An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1, West. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1952.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
94 TRENT (D.a.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)V, N.E. (b)V, S.E.)
Trent is a parish and village on the N. border of the county 3 m. N.W. of Sherborne. The church, Manor House, Turner's Almshouses, Church Farm and the Chantry are the principal monuments.
b(1) Parish Church Of St. Andrew (Plate 203) stands at the W. end of the village. The walls are of local rubble with ashlar and dressings of Ham Hill stone; the roofs are covered with stone slates and modern slates. The North Chapel is of 13th-century origin and the Nave is presumably of the same or earlier date, though there is no definite evidence of this. The South Tower and Porch were added early in the 14th century. The Chancel was rebuilt in the 15th century and the nave was lengthened at some uncertain period; this is said to have been done, probably incorrectly, in 1840 when the church was restored and there are two panels on the S. wall of 1694 and 1729, no doubt the dates of repairs. The church was again restored in 1925 when the spire was largely rebuilt; the Organ Chamber and the West Vestry are modern additions and the N. wall of the N. chapel has been rebuilt.
The church is of some architectural interest and among the fittings the screen, pews and monuments are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25¼ ft. by 15¼ ft.) is of the 15th century, ashlar-faced with a moulded plinth; above the buttresses are carved figures of a muzzled bear and men playing musical instruments. The E. window is of four cinque-foiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded reveals and label with returned stops. In both the N. and S. walls are two windows, similar to the E. window but of three lights; the S. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred head with a label. The chancel-arch has moulded responds and two-centred arch; the responds have been partly restored.
The Nave (59¼ ft. by 19¾ ft.) has, in the E. wall, the 15th-century lower doorway to the rood-loft staircase; it has moulded jambs and four-centred head; the upper doorway is square-headed; the staircase was continued beyond this point but is not now accessible. In the N. wall is a 13th or early 14th-century archway, two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner dying on to the responds; E. of the arch is a rectangular opening to a cavity in the wall; to the W. is a modern archway; further W. again are two much restored three-light windows of 15th-century character. In the S. wall are two modern windows similar to those in the N. wall; immediately E. of the eastern window are the E. splay and part of the sill of a mediæval window and between the two windows is a straight joint indicating the former extent of the nave; the early 14th-century S. doorway is two-centred and of one continuous chamfered order. The 15th-century W. window is of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label and returned stops; the W. doorway is modern.
The North Chapel (18¼ ft. by 12¼ ft.) has a restored early 14th-century E. window of three trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label and head-stops. The N. wall and windows are modern. In the W. wall is a blocked lancet-window, probably of the 13th century; further N. is a modern doorway. Reset in the W. wall of the Organ Chamber is a 15th-century window of one cinque-foiled light.
The South Tower (about 12 ft. square) is of early 14th-century date and of three storeys finished with a trefoiled corbel-table with head-corbels, a parapet of pierced quatrefoils and pinnacles at the angles. The tower-arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner dying on to the responds. In the E. wall of the ground-stage is a window of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a label and head-stops; the rear-arch is moulded; further N. are the remains of a blocked squint with a pointed head; on the N.E. buttress is a large male figure with a pot serving as a gargoyle. In the S. wall is a window of three lights, one cinque-foiled and two trefoiled, with tracery in a two-centred head with labels, head-stops and a moulded rear-arch. In the W. wall is a doorway with chamfered jambs and elliptical head. The second storey has, in the E., S. and W. walls, a window of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a label and headstops; in the N. wall is a doorway to the nave-roof, with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window similar to those just described but larger. The top of the turret-staircase has a stone vault with six chamfered ribs springing from the newel and forming pointed arches. The stone spire has been largely rebuilt; it is octagonal with ribbed angles.
The South Porch is of early 14th-century date and has an outer archway, two-centred and of one continuous chamfered order with a moulded label and defaced head-stops. The porch has a high pent-roof against the W. face of the tower; the walls are finished with restored quatre-foiled parapets as are the walls of the nave.
