An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1, West. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1952.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
26 CHEDINGTON (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XX, S.E.)
Chedington is a small parish 3 m. N. of Beaminster.
(1) Parish Church of St. James was entirely rebuilt in 1841.
Fittings—Bell: one, inaccessible but said to be of 1610. Monuments: In nave—on N. wall, (1) to William Hody, 173(5 ?)7, and William his son, 1780, wall-monument of white marble with apron, cornice and cartouche-of-arms. In the old churchyard—(2) to Samuel Hallet, 1684, table-tomb; (3) to Thomas Hallet, 1617, table-tomb; (4) to Robert Notley, 1698–9, and Dorothy his wife, 1707, table-tomb. Miscellanea: In S. porch—mutilated cap, possibly of an angle-shaft, built into W. wall, 12th-century.
(2) Manor Farm, house 90 yards N.E. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of stone and the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 16th century, but was much altered and enlarged in the 17th century when the W. front was remodelled and the porch added. This front has 17th-century stone-mullioned windows of three, four and five lights, the lower ones with moulded labels; the doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred head; the doorway of the porch is similar and has a moulded label and above is a panel with the name and date Thomas Warren, 1674. There are doorways with four-centred heads in the side walls of the porch. Some original windows remain at the back. Inside the building, the middle room has original moulded ceiling-beams and there is a panelled partition in the S. wing.
(3) Cottage, 150 yards S.W. of the church, is modern, but incorporates an early 16th-century moulded bressummer.
(4) Cottage, 30 yards S.W. of (3), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roof is slate-covered. It was built probably early in the 18th century.
(5) Cottage, 30 yards S.W. of (4), is modern, but incorporates a 17th-century doorway with an oak frame and four-centred head.
(6) Cottage, two tenements, S.W. of (5), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched. It was built probably early in the 18th century.
(7) Lower Farm, house 250 yards S.W. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched. It was built in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan and the W. wing was extended probably early in the 18th century. Several original stonemullioned windows remain and one of these, on the S.E. front, is set in a projection. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams, two panelled partitions and a doorway with an oak frame and four-centred head.