Page 11

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1, West. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1952.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.


In this section


(O.S. 6 in. XXXVIII, N.W.)

Allington is a small parish adjoining that of Bridport on the N.W. The church, a building of 1827, is now in the borough of Bridport.


(1) Middle Pymore Farm, house in the N.E. part of the parish, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably early in the 18th century and has an original fireplace and some exposed ceiling-beams.

(2) New Close Farm, house 600 yards S.W. of (1), is of two storeys with attic; the walls are of roughly squared and coursed stone patched with brick and the roofs are thatched. It was built in the 17th century.

(3) Bilshay Cottage is 400 yards N.W. of (2) and built of similar materials. It is of 17th-century date. There is a small gabled W. porch.