The West Vestry is modern but reset in the W. wall is a 15th-century doorway with moulded jambs flanked by small square buttresses set diagonally; the head is modern.
The Roof of the nave, of mid 19th-century date, has angels holding shields-of-arms of the Apostles at the springing of the vaulting ribs. The roof of the porch is of early 14th-century date partly restored; it is of two bays with moulded braces forming segmental arches; at their intersection with the central purlin are bosses carved with conventional leaves; the trusses rest on moulded corbels carved with heads and leaves.
Fittings—Bells: six; 2nd late 14th-century and inscribed "Augustine tuam campanam protege sanam"; 3rd early 14th-century, London foundry, inscribed "Campana Sancti Andree de Trente"; 4th by Roger Purdue, 1603; 5th mid 15th-century, from Bristol foundry and inscribed "Sce. Maria ora pro nobis"; 6th by John Kingston at Bridgwater, 1819. Bier: of oak, with four cabriole legs and draw-handles, with initials and date T.S., R.H., 1757. Brackets: In nave— on S. wall, carved head-corbel, 14th-century. In porch —on N. wall, moulded corbel with head below, 14th-century. Brasses: In chancel—on S. wall, (1) to Thomas Putt, 1844, inscription-plate. In N. chapel— on N. wall, (2) to Henry Seymour, 1849, and Jane his wife, 1869, inscription flanked by lozenge-shaped plates engraved with shields-of-arms partly coloured. Chair: In chancel—with turned front legs, shaped arms, panelled back, enriched top-rail and scrolled cresting, 17th-century. Chest: In vestry—with enriched styles and rails, panelled front and ends, initials and date I.H., I.T., 1629 on top rail and middle panel. Churchyard Cross: S. of church—part of square shaft with leaf-ornament at angles, moulded circular base, 15th-century, upper part and steps modern. Coffin: In porch—of stone, mediæval. Doors: In S. doorway—of nail-studded battens with ribs forming vertical panels and strap-hinges, wooden lock, mediæval. In tower—in W. doorway, of two leaves and of nail-studded battens, with vertical panels and strap-hinges, 17th-century. In W. vestry—in W. doorway, of two leaves with four-centred head, moulded frame and panelled styles, each leaf with two trefoil-headed panels and a quatrefoil and a shield with a saltire and an engrailed border above, early 15th-century. Font-cover: In tower—octagonal, with base of pierced quatrefoils and pyramidal top with pierced traceried sides, crocketed angles and finial, 15th-century. Glass: In chancel—in E. window, collection of 16th and 17th-century Swiss, German and other glass placed here in the 19th century, collection includes scriptural scenes, heraldry, saints etc., and came among other places from St. Gallen, Wettingen, Lucerne and Cologne; in N. and S. windows, all of similar design and date, 1842, probably by Wailes, consisting of twelve main lights containing figures of the Apostles beneath elaborate canopies and sixteen tracery lights with angels holding shields-of-arms of friends of the Rector, with a black-letter inscription in the N.E. window recording the gift of the glass. In nave—in N. and S. windows, all of similar style and date, 1849, with scenes from the life of Christ in the main lights and emblems and shields-of-arms in the tracery; in W. window, in the head of the main lights and in the tracery, 15th and 16th-century fragments including a piece of black-letter inscription and a quartered shield-of-arms, in the rest of the main lights figure subjects, 1842, and modern emblems. Helmets etc.: In N. chapel, on N. wall, late 16th-century close-helmet (Plate 18) with roped comb and added gorget-plates, the original plates have invected edges; 17th-century sham helmet made up with a genuine early 17th-century skull-piece and gorget-plates from a pikeman's suit; remains of carved wooden crest of Wyndham; also parts of two pairs of gauntlets of c. 1600 and the early 17th century. Monuments: In Chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Tristrum Storke, 1530, and Alies (Bingham), his wife, painted stone panel with frame, cornice and five