panes.

Interior:—In the hall is a large marble fireplace, of late 17th-century date (see Plate, p. 24), with an overmantel which has an elaborate trophy of weapons in the middle, and Corinthian pilasters supporting an entablature. In the dining room are doorways with entablatures and over-doors carved in deal, possibly also of late 17th-century date. In the drawing room are some late 17th-century bed-curtains embroidered with elaborate designs of flowers, foliage, hunting scene, etc.; also six chairs with embroidered seats and backs.

The Fish-ponds are in the grounds, about 125 yards S. of the house.

Condition—Of house, good, almost entirely modern; of fish-ponds, good.

(3). Cottages, a range of seven, about 350 yards N.W. of the church, of two storeys, built of stone probably late in the 17th century. The roof is thatched. Some of the windows have old casements, and some of the chimney stacks are of thin bricks. Interior:—On the ground floor are open timber ceilings.

Condition—Fairly good.