shields-of-arms (a) quartered shield of Storke impaling Bingham quartering Turberville, (b) Compton impaling Storke, (c) Seymour impaling Storke, (d) Larde (?) impaling Storke, (e) Gerard impaling Storke; on S. wall, (2) to Thomas Hussey, 1630–1, freestone wall-monument with Corinthian side-columns, curved pediment, crests and strapwork cartouche-of-arms. In N. chapel—in recesses in N. wall, (3) freestone effigy (Plate 22) of man in civil costume with gown, hood, belt with long sword, dog at feet, 14th-century; (4) freestone effigy (Plate 22) of man in armour with bascinet, aventail, hip-belt etc.; head on helm with crest of a bird, feet on dog, c. 1380; against E. respond of arch to nave, (5) to Ann (Coker), wife of Thomas Gerard, 1633, freestone monument (Plate 114) consisting of plain side-columns supporting an entablature with an achievement-of-arms of Gerard quarterly of sixteen impaling Coker quarterly of nine and supported by angels, painted decoration on respond at back with the inscription "J. Williams Yeovil pinxit et restauravit 1792"; soffit of arch above painted with a genealogical tree with shields-of-arms of Gerard and Coker and their alliances, forty shields in all, restored in 1792; on S. wall, W. of arch, (6) to William Gerard, 1604, alabaster and slate tablet (Plate 19) with central arched panel enclosing painted achievement-of-arms, side-pilasters, cornice, plinth, apron and two shields-of arms; (7) to Sir Francis Wyndham, Bart., 1676, and to A.W., 1698, stone slab. In the nave, (8) to Sir Francis Wyndham, Bart., 1715–6, wall-monument of white marble (Plate 150) with Corinthian columns, pulvinated frieze and broken pediment, an achievement-of-arms, cherub-heads and other enrichments. In tower—in N.W. angle, (9) to Elizabeth, widow of Ralph Martyn, 1693, marble panel with moulded frame. In S. porch— (10) freestone effigy of priest in mass-vestments with head on two cushions, 14th-century, broken and mutilated. In churchyard—by S. porch, (11) to Thomas Bucke, 1628–9, and M . . ., his sister, table-tomb; (12) to Gideon Pillard, 1697, Frances his wife, 1733, John, 1703, and Rose, 1724, his children, and Elenor, his daughter, wife of Samuel Noake, 1707, flat slab. Niches: In chancel—flanking E. window, ogee crocketed heads with vaulted soffits, 15th-century. Panelling: On W. respond of arch to N. chapel, 17th-century panelled dado. Plate: set dated 1737 (Plate 30) consisting of cup and cover-paten, flagon and alms-dish. Pulpit: octagonal with carved angles including figures, each face with cartouche below and figure-subject above under enriched arch as follows— (a) Annunciation, (b) Nativity, (c) Adoration of the Magi, (d) Presentation, (e) Circumcision, (f) Christ with the doctors, (g) David, probably Dutch and of c. 1600, cornice and part of stem modern. Royal Arms: In nave, over S. door—Hanoverian, painted on wood. Screens: Between chancel and nave (Plate 204)—of oak and of five bays including doorway, divided by grouped shafts supporting ribbed soffit of loft; except N. bay, each bay with close lower panels, six to a bay, with trefoiled ogee and crocketed heads, moulded and carved rail; open upper panels of six cinque-foiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head; side bays except N. bay, with carved transoms and cinque-foiled ogee and traceried heads under the transoms; door-bay generally similar but with transom at door-head and plain heads to lights in doors below it; N. bay with tracery and panels framed round head and S. jamb of doorway to rood-loft staircase; loft with moulded ribs and lierne-ribs with carved bosses and open tracery in cells, loft finished in front with deep moulded cornice with three bands of foliage-ornament and carved brattishing; E. face of screen generally similar in lower part but with later pilasters supporting a classical cornice in place of the vault and with keystones in the middle of each bay; screen, 15th-century with 17th-century alterations and some modern restoration. In front of archway to N. chapel—low screen of oak, of five bays including doorway, divided by carved brackets, arched panels below and enriched panels above; N. side with plain lower panels and enriched upper panels, mid 17th-century. Seating: In N. chapel —a pair of mahogany twin settles with hollowed seats, fluted arms, legs and framing, two large roundels in the back of each containing carved crests, a heron's head erased holding a fish in its beak within a wreath, and smaller roundels in the arms, c. 1800. In nave —numerous pews with moulded and panelled backs, two desks with poppy-heads to bench-ends, rest with square-headed panelled bench-ends (Plate 33) carved with window-tracery, figure of St. John the Evangelist, symbols of the Passion, design with grotesque face, two birds, hound and stag, initials Ihs and Ma, eagle and bird and four ends bearing the inscription "Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus Tecum Ame.", others are against the wall, early 16th-century; a number added to match are dated 1840 with the shield-of-arms of Turner. Weathercock: On spire, of copper with rounded body. On the wings are the names of the rector and churchwardens, the maker and the date, George Gaylard, 1698. Miscellanea: In porch —painted notice to remove pattens and clogs, early 19th-century. Oak boss with dragon, leaves and grapes, late 15th-century.
a(2) Churchyard Cross, near site of St. Mary's Chapel, Adber, 1¼ m. N.N.E. of the church, is now tilted to a steep angle in the side of a ditch. The shaft now about 2½ ft. long is roughly rectangular with rounded angles; on one face are the remains of a bracket and a standing figure in high relief. The shaft is probably of the 15th century.
b(3) The Manor House, 100 yards N. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are tiled. The present Dining Room with the Brew House and Inner Hall probably represent the Hall and side-wings of a late mediæval house. In the first half of the 17th century this building was altered and an upper floor was inserted in the hall. The house belonged to the Wyndham family and here King Charles II was concealed for some time after the battle of Worcester. About 1706 the long wing was added to the N.E. of the old house. The modern alterations are very extensive and include the main block of the house to the N.W., and extension of the original S.W. wing and a large porch. The S.E. front of the main block has two ranges of 17th-century mullioned and transomed windows; in the wall are two reset 15th-century corbels carved with figures. In the end wall of the modern extension of the S.W. wing is a reset 15th-century window of two transomed lights with a label and head-stops; in the N.E. side-wall of the same extension is a reset 15th-century doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred arch in a square head with blank shields in the trefoiled spandrels; in the opposite wall is a doorway with a two-centred head partly of old materials. In the re-entrant angle at the N.W. end of the same wing is a partly restored window in the angle with a 17th-century corner-post and a moulded stone label; above it, in the S.W. wall, is a window of two trefoiled lights in a square head. The N.E. wing has, in the end wall, two two-light windows with cornices and a panel with the initials and date F.W. 1706; the N.E. face of the wing has two ranges of two-light windows, the lower ones with cornices; the doorways have square heads and cornices. Inside the building the Dining Room has heavy ceiling-beams; the Brewhouse has an original fireplace with moulded jambs and lintel. The bedroom over the N. part of the Dining Room retains the original roof-trusses of the former Hall; they are of collar-beam type but the curved wind-braces are modern; the adjoining bed-room is lined with early 17th-century panelling with an enriched frieze. The room over the brewhouse has an old fireplace with a square head; adjoining it on the N.W. is a small closet entered by an original doorway with oak frame and two-centre head; part of the floor is hinged to provide access to a hiding-hole with a second floor about three feet lower; this is the reputed hiding-place of Charles II.
b(4) Turner's Almshouses, 150 yards N.E. of the church (Plate 208), are of one storey and contain four dwellings; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are tiled. They were built in 1846 and consist of two rectangular blocks facing one another N. and S. across a small courtyard; the E. and W. sides are closed by screen walls each with a central gateway with four-centred head and moulded coping above. The E. and W. ends of the blocks are gabled and have flat copings and terminal crosses; in the N.W. gable is an inscription panel only partly legible, "[Bui]l[t] [an]d Endowed in the Year of Our Lord 1846". The windows consist of two four-centred lights in a square head with a label over; the chimneys have octagonal shafts. In the middle of the yard is an octagonal well-head with panelled sides and ogee-shaped panelled top and finial.
b(5) Church Farm, house and outbuildings, W. and S.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and ashlar and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably late in the 14th or early in the 15th century and then consisted of a hall with a S. cross-wing and no doubt a cross-wing also at the N. end; only the S. cross-wing, at the screens end of the hall, remains; there was probably a two-storeyed porch on the E. side of the hall, as indicated by the doorway in the N. wall of the cross-wing. The hall was replaced by the short N. wing probably in the 17th century and the kitchen-wing was perhaps added at the same time. The original cross-wing has a two-stage buttress at the S.E. angle; the E. and S. wall of the lower floor have each a 17th-century window of two lights with a label. On the first floor, the E. end has a late 17th-century window with architrave, consoles, cornice and pediment; in the N. wall at the same level is a 15th-century doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred head and the rear-arch towards the outer face of the wall; this doorway probably opened into the upper storey of the former porch. The W. end of the wing is gabled and has three windows above one another of four, three and two four-centred lights respectively with labels. The 17th-century N. wing, occupying part of the site of the hall, has a doorway in the E. wall with a segmental arch in a square head; above it is a two-light transomed window. In the W. wall is a doorway with a four-centred head and a square label; above it is a window of two four-centred lights with a label. In the N. end are three two-light windows. The kitchen wing has a doorway similar to the N. doorway of the N. wing. The upper room has, in the S. wall, a reset 15th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a label and head-stops. Inside the building the N. wall of the cross-wing has three original doorways opening into the former screens of the hall; they have hollow-chamfered jambs and two-centred arches; the westernmost is hung with a 15th-century door; it has strap-hinges and ribs forming four trefoil-headed panels with tracery above. The Dining Room has early 16th century moulded ceiling-beams forming six panels; the late 16th-century fireplace has moulded jambs and segmental head. The Drawing Room has a late 16th-century plaster ceiling (Plate 59) of two bays with moulded ribs forming geometrical designs and floral or foliage designs as terminals; the central beam has running vine-ornament and it and the beam on the W. have a series of panels on the soffit with lions, roses, fleur-de-lis, butterfly (for Girdlington), dolphin (for Fitzjames), rose (perhaps for Young) and stork (for Storke); the late 16th-century fireplace has moulded jambs and segmental head. The room over the Dining Room has early 16th-century ceiling-beams as in the room below. The room over the Drawing Room has a 15th-century oak door with ribs forming three panels; the fireplace is similar to that in the room below. The window has 17th-century panelled linings with carved pilasters and frieze. There are several 17th-century doors. The room over the kitchen has a 17th-century fireplace with moulded jambs and square head; in the S. window is a glass achievement-of-arms of Young with the date 1615.
The Barn, N. of the house, was built early in the 18th century and has a roof of collar-beam type. Reset in the S.E. angle is a 13th-century head-corbel of considerable merit. The Pigeon House, also N. of the house, is a rectangular building of the 17th century and partly of cob-walling; the thatched roof is hipped. The Cottage, N.W. of the house, is of the 17th century and retains an original window with moulded oak frame and mullions. In the garden are a number of mediæval fragments made up into a seat.
b(6) The Chantry (Plate 38), house on the E. side of the churchyard, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in the 15th or early in the 16th century perhaps for a chantry-priest or priests of the church. It is a small rectangular structure gabled to the N.E. and S.W. and with original chimney-stacks on the N.E., S.W. and S.E. The S.E. side has a doorway with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and square label; further N.E. is a similar but reset doorway with the jambs on the inner face of the wall; the two lower windows are each of two cinque-foiled and transomed lights with a label; there are two similar windows on the upper floor and a third of two plain lights. In the S.W. and N.E. ends are quatre-foiled panels enclosing blank shields; in the N.E. end also is a window of one trefoiled light. The N.W. side has a doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred head and three two-light transomed windows similar to those on the S.E. side. Inside the building, the N.E. room has original moulded ceiling-beams and an original fireplace (Plate 46); this has moulded jambs and square head, above which are three quatre-foiled panels enclosing shields and a rosette or patera.
b(7) Dairy Farm, house 60 yards S.E. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are tiled. It was built probably early in the 16th century but the S. wall seems to have been rebuilt in the 17th century and there is a later extension on the E. The S. front has an original two-stage buttress at the former E. end of the building; the rest of the front has 17th-century three-light windows with labels and a doorway of the same date with moulded jambs and segmental arch in a square head with a label. The W. end has an original window of four lights with moulded reveals and label with returned stops; on the first floor is another original window of two cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a square head with a label and returned stops. There is a small staircase wing on the N. side. Inside the building are two late 16th-century fireplaces, one with a square head and one with a four-centred head; there is also a 16th-century doorway with moulded jambs and segmental head.
b(8) The Rectory, 110 yards E.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. In the N. wall is a 15th-century doorway which appears to be in situ, but otherwise the house seems to be of much later date. The W. wing is probably a 17th-century addition refaced in the 18th century; the main hall is of the 18th century and there is a modern E. extension. The 15th-century doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square-head with foliagespandrels and a label with one head-stop; above it is a 16th or 17th-century three-light window. The W. wing retains 17th-century windows in the N. and S. ends. Inside the building, the staircase window contains a collection of 16th and 17th-century foreign glass made by the Rev. W. H. Turner, 1835–75. The glass is mostly German and Swiss and includes scriptural scenes, saints and much heraldry.
b(9) Flamberts (Plate 206), house 780 yards E. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are tiled. The N. part of the house with the N.E. wing was built probably at two periods in the 16th century; the S. part of the house with the S.E. wing were added in the 17th century. The doorway on the E. front has moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head with a label; the windows here and elsewhere are of one to four lights, mostly with labels; those to the N. of the doorway are larger and set higher than those to the S. On the S.E. wing is a stone with the initials and date A.G. (perhaps for Gundry) 1658. A doorway with a four-centred head, on the W. front, has been brought from elsewhere. Inside the building, the Drawing Room has a late 16th-century ceiling divided by moulded and plastered beams into six bays; each bay has ribs forming a geometrical design with foliage-sprays and centre-pieces; there is some 17th-century panelling reset. The room in the N.E. wing has a plaster ceiling of about the same date; it has a lozenge-design of ribs with floral and foliage sprays at the angles; the plaster frieze has a continuous design of conventional flowers and a length with vine-scroll; here also there is a little 17th-century panelling. At the S. end of the Dining Room is a late 17th-century container or rack for bacon; the wide fireplace has been opened out. The adjoining passage has a dado of 17th-century panelling. On the first floor are two fireplaces with four-centred heads and above one of them is a plaster panel with conventional enrichment.
a(10) Hummer Farm, house ¾ m. N. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched. It was built in the 17th century, except the middle part which may be earlier. The house retains most of its original stone-mullioned windows many of them with labels; the S. doorway has moulded jambs and segmental arch in a square head with a label. Inside the building, the central room has ceiling-beams forming square panels; the fireplace has a four-centred head. Reset in the E. wall is a 12th-century doorway with a round arch of one moulded order with lozenge and rosette decoration; the jambs have each an attached shaft with a scalloped capital. Reset in the S. wall is a 14th or 15th-century moulding carved with paterae and two heads. Two other rooms have fireplaces with four-centred heads.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched or covered with modern materials. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
b(11) Cottage, on the W. side of the road 100 yards N.E. of the church, retains some original two-light windows with wood frames. The dormers are modern.
b(12) Rose and Crown Inn, 130 yards S.E. of the church, has two side-wings of early 18th-century date.
b(13) Manor Farm, house 360 yards E. of the church (Plate 40), has a rather later range at the back. It retains most of its original stone-mullioned windows, those on the ground floor with moulded labels; the front doorway has moulded jambs, square head and label.
b(14) and b(15) Cottages, on the N. side of the road 475 yards E. of the church, retain some original two and three-light windows with wood frames.
b(16) Home Farm, house on the E. side of the lane 560 yards E.N.E. of the church, was built c. 1700. The staircase has shaped wavy balusters and a dog-gate.
b(17) Cottage, 200 yards E. of (13), was built early in the 18th century.
b(18) The Moorings, house 710 yards E. of the church, has a symmetrically arranged S. front with two ranges of two-light windows; the lower windows have labels.
b(19) Cottage, at the corner of Mill Lane 710 yards due E. of the church, has end gables with flat copings and kneelers. The lintels of doors and windows are stop-chamfered and the windows have flush wood frames of two and three lights.
b(20) Cottage, two tenements 60 yards N. of (9), retains two original three-light windows with labels.
b(21) Rigg Lane Farm, house 120 yards N. of (9), has been much altered.
b(22) Flambert Cottages, range of three tenements on the E. side of the road 50 yards N. of (9), were built probably early in the 18th century.
b(23) Old School House, over ½ m. E. of the church, was built in 1678. The front has two ranges of stonemullioned windows with labels; the doorway has moulded jambs and segmental arch in a square head with a label; the door has moulded ribs forming three panels; over the doorway was formerly an inscription recording the building and endowing of the school by will of John Young in 1678. There are other original windows on the N. and W. Inside the building are three original fireplaces with moulded jambs and four-centred arches in square heads.
b(24) Poor Houses, range of three tenements 130 yards S. of (23), were built probably early in the 18th century.
b(25) Down Farm, house on the S. side of the road nearly ¾ m. E. of the church, has a panel in the W. wall with the initials and date T. and A.S. 1699 H.S.
b(26) Higher Barton, two tenements 1,130 yards E.N.E. of the church, was built probably early in the 18th century.
b(27) Cottage, on the W. side of Malthouse Lane nearly 5/8 m. E.N.E. of the church, has a hipped S. gable and retains some original three-light windows with wood frames.
b(28) Cottage, 40 yards N.E. of (27), retains some two-light windows with flush wood frames.
a(29) Cottage, nearly 600 yards N.E. of the church, has rubble walls faced with plaster. It is of late 17th-century date with a modern E. extension of one storey. The ends are gabled and the three-light windows have flush wood frames.
a(30) Anchor Farm, house ½ m. N.N.W. of the church, has a stone with the date 1617 and another indicating repairs or rebuildings in the eighties of the last century.
a(31) Barn, at Adber 1 m. 350 yards N.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys. The gables have flat copings and there are two-light windows with wood frames.
a(32) House, at Adber 90 yards N.W. of (31), now consisting of three tenements, was built c. 1700. The walls are of dressed and coursed stone. The three and four-light windows have stop-chamfered lintels and wood frames.
a(33) Batson Farm, house 50 yards N.W. of (32), retains four original three-light windows with labels. Inside the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams with ornamental stops.
a(34) House, at Adber on the N. side of the road, 1¼ m. N.N.E. of the church, has been much altered.
a(35) House, 150 yards E.N.E. of (34), retains an original four-light window with a label.
a(36) Adber Farm, house over 1¼ m. N.N.E. of the church, was built early in the 18th century.
Up Cerne, see Cerne, Up.
West Chelborough, see Chelborough, West.